Menu

Learning to type...which program is best?

icngirl119

I'm looking to get a program to help my 3rd grader learn to type correctly on a keyboard.  I see that HWT has a program, but I don't know how extensive it is.  

I used Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing when I was a teenager and it seemed to be a great program and I think it's still around now.  I'm not aware of any others.  

Any suggestions for what seemed to be efficient AND fun for your child?  Thanks!

My kids really enjoyed Typing Instructor. :) I didn't do a ton of shopping around; I wanted something non-internet-linked & something they would think was fun. Typing Instructor fit the bill and did the job.

Why was it important that it was non-internet-linked?

• 2 weeks later...

They've also enjoyed Typing Island (I think)…pirate related.  LOL…can't find it right now to check the name. 

Are you thinking of Typing Instructor for Kids?  It is animated with an island (called Typer Island), and a parrot (Lafitte), and a ship, and a kid (Toby) who tells you what to do.  It has games after each level.  

We've used Typing Instructor for Kids, and also regular Typing Instructor.  The rep from the company recommended the regular edition for kids 8 and older because some feel the kids' version is too juvenile.  I found that to be true with my son, but my daughter (age 9) still enjoys it.  They use the same teaching method in both.  The "For Kids" version just has more entertaining, slightly-animated elements to motivate little kids.