Menu

Ended: Wonderful kids audio book sale on Audible right now: $3.99 and under

The Paddington book narrated by Stephen Fry is very sweet. We've listened to it before but I'm thinking of buying it so we can listen again -- it is comfort food, even for me.

There are two books narrated by Bronson Pinchot. We've only listened to the first one, but it was excellent if you like the genre that updates the fairy tales. He is an amazing narrator. I liked it as much as my son. The title is something like Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom.

We listened a while ago to the Mouse and the Motorcycle series, narrated by BD Wong and also by Cleary I think. I remember really liking them and I saw them on this sale.

I saw a Winnie the Pooh version we listened to, again years ago, and I really liked it.

We started Train Your Dragon today and are loving it. They have six other books from the series on sale, I think we'll buy them.

We also purchased:

The Boxcar Children Book 1

Swallows and Amazons

Swallowdale

Magic Marks the Spot

A Bear Called Paddington

The Mouse and the Motorcycle Series

Socks 

Pippi Longstocking

Henry Huggins

Story's End

Storybound

Oh I thought of some more!

My sons loved, loved Castle Corona. One of their all time favorite audio books. I'm tempted to buy it even though we have it on CD. I think it is Sharon Creech, which makes me wonder if they would like some of her other books even if they are girl focused.

My 12 year old and his best friend love the Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer. We have both those audios that are on sale, and my son ripped right through them.

Oh, wow! I bought a few yesterday when I saw an email stating one of the items on my wish list was one sale, but I now realize the link had sent me to just the editor's favorites, which only totaled 20. So thank you for posting this and showing me the complete list (15 pages!). Altogether I picked up:

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle

Kenny & the Dragon

The Castle Corona

Walk Two Moons

Ruby Holler

Storybound

Story's End

Land of Stories 1 & 2

Swallows and Amazons

Swallowdale

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (all 4, even though we have the books ...)

A Bear Called Paddington

Escape to Witch Mountain

I already own (and many of them paid full credits for!):

The Neverending Story

Wizard of Oz

The Little Princess

Peter Pan

Nim's Island

Mary Poppins

Boxcar Children

Beatrix Potter collection

How to Train Your Dragon (series)

George's Secret Key to the Universe

The View from Saturday (boring narration)

Charlie Bone series (fantastic narration)

I bought these:

Purchase Details The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Beatrix Potter

Black Beauty   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Anna Sewell

Diary of a Wimpy Kid   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Jeff Kinney

Magyk   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Angie Sage

A Bear Called Paddington   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Michael Bond

The Bad Beginning, A Multi-Voice Recording   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Lemony Snicket

The 39 Clues, Book 1   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Rick Riordan

Frindle   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Andrew Clements

Henry Huggins   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Beverly Cleary

George's Secret Key to the Universe   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Lucy Hawking,Stephen Hawking

Peter Pan   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: J. M. Barrie

The Boxcar Children   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Gertrude Chandler Warner

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: L. Frank Baum

The Neverending Story   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Michael Ende

The Land of Stories   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Chris Colfer

How to Eat Fried Worms   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Thomas Rockwell

Pippi Longstocking   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Astrid Lindgren

How to Train Your Dragon   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Cressida Cowell

Just added these as well. Thank you all for the great recommendations!

Purchase Details Swallows and Amazons   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Arthur Ransome

The Castle Corona   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Sharon Creech

Swallowdale   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Arthur Ransome

Walk Two Moons   (UNABRIDGED) 

Kenny & the Dragon   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Tony DiTerlizzi

The Mouse and the Motorcycle   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Beverly Cleary

Nim's Island   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Wendy Orr

Ruby Holler   (UNABRIDGED) 

Escape to Witch Mountain   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Alexander Key

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Maryrose Wood

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Christopher Healy,Todd Harris

Magic Marks the Spot   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Caroline Carlson

Story's End   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Marissa Burt

Storybound   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Marissa Burt

The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Christopher Healy

How to Train Your Dragon: How to Be a Pirate   (UNABRIDGED) 
Author: Cressida Cowell

The titles are $3.99 or under and they have a bunch of good ones such as How to Train your Dragon, The Mouse and the Motorcycle series, Amazons and Swallows and many more. I am stocking up. Thought some of you may also be interested: http://www.audible.com/mt/kidssale_ALL?page=1

Thank you very much for sharing the link! :)

Wonderful! Just visited and loaded up my cart. We LOVE our audible account. (And these deals are all available in Canada, if anyone is wondering).

I'm finding quite a lot of them (about 20 in my cart) but How to Train Your Dragon doesn't seem to be available in Canada :(

I joined audible about a month ago and was worried I was wasting money.  I love getting the credits and am amazed at how often they have great sales.  It's hard to keep DD in audio books because she goes through them so fast so I'm delighted with this sale.  We've loaded up on most of the ones listed above.  

