Menu

Help weed out books -Newbery

DS has expressed an interest in reading all the Newbery Medal winners. (We came upon a pamphlet at the library that listed them all.) What books on that list are inappropriate for a very young reader in terms of content? The Giver and Number the Stars deal with some heavy stuff, I already know. Bridge to Terabithia is out I think. Any others?

Maybe it is going to have to be a joint goal where I read the books just ahead of him to okay them.

Julie of the Wolves - There is a scene where the main character is r*ped

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry - Lots of racial epithets & scenes of racial violence that may be too much for a 6-yr-old

Hatchet - In flashback the main character recalls discovering his mother was having an affair (dd10 was upset by this when she read it at age 8)

Splendors & Glooms - I haven't read it, but dd10 was really disturbed by several of the scenes (and she generally likes books in that genre - she loved Doll Bones).

I haven't read as many recent ones but here are some that I really like and don't remember anything that might be a real issue:

The Midwife's Apprentice (1996)

Dear Mr. Henshaw (1984)

Dicey's Song (1983)

The Grey King (1976) (but I would read the whole series here, the book is not a good stand-alone, but the series is awesome)

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1972) (AWESOME BOOK)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (1968) (AWESOME BOOK)

I, Juan de Pareja (1966) (this one does have a scene right at the beginning when he's sold, but I didn't find it problematic)

A Wrinkle in Time (1963)

Rifles for Watie (1958) (really super book)

Miracles on Maple Hill (1957)

The Wheel on the School (1955)

The Door in the Wall (1950)

King of the Wind (1949)

The Twenty-One Balloons (1948)

Strawberry Girl (1946)

Johnny Tremain (1944)

The White Stag (1938) (looove Seredy's books)

Roller Skates (1937)

Caddie Woodlawn (1936) (love this book too)

Smoky, the Cowhorse (1927)

Have you considered including the Newbery Honor books as well as the medal winners? Often if the book that won the award in a particular year isn't appropriate for a young reader, one of the Honor books from that year would be a great substitution. 

The year Bridge to Terabithia won, Ramona and Her Father was an Honor book. When Julie of the Woods won, Frog and Toad Together was an Honor book.

Yeah, I was thinking of subbing honor books in for books with questionable content at this age. I love so many of the Newbery books, but realize there are a lot of heavy emotions in many of them. I think I may have to just read ahead of him and do the challenge myself. Thanks for the thoughts.

DS has expressed an interest in reading all the Newbery Medal winners. (We came upon a pamphlet at the library that listed them all.) What books on that list are inappropriate for a very young reader in terms of content? The Giver and Number the Stars deal with some heavy stuff, I already know. Bridge to Terabithia is out I think. Any others?

Maybe it is going to have to be a joint goal where I read the books just ahead of him to okay them.

OOO  I want to do it with you!  :)

I've always wanted to go through them all... I'm years away from my kids reading them.  :)

You could probably just look at 3-5 at a time and search online for recommendations or problems... or start with the ones you know are alright... and give yourself time to look at the ones you're not sure of.  

Kira Kira was an amazing book. There are descriptions of poultry factory which may bother some kids. There was also some talk of making a baby. 

We were fine with it though.  Great historical fiction about Japanese family's life in the US.