Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW29

Robin M

Happy Sunday, my lovelies!  Today is the start of week 29 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Armchair Traveling through the 18th Century:   The 18th century, from 1701 to 1800, began in the the age of Enlightenment, turned to Romanticism in the later part of the century.   In the late 1700's in Germany, Wiemar Classicism was dominant, combining the elements of romantic, classical and enlightenment.  Rather than the seriousness portrayed by English romanticism, German writers veered towards beauty, humor and wit.  Key literary figures during that period of times were Germany's Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe and Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel; French writer FranĂƒÂ§ois-Marie Arouet, better know as Voltaire; Irish poet, essayist and cleric Jonathan Swift; British writers Henry Fielding and Jane Austen, among others.

Currently in my backpack is Henry Fielding's The History of Tom Jones, Matt Rees Mozart's Last Aria, Diana Gabaldon's Voyager and Mathew Gregory Lewis's The Monk.  

Be sure to visit Historical Novels which has a great list of books from Britain, the European Continent and North America.   Plus Goodreads list of Popular 18th Century Literature.  Also check out The Search for National Identity - Russian Literature of the 18th Century.

Join me in exploring the 18th century. 

History of the Ancient World:  Chapters 30 and 31 

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 28

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started reading:

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

Still reading:

The Glory of Heaven by John MacArthur

Finished reading:

1. The Curiosity by Stephen Kiernan (AVERAGE)

2. The Last Time I Saw Paris by Lynn Sheene (GOOD)

3. Unwind by Neal Shusterman (EXCELLENT)

4. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (EXCELLENT)

5. The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith by Peter Hitchens (AMAZING)

6. Champion by Marie Lu (PRETTY GOOD)

7. Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink (INCREDIBLE)

8. Cultivating Christian Character by Michael Zigarelli (HO-HUM)

9. Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff (um...WOW. So amazing and sad)

10. Pressure Points: Twelve Global Issues Shaping the Face of the Church by JD Payne (SO-SO)

11. The Happiness Project: Or Why I spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. by Gretchen Rubin (GOOD)

12. Reading and Writing Across Content Areas by Roberta Sejnost (SO-SO)

13. Winter of the World by Ken Follet (PRETTY GOOD)

14. The School Revolution: A New Answer for our Broken Education System by Ron Paul (GREAT)

15. Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen (LOVED IT)

16. Beyond the Hole in the Wall: Discover the Power of Self-Organized Learning by Sugata Mitra (GOOD)

17. Can Computers Keep Secrets? - How a Six-Year-Old's Curiosity Could Change the World by Tom Barrett (GOOD)

18. You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself by David McRaney (GOOD)

19. Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (OK)

20. Follow Me by David Platt (GOOD)

21. The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman (SO-SO)

22. Falls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman (OK)

23. A Neglected Grace: Family Worship in the Christian Home by Jason Helopoulos (GOOD)

24. The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan (DEPRESSING)

25. No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige (SO-SO)

26. 84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff (DELIGHTFUL)

27. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman (WORST ENDING EVER)

28. Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (SO-SO)

29. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis (BRILLIANT)

30. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker (WONDERFUL)

31. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (CAN'T-PUT-IT-DOWN-READ-IT-ALL-IN-ONE-SITTING BOOK)

32. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (SUPER CREEPY BUT REALLY GOOD)

33. A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout (WONDERFUL)

I'm partway through Jonathan Norrell and Mr. Strange.  Also reading # 11 in Nalini Singh's Psy changeling series Tangle of Need. One more book after this in the series and it will be end of the silence arc.  *pout*     Also in progress: Alice LaPlante's huge book -  The Making of a Story: Norton guide to creative writing

I'm reading a ton of writing books and trying to decide what to use this fall.  I'm also reading the Homeric Hymns and will try to work in Works and Days now that I don't have any papers or peer evaluations to worry about.  This is also the week to put librarything.com to work and sort the books each child will need this fall.

I started Master & Commander on audio book, but I think I'll drag the print book out because I keep falling asleep and am not getting into the story.  And I really want to read The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey.

I'm not sure I finished anything this last week except Theogony.  Oh, and the Once and Future King as an audio book.

