Menu

Dreaming every.single.night

Jennifer132

I feel silly asking this question, but is there anything I can do to stop dreaming so much (or have dreams that don't affect my rest as much)? I have always dreamed. I can still remember alot of my dreams from childhood and I can't remember a single night where I woke up and didn't remember a dream (if not several). I wake up tired and feel like the night needs to be alot longer. I think my constant dreams are part of that. Is there anything I can do?

REM sleep is when we dream.  *everyone* dreams during REM sleep, but most people don't remember them.  if you are waking up tired, and remembering your dreams, it's possible you have a sleep disorder/sleep apnea, or something else that is keeping you from getting into a deeper sleep level.  new medication? supplement?  nutritional deficit? can all wreck havoc with our sleep cycles.

As Kristen said, dreams themselves are part of the REM cycle and are good. Are you waking up naturally or do you wake to an alarm clock? As Kristen said (again!) you're remembering your dreams because you're either being woken up from your REM cycle or very shortly afterward.

I'm waking up to my alarm (no real choice there since I have littles who wake up and need breakfast!). I go to bed at 10:30 ish and get up at 7. I'm a healthy weight, no medical issues other than hypothyroid which is controlled with meds.

I have a friend with a REM sleep disorder. She has too much REM sleep and it makes her very tired.She has been offered a stimulant to cope with the tiredness by day but nothing is apparently available to treat the actual condition. She has read somewhere you can improve these kind of conditions if you go camping for a couple of weeks with no artificial lighting to you reset your sleep cycle. Don't know if it works for this as she's not tried it yet.

Are you trying to remember your dreams?

When I was in college my dreams were so realistic I had trouble distinguishing between dream and reality the next day. It was beginning to interfere with my life. I told myself every night that I shouldn't remember. I did soon stop remembering dreams so much. In my case I was sort of enabling the remembering. That might not be true for you but I thought I would throw out the idea.

My first thought was to suggest a sleep study.  My dh had one and it's been so long ago I don't recall many of the details.  He was diagnosed with narcolepsy (which isn't related to dreaming so don't worry) but his is very mild.  They were able to tell that he wasn't getting enough of a certain type of sleep during the night and he was cycling to fast into the next sleep cycle so he was always tired.  For him they recommended he take 4-5 15-20 minute naps a day.  There is something with that 15-20 minutes that was important.  Sorry no help with any other ways to prevent or minimize dreaming but a sleep study couldn't hurt!

I feel silly asking this question, but is there anything I can do to stop dreaming so much (or have dreams that don't affect my rest as much)? I have always dreamed. I can still remember alot of my dreams from childhood and I can't remember a single night where I woke up and didn't remember a dream (if not several). I wake up tired and feel like the night needs to be alot longer. I think my constant dreams are part of that. Is there anything I can do?

Does this happen only when you're pregnant?

I dream far more when I'm pregnant and almost not at all when I'm not.  And they aren't usually pleasant dreams.  I hate it.

Does this happen only when you're pregnant?

I dream far more when I'm pregnant and almost not at all when I'm not. And they aren't usually pleasant dreams. I hate it.

No. This is ongoing. But it is worse usually when I am pregnant. But this has been the case since childhood. :(