Menu

Well-Trained Mind Academy: questions?

Susan Wise Bauer

Any plans to offer adult classes, for those of us whose own education may have been a bit lacking?

I've just listened (again) to SWB's Educating Ourselves as we Educate Our Children, and I have been toying with the idea of working through WWS myself to better prepare myself for when my kids get to that level. Some experienced guidance, discussion, and feedback along the way would be well worth the time and money. I'm not sure enrolling at my local community college would quite fit the bill.

• Like 4

How does one add the lab part to an existing chemistry class? I signed my kids up before the optional chemistry lab part existed and it doesn't appear to have a way to just add the lab now.

For those who have already registered for our science courses, you can request to add the lab option by sending an email to us (see our Contact Us Page) with your order number and the type of lab option (parent or instructor graded).  I'm so glad this will be helpful to your family!

Any plans to offer adult classes, for those of us whose own education may have been a bit lacking?

I've just listened (again) to SWB's Educating Ourselves as we Educate Our Children, and I have been toying with the idea of working through WWS myself to better prepare myself for when my kids get to that level. Some experienced guidance, discussion, and feedback along the way would be well worth the time and money. I'm not sure enrolling at my local community college would quite fit the bill.

This is absolutely in our future plans...stay tuned!

Getting the basic courses up and running has been a huge project for us, so our "lifelong learners" classes are still a little distance off, but it is certainly part of our long-term vision for the academy.

We will keep you all posted.

SWB

For those who have already registered for our science courses, you can request to add the lab option by sending an email to info@wtmacademy.com with your order number and the type of lab option (parent or instructor graded). I'm so glad this will be helpful to your family!

Email protected?

I have a question regarding the live class vs the delayed recorded class. If my child is signed up for the live class, will he also have access to the recorded(delayed) class? I am thinking this would be very helpful in case of sickness or if there is another reason that he may need to miss class.

Also, if he must be absent for a class time, would this affect his grade? How would this be handled?

I like the idea of a live class for interaction, but now that you are offering a delayed option, I wonder if I should switch. Please let me know if he will have access to the delayed class as well if enrolled in the live class. Thank you.

Email protected?

Since our server is doing an excellent job to prevent spam, here's an alternative way to contact us with questions regarding the science labs: our email and 800 number are available at the top-left corner of our website: wtmacademy.com.

I have a question regarding the live class vs the delayed recorded class. If my child is signed up for the live class, will he also have access to the recorded(delayed) class? I am thinking this would be very helpful in case of sickness or if there is another reason that he may need to miss class.

Also, if he must be absent for a class time, would this affect his grade? How would this be handled?

I like the idea of a live class for interaction, but now that you are offering a delayed option, I wonder if I should switch. Please let me know if he will have access to the delayed class as well if enrolled in the live class. Thank you.

All classes offer the opportunity for students with an excused absence to view a recorded lecture.  In fact, students can even watch the recorded lecture if they need to review the material again.  The Delayed Lecture Program is designed for students who will have on-going schedule conflicts which will prevent consistent participation in the classroom.  More details are available on our website.

I really want to thank the WTM team for offering these courses!  How I wish I'd had the chance to participate in hs math and science like this when I was struggling through as a home-schooled student.  Our oldest is a 3rd-grader, but I sure hope the courses or their equivalent are still available when he is in high school! 

If you are curious about which excellent books our Academy students will be using, check out our Course Descriptions for newly-posted lists of all the textbooks.

Registered students can also check out the updated Course Descriptions for a final list of textbooks and workbooks to order for each class.

We are also rolling out the syllabi for each of the courses, so check back throughout the week to get a more detailed look at your classes!

I don't see information about the chemistry workbook.

(And it would be a really good idea to send email to the registered people to tell them this information. Not all of them check these boards.)

We have 3-4 classes that still have a "coming soon" notice for the workbooks (including Chemistry) to let parents know the information will be updated shortly.  We expect all remaining syllabi and workbook details to be finalized by the end of this week.

We're also putting together an email for all of our registered students which should go out within the next 48 hours.  Thanks!

This is absolutely in our future plans...stay tuned!

Getting the basic courses up and running has been a huge project for us, so our "lifelong learners" classes are still a little distance off, but it is certainly part of our long-term vision for the academy.

We will keep you all posted.

SWB

This is excellent news, Susan!

• Like 1

I just looked at the syllabus for chemistry that as put up recently. And I am stunned. What is with the papers that are assigned worth 20% of the grade??!!!!??? That was not in the course description. The course description said weekly quizzes and tests. It did NOT say writing papers.

