Menu

Teaching argument to six year old?

Uff Da!

Kudos to you for even considering teaching argument to your child. I've been trying to teach my 6yo NOT to argue ever since he was 3. Tell you what--if you can't find anything, I will be happy to send my 6yo Pal for an (extended) visit. By the time Pal is done, your daughter will be able to win a presidential debate if she so wills...

Thank you Gil.   :cheers2:   Last year, we did an edited version of Fallacy Detective (I don't suggest this book) and her arguments were better and less fervent so I think we need to keep exploring how to argue.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread :laugh:

And it does raise an interesting question...if your child learns to argue more efficiently, will they argue less?

Or will they simply beat us at our own game? :lol:

Well, being an attorney, all three of mine know how to reason and argue well, but there is nothing efficient about our discussions  If anything, they just seem to debate more and more, albeit effectively.   Some days, I'm convinced it's my twins' greatest goal in life to subdue me in this war of attrition .... :lol: :lol: 

I hear some of my better arguments reflected back at me by my (appropriately egocentric) young child. He is SO logical. It drives me batty! I'm watching this thread with interest, and would love an update, once you've followed up on one or more of the suggestions above. :)

Well what they are arguing makes perfect sense. The problem is that I really need them to do whatever it is now because we have ten things that have to be done and I am getting a headache. Problem is "you are right but we will do it my way anyway" just sounds bad.

There was a book called "the illustrated book of bad arguments" listed in another thread that looked fun. I can't link but you could google or run a search.