Menu

"Lazy" words in your family/area

chocolatechip

Do y'all have any words that you/your spouse/children/acquaintances really mispronounce, like a "lazy" word? I don't just mean mumbled, actually changed.

For example, sometimes I catch myself (and I'm sure the rest of the family does it too) saying "pry." But it doesn't mean pry: it means 'probably.' As in, "We should 'pry' make sure the windows are shut before we leave." (That looks so bizarre in print. . .but if I hear it/say it I don't give it a second thought/it makes sense to me.)

The other (less strange) I've recently noticed is "trunna," as in 'trying to' (similar to "gonna"/going to.)

Or maybe I'm just really bizarrely lazy with words?  :D

We play with language all the time but it is on purpose.  If someone said to me "Can mean Joe go to the store with me?" they would be treated to a long drawn out "Oh, poor Joe.  Why do you think he's mean?  etc. etc."  while they rolled their eyes and said "Mom!  You know what I mean!"  and you know they wouldn't keep doing it because of my "misunderstandings".  

But on purpose we say "possumbly" instead of possibly.  And "vegeble" instead of vegetable (it's a Runescape thing).  

Yes!

Gonna, gotta, and yeah are prime offenders. Hubby is British and doesn't have a problem with the big three, and has much better control of his 't's and r's...but has his own strange lazy speech/portmanteau words!

My dd4 is the language police however, and corrects me every time I use gonna, gotta, or yeah😳 Very aggravating yet very effective!

Computer is "Ter", because my DS said it that way when he was 3.

This passed on to a family friend, who apparently passed it on to the department she works for at the state.

I love that. In fact, I think we need to consolidate Hive efforts to Make Ter Happen.

We can do this, people!

Not exactly, but both my oldest and 5th kids pronounce(d) piano as "planno".

Dh's NY comes out when he says "draw" for drawer.

Otherwise the most lazy speech we have usually sounds something like "can you get me that thing over by the thing - no the other thing..."

Most of ours are continued use of childish pronunciations that we found cute. 'puter (computer), sammich, canny (candy.)

This.

We have puter, prolly, canny, sketti (spaghetti), along with gonna, gotta, and shoulda instead of 've.

I'm sure there are more. My whole family can have a conversation using cute-kid speak and quoting stand-up comedians that we like. It would drive an outsider insane, trying to understand us. :)

I can't think of any particular "lazy" words that I use other than typical ones like gonna and using schwa sounds instead of clearly enunciating all the sounds in a word. I sometimes smash words together in a jumble. Sometimes it just takes too much energy to add the spaces in my speech. ;)

Most of ours are continued use of childish pronunciations that we found cute.  'puter (computer), sammich, canny (candy.) 

We have puter, prolly, canny, sketti (spaghetti), along with gonna, gotta, and shoulda instead of 've.

I say "jammies' for pajamas, and "cheesies" for mac-n-cheese. My kids loathe this now, but it's a decade long habit...

Also, for fun (I'm not sure why) I pronounce the "k" in knife when cooking with DH.

And we poke fun at Pottery Barn's perfect $$$ rooms by referring to it as "Snottery Farm."

Most of ours are continued use of childish pronunciations that we found cute.  'puter (computer), sammich, canny (candy.) 

We say sockies and shoe-ies and feets. :-)

I corrected just about everything else, though. :-)

We say the "typical" ones too. We do a lot of silly stuff like saying the K in knife. We have some really odd ones, such as "eagle" for armpit (no good explanation!).

My big corruption that is regional (where I'm from, not where I live) and ingrained rather than intentional is "crick" for "creek." People speak much more standard English where I'm from than where I live (it's all over the board here from perfect speech to "is that actually English?"), but that is one that can really pin down where I'm from in the right company.

My older kiddo has always enjoyed mimicking accents, and he's having fun talking like he's from Duck Dynasty right now. :ohmy: My littler one has trouble with auditory processing, so he tends to pronounce some words the same that are not the same--thin/then/than are all often said with some strange non-vowel he made up. Now that he's reading, he's trying to clean these up on his own.

As you guys mention more, I realize how many words we actually purposely butcher.

Feets, or foots.

