Menu

s/o Best family dog for beginner?

poppy

What's a friendly and relatively easy dog for someone who's never had one, and does not have a big yard? 

We're probably a bit away from getting one (my kids are 6 and 4) but I want a framework for thinking about it. We'd definitely get a rescue, so I want to keep my eyes open starting this fall if there are  a few breeds that would be a really good fit.

I think a smaller sized mutt would be best. They don't have as many behavioral or medical issues as many pure breeds do. If you have a local shelter, it would be a good idea to go and take some for a "test drive." See how they act with the kids.

I would go to a rescue that provides foster families instead of a shelter, because they will have monitored the dogs behavior over time and be able to tell you a lot more about the pup.

Even if you had a large yard, you will want to walk your dog daily if possible (more than once, even). Walking is good for the dog's brain as well as the body, and a dog that has both kinds of exercise will be happier, no matter the breed. So I wouldn't limit yourself to a small breed just because of the size of your yard.

Personally, I'd go with a Golden Retriever. They have lovely temperments, are good with children, and are pretty hardy and compliant. But remember, dogs at rescues were "given up." That means a higher percentage have behavioral problems--just be prepared (and that's why I say a fostering rescue is better). Ours was a rescue, too--but private because the family had two children, one on way, and 7mo old Goldens can be a handful. He's lovely, now--had him 12 years in Sept and a sweeter dog just can't be found!

If you have not socialized your kids to dogs, as I hadn't, I would recommend taking them to rescue events and getting them used to dogs. Just knowing basics like, dogs lick and sniff and are not scary, don't be running up to a strange dog, etc can help when you are ready for one.

I would go to a rescue that provides foster families instead of a shelter, because they will have monitored the dogs behavior over time and be able to tell you a lot more about the pup.

Our shelter actually does this. They have a foster program, plus they have people who work with the animals and train them and record things about them, like what they do and don't like, how they are with other animals, etc. Very nice one. I guess all aren't like that.

What size do you think you'd prefer?

Shedding or non-shedding?  If shedding, how much can you deal with?

How much grooming can you/do you want to do?

Do you mind taking a dog for professional grooming?

Would you prefer a quieter dog?  Is a little barking okay?  Maybe a lot isn't a big deal?

Do you prefer a more aloof/independent dog, or do you want one who needs lots and lots of human interaction (a velcro dog)? They all need some human interaction, of course, but the amount does vary.

How much exercise can you realistically provide?  Will that be mostly from walking, or do you have access to a fenced in area?

Do you want a watch dog who will alert you to anything amiss, or do you prefer a dog who thinks everybody he sees is his long lost best friend?

These are just a few things you need to think about.  IMO nobody can give you any worthwhile recommendations until you answer some of those questions.  (Please don't anyone throw tomatoes at me, but) -- If you don't give a lot of specifics, most people will just recommend whatever breed(s) they have or like.  Which may or may not be a good fit for you and your family.

Very useful, thanks all.  I hadn't really thought through the rescue vs shelter angle.

Is it better to get a dog that is "smart"?  My husband says labs are on the higher end of the scale for smarts, goldens on the lower. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each, just wondering how important it is in terms of training & temperament.

I want to add I do understand that ANY dog is a commitment to several walks daily.

I'll add when I say "easy" I mean low grooming (understanding all dogs need to be groomed) and not as needy emotionally (understanding all dogs need to be loved).

Very useful, thanks all.  I hadn't really thought through the rescue vs shelter angle.

Is it better to get a dog that is "smart"?  My husband says labs are on the higher end of the scale for smarts, goldens on the lower. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each, just wondering how important it is in terms of training & temperament.

I want to add I do understand that ANY dog is a commitment to several walks daily.

IMO smart dogs are typically the most difficult pets, especially for first time dog owners.  As Patricia McConnell (well known behaviorist/trainer) once said about pet dogs -- "Dumb is good."  And that's because dumb is typically much easier to live with than smart.  Although I don't think there really is such a thing as a dumb dog.  Many, many people mistakenly believe that independent dogs are dumb and eager-to-please dogs are smart.  In general that's not true.  People believe it, though, because eager-to-please dogs are generally much easier to train and therefore they make their person feel smart (or like the world's greatest dog trainer). ;)

I wouldn't rank Labs or GRs particularly high on the intelligence scale.

