Menu

I am 47 and had a successful ablation two years ago. Haven't had more than a spot of pink since.  I still have other signs of my cycle (cervical mucus).  Dh still looks really, really good about one week a month.  I have random periods of disturbed sleep - not being able to go to sleep or waking in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep.  I often have word finding difficulties.  I feel like I am more tired than I used to be with the same activity level, and the heat makes me want to pass out, where it did not previously.  I have joint pains in my hands sometimes, particularly upon awakening, but I also have pain with opening tight jars and bottles.  No hot flashes or other signs of menopause.  Having had the ablation, I cannot look to the cessation of periods as a sign so it is a bit confusing.

Mostly just reading along.  :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had doctor's appt today for something else but I asked him about my memory issues & mental fogginess. He says it's probably from general anesthesia (back surgery 5 months ago)...or hormones. I'm going to give it a little longer & see.

I just had a overflow in the breadmaker which made a mess. I almost threw the whole thing out! Is this an over reaction? :)

Are there non-hormonal options? I'm at risk for breast cancer.

I am probably going to have my ovaries and tubes removed later this year due to inheriting BRACA gene. The advice I have received is that certain hormonal treatments can be used if carefully managed. In the meantime I am definately entering menopause and I don't like it.

I think I am most concerned about the affect on mine and dh's TeA life.  We have no issues now, and I don't look forward to the physical and hormonal changes.  I have experienced the hormonal affects of desire during pregnancy (hello, teenage boy hormones) and nursing (repelled at the thought of intimacy) so I know how powerful this is.  Please tell me honestly if lack of desire is inevitable.  I have a friend who is postmenopausal who takes some sort of pill once a week to make her have desire.  Is this what it boils down to?

I bought this today at Wally World to use during my hot flashes. If it were cheaper I'd have gotten lots more. I plan to put an ice cube in w/ the water to really cool myself off.

I warned DH that it might wake him up at night when I use it.

[

In the last two weeks the number of "slow burn" episodes a day has increased. I'm blaming this thread.

I bought this today at Wally World to use during my hot flashes. If it were cheaper I'd have gotten lots more. I plan to put an ice cube in w/ the water to really cool myself off.

I warned DH that it might wake him up at night when I use it. 

0075524711677_500X500.jpg

Thank you, Angie, I WAAAAAAAAAAAAANT one, preferably a purple one sticking out of the top of my Christmas stocking. :D

I intend to use it in public very unapologetically. Perhaps that will help me regain some of my lost "cool homebirthing crunchy chick who wears purple" points. ;)

It turns out that limiting soy for the past few years was a very stupid failed experiment. I'm not doing that again until I've been period-free for at least a year, and if I do go back to a low soy diet in the future, it will be based entirely on my own research and my own educated opinion, not soley for the sake of shutting up the condescending comments of random strangers who don't have a clue what it's like to live in this body.

I am, however, limiting contact with WAP/Paleo folks because I don't feel THAT much better and nobody wants to hear their dietary choices disparaged as much as I don't have the self control not to do at the moment.

Yes, I have heard of Weston A. Price. He scares me at least as much as the threat of all out nuclear war did when when I was a small child, that is when he doesn't cause me to fly into a murderous rage for no apparent reason.

Now what was that you were saying about the contents of my grocery cart again? :p

I am almost 52, still having periods and having 30 hot flashes per day. Ack!!! I have tried soy, black cohosh, and nothing helps, not even prescription estrogen and progesterone cream. No desire, whatsoever. :ack2:

The only consolation is the article I read staating that women who have more hot flashes have lower rates of breast cancer.

Is there a way to jump start your period?  If I don't start tomorrow, heads are going to roll!  sigh.  Thank goodness most of my cycles do not start this way.  I blame this on perimenopause.

PMS day 1 - I felt like something below the surface of my skin was about to erupt.

I shared this on Facebook.

16yo comes in my bedroom and asks, "Mom, are you okay?"
Me: "No, I'm having pms. I feel like <pause> a demon is trying to come out of me."
And then I start giddily laughing because I have found the perfect description of pms. 

*note: it was only funny for a few minutes.

PMS day 2 - I am vacillating between blah and limp noodle with brain fog thrown in at various times of the day.  I hate it when I can't think straight.

I never thought I would would WANT to start, but this has been torture.  Get on with it already!

((((((((((((Polly))))))))))))

I feel you. I'd MUCH rather have a period than teA, even with Neil Young (couldn't care less that he's Neil Old now, I like what's inside of him) or Brad Pitt in a time machine.

If it helps any at all, I'm not as good at recognizing PMS as you are but I do remember waking up one morning with a sudden good outlook on the world and sheets that needed some hydrogen peroxide and realizing that everything wasn't REALLY as horrid as I'd thought it was the night before after a 100+ day cycle.

I love your description. Hope you're bleeding soon.

Is there a way to jump start your period? If I don't start tomorrow, heads are going to roll! sigh. Thank goodness most of my cycles do not start this way. I blame this on perimenopause.

PMS day 1 - I felt like something below the surface of my skin was about to erupt.

Me: "No, I'm having pms. I feel like <pause> a demon is trying to come out of me."

And then I start giddily laughing because I have found the perfect description of pms.

PMS day 2 - I am vacillating between blah and limp noodle with brain fog thrown in at various times of the day. I hate it when I can't think straight.

I never thought I would would WANT to start, but this has been torture. Get on with it already!

I call it creeping anxiety...felt like something was crawling up my body into my scalp.

I'm still in my 30s and not sure it's actually perimenopause, but I can really relate to some of this. I have been feeling really irritable, waking up at night feeling annoyed, my feet are super hot in bed (they turn bright red), and I definitely have that creepy-crawly-itchy feeling. My heart races at random times, I've had a couple migraines recently (first time since high school), and I feel anxious a lot. I've never even experienced much PMS before this, so this is all new territory for me. :-/. Oh, the joys.

I'm still in my 30s and not sure it's actually perimenopause, but I can really relate to some of this. I have been feeling really irritable, waking up at night feeling annoyed, my feet are super hot in bed (they turn bright red), and I definitely have that creepy-crawly-itchy feeling. My heart races at random times, I've had a couple migraines recently (first time since high school), and I feel anxious a lot. I've never even experienced much PMS before this, so this is all new territory for me. :-/. Oh, the joys.

Late 30s is when it started for me...maybe 37...I was completely finished with my periods by 44.

Is there a way to jump start your period? If I don't start tomorrow, heads are going to roll! sigh. Thank goodness most of my cycles do not start this way. I blame this on perimenopause.

PMS day 2 - I am vacillating between blah and limp noodle with brain fog thrown in at various times of the day. I hate it when I can't think straight.

I never thought I would would WANT to start, but this has been torture. Get on with it already!

This was me last month. And you might not want to know this, but it lasted for over three weeks.

I think menopause came and went quietly. Atleast I hope so. I've been exercising regularly, eating good, taking vitamins and except for a few night time sweats everything went well. Now I am a few years shy of 50 but I hope the worst is over kwim.