Menu

Kindle cover? Books for immersion reading?

Cover is purple so it is easy to spot.  It is the one that can be used as a book stand.  Very sturdy.  Had handled a lot of drops beautifully.  And DS finds it very easy to use now that he has had a bit of practice.

Books are really mainly based on DS's interests at the moment.  Primarily the Percy Jackson books and other books that have historical references.  And by the way, the Percy Jackson books have paired incredibly well with the Veritas Press Self-Paced History course DS is taking.  They reinforce each other, along with the VP recommended readings.

Only the Whisper-Sync books can be used with Immersion Reading, and while Audible is adding titles to that catalog all the time, that limitation is a major factor in what I pick. Then I just kind of go down the list, see what I think ds would like and pitch a few titles to him. For his assigned reading, I pick them all and make sure he can do the reading with text but I also use a combo of VoiceDream/Bookshare, Learning Ally & Immersion Reading to get all the titles I want. Hopefully as the technology evolves I won't have to combine so many sources and more will be available on Audible.

Beginning readers at his age. My younger reads things like My Father's Dragon, Nate the Great, Magic Treehouse, etc. and your ds is younger still. You want it to be instructional reading level but not too high. For chapter books for now I would just do audio without the words. That is what my younger ds does.

I'm asking about the covers, because the cover/case for my iPad is a Maroo and has these resilient corners that absorb shock if it falls.  My iPad has been dropped numerous times without incident.  It seems like almost ALL the kindle covers I looked at have a simple leather face and leather (or pleather) corners.  So if it were to drop while open, it would land face down and crack, seems to me.  I just don't know how well those covers do with drops, kwim?  There's so little variety in the kindle covers I'm finding.  Is it literally that much smaller a market that there's just little innovation going on?

Beginning readers at his age. My younger reads things like My Father's Dragon, Nate the Great, Magic Treehouse, etc. and your ds is younger still. You want it to be instructional reading level but not too high. For chapter books for now I would just do audio without the words. That is what my younger ds does.

Ah, that's what I was trying to figure out!  I think I might also look to see if comics come this way.  

I'm asking about the covers, because the cover/case for my iPad is a Maroo and has these resilient corners that absorb shock if it falls.  My iPad has been dropped numerous times without incident.  It seems like almost ALL the kindle covers I looked at have a simple leather face and leather (or pleather) corners.  So if it were to drop while open, it would land face down and crack, seems to me.  I just don't know how well those covers do with drops, kwim?  There's so little variety in the kindle covers I'm finding.  Is it literally that much smaller a market that there's just little innovation going on?

My 7 year old has dropped his more times than I can count and while he is having issues losing power unless charging, he has yet to crack a screen. We have this one.

No covers here and have survived multiple drops.

I have no advice re: the immersion reading - I haven't been able to get DD to read on the Kindle at all.  

She loves audio books on it though.  I wish her favorites showed up as whisper-sync because she's listened to them enough times that she should be able to read along - but as far as I can tell if it doesn't say whisper-sync then it won't do the immersion reading - I'd love if someone told me differently though.    I'm about ready to by her very favorite and test that theory.

Ooo, now there's an interesting thought, that the books he has somewhat memorized (some of the Chronicles of Narnia, for instance) he might like with immersion reading...

Good to know your device is surviving!  I did finally break down and make a choice and order a cover.  I went with a $10 folio cover off ebay.  He's used to a folio and, even though mine is a maroo with super corners that you can slingshot through the air and have the device survive, still I think he can take care of it reasonably well and be fine.  I liked the Otterbox and the Armourbox FP linked to.  I don't know, maybe it will work out or maybe it won't.  Decisions, lol.  

Here's what I got.  Someone mentioned it elsewhere on the boards.  I'm not sure it's particularly better or worse at drops than a lidless silicone case, so I went with it.  The color is right for him--brown.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fintie-PU-Leather-Folio-Case-Cover-Stand-For-Kindle-Fire-HDX-7-7-2013-Model-Tab-/231236565117?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&var=&hash=item35d6c5f87d

Glad you found one you like.  The cover looks good.  And what a great price!  It looks like it will hold up well.  There are some nice color choices there, too!  

We got this one but only had two color choices at the time (black or purple):

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Standing-Polyurethane-Origami/dp/B00DR0BCOS/ref=br_lf_m_1000894841_1_15_img?ie=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&pf_rd_p=1626806182&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000894841&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y353QRB5Y9ENMWJVYH2

but that ISN'T the price we paid.  Yowza, they are expensive.  Not sure I would buy another one of those for that price.  Really good cover, though.  We are very happy with it.  Thankfully, we paid a whole lot less.