Menu

So what do y'all think of Gary North on classical education?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gary North. Why do I know that name?

I do not idealize Ancient Greece (or Rome) though North in that telling is completely unaware of the nuances that did exist in the practice of pederasty and slavery.

North is also apparently unaware that modern classical education is based on its Medieval practice. The Medievals were quite aware of the "problems" of classical culture, and sought to separate the dross. The best way to do this, and where the lines should be drawn between what was dross and what wasn't was a spirited debate. Should young men study Aristotle? This was a serious question, quite beyond the basic application of biblical morality to the issues of slavery or pederasty. Interestingly enough, it was the "Enlightenment" thinkers who cast off that biblical application to classical studies that led to the growth of slavery in the Western world during Imperialism. So yeah, I do think it is necessary to apply different moral principles on top of mere classical studies. And I don't think that makes me a "little old Christian woman" or a fool. It makes me smart. Much smarter than North.  :laugh:

I saw the above article posted in a Facebook group.  I only skimmed it.  My main thought was that I'm not trying to replicate the culture, obviously.  I don't agree with many things that have occurred in American history. Do I avoid teaching them to my children?  That's illogical reasoning, IMO.

However, many of the other posters in the FB group agreed wholeheartedly with the article...

I assume he is annoyed that pederasty and slavery aren't taught? To be fair some British boarding schools taught both until reasonably recently. But I am not really sure why he cares so much. It may help of course if I knew who he was.

It may help of purse if I knew who he was.

Gary North is a Christian Reconstructionist and was the son-in-law of Rushdoony. He is one of those loons that wants the US to be a theocracy under the Old Testament, including stoning adulterers (which I'm guessing would include anyone divorced and remarried). He was also a Y2K nut predicting (hoping?) the world would all but end. In short, he's a total nut, not to mention a know-it-all.

Let me tell you what I really think of him...

Yikes... My husband likes Gary North (he and I have quite differing opinions in this area)

I'm not sure I can come up with words for this. I am not a classical educator and I STILL feel offended by this piece. Hmmm... I don't think this has helped DH sway me to his way of thinking any!

DH is behind me wishing to clarify that he does not like THIS article either :P

I too was wondering why the name seemed familiar to me.   I finally realized that I was conflating Gary Hart and Ollie North.  

Lol. I think I just remember him for previous discussion here of Rushdooney and/or Paul.

It occurred to me that this tirade may be a bit of infighting. Some people who hang around the Classical banner are Reconstructionist/Dominionist. North seems to be really laying down the line that he thinks this is completely unacceptable. Of course, the better alternative may just be his own curriculum, so....that makes sense.  ^_^

I have never heard of this guy before. The "letter" is condescending and weird. I couldn't read it all because it is so poorly written. I am not sure why anyone would consider him a classical education or curriculum expert. 

I couldn't read it all because it is so poorly written.

He thinks he's a good writer! I think he even sells something about about how to write better. I've read probably a few hundred of his articles over the years and they are always stilted with just a few sentences per paragraph. Right before I stopped reading his drivel I noticed that it often seemed like he had posted an article before he finished writing it - the last few paragraphs appeared to be missing. He often never proved the point the title suggested the articl would be about.