Menu

I cannot "get" Latin! What should we do?

happyWImom

Something is wrong with my brain, because whenever I look at the sample pages of Latina Christiana or LFC, I just can't wrap my brain around it!  How am I supposed to teach my children this, and what's the alternative???  We have used SSL, which is way too easy for their ages, but I had it & wanted to finish it.  That was no problem.  Fun & easy.  For next year, I've been going back & forth between LFC & LC, and pretty much decided on LC because LFC seemed way too busy and confusing.

I've been looking at more and more samples of LC and the more I look at how we will have to figure out the declensions, I'm baffled.  Well, not totally baffled, but it brings back horrible memories of 2nd year high school French.  The first year, I did great and loved it, then entered the grammar part and having to figure out masculine & feminine form, plural, singular, etc....  It wasn't good.  

Does any Latin curriculum slowly walk you through?  I though possibly GSWL might be good, but one review stated, if you're too old for Latinia Christian, but not ready for Henle, GSWL is good!  So, if I think LC is too much, how could we do GSWL?

Maybe I'm selling us all short and making too much for this, but I'm so tired of investing in curriculum that doesn't work, and jumping around.  

Do we forget about doing an actual Latin course and just do something like English from the Roots Up?  I hate to give up on it, because my whole plan was to do a year of Latin, then add in Spanish.  If I can't handle Latin, will I be able to handle any foreign language?

I would look at and use First Form Latin by Memoria Press instead which has video lessons available as well. I took 4 years of Latin and found First Form Latin to have the best explanations in the text for Latin that I have ever seen. FTR I also have Latin for Children and Latin Alive and still say First Form Latin is the best!

While not in vogue at the moment, I liked The Latin Road to English Grammar. I felt the teaching was very clear. Now, you do have to work ahead of your student (or at least at the same time). I'm not sure how you can teach your child if you don't understand so you'll have to put the time/effort in. You aren't in high school anymore, I bet you can get it now. :-)

Latin For Children, which we did a year of first, does have teaching videos, which are nice. But I found the Latin Road more understandable.

I had the same problem with Chinese. I couldn't make sense out of it at all. I hired a native Chinese speaking kid from the local college and still had problems. My daughter had zero desire to learn, which didn't help. We gave up on it, and will try again maybe next year.

Use the DVD's for Latina Christiana. I tried to teach it without the DVD's, only with the TM, and just about gave up. I bought the DVD's, we backed up to the lesson that she began teaching declensions, and everything went well from there on. My oldest is about to start Third Form, and things are still going wonderfully. Having an experienced Latin instructor there to teach the lesson is worth every penny. They don't just go through what is in the TM; they actually teach the lesson.

I would look at and use First Form Latin by Memoria Press instead which has video lessons available as well. I took 4 years of Latin and found First Form Latin to have the best explanations in the text for Latin that I have ever seen. FTR I also have Latin for Children and Latin Alive and still say First Form Latin is the best!

Did you use the video lessons with FFL?  Also, I had looked at this but was concerned that it would be our first formal Latin class, and most people had used PL &/or LC first.

Did you use the video lessons with FFL?  Also, I had looked at this but was concerned that it would be our first formal Latin class, and most people had used PL &/or LC first.

Ok, I'm totally the same way.  Latin, *for me*, is so hard to grasp.  If you're like me, DONT do FFL yet.  FFL goes really fast.  Do Latina Christiana this year, then First Form next year.  LC is a good introduction.  I did LC last year with my kids, and we just started FFL.  I didn't have the DVD with LC, but I did my best with the TM.  There were some things I just didn't quite understand, but we kept moving along.  Just memorize what they tell you to memorize: the vocabulary, the declensions and conjugations.  Don't worry about what it all means yet.  Just memorize them.  That's the goal for LC.  When you get to FFL, get the DVD teacher.  It will all begin to come together and make sense.  FFL will review everything in LC so it won't be so overwhelming.  The DVD in FFL really helps you see the big picture of what you're learning and why and how it is applicable.  I also really like the Latin charts/posters MP sells because of the big picture it gives.

You can do it!!

We started Latin last year using LC.  I purchased the whole curriculum that had the DVD lessons included.  They were a life saver!  I just popped in each lesson and DD and I watched them together.  The rest of the days were a review of that lesson through reciting the songs, prayers, declensions or conjugations, and going through the vocabulary cards each day.  I also included one to two Ludere Latinae I puzzles each week, as well as the extra LC review sheet each week.

