Menu

difficulties with making choices

srs

Learning challenges gurus, what area of development does this fall under? My 7yo daughter with mild CP and related processing problems really struggles with choices. Like what to have for breakfast. Even if given two choices (do you want cereal or fruit?), she totally blanks out. I typically just make a choice for her because it is such a hassle otherwise, but I would like to figure out the underlying issue. Her OT suspects she has CAPD so I wonder if it is that, or something else entirely. My younger two have no problems with this.

First things that comes to mind for me are either a working memory issue where she can't hold the choices in her head long enough to make the choice, or a processing issue that doesn't allow her to weigh and consider the two choices.  In the case of a processing disorder, it could be auditory in nature, but I'd think you'd see her struggling with verbal instructions of any kind.  One way to pinpoint where the root cause of the neurological breakdown is occurring would be to have a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation for processing issues. It's just really difficult to say otherwise.

What I wonder, is if her difficulty with choices.  Are with choices that are more a case of what she feels like?

Rather than logical choices?

So that when you ask if she wants cereal or fruit?

That perhaps she looks for a logical reason to make a choice,  when their is no reason?

As it's just a case of what she feels like?

So I wonder if it is choices about what she feels like, that are the ones that draw a blank?