Menu

Morning Sickness Poll

maize

Morning sickness/nausea  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Did you experience pregnancy nausea?

• Yes
    • No

Since this topic is taking over my life at the moment, I thought I would post a poll. Something I read recently said about half of all women experience nausea during pregnancy. Only half? I know I've occasionally talked to a woman who said she never had morning sickness, but my impression overall is that most women experience nausea to one degree or another. So I thought I would poll the Hive. Feel free to elaborate in your comments--were you nauseous only in the morning? All day? Couldn't keep anything down for nine months straight?

First kid - First trimester "evening sickness" (I worked overnights, so it was my morning). None in second/third trimesters.

Second kid - None at all.

Third kid - First trimester "evening sickness", second trimester respiratory illness where I coughed until I puked, third trimester "evening sickness". Postpartum nausea ongoing 11 months later.

Never had morning sickness in the morning until right after #3 was born. I would get waves of nausea with each letdown while nursing, around the clock. It's back to evening-only now. No HG, thankfully.

Two pregnancies, plenty of nausea in both, especially in the first trimester.  It was my first pregnancy symptom with #2!  But I've only vomited once because of nausea, and it never particularly disrupted life.

(Now, something really weird that does disrupt my pregnant life is that I'm a lot more susceptible to choking on food, sometimes to the point of vomiting as I cough it out.)

First was horrible HG during weeks 6-22. Second was slightly better and ended earlier. Third was even better but lasted until around 20 weeks. Fourth was the best--started later and ended earlier and was the least severe. With all of them I threw up just about every morning in the shower.

Ha! 17 votes and all for yes!

While pregnant I can only drink milk products for the most part, even though I'm allergic to milk. My first pregnancy I drank only eggnog and gained almost 30 pounds. Shocking, I know. My second pregnancy I switched to Slimfast and lost 17 pounds. I could usually eat once a day, which meant I took advantage of it with raw fruits and veggies and high quality meats, so my babies were fine.

With my oldest, I had a weird aversion to animal protein. I couldn't keep down any meat/poultry/fish. That lasted throughout the pregnancy. Other than that, I had mild morning sickness from 9-16 weeks.

With my boy, I had nausea from 5 weeks until delivery. My OB refused to give me any medication for it because I managed to avoid needing an IV (that was her threshold).

With my youngest, I had mild morning sickness in the first trimester and then again right before delivery.

I voted no but then I remembered I felt nauseous twice during my first pregnancy for a few minutes due to low blood sugar. There was also the time I had to drink the orange stuff for the glucose test. I felt nauseous then. That's hardly anything compared to others. I don't recall feeling nauseous the other pregnancies.

None. No morning sickness with any of mine. Not even the slightest twinge of nausea.

Same here.  All three were boys if that makes a difference.  There wasn't anything I couldn't eat either.

I did pretend to have a craving or two - just to make hubby feel like he could run out and get something.  I haven't told him yet that it was all pretend, because he likes to share that he got to run out for cinnamon buns once whenever the issue comes up among the guys (generally if one of them has a wife who is pregnant).  ;)

Yes with each pregnancy that was viable, but never severe. I only vomited once or twice in all four pregnancies. Mostly I would just feel a bit green for a few hours.

With my daughter I couldn't keep food down without medication until well into the second trimester. I ended up hospitalized three times. I was continuously on Zofran. She was my third pregnancy. With my fourth pregnancy, a boy, a ended up in the hospital twice. My daughter was in the PICU at Scottish Rite Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. My OB nurse came there and put me on an IV in her room so I didn't have to leave her. Her blood sugar was in the low 20's and it was touch and go. They didn't want me to have to leave. (They never did find the virus in her, but she spent 3 days in the PICU on IVs and miraculously got better. We spent a week in the hospital. My OB's office came and checked on me every day. I had been a patient there for 12 years at that point. They are amazing people.)

I had all-day nausea during the first trimester. I spent most of it in bed and lost 10 lbs. The nausea passed but I had to work to get the calories in as my appetite wasn't too active and I developed a mild aversion to sweets. I forced myself to have one ice cream cone during my pregnancy since 'that's what expectant moms crave' and I wanted to be part of the club :lol:

First and second kid - what I thought at the time was bad nausea mainly during the mornings and afternoons.

Third kid - manageable nausea throughput the day

Fourth through sixth kids - nearly unmanageable nausea 24/7 til each kid was born. I popped Zofran like candy and followed it with Pepto chasers. Could barely function many days and more than one of my patients said I looked worse than they felt. o.O

Felt nauseated all day long for 12 solid weeks for both pregnancies. No puking. I was miserable and depressed. It was unrelenting.

Eating teeny tiny meals all day long would help just the ittiest bit.

I should have been more aggressive in asking the midwife for help. I remember 6 weeks into the second pregnancy and my DH trying to comfort me by saying, "You're halfway done! Only 6 more weeks of nausea." The idea of six weeks of non-stop misery still ahead of me was not a comforting thought.

First and second kid - what I thought at the time was bad nausea mainly during the mornings and afternoons.

Third kid - manageable nausea throughput the day

Fourth through sixth kids - nearly unmanageable nausea 24/7 til each kid was born. I popped Zofran like candy and followed it with Pepto chasers. Could barely function many days and more than one of my patients said I looked worse than they felt. o.O

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Terrible.

