Menu

Dropbox Alternatives

I have been looking at Layers of Learning curriculum. When finished, there will be 80 files, and I'm figuring the final storage needed will be about 2 GB.

My tablet is choking on files and my Dropbox is full. My netbook is about to die and I cannot count on being able to replace it, when it does. So, of course I'd be able to move files from a thumbdrive as needed by borrowing a friends computer, but I like to plan on being independent and always having immediate access to what I'm dependent on.

Is there an alternative to Dropbox that is fairly dependable that will hold 2 GB of files and has an app for the iPad mini? Of course I'll back the files up on a thumbdrive, in case the Dropbox alternative disappears, but…I'm just looking for advice from the gurus on what looks most dependable.

If you have a gmail or Microsoft account (hotmail, outlook.com, etc) you already have the solution you need.  Google Drive gives you 15GB, but that is used between your drive space and email.  MS OneDrive just increased their free storage limits to 15GB.  Both of these options have paid programs as well that are actually very reasonable.  Plus, once you start backing up things there and start using Google Docs or Office Web Apps, you will quickly realize how convenient these services are.

I tried Cloudme and made a mess. I now know there is a lot I don't know about cloud storage. :lol: I have been having disappearing files in Dropbox and Dropbox seems to fill up my devices, instead of just storing in the cloud. Now Cloudme is doing the same thing.

Okay, I do have Google and Microsoft accounts. I had a Windows 8 computer for a day before I returned it that required me to set up a Microsoft account. I do have a google account I don't know how to use; I buy my apps for my phone from Amazon. I guess I need to learn to use these accounts. Thank you.

I think I have figured out how to use Google Drive! :)

You can click on and off an option for the file to be saved on the device. This will work well for Layers of Learning, I think. I can save a unit to the device, and just unclick it after I finish it, and it will remove it from the device, but not Google Drive.

I find Google Drive to be better than Dropbox on its own.  I have had some issues with connecting Google Drive with other things (such as printing at Staples and a few things like that) but for the most part, I like the interface much better.

Since your DropBox is full, I would go with Google Drive.  I trust Google *far* more than I trust services from Microsoft. Example: Microsoft's Hotmail service is known to "silently drop" incoming emails sent to a Hotmail user. That means the sender has no idea the email did not get into the Hotmail account. Not very nice of Microsoft... 

My free DropBox account saved my rear, a few years ago, when my PC was destroyed by a nearby lightning strike.  I had our web sites on CD-RW media, but the latest versions were only on DropBox. Between the 2, I was up and running on another box, in a few days. 

GL