Menu

Has anyone used Layers of Learning?

Slache

I cannot tell if it is secular or not. Kind of like TOG? Sample printable pages?

From their FAQ

Is Layers of Learning a Christian curriculum?

No.  We, the authors, are Christian and our worldview, including our beliefs in individual worth, individual freedom, personal responsibility, and loving your neighbor do come through in the units.  But we do not intersperse Bible quotes or references or preach ever.  The exception is that in the Unit on Christianity (1-19) and a few other units, where historically relevant, we do reference and quote the Bible.  We do not teach either evolution or creationism.

Instead of teaching our version of Christianity, our approach is to ask questions that challenge you to think actively about your philosophy regarding religion, politics, morals, and the world in general.  We ask, you discuss with your kids what you believe, and together you develop your own answers to the important stuff.  Critical thinking is built in to the program.  Parents are given back the responsibility of training their childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s morals and worldview.

You can get a coupon for a free unit (sample) by signing up for their newsletter. There is a link on the homepage, right side. (Took me a while to find it!)

I'm sorry.  :lol:

lol... you better be!

I have spent WEEKS planning our history.  My kids are not book kids, they love hands on and visual means.  I have killed myself coming up with crafts and videos to fill our year of history.

We are going to give Layers of Learning a go instead...lol  It is perfect for us I think.  My kids can handle the short readings in the guide (I will read it to them) and then we will do some of the hands on goodness, and look for some videos.  

Did you see you can get it for free if you write reviews of the units as you do them?

• Like 1

lol... you better be!

I have spent WEEKS planning our history.  My kids are not book kids, they love hands on and visual means.  I have killed myself coming up with crafts and videos to fill our year of history.

We are going to give Layers of Learning a go instead...lol  It is perfect for us I think.  My kids can handle the short readings in the guide (I will read it to them) and then we will do some of the hands on goodness, and look for some videos.  

Did you see you can get it for free if you write reviews of the units as you do them?

Well cool. I'm not that sorry then. I'm glad there will be more reviews out before I use it. New stuff always looks so good.

We will start next week.  I just printed the first unit and am going to go through the activities and mark the ones we will do so we are ready and I'm sure to have the supplies on hand.  One would not have to print the units, but I have a very economical printer because I do better with paper in hand.

I'm really glad you posted this, it reminds me of MBtP but way less required reading and way fewer worksheets.  I'm not a big fan of written curriculum (though you wouldn't know that if you ever looked at my shelves and my bank statement) because none feel like they fit us.  We are secular, my kids are not into read alouds or reading a whole ton on their own, and I'm not good at following a laid out plan.  

Layers of Learning seem to be the perfect fit for us, it's what I was looking for when I spent a fortune on Intellego Unit Studies and then couldn't follow through with them because they felt so disjointed when we tried to do them.  There was no flow with them, there is great flow in this first unit!  Have you downloaded it yet?

I hope this curriculum gets finished and is of equal quality all the way through. It looks like a nice option for families with LD children, families who try and jump into a four year rotation very late with unprepared middle and high schoolers, large families, and just a host of situations.

All the basics are covered in a concise summary. So, there is no need for the exact resources suggested. You could just get some books, any books, and even totally skip supplementing a topic if you had to. A mom with a Robinson Curriculum mentality, but wanting a basic 4 year checklist would love this. Read the summaries with the kids. Do a few of the projects that look fun and/or important. Get some books and have the kids read for 2 hours a day. Do an hour of writing from the suggested writing topics or do any writing. Add a math program.

I like this free Robinson Student Planner, to use to convert a comprehensive unit study curriculum into a more laid back plan. I've been experimenting with  using this with Far Above Rubies, and I think it would work just as well with Layers of Learning.

http://beckijohnson.com/shop/robinson-curriculum-student-planner/

One of the struggles some moms have with curricula like this is that there is too much to do and they have trouble choosing. Robinson is 2 hours math, 1 hour writing, and 2 hours reading. After that you are officially done and everything else is gravy IF you want it. So if this curriculum is for 2 weeks, then mom shouldn't choose more than just a few hours of activities, above the reading and writing. At least for me, the choices feel easier to make, when I look at the Robinson Planner. ALL the projects get squeezed into that little grid called "Weekly Goals". There is no room to over-schedule.

