Menu

Best colored pencils?

I'm stripping our art supplies down to a variety of paints and just colored pencils. 

What brand/type/style should I invest in?

We have tried the usual brands offered at Wal-Mart, Target,  teaching supply stores. We are not impressed.

Should we an art supply store?

Is there a specific brand or style I should look for?

Is cost much greater? Is it worth it?

One of my kids likes Koh-I-Noor woodless colored pencils.  They come in sets of 12 and 24. 

I prefer Prismacolor.  If you buy a set and use up one of the colors, you can buy individual replacements at an art store.  Joann ETC and Michaels sell these pencils so you can save some $ with one of their coupons.

We have Prismacolor, but DD really loves the Prang pencils, and often chooses them over the former.

ETA: the Prang are cheaper, therefore I like them better :)  However, we use them for everything.  I think it's okay to have other VERY nice ones for special art.  My DD is very artistic and is coloring/drawing all the time though, so I like to have some not-so-expensive-but-much-nicer-than-crayola around. ;)

I like Lyra and Primsacolor. I LOVE Lyra but their pencils are thicker right? I haven't purchased them in years because we still have our Ferby's but if I remember correctly, they are on the thicker side. If you need a thin point, then Primsacolor would be a better fit. My daughter had to do an anatomy coloring book last year and her Ferby's would have been too thick. The Primsacolor were perfect because of the finer point.

Edited to add that I just checked and Lyra does make a pencil similar to Primsacolor. I'll bet they are fabulous!

Sandy

I'm looking to upgrade DD's colored pencils too. I have a huge set of Prismacolor that I get out for special occasions. Other than that, what count do you gals buy for youngers? My DD is seven. Also, is there a pencil sharpener you might recommend? We have a nice Bostitch pencil sharpener, but the warranty is voided if colored pencils are sharpened in it.

Are these the same? Dixon owns both and the pencils look the same up close, except for the logo. I have a Staples Rewards that I would like to buy pencils/colored pencils with, but they don't carry Lyra. They have Prang, though. Does anyone even like the Grooves? Or, is it just the Ferbys that are all the rage?

51DE0ljsm2L._AA160_.jpg1A3CB146-1E4F-395D-A37B90BF640993C4.jpg

Are these the same? Dixon owns both and the pencils look the same up close, except for the logo....

How interesting!  I hadn't known that Dixon had bought Lyra some years ago.  I can't answer your question though as my familiarity is solely with the Ferby line.

Regards,

Kareni

When I compare the two in the links below, the specs are exactly the same, except for the wording (which pretty much differs only in sentence structure).

http://jddist.com/prang-groove-colored-pencilsDIX28124

http://jddist.com/lyra-groove-slim-colored-pencilsDIX2821240

ETA: When I Googled Prang, I got the Dixon site. I'm guessing the difference might be American versus international distributing.

Kind of like Calico Critters is the American name for Sylvanian Families. The product lines differ as well.

Interesting.  When I googled Prang, it appears that Prang, Lyra and Ticonderoga are now owned by Fila (Italian company).  I have only used Ferby's and bought them before the merger.

I'm looking to upgrade DD's colored pencils too. I have a huge set of Prismacolor that I get out for special occasions. Other than that, what count do you gals buy for youngers? My DD is seven. Also, is there a pencil sharpener you might recommend? We have a nice Bostitch pencil sharpener, but the warranty is voided if colored pencils are sharpened in it.

I recently purchased an iPoint pencil sharpener at Costco and like the point that it sharpens because it's shorter than the one I've had for years (it's longer, making it prone to breaking and seems like it wastes more of the pencil because it grinds away more at a time).  I never had problems with sharpening colored pencils until we got some Crayola brand.  They were horrible!!  I don't know the quality of the color but the wood was much harder than my other pencils and colored pencils, and sharpening them stripped the gears on my pencil sharpener.  I will not buy them again!

I think Fila actually owns them all. On the back of my Dixon Ticonderoga pencils and Prang chalk, it says Dixon and then "A Fila Company."

I think Prang and Lyra Groove might be the same. I'm wondering whether some of the Lyra were re-branded as Prang to pull in American buyers. I know a lot of school supply lists specify Prang products now. The Groove colored pencils kind of have a cool factor to them, so I can see how some kids might want them to be different. And since they have the Prang name, they would be deemed acceptable by schools, I imagine.

How interesting!  I hadn't known that Dixon had bought Lyra some years ago.  I can't answer your question though as my familiarity is solely with the Ferby line.

Regards,

Kareni

When I used to do a lot of art, I preferred Prismacolor.  I also really liked the Aquarelles by Faber-Castell (you can add water).  

Art stores are dangerous dangerous places for me… even clicking on the Dick Blick website can cause all these random things to jump into my cart. ;)  

I also suggest trying oil pastels.  They are very fun to draw with.  

Don't forget nice paper.  Right now, you can get sketch books with decent paper at Wal-Mart and Target because of back-to-school.

Honestly, for me, it would depend on the age…artistic interest….as well as ability to take care of good materials.  If I had doubts, I'd just pick up a nice 12 pack of Crayolas.

I was tempted, but the color palette isn't that great for a child, IMO. There isn't even a gray, only one brown, a ton of blues and is lacking in the red and pink department.

http://www.prismacolor.com/products/colored-pencils/softcore-lead

For a child, the 24 color set is a nice starter for $14.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006IEEU

I found a 12 pack of the woodless Prismacolor professionals for $6.99 at Michael's, clearanced from $29.99, and the 20% off the entire store coupon worked, too! I'm half tempted to keep them for myself. DH didn't understand why I was so thrilled to find them ;)

I found a 12 pack of the woodless Prismacolor professionals for $6.99 at Michael's, clearanced from $29.99, and the 20% off the entire store coupon worked, too! I'm half tempted to keep them for myself. DH didn't understand why I was so thrilled to find them ;)

I like how you posted this twice so I could double "like" it.  :lol:  Fabulous!

I went ahead and ordered Prang Groove from Staples (so they would be free with my Reward). I think they are identical to Lyra Groove, as Hobby Lobby had both in the same slot when I looked at them in store yesterday. I received the ones I ordered yesterday afternoon. They aren't quite as creamy as Prismacolor, but better than Crayola. The 24-pack has a very good color palette. DD adores them. They are pre-sharpened, so I haven't sharpened any yet, but I am quite satisfied so far. Colors are bright.

• 2 weeks later...