Exercise Thread ~ 7/6 - 7/12

Negin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all! 

Congrats to Lisa on her 5k!!

I've got the MuTu system now getting ready to start videos. I'm finally getting somewhat normal sleep so I'm planning and hoping I bring up the intensity level of what I'm doing a bit. I want to officially start back with my Bada** Bodyweight Program (I've just been doing the exercises on my own schedule as of late) and am adding in the MuTu stuff, will continue to do various things with the family whenever we can, usually 2-3 x a week we either bike, hike or boat. The only thing else I'd like to add is sprinting but I'm a bit nervous from when I pulled a muscle a few months ago so I'll be going slow with this. I'm hoping to get started today but I have to watch the intros and reread my BA workout schedule so it might not be until tomorrow. No family activity today we are painting during the day and have a party this afternoon/evening, we did at least get a walk last night.

So I broke down and joined a gym. I have been planning to do it since January but I just kept putting it off. I chose Planet Fitness' 20.00 a month plan. That way, they allow you to bring one guest each time and I can take my teenage dd. We will both get to work out. 

Mostly I will use a treadmill or elliptical and maybe their circuit training area. I would like to venture in to free weights eventually too.

At home, I think I will stick with WInsor Pilates. (maybe)

Well, I've watched the intro, science and food videos for the MuTu system as well as the first core video. I'm really, really impressed so far, even with the food info which I was expecting to totally disregard as I'm already on a strict auto-immune paleo diet. The first 2 weeks she starts you off light with the goal of finding and strengthening the core. I feel some hope here that I'll actually strengthen my tummy, which I thought was impossible. The Tupler exercises closed my gap but I'm still so weak some of the full body work I'm doing has got me some strength but I'm still a far cry from firm, anyway I'm impressed so far. I'm getting ready to do my exercises which will be less than 10 min for the first bit there is just core exercises and then you add in the more intensive exercises.

I did my favorite fall back Denise Austen Female Fat Zones because I needed something gentle today. My neck is really stiff from I don't know what. Just woke up and couldn't turn it. 

I'm also really kicking myself for NOT having gone the doctor the first day I injured my knee. I'm pretty sure she would have taken pics and then I'd have known exactly what I did to it. Sigh. Why did I not go right away? Ugh. Stupid.

Will soon be doing Kundalini Yoga again. Not sure how long I'll do this rotation for. This is the first time I've ever done a rotation. I haven't noticed any major improvements. I'm sad and obese. I can't focus on eating less at this very stressful point in my life. I want to be healthy again. I struggle with emotional eating. Anyway, sorry to burden everyone here. Back to the yoga ... I'm enjoying it while I do it. I might stick with it for a few more weeks . One thing I do love about Kundalini is that there are no sun salutations! I cannot stand them. There was a thread on the Video Fitness forums recently about the whole topic of hating sun salutations  :lol:. 

I did my favorite fall back Denise Austen Female Fat Zones because I needed something gentle today. My neck is really stiff from I don't know what. Just woke up and couldn't turn it. 

I'm also really kicking myself for NOT having gone the doctor the first day I injured my knee. I'm pretty sure she would have taken pics and then I'd have known exactly what I did to it. Sigh. Why did I not go right away? Ugh. Stupid.

Sorry about your neck and your knee. 

That Denise Austin DVD is also one of my favorites. 

Negin- I'm sorry you're feeling down :( Do what you can to feel good, inside and out and forget the rest. 

KH- I hope your able to go to the Dr soon and figure out what is going wrong with your knee.

I started my MuTu Mamas yesterday and that was all I did, other than housework. Today I plan a short walk, MuTu Workout. I might do pullups again but my sleep wasn't the best so I might wait until tomorrow as I want ot push it on my strength training.

Negin-I'm so sorry you are having so much stress. Please don't be sorry for mentioning it. We should be able to talk about our trials as well as our successes. (((hugs)))

Negin- I'm sorry you're feeling down :( Do what you can to feel good, inside and out and forget the rest. 

I started my MuTu Mamas yesterday and that was all I did, other than housework. Today I plan a short walk, MuTu Workout. I might do pullups again but my sleep wasn't the best so I might wait until tomorrow as I want ot push it on my strength training.

