Menu

Competitive shooting?

Alison in KY

Congrads!  That is a path that I would eventually like dd to take, we have some friends that have been competitive shooters, that will likely help her learn in a few years.  Clemson University has a great shooting team and I believe offers decent scholarships.

DH shoots with IDPA. It's a once a month shooting obstacle course. A lot of fun for him and a lot of fun to watch. He is not sure if there is an age limit, but it is worth checking out.

I believe you need to be 12 to shoot idpa. That's what DH shoots, although I'm guessing with your screen name, you're not near us.

My dd shoots competitive shotgun in trap and skeet competitions. She travels regionally to compete, but that is as far as she wishes to take it. However, a couple of the boys in our 4-H shooting sports group do compete on a national level in rifle/air rifle.

Based on what I know from being around their families (one is ranked 3rd nationally for his age group and the other is ranked 4th overall and has done the Jr. Olympics, trained at the Olympics Training Camp in Colorado, etc.), it can be a very costly undertaking in terms of time and money. They travel to matches most weekends. They spend literally thousands of dollars on equipment. It is not unusual for them to travel out of state to work with a certain coach for a few weeks. Some grant funding may be available, but is not a given.

However, the boys love it and both are hoping to qualify for full college sports scholarships on rifle teams. Even as high school freshmen, they had college rifle coaches visiting and courting them.

IMO, it would be similar to having a dc involved in any national level competitive sporting event (skating, swimming, gymnastics, etc.) It may result in Olympic fame, but it will definitely change the nature of your family life and necessitate many significant changes. Not necessarily bad, just something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested to see how you get started in this kind of sport.  What type of organizations are there?  My son is very into the military and is hoping to joing CAP when he is old enough but he is only 11 and we live in VA and have had a hard time finding some type of activity for him to be involved in.  He loves shooting and archery as well and is good but was hoping to find some organization with other kids to enjoy with.  What's out there that is related?  thanks for your ideas!

I am very interested to see how you get started in this kind of sport. What type of organizations are there? My son is very into the military and is hoping to joing CAP when he is old enough but he is only 11 and we live in VA and have had a hard time finding some type of activity for him to be involved in. He loves shooting and archery as well and is good but was hoping to find some organization with other kids to enjoy with. What's out there that is related? thanks for your ideas!

4H has a sharpshooters program, I think.

IDPA.com has a place on their front page where you can find an IDPA club in your area. I would suggest contacting one of the clubs near you and asking if they have kids who shoot with them. If they don't, they might be able to point you in the right direction. I'll ask DH tomorrow (he's sleeping) if he has any other ideas.

Homeschoolmom3, 4H Shooting Sports clubs are very popular here in VA. Our local group offers rifle, shotgun, archery, & more for ages 9 through 19, beginners on up to experts. The kids receive instruction (including safety) & practice time, and they travel to state competitions at regional 4H camps a few times a year. My daughter (and hubby!) enjoyed participating over the years; dh is still involved as a coach. Check the linked page for contact info.