I think a beagle mix makes a really nice family dog. Our beagle/basset hound mix is medium sized (35 lbs), very patient with the kids, and affectionate. She doesn't have high daily exercise needs, but she loves to go hiking with us and explore the woods.

I vote Lab, or lab mix. Their temperaments are almost universally good, especially with children. Not a puppy though- they are hell on wheels. Shelters are full of 2ish labs that their people got tired off because lab puppies just suck, but 2 is calming down nicely and you can swoop in and get a really great dog. Low grooming maintenance, we have never had ours groomed, we just bath her when she needs it, but the shedding does suck. They don't smell like some dogs get a "dog" smell, but they will swim, roll in dead stuff, etc if the opportunity presents itself. I do not think they are smart, myself, but they are people pleasers to the highest degree, so they are responsive- better than smart, IMO! need a lot of exercise but are fine with an apartment, no yard- ours has been hauled around Asia, huge cities. Even when we had a yard, labs don't like to be alone so it isn't like the dog will be hanging outside anyway. They want to be right with you.

My siblings all have labs/lab mixes, we are all on our second dogs, and we all have done the 2 ish dog at the shelter thing. Hard to go wrong with a lab!

Labs are good.  There is a reason why they are the most popular dog in the US.  They can be a little high energy, so you need to plan to exercise them, but it's not bouncing off the walls high, like some breeds.

A Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a nice breed for someone who doesn't want to do much grooming and doesn't care for a velcro dog.  Little or no grooming (if the dog gets dirty, take them down the local lake or river and toss a ball in...they are amazing swimmers and retrievers...they'll play and get cleaned all at the same time).  They do need daily exercise, but if you like to have a dog that loves to fetch, you can do it from a chair in your back yard, if you are so inclined.

Great Danes are also wonderful, easy dogs.  They are very loyal and will be protective of your kids (you will want to watch that you keep your alpha position, though, it's not unheard of for dogs to guard kids against angry parents).  Biggest downside is short lifespan.

A Chesapeake Bay Retriever is a nice breed for someone who doesn't want to do much grooming and doesn't care for a velcro dog. Little or no grooming (if the dog gets dirty, take them down the local lake or river and toss a ball in...they are amazing swimmers and retrievers...they'll play and get cleaned all at the same time). They do need daily exercise, but if you like to have a dog that loves to fetch, you can do it from a chair in your back yard, if you are so inclined.

Please do not get a Chesapeake bay retriever. I have one, they are definitely not for the first time dog owner. Amazing dogs but they need a ton of mental and physical activity to be happy and keep out of mischief. Everyone says they are in puppyhood till about age 9.

For a great beginner dog, I'd contact a shelter or rescue and ask them to help you find a great young or adult dog, instead a puppy. Some dogs do come into rescues because of behavior problems, but sometimes amazing, loving, well-behaved dogs end up in rescues/shelters through no fault of their own. A reputable organization will WANT to place a dog with you that's a good fit and should help you find a good family dog.

We adopted an older pup (not our first dog) and it was an amazing experience. He was already potty trained and knew some basic commands and house behavior, but he was still able to grow up in our home with my boys. They've all got such a great relationship, and he's a wonderful dog. :)

Cat

When we decided to get a family dog, we knew we'd get one from a shelter or rescue because so many dogs are given up or abandoned. That's where we've gotten each of our cats over the years, too, and have always had good luck. When we were looking or a dog we wanted one that met the following criteria:

small-medium size

little shedding

gets along with cats (we have 2)

a  young dog, but not a puppy

mild temperament

We looked for about 2 months before we found our ideal dog at the Petsmart one Saturday when a local rescue agency had several dogs available. We though he was so cute and seemed well behaved, but we knew he was our when we found out his name was Chewbacca (Chewy). We already have/had cats named after sci-fi characters. It was meant to be.