I finished up The Golem and the Jinni this past week bringing my yearly total to 33. After years of reading non-fiction this year the pendulum has swung decidedly in the other direction. Thus far my 5/5 challenge...

Magical Realism -- 3/5
Ancient History from Women's Perspective -- 3/5
Mary Stewart --3/5
Midwifery Novels -- 3/5
Novels centering around Famous Works of Art -- 0/5

This last category is new. I'd originally thought I'd include fairy tales but it was too similar to Magical Realism so I cast about thinking of what I could use instead and came up with that, inspired by the movie we saw earlier this week, 'Tim's Vermeer'. Vermeer has occupied a place in my inner landscape for decades now, particularly his most famous picture, Girl with a Pearl Earring. A reproduction of this hung in my mom's flat for years along with this beautiful Fantin Latour repro...

Those two paintings are bookends of my late teen and young adult years, greeting me as they did whenever I visited my mom's place. They were always there, luminous and beautiful angels of light and color silently bearing witness to the filial relationships that played out in those modest rooms. A few years ago I had the opportunity to see an exhibit of Dutch masters that contained the famous 'Pearl Earring' painting. The exhibit was curated in such a brilliant way, leading one through several rooms with lovely Dutch paintings by Rembrandt and other painters of the day, building one's anticipation and cultivating the right inner space to finally meet the masterpiece, much like a lover running towards her Beloved. And that's a bit how it felt, you turned a corner to enter a room somewhere in the middle of the sanctum and there she was some distance away rising in front of you at the end of the room like a moon, incandescent and hushed. There was the briefest moment of beholding each other and then you were plunged into immediacy as the crowd jostled and moved forwards towards the beacon she was.

So I have chosen five books in that category :: The Lady and the Unicorn centers around the famous medieval tapestries ; Girl with a Pearl Earring focusing on Vermeer ; The Painted Girls focusing on Degas's 'Little Dancer' painting ; The Painted Kiss centering around Klimt's famous painting and finally a toss up between Mona Lisa : A Life Discovered or Luncheon of the Boating Party focusing on the well-known painting by Renoir. I've tried to keep these books to the less than 300 page realm due to starting this category so late but a couple of them exceed that limit so we'll see how I go with this. I have a few back-ups in case the above books don't hold my interest. Of course none of them are available on overdrive so it'll be all hard copy books for me for this category.

I've listened to 5 audio books this year. All of them non-fiction. I'm going to branch out into the fiction realm with Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series. I've read several of these and enjoyed them and the narrator of the audiobooks has a deliciously plummy voice with all the indications of a certain kind of English lineage which exalts the listening experience.

Next book for me will be My Notorious Life as part of my 5/5 challenge for the midwifery category.

I'm reading a ton of writing books and trying to decide what to use this fall.  I'm also reading the Homeric Hymns and will try to work in Works and Days now that I don't have any papers or peer evaluations to worry about.  This is also the week to put librarything.com to work and sort the books each child will need this fall.

I started Master & Commander on audio book, but I think I'll drag the print book out because I keep falling asleep and am not getting into the story.  And I really want to read The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey.

I'm not sure I finished anything this last week except Theogony.  Oh, and the Once and Future King as an audio book.

I tried listening to Master and Commander, but all the ship and nautical terms were throwing me. Found reading the story much easier. 

Are you trying to decide on writing books for yourself or the kids? 

I tried listening to Master and Commander, but all the ship and nautical terms were throwing me. Found reading the story much easier. 

Are you trying to decide on writing books for yourself or the kids? 

I think for the kids. ;)  I'm down to 3 kids at home and in school, so now I need to decide if I want to keep them together or have them work on writing individually.  I have far TOO many resources, and I don't like teaching writing, but hate paying to outsource it too. I'm going to read through Thinking in Threes and look over WWS and CW again too.  

Any ideas or suggestions? :D

Last week: Novel Without a Name by Vietnamese author Duong Thu Huong. 

This novel is an examination of the Vietnam/American War from the North Vietnamese side. The first section of the novel follows the main character Quan, a 10 year veteran of the war, who takes a journey north to help a childhood friend who has become mentally unhinged. He is sent by another childhood friend who has risen up the chain of command. Huong moves between vibrant and poignant images and Quan's poetic imaginings as Quan finds his friend, returns to his village, and then returns to his unit for the end of the war. 