I've been a member for about 2 years, and I don't remember seeing a children's book sale like this. Most of the sales are for more obscure books. If anyone is thinking of trying Audible, just signing up for this month and getting all these deals would be an awesome way to start!

There's definitely something up with the How to Train Your Dragon series. There is a set narrated by David Tennant and another narrated by Gerard Doyle. When I went to buy the first two books some time ago, the Tennant ones weren't available so I bought the Doyle versions which were fine. Now they are gone and the Tennant ones are on sale. I still have my Doyle ones but they don't seem to be on the site anymore that I can see. I assume it is one of those regional availability things.

Thanks for sharing! I just bought my first 5 audio books!  :D  I got the first Incorrigible Children book, The House at Pooh Corner, A Bear Called Paddington, the first Boxcar Children and Beatrix Potter's The Complete Tales.

I was tempted by a few more, but didn't want to over do it since we've never used them before.

Just for clarification - none of the Whisper-Sync books are included in this sale so they won't work for those planning on using the titles for Immersion Reading. Many titles also have a Whisper-Sync version. There are some great finds for kids who just want to listen, but if you plan to use them for reading along with audio you many want to purchase the non-sale Whisper-Sync versions.

There's definitely something up with the How to Train Your Dragon series. There is a set narrated by David Tennant and another narrated by Gerard Doyle. When I went to buy the first two books some time ago, the Tennant ones weren't available so I bought the Doyle versions which were fine. Now they are gone and the Tennant ones are on sale. I still have my Doyle ones but they don't seem to be on the site anymore that I can see. I assume it is one of those regional availability things.

Doyle was the original narrator.  Then around book 5-6 Tennant came in, but the books were abridged (really silly given how short the stories are).  Then some came unabridged, and we started getting those.  Shortly thereafter they disappeared all together with a statement dealing with rights.  Now he's back with the unabridged.  Maybe they went back and recontracted and updated the books.  Not complaining at all.  My boys are happy to see them back!

It is odd how some of the books come and go.  I've noticed it mostly with British recordings.

Just for clarification - none of the Whisper-Sync books are included in this sale so they won't work for those planning on using the titles for Immersion Reading. Many titles also have a Whisper-Sync version. There are some great finds for kids who just want to listen, but if you plan to use them for reading along with audio you many want to purchase the non-sale Whisper-Sync versions.

I bought 3 books through the sale and all of 3 of them are whisper-sync. And I have 12 more in my wish list that I'm waffling about that are also whisper-sync.    You do have to click through and check because there were a number of ones I looked at that weren't whisper-sync (including the How to Train Your Dragon series).

Have you gals looked into downloading these for free via your library? Our library uses Overdrive and we can keep .mp3 files forever by transferring them to an SD card or a Kindle (or similar device). They also have a subscription to OneClickDigital that has many classics/older books that I can download for free and keep forever.

Have you gals looked into downloading these for free via your library? Our library uses Overdrive and we can keep .mp3 files forever by transferring them to an SD card or a Kindle (or similar device). They also have a subscription to OneClickDigital that has many classics/older books that I can download for free and keep forever.

Our Overdrive titles expire after 2 weeks (renewable 3 times), even if we transfer them. (I've only tried on iPad and Kindle, not SD, but the app forces you to return them.)

I'm fairly sure it's not legal to keep the mp3 though, it kind of like borrowing a DVD from the library and copying it.

Perhaps not. It was an accidental discovery. I was trying to figure out how to get titles on our Kindles and then they just never went away. I've never noticed anything saying I need to delete them on my own. Other formats won't work on our Kindles.

I'm fairly sure it's not legal to keep the mp3 though, it kind of like borrowing a DVD from the library and copying it.

Tell a newbie, how do you actually use these audiobooks? What device do you use? Do you give them to your kids, play in car, what?

I just am not sure technically how to play them or where to fit them in to our day.

I download mine to my iPhone and to an iPad.  I can play my iPhone in the car or DD will listen to the iPad during quiet time.  No matter what devices you listen to it remembers where you left off.  

We listen to audio books in the car. I have the audible app on my phone and iPad and both can be played through my car's speakers. The kids sometimes listen to them at bed time. We also listen during the day. Meal times, while drawing, or doing Legos.

Tell a newbie, how do you actually use these audiobooks? What device do you use? Do you give them to your kids, play in car, what?

I just am not sure technically how to play them or where to fit them in to our day.

I'm a newbie, too. I first learned about Audible thing from this thread and it opened my eyes to a new world! so glad I could take advantage of the Kids' Sale. Thanks, OP! :)

If you already have an Amazon account, it's easy to log in audible.com and purchase the audiobooks you want. After you pay with your Amazon payment account, the files will show up in Audible app on your tablet, either iPad or Kindle, or phone. If you already own an e-book and its audible file that have a whispersync function, you can read or listen to the same book switching between Kindle and Audible apps on various devices you use. It remembers where you stopped last time. If you have a Kindle tablet, you can read and listen to the same book at the same time in one app, called "immersion reading." Most classic e-books on Amazon are free and have a whispersync function with a $.99 audible file.

