Menu

What school supplies will you buy?

We're gonna buy ALL THE THINGS!!!! I'll probably overbuy. But I don't want to ask for input and end up secondguessing myself, so, as I said - ALL THE THINGS! Pens, check. Notebooks, check. Graph paper... probably. I don't know if we ever used up the reams of graph paper we bought when *I* was in school. I think it ended up shoved in the front room somewhere.... Crayons, markers, colored pencils, paint, paper, glue? Check, check, double check, aaaaand - check-check-check! Gonna buy everything!

Except pencils. We have a surfeit of pencils, which is annoying because I freaking *hate* pencils. Every year, I'd look at the school supply lists and say "okay, this is it, they're going to say the kids need pens" and every year it was more flipping pencils. (And no binders. Apparently, schools around here have decided it is less confusing for the kids to juggle a bajillion marble notebooks and folders than to have one, neat, organized looseleaf binder. I don't get it. Maybe they start using looseleafs in middle school, but as our local middle school is so awful it reeks of sulfer and brimstone (not to mention farts), we'll never know!)

a pack of disposable fountain pens.

Disposible fountain pens? These exist?

We're gonna buy ALL THE THINGS!!!! I'll probably overbuy. But I don't want to ask for input and end up secondguessing myself, so, as I said - ALL THE THINGS!

:iagree:

Even if I don't get to actually buy them I am going to put them on an Amazon wish list and look at pictures of them because that's how I roll.

I buy things as needed though January is the time things go on sale here so certain things get left til then.

My children are little so we have: pencils, pencil crayons, erasers, a sharpener and a ruler for the 6 year old

: crayons, pastels, felt tip markers, twistable crayons, tempera paints for both

: exercise books - unlined for the youngest, large and Irish lines for the eldest

: my eldest loves the pretty book covers so in January we may buy a pack of those just cause they are cute and keep her happy

: lever arch files - (we do not have 3 ring binders and everyone just uses a normal two hole punch)

: a few nature study books for the eldest who still draws and writes

: children's scissors

: colored board and possibly some colored paper

: pencil boxes for each child - we did not have these earlier this year and it was chaos, now that we have them it is easier.

We don't seem to need much this year.  I tend to shop as needed, and miss sales, silly me.  But we'll probably go and grab some fun binders (are the Better Binders ever going to go on sale??), and crayons for the little one.

I did buy a student planner, and am disproportionately excited about it:  it was one of these if anyone wants to see what a nerd I am!

Oh, and for the PP whose kiddo is interested in architecture:  this looks like fun!  Maybe you could find a deeper discount somewhere else, not sure.  

I know it sounds ridiculous to spend $10 on crayons, but I did last night at Walmart. They had the packs of crayons in just neon colors, pastels, camo, etc. I just had to have them. I also bought more pencils. My school supply addiction needs to stop.

I know it sounds ridiculous to spend $10 on crayons, but I did last night at Walmart. They had the packs of crayons in just neon colors, pastels, camo, etc. I just had to have them. I also bought more pencils. My school supply addiction needs to stop.

I saw those, but we have so many crayons already. I just threw out about half of our crayons a few days ago (the really cheap ones) and we still have tons left. I think we'll break out the Crayola crayon maker and make some new colors (except I melt the crayons in a small saucepan on the stove and then pour into the crayon molds--it's faster).

NONE!

LOL..but that is just because I am soo overloaded! I have bought too much for fun through the years.

However, I am out of glue. SOMEONE took the box of glue down and left it on the floor of the playroom. The 2 yr old had just learned how to take lids off. All the glue got dumped.

My 10 yr old would like to learn some architecture so I am looking to find something for that..but not just a Cad program. He wants to draw floor plans and such.

Have you tried Google SketchUp? I'm not sure if it does what you want or not, but it's there.

Also, for the person who wanted a globe (wish we could tag people here like on FB!): check yard sales. My ILs had one that they didn't need anymore, so we have it now. Yes, a few things are a little different (like Europe, and it has the USSR), but the shape and mountains and all are the same, so we just make a note of any differences, and the kids shrug and think it's interesting that the names and boundaries were a little different when I was a kid, and that's it. Also, we had inflatable globes, albeit without the texture for the mountains, for a while, and I think they came from Oriental Trading.

I have plenty of spiral notebooks, coloring pencils, scissors, glue, and the like.

Earlier this summer, I bought a giant box of cheap mechanical pencils. Today, I bought some highlighters, a new protractor/ compass set, and 32 paper folders with pockets and fasteners.