And I like the Waldorf Yearly Planner with this. You would just do 2 units a month, and move onto the next 2 the next month and not sweat what didn't get done. Just MOVE on, and come back to the topic in 4 years.

• Like 4

Has anyone seen later volumes? Are they just as good as the first volume? I like that this is a complete k-12 eBook curriculum that actually includes some content rather than just a booklist.

The last 2 volumes either aren't out yet or just came out. My Rainbow Resources anchor catalog said they aren't out yet.

One of the struggles some moms have with curricula like this is that there is too much to do and they have trouble choosing. Robinson is 2 hours math, 1 hour writing, and 2 hours reading. After that you are officially done and everything else is gravy IF you want it. So if this curriculum is for 2 weeks, then mom shouldn't choose more than just a few hours of activities, above the reading and writing. At least for me, the choices feel easier to make, when I look at the Robinson Planner. ALL the projects get squeezed into that little grid called "Weekly Goals". There is no room to over-schedule.

Just my opinion, but I don't really care for the strict 4 year cycle. Why not take Layers of Learning, turn it into an 8 year cycle then do the World History, World Geography, American History, Government & Economics thing. Or whatever. You wouldn't be so worried about getting it done.

• Like 1

It looks promising. There are few key things that attract my attention.

I see the science attacked a bit at a secular forum, but the basic attitude towards science debate over origins appears to be the attitude I picked up from the Amish/Mennonites and the author of The Joy of Science/Science Matters. 

Literature is taught as an art! I go around saying that World Book encyclopedia classifies it as an art, and that I teach it as a an art, but I've never seen that in a curriculum. I'd really like to see the unit on Fairy Tales that is not released quite yet, or another literature unit.

I'm not married to the 4 year rotation, but because it's such a common standard, it makes it easier to hop and combine curricula. The 4 year rotation is a GOOD way to do things, and one that is gradually growing on me, for its convenience more than any possible academic superiority.

This curriculum was not designed to be completed, but to use for ideas. Instructors are going to have to pick and choose. A family that actually rotates through it 4 times will get most of it done over the years.

I like how the curriculum can be bought a unit at a time, even if that option is a bit more expensive. Purchase of the curriculum will run $10.00 a month which is doable for most families. I had no trouble viewing the pdfs on a tablet. The content is in blocks, so the pdf can be enlarged and panned. There is no need to print the curriculum, other than the students worksheets, which are just a few.

I really don't need a new curriculum right now, so I'm passing for now. What I have is working. I really need to spend more money on other things right now. But I'll have my eye on this because it looks very promising. Some authors really change their style as they continue to write units, and sometimes what I like at unit 1, I don't like as I get to the later units. I'll probably buy the 3rd year unit on fairy tales when it comes out "soon" to see how it looks. I'd really like to see a year 4 unit too, before considering investing in this curriculum. For now, Far Above Rubies is finished, and I'm really not "doing" a curriculum anyway, and just Robinsoning, at least through the summer. Starting in September, though, the ease of scheduling, using my favorite Waldorf planner is enticing.

• Like 3

Yes, the science did get slammed at the secular board, but most things do there if they aren't 100% detached from all religions.  Personally, I like their take on science. I am ok with introducing my kids to the topics and am also ok with teaching them my beliefs on where things came from.  I don't think every child needs to be raised as a research scientist.

We are beginning unit 1-1 tomorrow.  I love that it's open ended... do as much or as little as you like. You can follow along on our journey on my blog. 