The book really resonated for me. I don't usually like war novels, but I did like this one. I think part of the reason is because it was written by a woman. It was a bit lighter than many male war novels (in terms of who-shot-whom), and it spent time examining the war experience for many different types of people. The other reason was that it felt completely authentic. Huong worked as a liason along the active war zone for more than 10 years. The images ring true. This focus on the individuals, as well as the classical-poetical mental ramblings and dreams experience by Quan truly made me feel l was getting "the other side of the war." 

About 2/3 of the way through the novel I felt embarrassed about my limited understanding of Vietnam's history. They have a long history of fighting off invaders from the Monghols and the Chinese to the French in the 1950s. The book made me get out my History of South East Asia and do a little research (although background is not necessary to enjoy this book, I found myself wanting more). 

Recommended for another history of the Vietnam/American War. 

Espresso Tales  by Alexander McCall Smith (author of the 1st Ladies Detective Series)

This is the second book in McCall Smith's ensemble book set in Edinburgh. It doesn't seem to matter starting here rather than the first book. I did not read the first book and I didn't feel anything lacking. This book follows a large cast of characters. Some are very engrossing (the tirals of little Bertie and his bizarrely smothering mother) and others are odd little bits of parody (the remarkably dull lawyer reading his memoirs aloud to his wife). The best parts of the book are the little skewers of people's characters and the random thoughts and asides. There were moments when I sighed because I didn't really want to read about the really self-involved guy again, but for the most part those were equaled out by the little random thoughts and twists of fate. 

It was okay. I would consider reading another. I'd love to see what happens to Bertie, although there are a few other characters I could live without reading. 

In Nonna's Kitchen 

This book is a combination cookbook and memoir-hymn to Italy's 'la cucina della nonna' (the cuisine of grandmothers/grandmother's traditional home cooking). I greatly enjoyed the stories of these women from all over Italy. Where they were born, how their regional traditions influences their cooking, how they cook seasonally or preserve food. Really enjoyable slice-of-life type stuff. I really wanted more of that. I liked the human story more than the food, I suppose. It's interesting to know how women prepared food even 50 years ago! Convenience and transportation has changed food immensely. 

I haven't tried out any of the recipes yet. No suggestions there. But this was an interesting read. 

Working on: 

I think for the kids. ;) I'm down to 3 kids at home and in school, so now I need to decide if I want to keep them together or have them work on writing individually. I have far TOO many resources, and I don't like teaching writing, but hate paying to outsource it too. I'm going to read through Thinking in Threes and look over WWS and CW again too.

Any ideas or suggestions? :D

Everything formal writing wise has been a big fail with my kiddo. He loves writing fan fiction so I let him go wild with that and just give him feed back and editing tips. This year we are going to try the One Year Adventure Novel, plus The Lively Art of Writing. I hate teaching writing as well.

I'm still working on Natchez Burning, by Greg Iles, as well as slowly reading through Wherever You Go, There You Are.  I just got The Signature of All Things, as an audiobook from the library.  I heard that it's a wonderful audiobook, and I thought it would keep me company on my runs.  

Natchez Burning is a good mystery/thriller.  I've never read Greg Iles before, or even heard of him.  It's long, but fairly well written, especially for a book in this genre.  

I'm re-reading The House of Spirits. I read this a few years ago and loved it. It's interesting to read it again when I'm at a different point in my life and my children are older and much has changed.
I've decided to re-read some of favorites more often, not as often as C.S. Lewis suggests, but after y several books.

Still reading Jonathan Strange.  I am supposedly 54% through but the page count indicates I am slightly further.  Obviously the math thing is bothering me.  ;)  I am enjoying it but I really need complete concentration on it to catch many clever bits which means I am reading other things.

Currently reading an apparently popular cozy on the kindle called Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay.  It is going quickly fortunately because Overdrive will be taking it away in the morning.  I was just going to check it out again later but discovered the list is huge for it.  I think I just checked it out without a list.  Obviously things change.

On the writing front we are working through WWS which Ds and I finally agreed on since he didn't like any of the writing programs that I kept making him start. WWS is honestly the least of the evils for him not exactly glowing but honest.  He does it without it being too painful for either of us.  It is also clear enough so he can be somewhat independent. We both like that.

