Menu

Sequence for AoPS?

RebeccaMary

We're finishing up with SM 5B and I'm thinking about moving over to AoPS for Pre-Algebra. If you've used AoPS, what yearly sequence did you follow? Did you use the Number Theory and Probability books or stick to the basics? Has anyone tried out the online class?

There's quite a bit on this over on the accelerated learner's board, but we just started with pre-algebra.  There's no real sequence for number theory or counting -- they can go at any point between prealgebra and calculus.  It isn't even necessary to do prealgebra before number theory, but I would recommend it.

Lots of people use alcumus online.

We're finishing up with SM 5B and I'm thinking about moving over to AoPS for Pre-Algebra. If you've used AoPS, what yearly sequence did you follow? Did you use the Number Theory and Probability books or stick to the basics? Has anyone tried out the online class?

I would recommend completing at least the first half of the Introduction to Algebra book before studying any of the other topics, including Introduction to Number Theory or Introduction to Counting and Probability.  AoPS states that the Introduction to Geometry textbook is the most demanding of its introduction level of books, and my kids found that to be true for them.

With the exception of the pre-algebra classes, the online classes move extremely fast. 

We do not follow a yearly sequence for the AoPS books. Dd moves through each book at her own speed (which is pretty fast), which meas the start and finish of a book do not correspond to the start and finish of a typical academic year.

She has taken a few online classes.

This is her sequence so far (the NT and C&P books were done concurrently w main books). She began in sixth grade when PreAlgebra was released:

PreAlgebra (book)

Intro to Algebra (book)

AMC 8/Mathcounts (class---summer)

Intro to Number Theory (book)

Geometry (class---March 7th grade to Sept 8th grade)

Intro to Counting and Probability (book---stopped 2/3 of thef way through)

Intermediate Algebra (book)

Intro to Number Theory (class this summer---as a refresher and for her high school transcript)

Precalculus (beginning this fall)

She'll be taking Intro to Counting and Probability as an online class sometime within the next 12 months (whenever it fits in with her extracurricular schedule---most classes are in the evenings here).

She will take the AoPS online calculus class during the 2015-16 year as a tenth grader and will sit the AP Calculus BC exam after some targeted test prep the month after the class ends (the class does not focus on the AP--it goes above and beyond).

I'm following because we are also finishing up 5B but I am nervous to jump onto AOPS pre-algebra. So we are taking a couple of months to do a separate book on ratios, word problems on ratios, decimals, fractions, etc. finish CWP 5 and the Process Skills 5, and then we'll start with Tabletclass prealgebra supplemented by AOPS so we get a flavor for it. I personally cannot wait until he is fully in AOPS because I am sick of supplementing Singapore (which has become necessary in 5B).

I'm following because we are also finishing up 5B but I am nervous to jump onto AOPS pre-algebra. So we are taking a couple of months to do a separate book on ratios, word problems on ratios, decimals, fractions, etc. finish CWP 5 and the Process Skills 5, and then we'll start with Tabletclass prealgebra supplemented by AOPS so we get a flavor for it. I personally cannot wait until he is fully in AOPS because I am sick of supplementing Singapore (which has become necessary in 5B).

I started DS in pre-Algebra when he was 10. It is a challenge for him, but he is committed and refuses to switch even when some problems are tough. I purchased a cheap pre-algebra textbook (Lial's) for additional problem sets should an idea need reinforcement. He should finish up within the next few months. The latter half is going much faster then the first half.

I started DS in pre-Algebra when he was 10. It is a challenge for him, but he is committed and refuses to switch even when some problems are tough. I purchased a cheap pre-algebra textbook (Lial's) for additional problem sets should an idea need reinforcement. He should finish up within the next few months. The latter half is going much faster then the first half.

Oh, I have no doubt some 10 years can handle it fine, just my specific 10 year old I think needs a bit more time on fractions, decimals, percentages, ratios. We have technically been doing "algebra" for a while now because we solve all Singapore word problems with equations, not bars, but I'd like to take a semester to cement some elementary math.

ETA: Sorry OP to derail.

You might want to ask on the high school or accelerated boards as well.

DS's plan, assuming he wants to continue with AoPS, is to work on the first part of Algebra. After he finishes the first 11 or 12 chapters, he'll decide if he wants to continue or work on another book.

My goal for his education is for him to complete Calculus by the time he graduates as the course is, in my experience, part of a traditional college prep sequence.

We did with DD:

Intro to Algebra- entire text 8th

Geometry 9th

Intermediate Algebra+Precalculus 10th

Calculus 11th

She had not interest in C&P or NT, but wanted to complete calc early so she could take calc based physics at the university in 11th grade.

With DS:

Intro to Algebra Ch. 1-13 6th grade

Ch. 14-16  + Intro to C&P 7th grade

Intro to Algebra ch. 17-22 + Geometry for few chapters 8th grade

Geometry 9th grade

Intermediate Algebra 10th grade. (currently)

She had not interest in C&P or NT, but wanted to complete calc early so she could take calc based physics at the university in 11th grade.

Do you have an opinion on C&P or NT? I have a background in finance and statistics are often used in financial modeling. I was thinking C&P might eventually be a good course for DS.

Do you have an opinion on C&P or NT? I have a background in finance and statistics are often used in financial modeling. I was thinking C&P might eventually be a good course for DS.

Dd definitely prefers NT. She would like to take the (apparently killer) Intermediate NT class as soon as it fits into her schedule.

Ds, the comp sci major, has studied topics from both the NT and C&P branches in his math and computer science classes (he was not homeschooled, btw, so that was his first introduction). He says dd should study Discrete Math as soon as she finishes the Calc sequence at the university (so that would be for her 12th grade year).

C&P is definitely useful and interesting. It was fairly easy, probably the easiest of all the books we used, and makes a nice one semester course. DD did not do the course; we had to add some probability to have her prepared for standardized tests, since none of the other AoPS volumes includes much.

I have not used NT. Number theory is fun and does have some applications in cryptography for example, but my personal feeling is that this is more something for a kid who simply enjoys math and playing with numbers, and not a vital prerequisite for any subsequent math courses even STEM minded students are going to take in high school.

Both boys completed the prealgebra book. Tentative plan is

Intro to algebra & intro to geometry - 30 months

C&P - 6 months

Number Theory - at leisure, my boys are interested in some of the topics in that book

intermediate algebra - 12 months

precalc - 12 months

We school year round and we'll very likely takes breaks between books.

ETA:

Old threads on this topic

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/469175-aops-sequence-through-high-school/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/425387-art-of-problem-solving-sequence/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/434735-would-anyone-share-their-aops-sequence/

My son is highly visual spacial, so our sequence is a bit out of order for "normal." So far there have been no issues, however. DS had also had a full year of PreAlgebra and beginning Algebra 1 with a traditional method before starting PreA with AoPS.

Pre A and Intro to Counting and Probability (completed this year with half C&P for next year)

Intro to Geometry (already enjoying but not formally)

Intro to Algebra and Intro to Number Theory (I am enjoying looking over these two if I need to correlate with Geometry next year)

Intermediate Algebra

PreCalculus

Calculus

I do not know if my son will want to do the Intermediate C&P or Number Theory courses. Currently he is not in love with math and much prefers Hum classes. This sequence gets him to dual enrollment in 11th grade. If he wanted to do the other intermediate books, that is available for each to take a full year. The Intro to C&P or Intro to Number Theory have just been fun asides during the more tedious PreA and Algebra review to keep him motivated. They are not lengthy or warranting full year unless you did both together one year. Even then, it would be a quick year. I cannot speak for the intermediate books, however. I have not seen them.