Menu

More Math Questions- 6th Grade

I posted here a while back, and you were all so helpful!  I have still not bought anything for my 6th grader's math next year.  This is our first year HSing, so she's coming out of 5th grade PS.  I got Saxon 7/6, and when we got it she said "I know almost everything in this book" so after testing and going thru we decided to start at lesson 95.  We've been doing that for a while, she's on lesson 105-ish.  I'm still not sure what I need to get!  She is gifted, but does not enjoy math.  She has done LOF Fractions and Decimals and Percents and likes that approach.  Here are options I am considering:

1.  I signed her up for Alcumus.  We have limited internet usage, but I could just have her play on here an hour or so per day to see if she likes the set up of AoPS.  So many of you recommended AoPS, but she does not like the sample.  I'm not sure if she would like the discover method.  Right now I have told her that she's going to do it about once a week to practice.  Should I just get the book and see if she likes it?

2.  Jousting Armadillos- this was also recommended, but again I'm not sure.  DD liked the looks of the preview better than AoPS, but I can't tell how much help is given, what resources there are for me as the teacher if she's stuck, ect.  I could not tell by what was on the site what all is needed.  How quickly do they go thru the books? 

3.  Zacarro books on Amazon- is there a particular order I should do them in?  Right now this is DD's top pick, but I have no idea if this is really good enough for a full math curriculum. 

4.  Saxon 8/7- so many of you did not like this option, but DD does.  She says it's easy and she gets it.  It takes her about 30 mintues to do a problem set in 7/6.  I've been spending about 10 minutes going ever each lesson w/ her in the morning to make sure she understands the lesson (some we just skim thru), then she does the problem set.  I like that I could get the DIVE CDs if needed. 

We are also doing LOF Pre-Al w/ Biology, but I don't think the Pre-Al Economics book will work for us.  I don't think I agree w/ the author's POV.  I've noticed a lot of negative reviews due to that.  Is there an alternative?  Would LOF PreAl, Alcumus and the Zaccarro books work for a full Pre-Algebra?  Which Zacarro book should I get?

I have several other kids who will also need my help, so I can't spend an hour working thru a math problem with her every day.  I am also not a math whiz.  I have taken up to college calculus, but I don't remember most of it.  I'm scared of the discovery method!  I'd rather teach a short lesson, or at least be able to find the directions on how to do the problem somewhere in the book.  This is also my first year, and it's a daunting task to bring 4 kids home from PS w/ a 3 year old.   I don't know how much time I will have to devote to each kid for each subject.

Thanks for any advice!

She's only in 6th, so math may just be "not her thing" for the time being.  Honestly, I thought math was easy but hated it until I reached calc III and fell in love with the artistry of the theory there.  I ended up with a second degree in math because of it.  :)

I don't think Saxon is the best, but it isn't the end of the world, either.  If she gets it, then it's fine to use.  Just be sure to cover every lesson.  If you want to introduce pure math (like AoPS), but she doesn't like AoPS, then you can assign something brief during or after 8/7, like Gelfand.  Gelfand has no solutions, but that isn't really the point when you use it -- it just presents the theory in a nice, readable format (and isn't hard like AoPS).  Gelfand's first book is Algebra, and it's a small book of only about 100 pages long or so.  A few paragraphs per day, and you'll get all the theory that Saxon misses.

Another option would be to mix in some formal geometry, particularly if 8/7 is very easy.  Saxon includes geometry, but it's all about the routine, and not at all about the beauty.  Any high school geometry course will be decent, but Kiselev (Planimetry first, Stereometry second) is my favorite.  Again, it's brief, and beautiful.  It can get deep, so don't try to rush it.  A slow, easy pace works best. (Edit: if you try Kiselev, your math schools will shoot up, as well as your daughter's -- go REAL slow, like 1 subsection at a time, and you'll be stunned by what you can do by the end!)

My last thought is a book on arithmetic theory.  AoPS has an excellent Intro to Number Theory, but DS7 has enjoyed an old textbook by Hashisaki and Peterson.  It does math in ancient systems, and in different bases.  It's a great way to learn depth without unnecessary difficulty.