Menu

Sssshh!!!! Nobody Move!

No distractions!  10 yo DD is in her room reading voluntarily.  Her prism lenses came today (less than a week from ordering!!) and she's in her room reading a Bad Kitty book.  OK, so it's not great literature...  but she's reading.  For fun.  Just because.   :thumbup1:

And she looks so cute in her glasses.  They're bold, black, retro-looking "nerd" glasses (her choice!).  She is delighted with them :)

It's going to be interesting to see what reading issues she has (if any) now that her vision is corrected when she wears her glasses.  I wonder how this will affect her math and writing and... well, everything.  

... and then I got all dumb and started researching using prism lenses for convergence insufficiency... and see research that says it's no better than placebo (I think I misunderstood the research, I admit I skimmed, but "prism" and "placebo" jumped out at me and I panicked.).  

However, during her eye appt. the doctor had DD read off a card that had rows of numbers that looked something like this:

6 _________________ 2 _________________13  

I think there were 5 or 6 rows.  Each row had different numbers.  I'm not sure what the time was without lenses (Dr. said it was "twice as long as other kids her age with typical vision").  But *with* the lenses she shaved 6 sec. off the time (boom! Go DD!).  So.  That means that for DD this isn't just placebo effect... right?  DD was grinning like a fool afterward.  She knew she did awesome  :)

I drive MYSELF crazy with all this stuff.  I'm just afraid that DD still has vision issues, but just doesn't want to tell me.  

Oh, and I am a Crazy Person with regard to her protecting her glasses.  She took them to karate yesterday (!!!) to show her friend, and I about lost it.  ("You can show them to A, and then you hand them BACK TO ME and you do NO karate while wearing them, and.... and.... " blah, blah, blah.)  My poor DD.  It's just been SO stressful for so many years.  I don't think I realized how stressed I was about this until I was faced with the situation of the "solution" (glasses) being damaged.  

I need to keep reminding myself that while I've been stressed, she's been MORE stressed.  So... more deep breathing... more empathy ... and I'm going to buy a back up pair of glasses and hide them from her so I can freaking CHILL OUT.

Thank you for listening. :)

LOL...I totally understand about being way protective of the ONE THING that fixes a lot of problems.

Let the glasses do their thing for a while. If she needs therapy, she at least knows that there are things that *can* help.

In the meantime, look for OhE's (?) thread where she recommends specific books to me to work on CI and other VT issues at home. I know $$$$ is an issue (like it is here); I found the books helpful. If you can't find it easily, pm me and I'll go dig through that part of my library. (I'm packing and moving stuff around right now, but I think I know where at least one book is.)