Espresso Tales  by Alexander McCall Smith (author of the 1st Ladies Detective Series)

This is the second book in McCall Smith's ensemble book set in Edinburgh. It doesn't seem to matter starting here rather than the first book. I did not read the first book and I didn't feel anything lacking. This book follows a large cast of characters. Some are very engrossing (the tirals of little Bertie and his bizarrely smothering mother) and others are odd little bits of parody (the remarkably dull lawyer reading his memoirs aloud to his wife). The best parts of the book are the little skewers of people's characters and the random thoughts and asides. There were moments when I sighed because I didn't really want to read about the really self-involved guy again, but for the most part those were equaled out by the little random thoughts and twists of fate. 

It was okay. I would consider reading another. I'd love to see what happens to Bertie, although there are a few other characters I could live without reading. 

I read all the Isabel Dalhousie series by this author and absolutely loved them. Tried the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and couldn't find my way in. I glanced briefly at the series you've linked but it didn't grab me and your description confirms my initial take on it. I'm curious about how I could be so thoroughly enthused by one series an author wrote and fairly indifferent towards anything else they wrote.

Working on: 

This one look's fascinating and the cover is lovely particularly set against the kilim (?) ikat? rug.

Have a great trip! May safe travels and fun adventures be yours. But behave ourselves while you're away? I think not...

I was less concerned about the messes and more concerned that once again you would eat All the Chocolate without saving a single piece for me

I was less concerned about the messes and more concerned that once again you would eat All the Chocolate without saving a single piece for me.

Well, this indicates a certain wisdom on your part. Clearly your priorities are in the right place. Chocolate will be saved for you upon your return :D

... Thus far my 5/5 challenge...

Magical Realism -- 3/5

Ancient History from Women's Perspective -- 3/5

Mary Stewart --3/5

Midwifery Novels -- 3/5

Novels centering around Famous Works of Art -- 0/5

This last category is new. I'd originally thought I'd include fairy tales but it was too similar to Magical Realism so I cast about thinking of what I could use instead and came up with that, inspired by the movie we saw earlier this week, 'Tim's Vermeer'. Vermeer has occupied a place in my inner landscape for decades now, particularly his most famous picture, Girl with a Pearl Earring. A reproduction of this hung in my mom's flat for years along with this beautiful Fantin Latour repro...

Bethrothal-Fantin-Latour-L.jpg

Those two paintings are bookends of my late teen and young adult years, greeting me as they did whenever I visited my mom's place. They were always there, luminous and beautiful angels of light and color silently bearing witness to the filial relationships that played out in those modest rooms. A few years ago I had the opportunity to see an exhibit of Dutch masters that contained the famous 'Pearl Earring' painting. The exhibit was curated in such a brilliant way, leading one through several rooms with lovely Dutch paintings by Rembrandt and other painters of the day, building one's anticipation and cultivating the right inner space to finally meet the masterpiece, much like a lover running towards her Beloved. And that's a bit how it felt, you turned a corner to enter a room somewhere in the middle of the sanctum and there she was some distance away rising in front of you at the end of the room like a moon, incandescent and hushed. There was the briefest moment of beholding each other and then you were plunged into immediacy as the crowd jostled and moved forwards towards the beacon she was.

So I have chosen five books in that category :: The Lady and the Unicorn centers around the famous medieval tapestries ; Girl with a Pearl Earring focusing on Vermeer ; The Painted Girls focusing on Degas's 'Little Dancer' painting ; The Painted Kiss centering around Klimt's famous painting and finally a toss up between Mona Lisa : A Life Discovered or Luncheon of the Boating Party focusing on the well-known painting by Renoir. I've tried to keep these books to the less than 300 page realm due to starting this category so late but a couple of them exceed that limit so we'll see how I go with this. I have a few back-ups in case the above books don't hold my interest. Of course none of them are available on overdrive so it'll be all hard copy books for me for this category.

If you haven't already read it / put it on your backup list already, you might take a look at Vreeland's Passion of Artemesia - not as well known, and not one work of art specifically, but quite a story...

Last week: Novel Without a Name by Vietnamese author Duong Thu Huong. 