I am going to need to think about this one. I feel like my kid has just been hit with a bad case of bait and switch.

Twinmom,

I think that our instructors are flexible enough to work out something with you. Steve Otto can definitely put you in touch with the appropriate instructor.

JenneinAz,

I answered you in the other thread--the chemistry class is designed to follow the guidelines in TWTM, which encourages students to think about the historical development of the sciences in addition to mastering the basic course content. I'm sure the instructor will be happy to assist your student with any additional coaching. I actually have revisited the weighting of that class with the instructor, since 10% is a more appropriate percentage for the written element. 

SWB

Guest Heidi_P

For a student in her last year of high school, who has not had classical teaching, how would I know which writing class would benefit her more- the Intro to Rhetoric, or the Rhetoric class? And also- which she would fit best into, difficulty wise? My daughter writes well, when she writes. She seems to have great difficulty getting things down on paper when it comes to creative writing. Response type papers are not a problem.  

Thanks!

Heidi,

If she can do expository (nonfiction) writing without a struggle, Rhetoric would definitely be the best choice. She doesn't need to write creatively in order to complete that class, and a year of Rhetoric will definitely help prepare her for college-level work. (Also, as noted on the website, students in writing classes can switch at the beginning of the semester without penalty if the class is too easy/hard.)

SWB

Has anyone received their email with login credentials and orientation information?

I got an email earlier this week that said that information would be emailed by Thursday. Since it is almost 5:00 on the west coast it must be after working hours on the east coast....

Guest Heidi_P

Thank you for your response, SWB. 

I also have another child that I am thinking about taking one of these two classes. If they tend to have trouble choosing the key points in readings, then the Intro class is the better choice for this age. Is that correct? Even if they are in their last year? I realize these questions are difficult to answer. This is a child who has been diagnosed with  "mixed expressive and receptive" learning disorder. She has come a very long way in the last two years of her schooling, but she is still at the point where sometimes she gets it and sometimes she doesn't. Generally though, she seems to pick up on everything better than she ever has, once it is explained and she has examples to follow. Do I put her into the Intro class and give her a thorough once through, or 'go for it' and put her in the Rhetoric class? I'm just not sure how fundamental the Introductory class is. 

Thank you in advance,

Heidi

Heidi,

The Intro class is essentially a one-year walk through the most essential skills in Writing With Skill 1-3--note taking and documentation, brainstorming, and all of the forms taught in WWS (narratives, descriptions, explanations, cause & effect, etc.). Does the child need those skills? If so, the Intro might be the best choice; if not, try Rhetoric. There is definitely more hand-holding and direct instruction about what to write in the Intro class, more focus on choosing your own material in Rhetoric.

SWB

Has anyone received their email with login credentials and orientation information?

I got an email earlier this week that said that information would be emailed by Thursday. Since it is almost 5:00 on the west coast it must be after working hours on the east coast....

Students are now enrolled, and announcements with instructions are going out this morning - thanks for you patience!

Could someone answer my question about placing my son? He is 9th grade, late/struggling reader, did about half of WWS1 in 7th, then did IEW at co-op, then stopped and did a year of Write at Home High School level 1 in 8th grade. He did fairly well (all 4's and 5's on scoring) but I know he struggles with brainstorming and organizing his thoughts. Often when I help him, it's like he has trouble formulating his sentences into a cohesive paragraph. To be honest, we've so long worked on reading skills that writing has not been a priority. But this year I really want it to be! He's a science- minded, physical activities kid- not humanities. I don't want to overwhelm him, but I do want to challenge him

I have him signed up for Expository 2, but was just looking at Intro to Rhetoric and now I'm not sure whether we are in the right class. There is no prereq for Intro to Rhetoric, but there is for Expository 2. So I'm just unsure.  I really want to outsource this for him, but I don't want to end up having to help him to such a large degree that I could have just taught the class myself! KWIM? Could someone help?

Thanks,

Tiffany

It's official!  Students are enrolled in their classes and now have an email with access and a Quick Start Guide for their virtual classrooms for the Academy.  

We also have new sections available in the mornings for the following classes:

Expository 1: 
Sections 1-5 are almost full, and we offer the following in order to provide morning access for this class.