Just keep looking until you find one that makes your heart melt. :-)

We have a dachshund, probably a mix since he has uncharacteristically long legs. Although he is small (10 lbs) he is not high-energy or yappy like small dogs can be. He doesn't bark much, and while he doesn't need much exercise he does love to run and play with all of us. He is a people person, so he will shadow us around the house and loves to cuddle. But much of his day is spent sleeping, usually in his "cave" (aka his burrow bed) or on his perch on his favorite sofa pillow. His worst trait relates to house-breaking. We had to gate off our carpeted family room because he thinks the carpet is like one gloriously huge pee-pee pad. Otherwise he is very good about not making messes in the house.

But...my BIL/SIL have our dog's brother/littermate, and he is quite different. He barks a lot, runs away, scratches cabinets, has a fussy tummy--definitely more high-maintenance. My point being, you may generally know what you will get with a certain breed but each individual has its own quirks. The benefit to getting a dog that's older is that you might be able to find out what those quirks are and decide if you are willing to tolerate them.

Our first dog was a rescue-- she was a German Shepherd/Corgi mix-- pretty much half and half.  She looked like a black and tan GS with sawed off legs (not as short as a Corgi's but not normal either!).

She was a year old.  She was potty trained and very gentle with the littles (dds were 3 and 5).  We visited her and walked her around/played with her several times before we made it permanent.

Being one of the 'smarter' dogs we did take her to a dog trainer right away (RECOMMENDED).  The trainer trained US how to work with her.  She was a GREAT first dog!

Small dogs can be forever puppies-- some can be high strung or fearful. 

Our current female is also a rescue dog (from foster home).  She is half white German Shepherd and half lab.  She looks like both--her ears stand up.

She was at least 3yrs old when we adopted her.  She was gentle and POTTY TRAINED (something I needed at the time!).  She fit right into our family.  It took me a few months to really bond to her but it happened. 

Our rescues both had issues with separation anxiety-- current dog will not go outside without a human present (a bummer to our other dog who loves to be outside all day human or no human!). 

maltese/bichon frise.  I would not go rescue with any type of dog.  I know they need homes too but I would worry about how they would react around my kiddos.  At least if they start off in your home as a pup they have a better chance of not going bananas.

We have two rescue dogs now. One we brought home six years ago and the other just a week. They are absolutely awesome! Our dds play with them, sleep with them, feed them out of their hands, walk them, etc.  There have been zero issues. I will always choose rescue dogs because I think they need us the most. We had to choose carefully and pay attention while looking but it honestly wasn't difficult to find a well behaved one among the group.

A pug. Ours is seven years old now. We got ours as a puppy when dc were 3 and 5. She's very sweet and patient, low maintenance grooming, doesn't need a big yard, doesn't eat a ton of food, just the right amount of energy for our family, and sociable without being needy. She's really just a happy, fun little dog that's been a great fit for us.

Please don't buy into the myth that rescues and shelters are full of of terrible, behavior problem dogs. This is NOT the case. Those dogs get put down normally, upon intake, because there are just so, so, so many dogs. because people erroneously believe a puppy is somehow immune to the problems bad breeding and bad training can cause in dogs...so more are bred, with more problems. Do problem dogs exist? Absolutely- and given the huge amount of dogs needing homes, I'm ok with a gentle, humane death for them. Comparatively speaking, those dogs are lucky. But shelters are full of wonderful dogs, given up by people who lose their house and the apartment doesn't take dogs, oops, we had puppies, I had a baby and can't have a dog now...so many reasons, most of them for nothing that is remotely the dogs fault. Like- I bought a purebred lab puppy for 800 bucks but it ate my deck (and I know squat about labs so this surprised me) and so off to the shelter it goes.

These are not "bad" dogs.

These are dogs with bad PEOPLE.

maltese/bichon frise.  I would not go rescue with any type of dog.  I know they need homes too but I would worry about how they would react around my kiddos.  At least if they start off in your home as a pup they have a better chance of not going bananas.

I don't believe that's true.  IME a dog's behavior is more strongly influenced by nature than nurture.  IMO the much safer option, and particularly for first-time owners, is to go with an adult rescue from a reputable group that has their animals in foster homes.  That way the guessing about personality/temperament is minimized.  And usually within a couple of weeks of bringing a dog home you pretty much know what you've got (which is why many rescue groups send dogs to homes on a two-week trial basis).  With puppies it takes a year, and more often two or three, to really see how the dog will turn out.