229001.jpg

This novel is an examination of the Vietnam/American War from the North Vietnamese side. The first section of the novel follows the main character Quan, a 10 year veteran of the war, who takes a journey north to help a childhood friend who has become mentally unhinged. He is sent by another childhood friend who has risen up the chain of command. Huong moves between vibrant and poignant images and Quan's poetic imaginings as Quan finds his friend, returns to his village, and then returns to his unit for the end of the war. 

The book really resonated for me. I don't usually like war novels, but I did like this one. I think part of the reason is because it was written by a woman. It was a bit lighter than many male war novels (in terms of who-shot-whom), and it spent time examining the war experience for many different types of people. The other reason was that it felt completely authentic. Huong worked as a liason along the active war zone for more than 10 years. The images ring true. This focus on the individuals, as well as the classical-poetical mental ramblings and dreams experience by Quan truly made me feel l was getting "the other side of the war." 

About 2/3 of the way through the novel I felt embarrassed about my limited understanding of Vietnam's history. They have a long history of fighting off invaders from the Monghols and the Chinese to the French in the 1950s. The book made me get out my History of South East Asia and do a little research (although background is not necessary to enjoy this book, I found myself wanting more). 

Recommended for another history of the Vietnam/American War. 

This looks fascinating - thank you!

35630.jpg

And your friend Jane is putting hers on.  I'll check in with y'all periodically.  Behave yourselves!

Happy travels, Jane!!   :seeya:   Be good yourself!

I'm re-reading The House of Spirits. I read this a few years ago and loved it. It's interesting to read it again when I'm at a different point in my life and my children are older and much has changed.

I've decided to re-read some of favorites more often, not as often as C.S. Lewis suggests, but after every several books.

Love this image. :)

Negin, where do you find that image? I love it.

Currently reading an apparently popular cozy on the kindle called Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay.  It is going quickly fortunately because Overdrive will be taking it away in the morning.  I was just going to check it out again later but discovered the list is huge for it.  I think I just checked it out without a list.  Obviously things change.

I hope it's good, 'cause I just reserved it. I couldn't resist that title.

I'm still reading Paris in the Twentieth Century. The main character is  one of the few people left in in an Industrial/Financial France of the artistic temperament. We are learning how he lives day to day and manages to find others like himself. Mr. Verne waxes poetic about the great musicians, authors, and artists of the past who are now relegated to the dustbins of history. There are some definite touches of humor as well. It is interesting to compare his vision of the future with what has actually transpired.

I read The Body Artist by Don DeLillo. He took single-second thoughts and actions and stretched them out, describing what is thought, felt, seen, etc. in each fraction of that second - showing just how full a second is and how much we think and do and dismiss as normal or trivial. It was artistic, interesting and short.

I also read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, which was a bit lewd and issues heavy, but funny and good hearted, and I know my ds is enjoying it. I read some of Alexie's poetry a year or two ago and some of the things mentioned in this novel (like the uranium mines near his reservation and his sister dying in a fire) were mentioned in his poetry too.

Utopia I just finished and I enjoyed it despite not agreeing with everything - particularly the sexism, which seemed weird since they included women in their military. 

And I started The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, winner of the Man Booker prize in 2008, currently 1.99 on Kindle. 

I read The Body Artist by Don DeLillo. He took single-second thoughts and actions and stretched them out, describing what is thought, felt, seen, etc. in each fraction of that second - showing just how full a second is and how much we think and do and dismiss as normal or trivial. It was artistic, interesting and short.

I also read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, which was a bit lewd and issues heavy, but funny and good hearted, and I know my ds is enjoying it. I read some of Alexie's poetry a year or two ago and some of the things mentioned in this novel (like the uranium mines near his reservation and his sister dying in a fire) were mentioned in his poetry too.

Utopia I just finished and I enjoyed it despite not agreeing with everything - particularly the sexism, which seemed weird since they included women in their military. 

And I started The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, winner of the Man Booker prize in 2008, currently 1.99 on Kindle. 

Thank-you.  I just clicked and bought it.  :)

Quick update--not reading much. Summer is time for other projects--like sorting home school books, cleaning out dressers for Goodwill runs, making copies, making jam, etc. Anyway...

-Finished Jo Walton's Half a Crown. Really enjoyed the whole series.

-Girls and I finished Jane Eyre a couple of weeks back--not sure I mentioned it.

