Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 7/6 - 7/12

Negin

So I broke down and joined a gym.

How goes it?

Wow! I'd be non-active in those conditions. How do you stay cool enough to move?

I don't.  I actually cry like a baby, literally.

If they're not comfortable I'll return them and check into real minimal shoes.

Look for shoes that say zero heel differential or zero drop.   I like Merrell vapor glove but there are so many different brands.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my yoga practice - and weeded for 90 minutes.  I'm dripping - and looking forward to a shower. :tongue_smilie:

ds hauled off my weeds from yesterday (plus the full wheelbarrow), now I have a nice overfull wheelbarrow (dudeling wanted to put more in), and more waiting to be added and hauled away.   :D

Wow.  That's awesome. 

I keep hoping that I'll have the discipline to do strength training after my short runs, but I never manage to make myself.  One of these days, I guess.

5 mile run this morning, followed by 3 sets of single leg deadlifts and push-ups, then this afternoon I did kettlebell swings and pull-up (100 swings with my 44# and 30 pull-ups).  

Tammy, it's just like running, you just have to do it. :) But really, I've been doing kettlebell for years, on and off with running.  I'm finally at the point where I know what I want out of the strength training with kettlebell and I can do just that. I created my own workouts, which are usually only 10 minutes long.  I prefer to do them after a run, but they can also be done later in the day.  Short and sweet makes it easy to get done.  

I think the hardest part is getting started.  There's so much info and stuff out there.  I think if you mostly run, pick one exercise to start doing, like push-ups.  Try to do push-ups 3x's a week.  Once you have that down you can add more.  

Yeah, I don't run much at all. I run maybe once every few weeks. If that. I'm a crosstrain type of gal. Kickboxing, yoga, pilates, pylo, ballet, weights, and just dabbling in kettlebell. Not to be confused with Tinkerbell which I also do.

The author of the book was talking about how your feet should be flat when doing squats and such.

Gosh, my internet connection went off for a moment and ate what I was posting.   :cursing:

Negin, I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep.   I hate those kind of days.

Ninja, I was just saying something along the lines of working in ATG squats for time in your daily program.   At the beginning it's less about time, and more about figuring out where the weaknesses are.   I currently do 10m a day as part of my stretch routine, but in the beginning...lol....I had to use a strap *and* hold on to something.    There are bunches of vids on squat routines, I would start by looking at the Kelly Starrett ones (he has several and talks about the different faults etc) and also Ido Portal.

Yawn.  Time for the grind.

Skill work, MA, stretch and roll.

Negin and redsquirrel- hope you feel better soon :(

I was looking at the crosstrainers yesterday as well, there are just too many choices.

We did our big kayak trip last night (well our biggest so far) it was not quite 3.5 hrs. We floated a fair amount but also paddled a fair amount as well I could tell my shoulders were really feeling it at the end. My form was much better but it got sloppier as my muscles gave out. Dh and I had a blast, most of the trip we were the only ones on the river so it was very peaceful, a very nice date. We also had plenty of fun and did some racing. To his surprise I was able to keep up with him until the end when I was too tired.

Today I believe will just be MuTu and a walk.

Ok, what's Tinkerbell?

This, BTW, reminds me of a funny (in hindsight) story of when my mother took my sister's kids to Disney.  There was a laser light show one night, along with various characters being around, and Tinkerbell flying around on a highwire.  My neice, who I guess was about 5 at the time, was watching Tinkerbell.  As Tinkerbell flew off behind the castle she intersected with a laser beam and then disappeared behind the castle.

My poor niece started screaming her head off.  "They shot Tinkerbell!  They killed her!"

Luckily, she wasn't scarred for life.

get my a$$ kicked by Tinkerbell

I've never heard of someone running in Reeboks.  My concern wouldn't be the drop (I think it's fine, especially if you're accustomed to a higher drop), if I had any concern at all it would be that they are going to wear out faster.  But maybe not.  Try it. Worst case scenario is you'll replace them sooner.  Do keep track of the mileage on them.  It will give you an idea of how often you'll need new shoes.  And if you can, let them rest a day between runs.  The foam takes a good 24 hours to bounce back and be absorbent.  They'll last longer this way.

So I like the Reeboks. I checked and they have a 4mm drop. Is that too much?

I was looking at these but they also have a 4mm drop.

