Menu

I read The Elements by Ellen McHenry today.

ScoutTN

I learned more from this than I did in a whole year of high school chemistry.

Perhaps I am just more motivated now?!

It will be a fun curriculum for us, I think. Doing all the photocopying now b/c if I wait, we won't end up doing the activities and the games look very fun.

It will be interesting to see how much DS7 gets from this. He will like all the videos, especially the explosions!

It says ages 8-13. Mine are 9 and 7 and don't show extreme interest in science (to this point anyway) so I am not expecting them to get it all. But if they get the big stuff, they will be far ahead of where I was at their ages!

I figure that I can do it again with Ds later and build upon what he already knows.

Please tell me what age group this is for? I have completely forgotten...lol. Thanks!

"An introduction to chemistry for ages 8 to 13. This is a full curriculum and includes both a student text and a teacher's section with additions games, crafts, songs, skits and experiments. The writing style is easy to understand and often includes whimsical humor. The activities are high-content. The topics covered include the structure of atoms, how atoms bond (covalent, ionic, metallic), electron orbitals and shells, the octect rule, the history of the Periodic Table, and a look at each group on the Periodic Table. After using this curriculum, the student is ready to tackle high school chemistry without fear."

Ellen McHenry's programs are just fantastic.  She doesn't simplify science but delves deeply into topics.  She has such a beautiful way of making complex concept easy to understand.  Combined with the songs, games, and hands-on activities, it's such a kid-friendly curriculum.  We have thoroughly enjoyed all of her science programs.

I am using this with a 6th grader and a 4th grader and it is excellent (actually we think everything by Ellen McHenry is excellent).  We've had to skip a couple of things, because some of it is a little beyond their comprehension, but they have done really well with it.  My 9 yro can do Lewis Dot Diagrams, they can tell you how many electrons are in outer orbitals, they know a number of the elements and their properties/symbols, etc.  We've been supplementing with The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe.  It shows pictures of each element and its properties, what they're used for, etc.        

The Botany book is amazing!!!!!  We are using the elements and carbon chemistry this year and I cannot friggin wait!  She is a master teacher!  I learned not only about botany but her explanation of photosynthesis floored me!  Honestly, I now understand chemical bonds and how they are formed.  I highly recommend anything she does.