For the record, I am printing out the units and binding them, I do better with paper in hand and like that I can scribble down notes on it.  I am not sure if we will cycle through this again, but I do plan on finishing the 4 years... unless we decide we just need to move on to something else.  I will be using this with a 9yo, an 8yo and a 5yo, who are not huge book fans, so I will try to link when we find videos to go with a unit.

• Like 3

I was thinking that the concise summaries of topics, would allow an instructor to use this curriculum as a catch up curriculum for a "behind" student. Skipping the activities and just focusing one hour on each of the 4 main topics in each unit would allow 2 years of the curriculum to be completed in an hour a day in less than 36 weeks. For example for unit 1: one hour first civilizations, one hour planets, one hour maps and globes, one hour cave art. Then start unit 2 on Friday.

The curriculum suggests Bill Nye videos. Don't forget that some libraries offer free streaming of 10 videos a week at Hoopla. If your local library doesn't offer the free subscription/access, check to see if you qualify for a free card at the library in your capital city if they offer Hoopla. And if it's not there now, keep checking on a regular basis, because this is becoming a increasingly commonly offered resource.

• Like 1

Yes, the science did get slammed at the secular board, but most things do there if they aren't 100% detached from all religions.  Personally, I like their take on science. I am ok with introducing my kids to the topics and am also ok with teaching them my beliefs on where things came from.  I don't think every child needs to be raised as a research scientist.

We are beginning unit 1-1 tomorrow.  I love that it's open ended... do as much or as little as you like. You can follow along on our journey on my blog. 

For the record, I am printing out the units and binding them, I do better with paper in hand and like that I can scribble down notes on it.  I am not sure if we will cycle through this again, but I do plan on finishing the 4 years... unless we decide we just need to move on to something else.  I will be using this with a 9yo, an 8yo and a 5yo, who are not huge book fans, so I will try to link when we find videos to go with a unit.

Nice review!

• Like 1

I really thought about doing each unit in a week instead of 2, but since my plan is not really to cycle through again I will probably go 2 weeks on each like they suggest, but yeah I could totally see these units done in a week if you only picked one activity for each section (or two/three short/fast activities).

I think it's funny that you are appreciating the concise readings so there is time for hands-on, and I am appreciating them so there is time to read MORE.

You would actually be getting a better bargain than me if using the projects; they look good.

I'm just appreciating what appears to be a very well thought out checklist with just the main facts listed and explained. I'm a big picture person, and I like the looks of the big picture.

But, I don't need this!

• Like 1

I really thought about doing each unit in a week instead of 2, but since my plan is not really to cycle through again I will probably go 2 weeks on each like they suggest, but yeah I could totally see these units done in a week if you only picked one activity for each section (or two/three short/fast activities).

I thought it would be sorta cool to use it as a supplement to Streams of Civilization, or something similar, to get the chronological in more detail, but still emphasize the empires you want to dig into.

• Like 1

lol... I was certain I was never going to even consider anything else for the content subjects since when I blow the money on them, the kids or I end up hating them.  I literally had worked for weeks to get our history planned for the year... lots of crafts, videos, songs and I scratched it all to try Layers of Learning.  The hands on activities do look awesome!

Michelle and Karen just sent me 1-2 and 1-3 so I can start planning.  I have tomorrow worked out for now, though it will be a short day for us (we go to the movies for kids summer movie every Monday), we will still try to make sure history gets done and I will introduce the kids to their new interactive notebooks we will be making.

• Like 1

I have a feeling, there will be units the kids don't have a lot of interest in, or life is busy and we will only spend a week on it.  On the other hand, I'm sure there will be units that the kids want to plonk their rears in and stay for 3 or 4 weeks.

I am trying to decide how I will work this if they want to move on in science but not history but like most things, we will probably fly by the seat of our pants.

• Like 1

lol... I was certain I was never going to even consider anything else for the content subjects since when I blow the money on them, the kids or I end up hating them.  I literally had worked for weeks to get our history planned for the year... lots of crafts, videos, songs and I scratched it all to try Layers of Learning.  The hands on activities do look awesome!