The Reeboks I bought are for crosstraining. I have Brooks PureGrit which also have a 4mm drop for running. From what I've been noticing is that most shoe companies stop at 4mm drop as the lowest. I've only found a few so far (in my short search) that have a 0 drop and that are Merrel Crush, Innova Barefoot, New Balance Zero. 

This morning I decided I needed to do yin yoga. So hard for me!

Check out Hoka One. Ultimate zero drop shoe.

The Reeboks I bought are for crosstraining. I have Brooks PureGrit which also have a 4mm drop for running. From what I've been noticing is that most shoe companies stop at 4mm drop as the lowest. I've only found a few so far (in my short search) that have a 0 drop and that are Merrel Crush, Innova Barefoot, New Balance Zero. 

This morning I decided I needed to do yin yoga. So hard for me!

Ok, what's Tinkerbell?

This, BTW, reminds me of a funny (in hindsight) story of when my mother took my sister's kids to Disney.  There was a laser light show one night, along with various characters being around, and Tinkerbell flying around on a highwire.  My neice, who I guess was about 5 at the time, was watching Tinkerbell.  As Tinkerbell flew off behind the castle she intersected with a laser beam and then disappeared behind the castle.

My poor niece started screaming her head off.  "They shot Tinkerbell!  They killed her!"

:lol:  :smilielol5:

When my oldest was 4 we had went to WDW, and the first night we stuck around for the fireworks.  As soon as they started my dd started screaming.  She screamed like she was been attacked.  My dh's brother scooped her up and ran, full out, to the back of the park.  She just kept screaming, with her hands over her ears.  He got her as far away from it as possible then just held her as she sobbed and yelled until it was done.  It still makes me laugh when I picture him grabbing her and running.  If anyone had been watching they might have thought he was kidnapping her.  I had never seen him run so fast, and the whole time she was screaming in his ear.  

Overall, that trip was fun, but there's a part of me that thinks WDW is torture for young children.  (She also could not handle a single ride that got dark or had thunder and lightning in them, which is almost all of them). 

TA = Tinkerbell :smilielol5:

Her plank work is hard. Still wondering if I should get her dvd, but you told me not to because I've done Meta. I might do meta again.

I think you prob don't need it because how much more TA does one need with Meta, especially if you have conquered it.  But it is broken into 4 convenient 15 min sections. So, if you are an add on type of person you could only do a 15 min TA arm workout, which is more than in a Meta. I like that part of it. I was doing Ballet Beautiful, which I love and hate, but I totally hate her ab section and think it is a waste of time. I like that I can pop in Precision Toning and have a 15 min ab workout. So, if you would like that, and the price is right then maybe you should get it. When I got it, it was less than 10$ and I think I got a very good value, especially with Prime. I have considered getting Teen Meta. I might be able to handle that, lol

I own Meta but I found it fast and a bit too difficult and boring. All. Those. Leg. Lifts.

Ok, what's Tinkerbell?

Tinkerbell is what I have always called Tracy Anderson in my head. And I never, ever, ever thought I would be doing much TA, but here I am doing it.  I started because she has a lot of unweighted arms and uses light weights. I had a shoulder problem from doing Insanity. I could do TA upper body work. 

I did 60 min TA Precision Toning. It was easier today than on Monday, but still hard. I hope to get in the same tomorrow. I am boring.

No, the Hoka's aren't minimalist.  Sorry, I didn't get that you were looking for minimalist. 

Minimalist and Zero drop aren't necessarily the same thing.   Zero drop means that your foot is flat inside, rather than the sole dropping from higher to lower, from the front to the back.  Minimalist shoes are basically a thing to protect your skin from the ground. Hokas are still cushioned (apparently adored by ultra runners) and are also zero drop.

I looked these up but they look like the exact opposite of a minimalist shoe, what am I missing?

No, the Hoka's aren't minimalist.  Sorry, I didn't get that you were looking for minimalist. 

Minimalist and Zero drop aren't necessarily the same thing.   Zero drop means that your foot is flat inside, rather than the sole dropping from higher to lower, from the front to the back.  Minimalist shoes are basically a thing to protect your skin from the ground. Hokas are still cushioned (apparently adored by ultra runners) and are also zero drop.