So, this is how we scheduled things:

• Monday- Watch the DVD lesson and nothing else
  • Tuesday-go through our recitations of song, prayer, declensions and/or conjugation & vocabulary cards and do LC Workbook page
  • Wednesday-go through all recitations; do LC Review Worksheet page
  • Thursday-go through all recitations; do 2 Ludere Latinae I puzzle pages for that lesson
  • Friday-quiz 

One thing the teachers of LC stress is to go slowly.  If DD didn't quite get a declension, conjugation or the vocabulary, we repeated the lesson the next week.

I specifically chose LC for DD as an introduction to Latin.  As a 5th grader, she could have gone right into FFL, but I wanted to take a gentle approach.  I'm so glad I did because she enjoyed Latin - even though the videos are pretty hokey.  Because we did go slowly, repeated several lessons and introduced Visual Latin as a supplement as well, we didn't finish LC last year.  However, I did purchase FFL and feel DD has a good enough base to start FFL in the fall.  The first part of FFL is a review of LC, and since we could have started with FFL in the first place, I don't feel like it will be a big deal to dive into it in the fall.

We started Latin last year using LC.  I purchased the whole curriculum that had the DVD lessons included.  They were a life saver!  I just popped in each lesson and DD and I watched them together.  The rest of the days were a review of that lesson through reciting the songs, prayers, declensions or conjugations, and going through the vocabulary cards each day.  I also included one to two Ludere Latinae I puzzles each week, as well as the extra LC review sheet each week.

So, this is how we scheduled things:

• Monday- Watch the DVD lesson and nothing else
  • Tuesday-go through our recitations of song, prayer, declensions and/or conjugation & vocabulary cards and do LC Workbook page
  • Wednesday-go through all recitations; do LC Review Worksheet page
  • Thursday-go through all recitations; do 2 Ludere Latinae I puzzle pages for that lesson
  • Friday-quiz 

One thing the teachers of LC stress is to go slowly.  If DD didn't quite get a declension, conjugation or the vocabulary, we repeated the lesson the next week.

I specifically chose LC for DD as an introduction to Latin.  As a 5th grader, she could have gone right into FFL, but I wanted to take a gentle approach.  I'm so glad I did because she enjoyed Latin - even though the videos are pretty hokey.  Because we did go slowly, repeated several lessons and introduced Visual Latin as a supplement as well, we didn't finish LC last year.  However, I did purchase FFL and feel DD has a good enough base to start FFL in the fall.  The first part of FFL is a review of LC, and since we could have started with FFL in the first place, I don't feel like it will be a big deal to dive into it in the fall.

Thanks for showing your schedule-that's a big help.  It helps me to picture things in a more positive way, that's for sure!

I don't mind us starting out slower, because I want to avoid the frustration factor.

The first time I tried Latina Christiana I didn't get it--I think we did one or two lessons. I put it away and got it out a year later. I spent some time reading through the materials--both the teacher guide and the student book this time--and I thought I just wasn't going to get it, but all of a sudden it clicked. A big part of the problem was that the teacher book has some information on pronunciation that the student book doesn't have, and the student book has some information that the teacher book doesn't have. I didn't have the DVDs at that time, but I did have the CD. We were able to use LC successfully until my bad habit of putting things off took over and we took several months off from LC. But we did get 4 weeks done :) and we'll be returning to it soon. So, that's my advice--don't go just by samples or the teacher's book--read the introductory pages of the student book also.

I think it would be hard to understand Latin by just looking at the samples. Don't let that deter you. You mentioned you didn't like busy and confusing - LC is very organized and straightforward in presentation. Get the DVDs and follow along with your child. It will make much more sense when you are using the program. LC is definitely the more gentle introduction - First Form moves much more quickly.

Yes we have used the video lessons which are nicely done. You can see samples of them online. You can get by though with the CD for pronunciation and the text since the text is excellent at explaining Latin in an easy to understand manner. If your child is about 5th grade give or take a year and has exposure to some grammar I think First Form would be fine first. My kid was exposed to some PL in a private school but honestly I have seen PL and LC and I would go with FFL if your child fits the parameters I listed above. Memoria Press should have more info on FFL as well to help guide you too. 

Quit! That is my solution. If something causes me stress to look at just the samples, it is NOT a fit for us. Even with DVD teaching Latin still isn't IT for me.

I didn't get Latin from looking at samples of those programs either. I went with GSWL, and I'm so glad I did! He explains things very clearly and teaches ONE new thing each lesson, with all the exercises reviewing previously learned items. Now I get Latin. My son is using Lively Latin now, but I really needed that gentle beginning in GSWL to "get it". We used the Kindle edition, so it was only $10.