Michelle and Karen just sent me 1-2 and 1-3 so I can start planning.  I have tomorrow worked out for now, though it will be a short day for us (we go to the movies for kids summer movie every Monday), we will still try to make sure history gets done and I will introduce the kids to their new interactive notebooks we will be making.

I have done the same thing! I had 15 weeks planned using a variety of resources, ordered my literature books and was planning on using STOW as a spine along with History Portfolio for maps and notebooking we she learns. I like the looks of Layers of Learning and I am going to use my plan to supplement this but move this into the main history curriculum for us. I wont be using the science but we will use the Geography and the Arts. I think this is just what I have been looking for!

• Like 2

I do not stress over separating content subjects into even weekly bites. Content is content. So two weeks on just history or two weeks on just science is fine with me, as long as the YEAR and EDUCATION have some long term balance.

And any time a student camps out with a subject it starts overlapping with other content areas. If they are studying the planets intensively, then some history will be covered. If they are studying medieval history intensively, then science will get covered. Don't worry.

• Like 3

I used Student of the Word curriculum for awhile and each week was either science OR history OR geography, and it could be weeks before one was covered again. I was fine with that because there was total balance in the long run.

The arts in LoL are music OR visual arts OR literature. I'm fine with that. Does that bother you?

No, the variety in the arts doesn't bother me at all.

I just don't want to be working through 4 different guides at once.... it goes against the "this curricula streamlines almost everything for me" aspect of it.  If we end up that spread out, then by all means, we will just keep plugging along.

Now back to the arts... we will still be doing read alouds slowly (a chapter a day of a book), we will also be listening to the programs/doing the activities on www.classicsforkids.com and doing lessons from Home Art Studio.  We will be doing LA and math, the kids will continue to read books that they choose and I approve testing on www.bookadventure.org if it's available for that book.  

ETA, I think the variety, both in the arts and just in the options in the sections of the guide, will keep things fresh for us and help prevent burn out and boredom.

I would only work out of one guide at a time. Say for example, I just had no interest in the planets, the "history" includes a field trip to a farm and a blurb about archeology; I'd do those for more "science" if I was camped out on cave art, maps, and early civilizations. Or I just wouldn't do science, or I'd just pick a random science video or book, or I'd do some nature study.

But no matter what, I'd only do one guide at a time, unless I'd fallen behind and there was something extra special in a previous guide I'd been forced to skip.

I just realized that this curriculum is 80 files! Is anyone going to printout or buy 80 hardcopy units? Just how high would a stack of 80 units be?

I'm not sure I want to even own and attempt to store and manage 80 files. Yes, yes, I know that k-12 takes some bulk. I get that. I have so many Yesterday's Classics eBooks, that I have lost track of what I have, and haven't even kept up with downloading my free subscription titles.

Far Above Rubies (printed on just one side) is 3 inches high, and it is just lists and no content, pictures or explanations of activities. Double sided printed takes up half the space, but still. I'm guessing double sided LoL must be at least 12 inches high and at least 24 when printed on one side. Maybe that's that's not so bad. I don't know.

I was having trouble not hitting "buy", but I suddenly don't want to be in charge of 80 files. I sticking with FAR and Timeline of Classic for now. A 3 inch binder and a1/2 inch binder seems like more than enough for ME, for NOW.

Since I am using OneNote this year, I am just inserting the pdf files into that for my dd. I have a tab for History, Geography and the Arts and then they are organized by Unit. You can cut and paste the section that you want to use. I omitted science when I transferred the one's I have over to OneNote. If there are any maps or extras I can print those and have those ready or include in OneNote as well as extras and print when needed. I could not print all those files...well I could since I do it for TOG but I don't see the need in this case. I do like having  actual books to look at but we will be correlating the units with STOW and living history books as well as History Portfolios so she will have plenty of actual books to look at.

• Like 2

Unit 1 is almost 19 MB. 80 similar files would be 1520 MB. That is a bit more than 1.5 GB?

