Menu

Sniff Sniff

Guest mrweirdo

Guest mrweirdo

Hi,

Just started some summer tutoring for daughter (3rd grade in Sept) and son (4th grade) using Susan Bauer's "The Complete Writer" workbooks which are life-savers since English is not my mother tongue.  They are currently enrolled in a Montessori school which does a good job but I still can feel some holes...especially my daughter who is a master in covering up non-competence.  There is another part of me doesn't want to work them too hard after all it is summer... end up having the schedule slipping by.  :-(

Regards,

William

Welcome! I think as long as you make seem like part of their day, it won't interfere with summer too much.  We are always learning something new even during summertime.  Otherwise we'd go nuts.  Make it fun and painless.

Guest mrweirdo

Thanks.  I found good teaching materials help but making it fun has been tough.  For example, my son was working on the "Grammar Lab" which has some cartoons in it, He told me that he was only interested in how the comics unfold and not the grammar lessons themselves.  He figures out where the fun parts are... "Now you stop me?  I was just getting to the fun part."   Hard to trick them... the only way to make it go is military boot camp style.