I'll probably get "stoned" for saying this, but I would not go to a rescue.  I know they need homes but I think it's risky, especially when small children are involved.  We've had dogs since before we had children, last year one of the two we had died, so we went back to the same reputable breeder and purchased a third.  I guess the key is that I know what to expect, and I want my life to be enhanced by a dog.  I don't want to worry about the dogs temperament, or possible health problems that could come with having a dog that hasn't been properly cared for.  That's just my 2 cents though.

Just because a dog is large doesn't mean it needs a large yard.  It means it needs to be taken for walks, which all dogs do, even with a large yard, unless you want them tearing up that yard.  Also, large dogs do not necessarily cost much to feed (this depends on the breed).  Great Danes do not cost much to feed once they reach adulthood because they are not all-day runners (like say, a lab, can be or a border collie).

Op specified a small yard, plus it costs gazillions of dollars to feed them!

Wow!  We had a corgi/chow mix from a rescue, too!  About 60lbs, but very short legs, just like you describe.  Best.Dog.Ever. We have a Great Pyr now, and she's great, but our old corgi/chow was the best thing ever.  Loved people, but no velcro-needy.  Easy on housetraining, liked a good walk, but didn't need a ton of exercise.  Sweet as pie.  We miss her dearly.

Our first dog was a rescue-- she was a German Shepherd/Corgi mix-- pretty much half and half.  She looked like a black and tan GS with sawed off legs (not as short as a Corgi's but not normal either!).

She was a year old.  She was potty trained and very gentle with the littles (dds were 3 and 5).  We visited her and walked her around/played with her several times before we made it permanent.

Being one of the 'smarter' dogs we did take her to a dog trainer right away (RECOMMENDED).  The trainer trained US how to work with her.  She was a GREAT first dog!

Another vote for a foster dog.

I only knew I wanted a smallish, but not tiny, dog without a lot of shedding. It had to have a mild temperament and be good with kids. I had 3 8and under, and I was pregnant. It had to be cute to me, because I knew I would be caring for it and I wanted to love it. It had to be healthy. Age, breed, etc, I didn't care. 

I went to Petfinder.com and plugged in what I was looking for. I found 3 dogs that fit my criteria in my area. I made some calls.

One foster called me back. I started telling her my story. Indoors only, small back yard, lots of kids, home all the time, blah blah blah. 

She said, "You are the family I've been waiting for." She had turned away three other families that she didn't think we're a good fit for Savannah. She needed lots of attention and loved kids. I planned to treat her like another baby and keep her with me at all times. 

Savannah is a perfect fit for us. She's super cute. Rat terrier-Chihuahua mix. She is so calm and mellow and just the most content little dog. Just zesty enough to be fun, no bad habits.  Slightly naughty, but overall, a perfect dog for us.

At home alone all day, without kids to keep her entertained, she would be miserable and destructive. When they leave for the weekend, she is despondent. As an outside dog, she wouldn't survive. She gets out of the yard and runs if we don't watch her closely. She's very sensitive to cold and has a delicate constitution. 

I don't know if we will ever have this breed mix again. She is ideal for this stage of our lives. I don't know how much is breed and how much is just her. 

Greyhounds are fantastic "starter dogs". Very clean, not too energetic at all, don't tend to jump on people, etc etc. Despite their racing past they do NOT need a lot of exercise...at the track very little time was running, most of it was sleeping in a kennel all day long. They come already spayed/neutered, checked for heartworms, usually just had a teeth cleaning, etc etc. They are the most "cat like" dog. I don't advise them for toddlers, but your kids are big enough. 

Please don't buy into the myth that rescues and shelters are full of of terrible, behavior problem dogs. This is NOT the case. Those dogs get put down normally, upon intake, because there are just so, so, so many dogs. because people erroneously believe a puppy is somehow immune to the problems bad breeding and bad training can cause in dogs...so more are bred, with more problems. Do problem dogs exist? Absolutely- and given the huge amount of dogs needing homes, I'm ok with a gentle, humane death for them. Comparatively speaking, those dogs are lucky. But shelters are full of wonderful dogs, given up by people who lose their house and the apartment doesn't take dogs, oops, we had puppies, I had a baby and can't have a dog now...so many reasons, most of them for nothing that is remotely the dogs fault. Like- I bought a purebred lab puppy for 800 bucks but it ate my deck (and I know squat about labs so this surprised me) and so off to the shelter it goes.