All three kids all day sickness. All three kids had to hospitalized for rehydration. I learned to choose foods by how they tasted coming back. 

I was so sick with my twins that I also decided what to eat by what it tasted like when it came back up.  I threw up with both my pregnacies during the entire pregnancy not just in the morning. 

I've had two pregnancies and had horrible morning sickness with both until about six months along. I lost a good amount of weight during both as well.

I hated being pregnant. I really did. I loved getting the baby at the end but I was just miserable most of the time because I felt so sick.

I didn't have morning sickness with either of my pregnancies.  The only time I ever felt nauseated at all was once in my first pregnancy when I walked through the fresh fish section of the supermarket during my first trimester.  After that, I avoided that section of the store and I never had any more nausea.   :001_smile:

The only time I ever felt nauseated at all was once in my first pregnancy when I walked through the fresh fish section of the supermarket during my first trimester.  After that, I avoided that section of the store and I never had any more nausea.   :001_smile:

Uuuuggghhhhh. The memory of my first unwitting walk through the back of the grocery came back so strongly that I feel nauseated reading that.

Even a tiny whiff of the seafood section (or any seafood) made me gag.

Cat

Felt nauseated all day long for 12 solid weeks for both pregnancies. No puking. I was miserable and depressed. It was unrelenting.

I should have been more aggressive in asking the midwife for help. I remember 6 weeks into the second pregnancy and my DH trying to comfort me by saying, "You're halfway done! Only 6 more weeks of nausea." The idea of six weeks of non-stop misery still ahead of me was not a comforting thought.

I want to "like" this because you described my pregnancy nausea exactly and I relate so well. But I just can't being myself to associate any kind of liking with that absolute misery. :grouphug:

Cat

2 pregnancies (at age 30 and 36)

one girl and one boy

no nausea or vomiting at all

Dd is really, really hoping she'll take after me on this!

I was the same way and my younger sister was so hoping that she would be the same, but no such luck.  She had lots of nausea and vomiting.  I also had two quick, easy births, and she had two long, hard labors with one ending in a C-section.  I don't know how I got so lucky.  

Horrible morning sickness (vomiting often, from morning until night) from week 7-14 with all three kids. Smells triggered it, the bitter copper taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away triggered it, and needing to burp triggered it - for those weeks, I could only burp when I was puking.

Some of the most offending smells that triggered it still cause nausea. I love peanut butter. I eat it almost daily. The second the knife that spread peanut butter hits the bottom of the sink, something changes in the smell and it makes me gag.

ETA: I was hospitalized a couple times. I have a pretty severe reaction to Zofran (gives me the jitters really, really badly), another medication I can't recall the name of makes me sleep non-stop, only waking to puke, but sea-sickness patches behind the ear worked wonderfully.

This is where I am now at 9 weeks and have been for the last 4 weeks. The psychological effect it is having on me is the worst. I feel like if I could at least function while dealing with the physical discomfort I'd be ok but it wearing me out so much that all I can do is sit around waiting for it to go away. I told dh last night that I need to be done having kids after this for my own mental health if this is what I have to go through.

I had morning sickness only with my 3rd. First two, nothing; not even a twinge. But the third . . . I was not prepared for how horrible I felt. And I didn't have it as badly as some others I've heard about. No throwing up, but horrible nausea all morning and into early afternoon. It eventually stopped sometime in the second trimester though. I can't imagine having it worse and throwing up for 9 months.

I was sickest with baby #1 and baby #4.  I felt best with baby #2.  With baby #2, I was over the nausea by about 15 weeks or so.  With baby #4, I wore a Relief Band for five months and experienced some degree of nausea every single day until I delivered her.  It did get better as time went on, but it never went completely away.  I kinda hated being pregnant.

ETA:  My nausea was all day.  During the first 16 weeks with baby #1 I recall eating a lot of white foods - rice, bananas, etc.  No green vegetables could be kept down. I gagged on many things.  I ate up to six bananas a day because they slid down my throat.  I gagged on well-chewed bagels and had to give them up.  Ugh.  the memories...

First pregnancy: Constant nausea with little to no vomiting for the first 12 weeks.  2nd trimester I felt a little better but then started vomiting daily for most of the 2nd trimester and part of the 3rd.  

Second Pregnancy: Hyperemesis that hospitalized me 3 times in the first 12 weeks.  Vomiting disappeared pretty much once 2nd trimester hit but that first one was a doozy.  It convinced me that I never wanted to be pregnant again.  DH also said that he couldn't watch me do it again.  Horrible.  Being pregnant was miserable. 

I voted "no".  I'm pregnant with #10, and I've never had morning sickness.  With my 3 girls, I did have some twinges of nausea, but I never thought I would throw up, and it didn't affect my eating or anything else in my life.  With my boys, I never felt anything.  If I didn't have to pee desperately in the middle of the night by the time I was 6 or 7 weeks pregnant, I would never know to test, esp. when I'm still nursing and not regular!

If I were pregnant no way would I do a poll about nausea because I would start vomiting. I remember avoiding walking near the kitchen. I even called a neighbor and asked him to come over and take sliced ham out of the refrigerator and put it on plates with chips once so my two older kids could eat "dinner", because I couldn't face the kitchen without vomiting.

I tried everything not to vomit. There were no patterns. It did not matter what I ate, the amount, the time of day. The only relief was giving birth.