Both are great if your hips rotate wonky.  The difference is zero drop has cushion and will keep your feet from hurting.  I love minimalist shoes, but if I wear them for a long period of time my feet hurt.  Then I have to choose my pain - hips or feet?  With a zero drop or neutral shoe you get neutrality since they do not assume a particular gait, but without the pain in your feet.  A standard off the rack shoe is built for whatever the "normal" hip rotation is, so unless you are absolutely normal, it will fight your natural compensation for things that are structurally askew with your build.  My body can compensate for my crazy hips unless I stick my feet in a shoe that works against me.   

Crazy busy so let's see Mon-yoga class, Tuesday-kettle bell and bike ride, Wed-push mowed the yard and swam. I'm sure it was ugly but I persevered. Thu-had to take 18 yr old to get signed up for classes. It was an all day affair so I managed a short 2 mile walk last night. I'm about to FINALLY get to go for a run.

Tammy, it's just like running, you just have to do it. :) But really, I've been doing kettlebell for years, on and off with running. I'm finally at the point where I know what I want out of the strength training with kettlebell and I can do just that. I created my own workouts, which are usually only 10 minutes long. I prefer to do them after a run, but they can also be done later in the day. Short and sweet makes it easy to get done.

I think the hardest part is getting started. There's so much info and stuff out there. I think if you mostly run, pick one exercise to start doing, like push-ups. Try to do push-ups 3x's a week. Once you have that down you can add more.

I agree. I started by throwing in push ups after a run. I worked up and added some reverse pull ups and finally a few regular ones. (I use my kids' swing set :) )Then I worked out with milk jugs until I could afford a kettle bell. I'm actually more likely to do that if I'm already sweaty.

I did get in a walk yesterday but not my exercises. I planned to do it before bed but the baby had other plans and my sleep was more important. I've done at least 2 sets the other days and will be doing it here in a few minutes. It works better to do it in the am but my sleep and the baby don't always cooperate. Hopefully life settles into a better routine. Mutu and a walk again today, probably not anything else. I've been busy working on the house this week and still plenty more to do. I should be getting t25 this weekend, still not sure how much of this I should do, can do or want to do, it is primarily for dh. I don't want to be lazy but then again I don't want to do too much for my body. My plan is to do all the exercises that my body can do(skipping the core stuff) but perhaps just starting with 10 min, we'll see.

MuTu users....are there a lot of "lay on your stomach" exercises in this program?  I'm thinking of getting it (I need to d something to strengthen my core) but I have a large fibroid and laying on my stomach (especially laying on my stomach and lifting my legs, ala "supermans") is very uncomfortable. 

For anyone:  recommendations for good core routines that don't take a ton of time?  I have an "after baby" pilates video, and it probably works, but it takes 1/2hr a day and it is so painfully slow that I simply cannot stay awake going through it (seriously, laying on the floor in a room without my kids, moving slowly for 1/2 hr, to a quite video = snooze).

But NOT a lot on your stomach?  That's my concern.  On my back is no problem.

Sorry I misread what you wrote, I wondered why you were talking about super mans. From what I've viewed so far there are none on your stomach but I haven't watched all the videos. I would email Wendy and ask her, she seems very friendly and happy to help.

Do you want to hear something funny?  I was at the gym one day, lifting weights.  I was going to end with a run on the treadmill.  I was feeling down about the loss of our dog and it was beautiful outside.  I thought I might hop over to animal control and volunteer to walk a dog instead.  I told the lady, "sorry I'm such a mess, I was at the gym and decided to walk a dog rather than hit the treadmill".  She didn't miss a beat.  She looked up at me and said, "ma'am, I know nothing about this "gym" you speak of, but my friends brag about it on FB all the time.  They say things like 'sweating it out @ the gym'.  I've decided that I will name my toilet Gym so I can update FB and seem really cool every time I go to the pot."  Bless, she was so funny.

MuTu users....are there a lot of "lay on your stomach" exercises in this program?  I'm thinking of getting it (I need to d something to strengthen my core) but I have a large fibroid and laying on my stomach (especially laying on my stomach and lifting my legs, ala "supermans") is very uncomfortable. 

For anyone:  recommendations for good core routines that don't take a ton of time? 

My favorite is this one - 30 minutes total and very effective. I usually do 15 minutes one day and 15 minutes another. The reviews are good and the price is very good. It was recommended to me by someone here (Hoggirl). Love it. Here's a video sample

I've never joined this thread before, but today is my lifting day.  I usually don't go until afternoon.  

Welcome! :D

Welcome Charleigh!