These are not "bad" dogs.

These are dogs with bad PEOPLE.

:iagree: :iagree: I have a shelter dog who is such a love.  I couldn't imagine my life without this guy.  He is FABULOUS with kids.  The worst he will do is smother them with kisses or steal their food (because, of course, if it is within his reach, you must be meaning to share it with him.)   

I volunteer in a shelter and I see the dogs in a very unnatural environment.  Good shelters and rescues do not adopt out dogs with aggression issues.  They do temperament testing before any dog is put up for adoption.  For dogs that have issues, they work with them and work with them to help rehabilitate them.  At our shelter, some dogs who struggle with that environment go out to foster care.  Rarely do these dogs get returned (and that is the agreement - they return the dogs if they can't keep them.) 

I don't believe that's true.  IME a dog's behavior is more strongly influenced by nature than nurture.  IMO the much safer option, and particularly for first-time owners, is to go with an adult rescue from a reputable group that has their animals in foster homes.  That way the guessing about personality/temperament is minimized.  And usually within a couple of weeks of bringing a dog home you pretty much know what you've got (which is why many rescue groups send dogs to homes on a two-week trial basis).  With puppies it takes a year, and more often two or three, to really see how the dog will turn out.

:iagree:

I'll probably get "stoned" for saying this, but I would not go to a rescue.  I know they need homes but I think it's risky, especially when small children are involved.  We've had dogs since before we had children, last year one of the two we had died, so we went back to the same reputable breeder and purchased a third.  I guess the key is that I know what to expect, and I want my life to be enhanced by a dog.  I don't want to worry about the dogs temperament, or possible health problems that could come with having a dog that hasn't been properly cared for.  That's just my 2 cents though.

I know several families who had to give up dogs they got from "reputable breeders" because their children were harmed by the dog.  No dog is perfectly safe around children.  Interactions between dogs and children need to be supervised.  You never know if a previously gentle dog could have a bad day (in pain, sick, whatever) and snap at a child.  A reputable breeder is not a guarantee of a "safe dog." 

A friend of ours with a seeing eye dog recommended getting one that flunked out.  I mean the dogs are really screened, healthy and well-trained but a lot of them aren't able to go on at the end because they can't master traffic safety.  There is a long waiting list for them so if you got on it now it might be an option when you are ready to go ahead and get one.  I am sorry I do not have the link but I am sure you can find it.  There is an application process.  They would be labs and German shepards for the most part.   

I have not read the replies, but what about a non-puppy from a private rescue (not the pound or animal control).  One who has been with a foster family to train them.  Then they come to you house trained, etc and you don't have that stress.  They should also know the personality of the dog and the dog's needs (whether it is okay with kids, cats, off leash, etc).  Maybe a dog around 1-2 years old?  

I'll add when I say "easy" I mean low grooming (understanding all dogs need to be groomed) and not as needy emotionally (understanding all dogs need to be loved).

We have a miniature schnauzer and she is an awesome dog - active, playful, loves to cuddle, very protective of her family.   She's a "big dog in a small dog's body."   Her negatives are that she barks (not a ton, but more than other breeds) and needs to go to the groomer every 6 weeks.   Based on your criteria of low grooming and not needy emotionally, I probably wouldn't recommend a miniature schnauzer for your family.   She follows me around the house all day long and is very attached to me.

I don't have a ton of experience with dogs, but from what I know, "smart" dogs need more to keep their brains occupied, while "dumb" dogs are just happy to be with you.   Even within a breed, there can be a lot of variation - I've met some labs that are very smart, but need a ton of work and exercise or else they become destructive, while other labs are very mellow.   

The best thing we did before we got our dog was to visit people who owned miniature schnauzers, as well as spent some time with several breeders.   We met our dog's parents, aunts, and grandparents, and her personality matches their personality very closely.    We were able to ask a ton of questions and see how the other dogs reacted to our kids.   And because I had a level of confidence in the breed and the particular breeders we were working with, her puppyhood was much easier than I envisioned.