I didn't get Latin from looking at samples of those programs either. I went with GSWL, and I'm so glad I did! He explains things very clearly and teaches ONE new thing each lesson, with all the exercises reviewing previously learned items. Now I get Latin. My son is using Lively Latin now, but I really needed that gentle beginning in GSWL to "get it". We used the Kindle edition, so it was only $10.

A lot of people said this option was the best introduction because of the one concept at a time approach, which I like.  But, I really like having the dvd support that the others offer, that's why I'm undecided now.  I'm probably between LC w/dvd option and GSWL.   I know GSWL offers the mp3 recordings; did you use those and did you feel they were enough?

I haven't used GSWL, but for me, I have problems figuring out certain sounds made by certain letters by listening to an audio recording. I had this problem in college when taking a beginning Spanish class--I checked out some learn-to-speak-Spanish tapes to help me outside of class, and although I could see the words in print in front of me, I couldn't tell how they were pronouncing certain letters. I have the same issue with Latin, except I was able to figure it out from the info in both the TM & student book. I would likely have the same problem with GSWL mp3s, unless the book explicitly says how to say certain sounds. When this is lacking, I can figure it out by a combination of seeing the word in print, hearing it, and seeing someone say the word. I now have the MP LC1 DVDs both as an enjoyable supplement--something that keeps us coming back--and as a help in pronunciation if needed.

I looked at more samples of GSWL on Amazon, and it does seem like I could totally handle it.   :hurray: So, do you feel it prepared you both enough for LL?

We didn't need to use them. The lessons are self-explanatory. We listened to a few but the kids found them needlessly long.

What are you using now, or what did you use right after GSWL?  Did you add anything else to the GSWL lessons?  The reason I ask, all of the other curricula seem to have lots of "extras", flashcards, reading books, activity books, etc..  While it's nice to reinforce the lessons, I'm wondering if anything else is necessary?

I looked at more samples of GSWL on Amazon, and it does seem like I could totally handle it. :hurray: So, do you feel it prepared you both enough for LL?

Absolutely! My son is doing LL on his own now, but I still understand it because of having gone through GSWL.

I didn't use the audio files much in GSWL. His explanations were enough. I didn't need videos or anything.

LL has videos, though my son doesn't use them. He does use the audios for vocabulary, and he plays the online games.

We didn't add anything to GSWL, and it prepared us extremely well to move into Latin Book One, which is a high school text.

We started off supplementing GSWL with Salvete, but I didn't feel it added anything, so we dropped Salvete.

A lot of people said this option was the best introduction because of the one concept at a time approach, which I like.  But, I really like having the dvd support that the others offer, that's why I'm undecided now.  I'm probably between LC w/dvd option and GSWL.   I know GSWL offers the mp3 recordings; did you use those and did you feel they were enough?

We just listen to the first part of the recording that gives the pronunciation and explains the new concept. Then I turn the recording off. I dictate the exercise for my kids, but also holding the book so that they could look at the exercise if need be. They give the translation orally and once I have confirmed that they are correct, they write it in their notebook. It only takes a few minutes each day. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much to all of you who recommended GSWL! I purchased it for my Kindle (on a whim, if truth be told) after reading this thread on Friday. My girls (grades 5 and 3) and I did the first five lessons. Everyone learned and enjoyed it! :). This is the third Latin "piece" I've purchased, and I think this one is basic enough (and no frills enough) for even me to get. :)

DS finished SSL 2 and did the first 4 lessons of LFC A but it was too big of a jump for him. Too much info in each chapter. Yesterday I was at our charter's lending library and I found copies of Latin's Not So Tough 3, 4, & 5. LNST 3 looks perfect for my DS!

I'm not sure what would come after LNST 6 but I'm a long way off from having to worry about that.

DS finished SSL 2 and did the first 4 lessons of LFC A but it was too big of a jump for him. Too much info in each chapter. Yesterday I was at our charter's lending library and I found copies of Latin's Not So Tough 3, 4, & 5. LNST 3 looks perfect for my DS!

I'm not sure what would come after LNST 6 but I'm a long way off from having to worry about that.

We really like LNST too! DD went into Level 3 after GSWL; the grammar wasn't new, but some of the vocab was. One thing to note: the approach switches between 3 and 4. It's whole to parts in 3 and then parts to whole from 4 onward.