I think that covers all my office/ school supply needs. :)

Mandy

I have a list on our white board. I think we'll hit Target this week. Maybe again in a few weeks if Mead Five Star notebooks go on sale.

-glue

-glue sticks

-scissors! Several pairs, only a good brand

-sharpies

-black retractable ball point pens

-Mead Five Star single subject notebooks (I don't buy cheap notebooks anymore--they drive me crazy)

-combination locks--14 yo is off to high school and I think she needs them for band and PE

Need to check my stock pile of index cards. May get some kind of post-its for book marks. Need to find out what dd's school requests, probably Kleenex, a ream of paper, and white board markers.

I need a globe. The toddler peeled ours. Where can you get a globe these days? Walmart didn't have any. I wanted one of these, but they weren't in the budget this year.  :D

I found a REALLY cool Leapfrog one on Craigslist for $10!! I love it! There was also a plain one for the same price, so I would check there!!

This was a good post to make sure I don't forget anything. Last year I had to get a list of specific things for DS's private school but now I can get what *I* want to get muhahaha!

Just bought:

Glue sticks (some small quarter ones)

Pencil box (DD needed one, DS already had one from last year)

Printer ink (although I don't really classify that as a school supply)

Dollar Tree art kits for quick art projects for 4yo

Still need:

Comp books (for kids to stick stickers in)

Ticonderoga pencils

Pencil caps (Paper Mate?)

Easy crayons for 1yo?

Dividers

Sharpies

Dry erase markers?

Page protectors (for practice wipe off sheets for the 4yo)

Pencil sharpener(s)

K/1st lined paper

Card stock

Clip board (for my own personal use)

I bought a couple of bottles at Walgreens yesterday for .49 cents...just in case that's the cheapest I can find. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for lower, but school supplies don't go as cheap as they did several years ago.

The Elmer's school glue seems to be $0.50, at least at stores around here. You might find other brands for less.

Kept it very simple and very cheap this year. My kids only lik markers which they have and prisnacolors which they have. They don't care about name brand folders.they do care about name brand pencils. So we bought:

Lined paper

One five star 1.5 inch lay flat binder

5 folders

Tocondergas 8 boxes

Tons of pens for me

Index cards

One 7.00 planner from amazon for my 7th grader

That's it. We just don't use the fancy stuff so I don't bother anymore. All m kids care about is good pencils. They would shrug if I bought fac folders. They ooh abd aah and hug me for buying good pencils. Love that!

They already had pink pearls and a good sharpener.

My son will use a paper bag to cover his expensive books.

My list is long and I probably won't get everything on it. Okay, I definitely won't get everything on it. But hey, this is my first official year so I have to go overboard with something, right? I think that's a rule I read somewhere. If I'm going overboard with anything, I vote for school supplies, since they are super fun!!

pencils, Ticonderoga pencils, electric pencil sharpener, erasers, crayons, markers, colored pencils, highlighters, pens, glue sticks, paper clips, sticky notes, Scotch tape, notebook paper, composition books, 3 ring binders, binder tab dividers, zippered pencil pouches with the gromets for putting in binders, big dry erase board, lots of dry erase markers, easel, art supplies, box of printer paper, laser printer, laminator, laminating sheets, clip boards, backpack for school on the go, tablet for school use, some sort of speaker thing for listening to music and audiobooks in the kitchen (open to suggestions... I am technically challenged.)

Um...  Maybe we need more glue sticks.  We always need more clear tape.  I have to buy dry erase markers on a constant basis.

You live here too? I never have enough glue sticks, clear tape, or dry erase markers. I have no idea what my kids do with so much tape. Maybe I don't want to know.

You live here too? I never have enough glue sticks, clear tape, or dry erase markers. I have no idea what my kids do with so much tape. Maybe I don't want to know.

Well, I have found rolls of tape outside, in the basement, in cabinets that have no business holding tape (or even anything the children should be into), in pretty much every room in the house...  I don't really want to know either.

I just placed my Amazon order (Office Max and Staples carts aren't filled yet and we still haven't swung by Dollar Tree, Grocery Outlet, target, etc. yet) and am going to reward myself for cleaning this house by hanging my Blackboard and my poster sized Meeting Book scans for Saxon One so that ds can say, "What's that?" until after the big canning job is done and we can start school.

Not that I'm done buying school supplies or anything......

It's the most wonderful time of the year......

P.S. What do you call those things that aren't quite file folders but aren't quite binders either but will get me by with keeping the .pdf  printouts from turning into mess that gets thrown out with the trash until I can get one of those machines to do spiral binding at home? I mean the lightweight cardboard things that work with a three hole punch and should be in packages of five or ten in the $1 aisle in a few weeks?