Personally, getting a dog was a very big deal for me.   It was like deciding to have another child.   I didn't have much of a confidence level in choosing well with the shelters and rescues we visited, which is why we went the puppy route.   I have nothing against rescues or adopting older dogs, but for us (me in particular), a puppy was a better choice for this season of our lives.   The next dog we get will likely be a rescue, because I'll have more confidence in what to look for, and experience with dogs in general.

For a first-time dog-owner, Newfoundlands and Newfie mixes are really nice. These dogs are very laid-back. Even though they are larger dogs, they mostly like to lay around. They do very nice imitations of area rugs. We got a Newfie mix when my girls were 3yo, 6yo, and 8yo. It was hilarious to watch the 3yo bossing the Newfie around. If she wagged her finger at the dog, the dog would look absolutely heartbroken and dejected. She was a wonderful dog. We didn't get to have her for long. She was 4yo when we got her and she died just one year later of a brain tumor. I would absolutely consider another one though. Newfies do tend to drool, but ours was a lab/Newfie mix, so we didn't have much of a problem with drooling.

I would also recommend getting a dog that is at least 6 months old. Get past the teething stage and preferably already housebroken. Your best bet is actually to get one that is at least 1yo.

Fostering is a great idea.

We have a German Shepherd and that's definitely NOT a breed I would recommend for a first time dog owner.  They are extremely smart and need to be challenged and exercised regularly.

I agree with some of the other posters that said about the foster type places.  You'll know more of what you're getting vs. the pound.

We have two rescue dogs and I couldn't disagree more. Two weeks after we brought our first one into the house six years ago, I found my youngest dd (6 at the time) with her hand in his mouth retrieving something he shouldn't have eaten. I freaked out but the dog didn't even flinch. He has been the most amazing dog ever. 

We just recently picked up a deaf, senior dog from a local rescue. She is the sweetest dog and must have been deaf for a while because she doesn't even startle. We all fell in love with her so quick and she hasn't given us a single reason to fear her or worry.

I, personally, will never get a dog through a breeder because there are too many unwanted dogs out there who need rescuing.

We are first time dog owners who adopted a puppy this summer. Ours was through a rescue and is somekind of lab-beagle-possibly shepherd mix. (The litter had known beagle and shepherd parents but she looks exactly like a lab. The vet pointed out that the same litters can have different fathers so ours may be lab-beagle without the shepherd. She also has a Shar Pei look to her face that several people have commented on.) 

We ended up going with this particular dog because friends of ours do the fostering for a rescue and our kids had already gotten to know this dog over months.The biggest thing for us over breed was personality and whether or not the dog would be good with kids ,and especially young kids.  She is incredibly laid-back and calm. She lets our 4 year old scream in her face (We don't encourage this behavior but sometimes Z. just gets so excited she yells "I love you Roxy!" while petting her.) She is active but not too active. We knew from our friends that she liked to run and play but that she wasn't like some of the others in the litter who needed to run and run and run. We also knew that our friends had done most of the hard work, she was 90% house-trained when we got her a month ago and is now pretty much 100% there. She was crate-trained already. The only issue we've really had is that she still wakes at night to pee and then gets lonely and wants company. But she's a baby so we can deal with that. 

Our situation was unique, but I would highly recommend going with the foster approach. I know our friends have had a lot of dogs and whenever they meet with a prospective adoptive "parent" they are able to talk to them about personality, activity level, quirks, anxieties, etc. All those things are more important I think than the breed. I think we've had a very easy transition for first-time owners with a puppy (she was an older puppy when we got her, 5 months) and I think the fostering route helps with that. 

We volunteer for our local Humane Society and they are always looking for foster homes for dogs. They provide all the supplies. It would be a good way to try a dog before committing. We own a Humane Society cat and a dumped/stray dog. They are both great. During our three hours a week volunteering, we see loads of wonderful animals who just need a home. They are not "seconds" or defective. They are just waiting for their family. I wish we could take many of them home. My current favorites are a chi puppy mix and an adult chi. Precious dogs. And I don't even normally care for chis!