That isn't so bad in GENERAL, but with my current tech woes, completely overwhelming, unless I do something. I hate that more and more tablets don't come with card slots. And online storage of any quantity needs a subscription.

The units I have printed so far have been 51 pages each (the first one is longer 59). I print on duplex so it's like 26 sheets of paper, less than 1/4" thick.  I do plan on printing them all as we go along, but I have a VERY affordable Brother inkjet printer to print them with.  If I didn't, I probably wouldn't.  I'm not good with files on the computer, I lose them, forget about them, etc.  I also want to be able to write notes in them in case I do go through them again... I may with my youngest.  

• Like 1

The units I have printed so far have been 51 pages each (the first one is longer 59). I print on duplex so it's like 26 sheets of paper, less than 1/4" thick.  I do plan on printing them all as we go along, but I have a VERY affordable Brother inkjet printer to print them with.  If I didn't, I probably wouldn't.  I'm not good with files on the computer, I lose them, forget about them, etc.  I also want to be able to write notes in them in case I do go through them again... I may with my youngest.  

So about 20 inches of books for double sided, and about 40 for single sided. That's about 13 times FAR. :lol:

I think I might have figured out how to store the files at Google Drive, and be able to access them without overwhelming my full iPad Mini.

Day 1 was a pretty big hit!! We only covered the LoL history for school today, it was Summer Movie Monday at the theater so we went to see The Lorax (science ;) ) (and will be going every Monday for a few more weeks so school will be light until they are over, at least on Mondays).  I'm not going to go into details right now, but will when I do my review at the end of next week.

• Like 3

So about 20 inches of books for double sided, and about 40 for single sided. That's about 13 times FAR. :lol:

I think I might have figured out how to store the files at Google Drive, and be able to access them without overwhelming my full iPad Mini.

Space isn't a huge issue for me, I confiscated one of the kids' closet and filled it with shelves for school stuff (not books.. but school stuff and my teaching resources), there is still plenty of space in there.  I can also see myself getting rid of a lot of stuff if this keeps working for us (I tend to hoard things because I never know what will work for one kid that didn't work for another).

LoL looks odd to me, but...that's the initials. I thought of just writing LL, but that was too short for folder labels and such.

I bought year 1. After letting a friend feed me and give me TP. I really am hopeless and shameless. I have friends who think it's funny to enable me. But...I'm not sure it is funny. Really, I should spend MY money on food and TP.

I'm just confessing, because at the very least, I can partially make up for being so irresponsible by answering questions and giving reviews. Pretending I didn't buy it and then remaining quiet when people ask questions is just being even more shameful on top of the shameful.

So I have Year 1.

• Like 1

LoL looks odd to me, but...that's the initials. I thought of just writing LL, but that was too short for folder labels and such.

I bought year 1. After letting a friend feed me and give me TP. I really am hopeless and shameless. I have friends who think it's funny to enable me. But...I'm not sure it is funny. Really, I should spend MY money on food and TP.

I'm just confessing, because at the very least, I can partially make up for being so irresponsible by answering questions and giving reviews. Pretending I didn't buy it and then remaining quiet when people ask questions is just being even more shameful on top of the shameful.

So I have Year 1.

You could charge for answers and get your money back.

From Unit 1.3

Teaching Tip

Not every unit or subject you learn about has to involve lots of hands on projects. Essentials include books to read and a short writing assignment. Secondary are maps and time lines. Then if you have the energy and the desire, add in the activities to make it more memorable.

• Like 1

There is some overlap of topics. For example friendship bracelets are taught in 1.3 for crafts and also in a later unit for jewelry. Farming is mentioned as an extra layer in unit 1.1, but I'm thinking it is also in another unit somewhere else and I wish I knew which one for planning purposes.

I am definitely going to use this curriculum first as a quick survey, before attempting to use it as a more in depth 4 year curriculum, so I can get a better idea where everything is taught at it's fullest.