Prouncing the K in knife and/or shortening the i. Pass me the kuhniff, please. :)

Jammies.

Changing words - you're velcro, instead of welcome.

I'm sure there are many more.

BUT, this is at home, with the family. We are all perfectly able and willing to use proper English around other humans.

guh-nat (for gnats), and occasionally I do treat knife in the same way.

All bees are bee-friends.

The only thing we are lazy with is " to smug", or "smugging." My hFA son coined the term to verb-form the giving of a smug smile. As in "He's smugging, Mom!"

He is also responsible for calling spiders "moes."

This really isn't a 'lazy' one, but my teens will stay say "Amn't I?" meaning "am I not?" because it makes sense and there is no reason am can't form a contraction, and aren't I is awkward and annoying. 

But jeet? is definitely lazy talk for did you eat? and we will use others like jams for pajamas, but no unusual ones that I can think of offhand. 

I can't remember the exact words from the conversation the other day but it was a question my dd was asking and she used two shortened words like 'totes' & 'adorbs' for totally and adorable.  I replied, "You want to ask that again using real words?"  The kids know this drives me nuts so now they do it on purpose.  :lol:

Well, for a good idea of ours, watch some Jeff Foxworthy videos, lol.

"Jeet yet?" - Did you eat yet?

"Yon't to?" or "Wanna" - Do you want to? 

"Whacha doin?"

"gul" for going to "You gul go with me?" (No idea where that came from, lol)

"dju" for did you

We often joke about how people who don't speak English as a first language, but do know it, would still not understand what we were saying. 

"Whacha doin?"

"dju" for did you

We often joke about how people who don't speak English as a first language, but do know it, would still not understand what we were saying. 

Those are good examples of things we say.

And to the list I would add "doncha" for "Don't you."  As in "Doncha want some more tea?"

I'm sure there are LOTS of others.  But they seem so normal it doesn't even occur to me that they're really not. ;)

When I was growing up, folks in my neck of the woods would say "yins" as in "Are yins going to the store?". I think it's a western PA thing. My dad still says it.

When we lived in Tennessee for a year, people said something similar but more like 'you-uns' or 'yoons.' 

Drove me crazy. Because it wasn't, y'know, the slang I was used to! 

We use the typical shortcuts--gonna, wanna, etc.--along with occasional Hobbit talk--feetses, toeses. Mostly I shorten place names: berry = library, Kroge = Kroger, Wally's = Walmart. Because that extra syllable is just too much, y'know?

My husband says sount instead of sounded and fount instead of found. It drives me bonkers. He used to refer to the steering wheel as the stirring wheel. He has stopped that one, but replaced it with the other two. :cursing:

Lol. Mine says "swolt" for swelled or swollen. He hit his thumb with the hammer and it "swolt up." Drives me crazy too!!

One we do on purpose is "turdable" for terrible. I think one of the kids started it when the were little, lol. 

This happens in other languages too. French "je ne sais pas" often ends up more like "shais pas".

This is what my French teacher said. It sounds weird to me when people enunciate each part.

"Whacha doin?"

"dju" for did you

Lol. You'd fit right in around here!

Thought of more concerning pets - fishyboo and froggyboo, bunny bun bun (or bunny foo foo)

Real names are The Doctor (fish), Merlin (frog), Pipkin and Hazel (rabbits). Sometimes it takes too much effort to come up with their real names. :D

My dd always asks me about pet names--for all those imaginary pets we have. She thinks it's super silly that I would name a pet rabbit Bun Bun.

Thought of more concerning pets - fishyboo and froggyboo, bunny bun bun (or bunny foo foo)

Real names are The Doctor (fish), Merlin (frog), Pipkin and Hazel (rabbits). Sometimes it takes too much effort to come up with their real names. :D

I do that with my kids. Of course the made up names are often longer than their real ones!  

This really isn't a 'lazy' one, but my teens will stay say "Amn't I?" meaning "am I not?" because it makes sense and there is no reason am can't form a contraction, and aren't I is awkward and annoying. 

But jeet? is definitely lazy talk for did you eat? and we will use others like jams for pajamas, but no unusual ones that I can think of offhand. 

One of mine used to say amn't when she was around 3. "I amn't a baby!"