-We also just finished listening to the last Harry Potter book in the car. Started with #3 in March. Youngest wants to go back and do #1 and #2, but most popular audio books are checked out by families on road trips at the moment! So we have the second book from The Mysterious Benedict Society going right now, and Riordan's The Red Pyramid is now waiting for us on the hold shelf. Both books on CD.

-I'm reading Chester Nez's Code Talker now. He was the last of the original 29 Navajo code talkers from WWII and when the paper ran an article on him after his death a few months back I put his book on hold. This is another one that appealed to dh, so he actually finished it first. Bonus--he says his dad would really like it for Christmas, so there is one hard-to-shop-for person done. I'm enjoying the book too--learning about the Navajo life in 20's/30's New Mexico and about WWII. And of course about the code talkers, a topic that has always interested me.

-Slow going on Possession--nothing new!

-Behind again on HOTAW--nothing new!

-Picking out reading for youngest for our history year. I will probably need to read some/most of that to discuss with her. She is not a particularly avid reader and will need a little parental encouragement!

Happy travels,  Jane!

Michele,  I share your woes on teaching writing.  I am good at it  at all.  I have gone through just about every writing program known to man and have come to the conclusion that it is me, not the program.  I'm just bad at teaching writing.

I am reading  The Rithmatist  by Brandon Sanderson.  I don't  know whether you would call it YA or teen but it is fantasy and I am loving it!   I am bummed that the second (and possibly last) book in this series isn't  going to be out until next year.  I know I don't have a choice but I don't really want to wait that long.

I started Master & Commander on audio book, but I think I'll drag the print book out because I keep falling asleep and am not getting into the story. 

How funny because I did better with Master and Commander on audio because of all the nautical terms.  It was just part of the story, sounded natural and now by the 9th or 10th book it all makes sense!  Which narrator are you listening to?  I love Patrick Tull's narration -- it feels like some old salty sailor is telling the stories over a pint in a cozy pub.

And your friend Jane is putting hers on.  I'll check in with y'all periodically.  Behave yourselves!

And where do you think you're going?  Did we have time to form a committee, discuss and approve of your traveling?  But I'm with Kareni on this:

But, but ...

"Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History."*

Happy travels, Jane!

Regards,

Kareni

* According to this article, this quote should properly be attributed to Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

And finally:

I'm still reading Paris in the Twentieth Century. The main character is  one of the few people left in in an Industrial/Financial France of the artistic temperament. We are learning how he lives day to day and manages to find others like himself. Mr. Verne waxes poetic about the great musicians, authors, and artists of the past who are now relegated to the dustbins of history. There are some definite touches of humor as well. It is interesting to compare his vision of the future with what has actually transpired.

This book sounds just amazing, but I'll be curious what you think of it overall.  The reviews on Amazon talk about how extraordinary his vision of the future is but it sounds like it isn't a well fleshed out story as his later books. 

This book sounds just amazing, but I'll be curious what you think of it overall.  The reviews on Amazon talk about how extraordinary his vision of the future is but it sounds like it isn't a well fleshed out story as his later books. 

This is true. The story seems more like a novella and it is a fairly simple read for something written in that time period. I'm finding it to be on a similar level to More's Utopia. Instead of extolling the virtues of this new kind of society, it laments what has been lost.

Just finished the Audible version of  City of Thieves narrated by Ron Perlman. Wow, what a great story. In spite of it's harsh language and brutality it is definitely one of my top 5 for the year. I want to find out more about this topic. I'll be looking for a copy of The Seige next.

417Ym7Cj9jL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

We just got home from a trip up North. We rolled in, got the kiddies fed and in bed, picked up a bit, started the masses of vacation laundry, and I sent my husband to grab our sweet foster baby from our friend's house where he stayed when we went to tromp around in the woods at a hunting lodge. It's good to be home! While we were up at the lodge, I read Neil Gaiman's Fortunately The Milk because I was trying to talk my 12 year old nephew into reading it. He wasn't interested so I read it and then kept reading bits out loud to him. He did leave with it. ;)

I'm almost finished with Written In My Own Heart's Blood. I love the characters but it feels unnecessarily long and like we're dragging things out a lot in this one. I'm thinking it's about time to wrap up the books but now that Starz is putting out the TV series next month, I don't foresee that happening soon.

