Menu

Ended: Wonderful kids audio book sale on Audible right now: $3.99 and under

I bought DS the Sansa Clip (audible compatible mp3 player) for around $30 on Amazon. (I wasn't keen on handing over my ipod.) Best. Purchase. Ever. He has listened to hours and hours and hours of audiobooks.

Sometimes we plug it in to a speaker and all listen :)

I bought DS the Sansa Clip (audible compatible mp3 player) for around $30 on Amazon. (I wasn't keen on handing over my ipod.) Best. Purchase. Ever. He has listened to hours and hours and hours of audiobooks.

A friend of DD's has something like that.  It takes an SD card and you just load a book to it.  It works great and it a lot cheaper than an iPod.  

I have the four books for the incorrigible children of Ashton place in my cart. Opinions on these books? The reviews are pretty well mixed on the audible site. Will I need to worry about language in them?

I'm over half way with the audio version of the first book; I hadn't read these before, and this is my first audio book. The language is a non issue. I haven't heard anything at all that raises any flags.

The narration is good. One character's voice is very grating, and it's supposed to be. She's quite obnoxious. The kids' voices are....well, they were raised by wolves so it's a bark/speak combo. Odd. Listening to the audio version made me think I could never do the book justice reading it aloud, but by listening to it, I'm definitely picking up a few tips here & there.

I'm quite smitten with this book, particularly the governess. I look forward to seeing the children grow as time goes on :) 

I ended up purchasing all 4 of the incorrigible children books...here's hoping we like them. I also bought the first how to train your dragon book, and it is so good! My son wishes I had bought the others too. Lol. The sale better end soon or I'm gonna sink another $40-$50 into audio book. Yikes!

What age is How to train your dragon appropriate for? And what would be the advantages of them listening to it versus reading it? I always wonder how to make that decision....

Would you mind giving a bit more detail about this?What does he listen to it on?

I guess I'm just not sure where/how to insert it into our day. Do you all give your kids your iPads or iPhones? We only have one and when they're in quiet time, I'm using it. We have an active house with lots of little ones and noise, so although I'd love for my olders to listen to books, I'm not sure how they would. I have to admit, I'm just not sure about handing over my iPad with email, my personal notes, etc. We also do not drive a lot, so do to think we'd use it there.

At any rate, I bought a few because I can't pass up a good deal! We'll see how it goes:-)

My guy listens at night before bed on my ipad. He knows, at that time, he is only allowed to use the audible app and only listen to the books that are already downloaded onto it.

I listen at bed time, too. I use my android phone and my earbuds.

He sometimes listens while he plays legos. I also let him listen when he's in the tub. I just keep the ipad out of his reach.

I remember reading before that if you subscribe you can get 30% off? So if I do that can I get 30% off the sale prices as well or are sales not included?

Sale prices are not included.  Also the Kindle version price is not included (where you get a cheaper price because you bought the Kindle version). 

Today is the last day of the sale. I bought the first Train Your Dragon book and am wondering if I should buy the rest that are on sale. Have any Christian homeschoolers on here read the whole series? Is there anything controversial or that I should be aware of in the other books?  I'm also considering the Incorrigible Children books.

Thank you so much for this!  I caught the tail end of the sale and ended up spending over $100 on some really great books!  I'm very excited, we'll be living on the road soon and this is perfect!

Question about membership:  If I do the free trial (I really want the dramatised Winnie the Pooh collection that is $28!), and then I pay $14.95 per month do I get to choose any book for my free book each month?  Or does it have to be valued at $14.95 or less?  Just confused how the credits work.

Thank you so much for this!  I caught the tail end of the sale and ended up spending over $100 on some really great books!  I'm very excited, we'll be living on the road soon and this is perfect!

Question about membership:  If I do the free trial (I really want the dramatised Winnie the Pooh collection that is $28!), and then I pay $14.95 per month do I get to choose any book for my free book each month?  Or does it have to be valued at $14.95 or less?  Just confused how the credits work.

Most books are just one credit, even if their marked price is more than the price of a credit. That's what makes membership a good deal.

Most books count as one credit, even some compilations such as the Ramona series and Henry Huggins series count as one. There is a dramatized Bible that is like 90 hours or something crazy like that long and it counts as one credit :)

There are very few 2-credit books - there was only one I wanted, and now I can't remember what it was. Some books are pretty expensive - like $40 - and still just one credit. I save my credits for the expensive ones and pay the discounted price for cheap ones.

How often does this sale come around? My son seriously wants the rest of the train your dragon series, but I'm not wanting to spend anothe $25. Lol

I'd get them....I've been a member for a couple of years and this is the first Kids book sale that I remember. :)

What age is How to train your dragon appropriate for? And what would be the advantages of them listening to it versus reading it? I always wonder how to make that decision....

I listened to book 1 for about an hour and a half with my son--age 9. He was drawing, I was sewing. It was such an interesting book really. Im actually curious about what happens in the rest of the series. I'm also considering getting a membership so I can get something for me to listen to when I'm up late at night sewing. Just need to decide which audio book to get for me. :)

And now we are listening to Peter Pan before going to sleep. Instead of watching a movie with friends. All of the kids are quiet and interested.

We listen on the iPad and then have the ability to play it through the TV using the AppleTV, so the sound is good. I really am beginning to love Amazon. We also tried the whisper sync feature and that's pretty cool too.

That's a great deal, then, I might join for a few months at least.  I want:

Our Island Story

The Collected Stories of Winnie the Pooh

SWB's History of the Ancient World and the next two

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Also maybe some of the Apologia science and worldview, and some of the Great Courses.

I'm making a wishlist.  :)

All of these would be pretty expensive without the membership.

The titles are $3.99 or under and they have a bunch of good ones such as How to Train your Dragon, The Mouse and the Motorcycle series, Amazons and Swallows and many more. I am stocking up. Thought some of you may also be interested: http://www.audible.com/mt/kidssale_ALL?page=1

I think you need to start an email notification list, lol!  You are always posting about great sales.  I'm going to start stalking you!!  In a nice way, of course! :laugh:

I probably spent at least $150. I kept going back for more! I did make a spreadsheet with all of our audiobooks on it, both Audible and mp3, so they won't get "lost." I even ordered Sansa clips for the boys so they can listen easier, and I don't have to hook up the iPad in the car. Now I have to cut myself off. We probably have more than we could listen to.