• Sect6: M/W 9am
  • Sect7: M/W 10am
  • Sect8: T/Th 11am

Rhetoric 1:

• Sect3: T/Th 9am
  • Sect4: T/Th 1pm

Algebra 1:

• Sect 3: M/W 9am
  • Sect 4: T/Th 9am

Could someone answer my question about placing my son? He is 9th grade, late/struggling reader, did about half of WWS1 in 7th, then did IEW at co-op, then stopped and did a year of Write at Home High School level 1 in 8th grade. He did fairly well (all 4's and 5's on scoring) but I know he struggles with brainstorming and organizing his thoughts. Often when I help him, it's like he has trouble formulating his sentences into a cohesive paragraph. To be honest, we've so long worked on reading skills that writing has not been a priority. But this year I really want it to be! He's a science- minded, physical activities kid- not humanities. I don't want to overwhelm him, but I do want to challenge him

I have him signed up for Expository 2, but was just looking at Intro to Rhetoric and now I'm not sure whether we are in the right class. There is no prereq for Intro to Rhetoric, but there is for Expository 2. So I'm just unsure.  I really want to outsource this for him, but I don't want to end up having to help him to such a large degree that I could have just taught the class myself! KWIM? Could someone help?

Thanks,

Tiffany

Tiffany, thank you for your question about the correct placement for your son, I'll be glad to help.  Since he is in 9th grade, I recommend that we move him to the Intro to Rhetoric class.  This will give him the basics that he didn't get to cover from WWS levels 1-3, and will be with other classmates who also either need to review the material themselves, or who haven't used it before.  

If he struggles with the material more than expected, we offer writing tutoring.  This might give him an extra edge for the extra focus needed until he gets into the rhythm of writing again (again, only if needed). 

To confirm you want us to make the change, just send our registrar an email (the same email you have corresponded with for previous questions).  Thanks, and we look forward to a great school year!

Thanks for answering my question! Is there any chance of adding an Intro to Rhetoric earlier in the day on the Monday/Wednesday schedule? Unfortunately we are unable to do any of the sections listed due to other activities. 

I feel like the delayed schedule might not be as helpful to my son. I think he'd benefit from being able to ask questions during the class time and hear the interactions of the other student's thoughts. (I'm assuming that will happen in this style of class?)

Tiffany

Thanks for answering my question! Is there any chance of adding an Intro to Rhetoric earlier in the day on the Monday/Wednesday schedule? Unfortunately we are unable to do any of the sections listed due to other activities. 

I feel like the delayed schedule might not be as helpful to my son. I think he'd benefit from being able to ask questions during the class time and hear the interactions of the other student's thoughts. (I'm assuming that will happen in this style of class?)

Tiffany

I understand.  Unfortunately we won't be able to offer morning sections for this course.  I will check with one of the instructors for other placement options and will reply by email with some recommendations for your specific situation, including any discount questions.  Steve O.

My daughter would like to take a class that starts tomorrow. Is it too late?

Thank you for asking - it's not too late!  In fact, we're extending registration through at least Sunday, September 7th.  We have an excellent system for recording our class lectures, so families who are late registering will find a much smoother transition into our Academy by catching up on missed classes immediately after registration.

We also extend an invitation to families who have enrolled in other school systems and are disappointed by their experience.  For these families, we will offer even more flexibility for registration.  You can contact us directly through the WTM Academy website with any registration or transition questions. Please let others know about this great opportunity!

Thanks!  I signed her up -- got the confirmation emails, now waiting for the instructions on how to log in for the class.  Hope to see it tonight or pretty early tomorrow.  Thanks!

Congratulations!  We just enrolled several students into their classes in time to get set up before classes begin (including your daughter).  

Just reply to the enrollment announcement email if you have any questions. Enjoy your first day of class! :)

Steve O.

• 3 months later...

Maria, we'll be opening registration in the spring just as soon as classes are finalized. Did you know that we're also offering mid-year "drop in" registration as well as several second-semester electives? Just FYI: http://www.wtmacademy.com/courses/

If anyone is considering signing up for the second-semester, I highly recommend the Rhetoric I class with Thomas Hummel.  My son says it is the best class he has ever taken.

Susan, will Thomas Hummel be teaching your Rhetoric II class next year?

If anyone is considering signing up for the second-semester, I highly recommend the Rhetoric I class with Thomas Hummel.  My son says it is the best class he has ever taken.

My daughter is LOVING the Introduction to Rhetoric course with Kathleen Brian .... it's challenging her in a way that I wasn't able to and her writing has improved so much.  I used to have to push and push and now she's doing her assignments on her own and often talks about what she's learning. 

• Like 2

Susan, will Thomas Hummel be teaching your Rhetoric II class next year?