Exercise books. The real ones. Not the composition books they use in the US. Botany and quad ruled books too. I will have to load my parents up with stationary next time they visit the states. It is so silly really. But to much cheaper.

When we used to cover our books we used brown paper or wrapping paper and then used plastic or contact paper over top of them. You could also use all the pretty colored contact paper. But I preferred the brown paper as it allowed us to use stickers and pictures from magazines to decorate our books. I love back to school time.

What are botany books? Do you mean a botany notebook? Do such things exist?

P.S. What do you call those things that aren't quite file folders but aren't quite binders either but will get me by with keeping the .pdf  printouts from turning into mess that gets thrown out with the trash until I can get one of those machines to do spiral binding at home? I mean the lightweight cardboard things that work with a three hole punch and should be in packages of five or ten in the $1 aisle in a few weeks?

Prong folder w/o pockets?  Edit--Just looked online, I can only find them with pockets. Those are .15 at Staples & Walmart.

Prong folder w/o pockets?  Edit--Just looked online, I can only find them with pockets. Those are .15 at Staples & Walmart.

Many thanks! I knew they were dirt cheap and they're plenty cute enough. I don't have ANYTHING with ds2's kindy handwriting on it to look at when he's ds1's age and go "Awwwwwwwww!"

What are botany books? Do you mean a botany notebook? Do such things exist?

They are blank on one page and lined on the opposite side. Super useful. We alway used the blank side to glue things in. They were very useful for geography. The blanks page was good for maps or flags and the lined pages were good to write facts.

Well, I have found rolls of tape outside, in the basement, in cabinets that have no business holding tape (or even anything the children should be into), in pretty much every room in the house...  I don't really want to know either.

That's why I'm buying this guy. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y52D5G/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't imagine he'll go wandering off, though it may mean hiding him on a tall shelf in a locked closet.

They are blank on one page and lined on the opposite side. Super useful. We alway used the blank side to glue things in. They were very useful for geography. The blanks page was good for maps or flags and the lined pages were good to write facts.

But they're not with giant wide ruled lines for kindergarteners?  Because I'd love to have some of those.  Anyone know where to find them here in the states?

But they're not with giant wide ruled lines for kindergarteners? Because I'd love to have some of those. Anyone know where to find them here in the states?

This? There are many different cover designs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1496164768

"with this 8.5 x 11" blank and college-rule lined notebook. With blank left pages and lined right pages, you will be able to express your thoughts and ideas visually and verbally on facing pages."

But they're not with giant wide ruled lines for kindergarteners? Because I'd love to have some of those. Anyone know where to find them here in the states?

Ahhh but they are. They are ruled for all grades. Yes I would love to know where to source these affordably in the states too.

mmm,

I don't know how translate it: 'covering paper'?

School-attending children cover their books here with special covering paper.

It keeps the book in good condition (so easier to resell}

When dd was young we followed the Flemish AND the Dutch requirements, so to make a difference between 'history' and 'history' I covered all her books, each subject its own covering.

As we add some subjects next year, I'm in search for new covering paper.

I think we would say contact paper. Other than the paper bag method, and fabric, I believe this is what some people use. It's more of a thin plastic material. What a great idea! I can't believe I forgot how valuable it would be to do this!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y52D5G/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't imagine he'll go wandering off, though it may mean hiding him on a tall shelf in a locked closet.

I use my tape dispenser as a paperweight as well.

I had a weighted tape dispenser for dc that I got at a dollar store. It went missing for a while--they do walk away, apparently--and I thought I'd have to get a new one. I looked at one store, Walmart, (forgot to look at the others because it wasn't on my list), and the only one I could find was this: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Dispenser-Magic-Inches-C30-SHOE-B/dp/B004LP6NLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406223728&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+tape+dispenser+shoe Not really what I want for the kids, in the schoolroom. Not to mention it costs a lot more than the $1 one. Fortunately dd10 found the dispenser on her (very messy) dresser.

Today I discovered that we have NOT ONE SINGLE eraser in our entire house. So, I will be buying 50 or so erasers.

Maybe they are all taped together with the tape from my house and hidden away.

He's pretty. I want him.

Today I picked up some glue sticks, scissors (also always disappearing), Staedtler erasers and pencils (thanks for tip about them being on sale at Staples!), Hand held pencil sharpeners, tape, a ruler, some washable markers for 5 yr old.

I need more but I'll have to wait until payday.

• 6 months later...