Do you want to hear something funny?  I was at the gym one day, lifting weights.  I was going to end with a run on the treadmill.  I was feeling down about the loss of our dog and it was beautiful outside.  I thought I might hop over to animal control and volunteer to walk a dog instead.  I told the lady, "sorry I'm such a mess, I was at the gym and decided to walk a dog rather than hit the treadmill".  She didn't miss a beat.  She looked up at me and said, "ma'am, I know nothing about this "gym" you speak of, but my friends brag about it on FB all the time.  They say things like 'sweating it out @ the gym'.  I've decided that I will name my toilet Gym so I can update FB and seem really cool every time I go to the pot."  Bless, she was so funny.

LOL!

ok, so I did 60 mins of TA and I am sort of proud of myself. It was a hectic afternoon, the kind where I could have easily blown off exercise and no one would blame me, but I just did it. I often don't get in a workout on weekends, but I will really try for one in the next two days.

This is my third TA workout this week and my 4th workout this week. Today I didn't feel all weak and shaky when I was done with TA. I think it is weird I feel that way when I am done with her stuff.

For anyone:  recommendations for good core routines that don't take a ton of time?  I have an "after baby" pilates video, and it probably works, but it takes 1/2hr a day and it is so painfully slow that I simply cannot stay awake going through it (seriously, laying on the floor in a room without my kids, moving slowly for 1/2 hr, to a quite video = snooze).

Check out the Fitness Blender routines free on youtube.   They have dozens of various core workouts that are not boring, some are standing routines, some sitting.  

Yesterday p.m.  stationary cycling without the boot.  Shoulder presses and pull-ups.  Dangling leg lifts and twists and anything I could think of to do while hanging in various hand holds with boot- the thing weighs a ton so I count it as extra credit. 

Today- physical therapy.  ice.  

Tonight a fitness blender- the core workout all from the ground and then a 2 mile walk with dh.  I type it now knowing I need the pressure to make myself not be a liar.

I'm going to check into this, thanks.

I can do pretty much anything, it's just that laying directly on my stomach on a hard surface is very uncomfortable.  Stupid fibroid feels like a cantaloupe. :glare:

Check out the Fitness Blender routines free on youtube.   They have dozens of various core workouts that are not boring, some are standing routines, some sitting.  

Yesterday p.m.  stationary cycling without the boot.  Shoulder presses and pull-ups.  Dangling leg lifts and twists and anything I could think of to do while hanging in various hand holds with boot- the thing weighs a ton so I count it as extra credit. 

Today- physical therapy.  ice.  

Tonight a fitness blender- the core workout all from the ground and then a 2 mile walk with dh.  I type it now knowing I need the pressure to make myself not be a liar.

Just to second fitness blender.  I have done their interval training and worn my HRM and burned some serious calories.  The HIIT workouts are kicka$$ though.  Jumping into plank, constant burpees, that kind of stuff. I about die when I do them.

I hit a plateau with barbell rows today.  I am a little frustrated.  I guess I'll give it a go next week.  My gym doesn't have 1 pound bumper plates.  I wonder if I should invest in some to take with me?  When I get to heavier lifts, adding 5 pounds when I'm already so close to hitting my max isn't working....I'm such a girl.  lol

If you add 5lbs can you do ANY reps?  If you can, maybe add it, do the 1 or 2 reps you can, then drop them and work to fatigue?

I hit a plateau with barbell rows today.  I am a little frustrated.  I guess I'll give it a go next week.  My gym doesn't have 1 pound bumper plates.  I wonder if I should invest in some to take with me?  When I get to heavier lifts, adding 5 pounds when I'm already so close to hitting my max isn't working....I'm such a girl.  lol

If you add 5lbs can you do ANY reps?  If you can, maybe add it, do the 1 or 2 reps you can, then drop them and work to fatigue?

That is what I am doing.  I am hopeful that I will build up to the right amount of reps this way.  In theory, I should...right?  SL just told me (via the app) to try the same weight next time.  I guess they'll just keep telling me that until I hit 5x5.

I'm going to check into this, thanks.

I can do pretty much anything, it's just that laying directly on my stomach on a hard surface is very uncomfortable.  Stupid fibroid feels like a cantaloupe. :glare:

Can you get on your stomach on a physioball? You can deflate the ball so it's a bit squishier with some give. You'd be able to do modified version of superman (keeping your toes on the ground or wall) or do cobra and such. Just a thought. Sorry you have a fibroid.