My son is enjoying it too and I hope he'll be teaching Rhetoric II next year.

• Like 1

Will there be a second semester Spanish class? I've checked the link you posted and didn't see one, so probably not. Is there by any chance one in the works?

Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the classes. We are so glad to hear that the Academy has been such a help for your families!

Regarding Spanish, we won't be offering foreign languages this year, but by late spring we'll start announcing our classes for the Fall 2015 year.  

We want to make sure everyone knows that Spring Semester Registration just opened for students who want to transfer into either current classes or into our new, single-semester electives (classes begin January 19th).

All of our full-year courses are available for students who want to join the class at the mid-year point (for half the price of full-year courses!).  This is a great time to try the Academy to see how we can be a great resource for your family or to add on courses that you've been thinking about trying. 

Teaching Saxon Math and need a hand? Check our our Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, and Geometry courses, which have small class sizes to ensure personalized instruction. History and Literature have also had a lot of response for spring enrollments, in addition to our ever popular Writing courses (both middle school and high school levels).

Here's a look at our new electives:

Electives (.5 credits, 1 semester in length):

We are so excited to already have 200 families participating in the Academy, and we look forward to a great spring semester!

Steve O.

Sooo, not to be picky or anything, but if new students transfer in to a full year course that's already in progress, what about the students already in the course?  Will there be "catch up" teaching time that won't benefit the students already enrolled who are halfway done the course?  How will the new students catch up to where the current students already are?  I guess I'd hate to see the already-enrolled students lose out a little bit for the sake of the new students ..... would rather see a separate "catch up" course/teaching session for the new students, I guess.  Thoughts? 

Milovany, the currently enrolled students will certainly not lose out; the classes will proceed at normal speed. Students who join at midyear will have full access to the previous semester's recorded lectures, plus will be encouraged to use instructor office hours to ask for any help needed in catching up. Each instructor will provide guidance as needed to bring new students up to speed, but the classes themselves will not change.

We decided to offer this option because circumstances do change from semester to semester, and many families who were pursuing courses independently in the fall find that they need some additional assistance in the spring.

SWB

Sooo, not to be picky or anything, but if new students transfer in to a full year course that's already in progress, what about the students already in the course?  Will there be "catch up" teaching time that won't benefit the students already enrolled who are halfway done the course?  How will the new students catch up to where the current students already are?  I guess I'd hate to see the already-enrolled students lose out a little bit for the sake of the new students ..... would rather see a separate "catch up" course/teaching session for the new students, I guess.  Thoughts? 

That is a fair question for our existing students, and would be an issue for any school accepting mid-year transfers.

However, we are able to offer something most schools cannot.  New students still have five weeks to review recorded lectures and key topics from the first semester, which is a powerful tool to ease their transition as they join their new classmates. Instructors are also finalizing a 5-week "catch up plan" to help students know which of the previous 11 weeks are critical to their success in the second semester. These will be published on our website next week.

Also, most schools have 20+ students in each class, and currently, ours are less than half that size.  This provides more flexibility for the instructors to adapt class time for both current and incoming students as they need assistance with particular topics.

Finally, office hours are always available. In fact, for newly registered students, they will have access to make appointments for their instructor's office hours before the semester begins.

Thank you for your question.

Steve O.

• 3 months later...

I'm considering prealgebra next year, but I cannot find the cost for any of the courses. Also, I click on the delayed option and it sends me back to courses. So are all of the courses offered with delay if you heed it's? Oh, she might also take the one semester music theory class.

Thank you for your question, you can find the answers to your questions here:

Tuition Prices: Full-year courses range from $499 to $549, and 1-semester electives from $249-$299 (depending on class size and number of meetings per week).

www.wtmacademy.com/tuition/

Delayed Lecture Program: 

www.wtmacademy.com/delayed-lecture/

Yes, that delayed lecture is the link that I have looked at, so are all classes available in delayed learning format??  I couldn't tell how to say that is what I wanted to do on the registration form.  I think I want her to take those two classes in delayed format she already has a class from 10-4 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8-12.

Good news - we offer Delayed Lecture format for all of our courses!

The delayed option will be listed as one of the section choices (e.g. Section 1, Section 2, Delayed) after General Registration begins on April 1st.

Evolution: The focus of our Introduction to Biology course is the current state of biology, not origins. However, the basics of evolutionary theory will be discussed, since this is central to the development of modern biology.

Am I correct in presuming neither creation nor intelligent design will be presented/studied as part of the class?