We listen to the Audible any time we can... during breaks, in the car and before going to bed. Far more convenient than carrying a CD player and CDs around!

ETA: I didn't join the Audible's monthly plan and don't plan to.

The Incorrigible Children books are quite chaste. Absolutely no concern about bad language. I read aloud the series, and I haven't listened to the Audible narrator yet. Even annoying narrators kind of grow on me if I give them a chance, so don't be put off if you don't love it at first. I read aloud the first 3 books when my son was 10 and he re-read them at 12. We'll probably listen to the recording in a year or two, when my youngest can keep up. The writing is more complex than most modern children's books.

Both my kids from a young age used them to wind down for a nap or at bedtime. It was just a necessity for my sanity that turned into a great virtue. I did read alouds in the evening too but these worked even when I was too tired. In those days we really liked ones that had short segments.

Now my kids are 12 and 15. The older one listens to podcasts but also to novels and non fiction. The younger one listens to audios before bed. About a year ago we started listening most evenings in the living room to candlelight. I'll be sad when he grows out of it. He was a late blooming reader who has been exposed to a lot via audio.

We have a ton of CDs but find audible now so much more convenient. We use it a lot for local or long distance travel too

Both my kids from a young age used them to wind down for a nap or at bedtime. It was just a necessity for my sanity that turned into a great virtue. I did read alouds in the evening too but these worked even when I was too tired. In those days we really liked ones that had short segments.

Now my kids are 12 and 15. The older one listens to podcasts but also to novels and non fiction. The younger one listens to audios before bed. About a year ago we started listening most evenings in the living room to candlelight. I'll be sad when he grows out of it. He was a late blooming reader who has been exposed to a lot via audio.

We have a ton of CDs but find audible now so much more convenient. We use it a lot for local or long distance travel too

I guess I'm just not sure where/how to insert it into our day. Do you all give your kids your iPads or iPhones? We only have one and when they're in quiet time, I'm using it. We have an active house with lots of little ones and noise, so although I'd love for my olders to listen to books, I'm not sure how they would. I have to admit, I'm just not sure about handing over my iPad with email, my personal notes, etc. We also do not drive a lot, so do to think we'd use it there.

At any rate, I bought a few because I can't pass up a good deal! We'll see how it goes:-)

I guess I'm just not sure where/how to insert it into our day. Do you all give your kids your iPads or iPhones? We only have one and when they're in quiet time, I'm using it. We have an active house with lots of little ones and noise, so although I'd love for my olders to listen to books, I'm not sure how they would. I have to admit, I'm just not sure about handing over my iPad with email, my personal notes, etc. We also do not drive a lot, so do to think we'd use it there.

At any rate, I bought a few because I can't pass up a good deal! We'll see how it goes:-)

Audible books can be burned to CD, so can be listened to in anything that plays CDs, they can be listened to on MP3 players, iPads or any computer. My kids listen on our laptop. Sometimes during lunch or while coloring in the living room.

I'm not sure how TV is delegated in your household, but audiobooks make a nice substitute. (TV is extremely limited here.) DD listens to them constantly...while she plays and even while running around outside. She listens to them during lunch, in the car, any time at all really. In addition to .mp3 files, we borrow CD audiobooks from the library. She listens to books over and over. Sometimes, she'll get on a Geronimo Stilton or A-Z Mystery jag and I'll have to limit them (although, she does learn a lot of vocabulary and idioms from GS). She has her own Kindle and a little portable CD player. She has headphones and a personal speaker that she can use for both.

Next year, I will be taking better advantage of audiobooks for school. I will require her to listen to specific books related to our history study during lunch. (Two that I have slated are Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates, and The Jungle Book.) If she gets hooked (as I know she will), she can continue listening to them as she pleases.

The number of books a child can be exposed to can increase many times over by incorporating audiobooks. It took me several weeks to read The Middle Moffat to DD at bedtime, but it only took a day for her to listen to it again. Imagine the possibilities if you present a new auidiobook to your child every couple of days. That's a lot of literature exposure over the course of year! Something else DD does is let her Kindle read to her while she plays. It's a computer-generated voice without inflection, but it's not bad. Quite good, actually. If your DC can get into that, your book choices are endless. Rufus M. is a 256-page book. She listened to her Kindle read it to her in a day.

At first, I was afraid audiobooks were too much like TV, but the way my DD in starting to speak, I'm actually a little jealous. Sometimes, she sounds so educated and cultured, I just have to shake my head. Amazing! And, she constantly surprises me with tidbits of trivia. I know it's the book exposure. I'm a believer now.