We just got home from a trip up North. We rolled in, got the kiddies fed and in bed, picked up a bit, started the masses of vacation laundry, and I sent my husband to grab our sweet foster baby from our friend's house where he stayed when we went to tromp around in the woods at a hunting lodge. It's good to be home! While we were up at the lodge, I read Neil Gaiman's Fortunately The Milk because I was trying to talk my 12 year old nephew into reading it. He wasn't interested so I read it and then kept reading bits out loud to him. He did leave with it. ;)

Aww, you're a Very Good Aunt!

Just finished the Audible version of City of Thieves narrated by Ron Perlman. Wow, what a great story. In spite of it's harsh language and brutality it is definitely one of my top 5 for the year. I want to find out more about this topic. I'll be looking for a copy of The Seige next.

That one is in the pile. I guess it needs to move to the top since everyone here has loved it. But first I need to finish Jonathan Strange.

Just popping in to say that I'm briefly abandoning everything else I'm reading because I accidentally read the first few pages of When Gods Die by CS Harris and I'm hooked. I'm really enjoying the Sebastian St. Cyr series!

I am so glad you are enjoying those and you aren't even at the mermaid (I think it is called When Mermaids Sing) yet. Love that one and the one after that.

I read all the Isabel Dalhousie series by this author and absolutely loved them. Tried the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and couldn't find my way in. I glanced briefly at the series you've linked but it didn't grab me and your description confirms my initial take on it. I'm curious about how I could be so thoroughly enthused by one series an author wrote and fairly indifferent towards anything else they wrote.

The Dalhousies are mentioned in passing in this novel. This book is mostly about their neighbors at 44 Scotland Street. I was amused that my favorite character didn't seem to care for them much. :)

But, but ...

"Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History."*

thumb.jpg   JaneDigbyCarlHaag.jpg

Jane Digby~definitely not a well-behaved woman

Just popping in to say that I'm briefly abandoning everything else I'm reading because I accidentally read the first few pages of When Gods Die by CS Harris and I'm hooked.  I'm really enjoying the Sebastian St. Cyr series!  

That's how I got hooked reading The Host. I accidentally read the first chapter. My ds raised his eyebrow at me when he saw the book because it's so far from my normal reading choices. I told him, "I accidentally read the beginning and now I can't stop." He laughed, shaking his head and asked, "How does one 'accidentally' start reading a book?"

Gotta love the very literal mind of a 13 yr old. I know that you all here understand how one can accidentally read a book.

How sad is it that I've started a book on my Kindle and I have no idea what the title is?

In my defense, I purchased this book awhile ago, and I merely opened up an unread book on my Kindle without looking at titles. It's a mystery. That much I've figured out. ;)

I know I should pick up Jonathan Strange, I'm sure I would like it, but I just can't make myself do it for some reason. Partly, it just looks so big & I think I'm not in the mood to tackle a big book now. :tongue_smilie:

I need to accidentally read the beginning of some book that will catch my interest!

I know I should pick up Jonathan Strange, I'm sure I would like it, but I just can't make myself do it for some reason. Partly, it just looks so big & I think I'm not in the mood to tackle a big book now. :tongue_smilie:

I need to accidentally read the beginning of some book that will catch my interest!

This is where I'm at right now, having just read two long books back to back I'm ready for something in the 300 pages or under section. I started My Notorious Life and it's another longish one at close to 500 pages. So far I don't love it and that combined with the length has me feeling fickle. However I'm less than 10% in so I'll need to give it more of a go before abandoning it but I've already got that sloggy feeling that comes when you start a longish book and it doesn't grab you.

Yes, I read several No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books and they were fine at first, but I was really and truly tired of them after a while. 

I really love the Isabel Dalhousie books that I've read so far. 

I haven't yet read any other series by him, but I do look forward to doing so hopefully soon. 

Negin, where do you find that image? I love it.

Thank you :).

Pinterest. 

How sad is it that I've started a book on my Kindle and I have no idea what the title is?

In my defense, I purchased this book awhile ago, and I merely opened up an unread book on my Kindle without looking at titles. It's a mystery. That much I've figured out. ;)

It's a mystery mystery.

Regards,

Kareni