Thank you both so much. Your kindness and understanding brings tears to my eyes :). 

Soror, I hope that you sleep better tonight. 

Negin, just focus on what you can do and don't worry about what has to wait. I am glad you are doing yoga and you found a yoga you like (I am sick of sun salutations also, lol) You need that serotonin level up. It will make a difference in how you feel. Some regular exercise will also help your body manage cortisol.

Good luck with a rotation. I have never been able to manage that. I long to be the type of person who says she did TA Meta or Ballet Body Periodization  etc but I just can't commit.

Today I drop my 9 year old off at his 2 hour theater camp and then I will zoom home and do a 60 min TA workout and then zoom back to get him. I am doing my "Precision Toning" dvd.  I haven't worked out in weeks (3? 4?) due to a sore muscle in my hip. It has been getting better, but slowly and it often feels like 2 steps forward and 1 back. But I am going CRAZY without any exercise.

My goal this week is to work out 5 times. Tomorrow and Wednesday are a little tricky due to having to take older boy to appts, but I think I can manage it. I am putting this here to show my intention. I might have to just do a bunch of walking tomorrow and call it good.

I really, really hope this stupid muscle lets me work out. I am climbing the walls here.

Redsquirrel- I understand your feeling as I keep recovering and then having set backs I'm so ready to just move forward and to keep active. 

Just finished walk with the kids, we walked about an hour with some breaks here and there. I did my MuTu workout this am, I think I'm going to try and do that before everyone wakes up, it doesn't take long and it is kind of relaxing in a way. Not sure what if anything else I'm doing today.

ok, I did 60 mins TA!  Yay me.  I expected to have some bad muscle pain while I was working out but I did not have any. I picked TA on purpose because I figured it would be a good sore muscle detector for my hip.  Well, I apparently do have good range of motion etc. I will be taking some motrin just to head off any pain though.

And can I just say that Precision Toning is a hard workout. I always under estimate TA, lol. I always think, how hard could Tinkerbell really be? But I was dripping with sweat. And I HATE that plank sequence at the end of the ab section. I cannot, cannot, cannot do fancy planks. I cannot even to full regular planks. For most of it I end up in a super modified plank (knees and elbows) just holding the plank while she does all kinds of acrobatics. Maybe I alternated lifting a knee up for one of them. I am pathetic. 

Just got back from Colorado- first family vacation in 11 years and I had to wear a boot the whole time because of the stupid injury I did to my calf the week before I left.  I did manage to hike 2- 5 miles a day (Partially on crutches) while I was there. But it was worth it for the view and the air, and the sky... sigh- I love Colorado.  Of course  the hiking was offset by all the amazing food my sister prepared.  All my clothes are now officially too tight.  Ugh.

Negin- Redsquirrel had great advice.  Do what you can and count it as success.  There is no "arrival" in fitness.  It's all a process- with many setbacks.  

You know, one of the things that has helped me tremendously is to think not about eating less, but about eating MORE of the good stuff (however you define that for you).  Sure, there is a caloric reality to weight loss, but there is also a FEEDING reality to it, and the fact is that most obese people do not feed themselves decently.  This leads to nutrient deficiencies and, I believe, more hunger and cravings.

I'm not saying that it's a total cure or anything like that.  But I find that I feel physically better when I get more nutrient dense food and mentally better for taking care of myself decently, both of which I believe means at least somewhat less poor eating, as a natural consequence, rather than as something I have to make myself do.

If you need inspiration, tons of people find a power smoothie to be a great way to get tons of nutrients in an easy to eat/make fashion.  There are zillions of ways to make them, so for sure you can find something that suits you.

I'm sad and obese. I can't focus on eating less at this very stressful point in my life. I want to be healthy again. I struggle with emotional eating.

I played tennis on Sunday for about 4 hours in a tournament. It was mixed doubles, and my partner and I had a wonderful set of matches! Great fun. Saturday it was ladies doubles also for 4 hours. Awesome weather and great people to play with.

Today I was going to relax and let my body recover, but for some reason I had this overwhelming burst of energy and began deep cleaning carpets, bathrooms, laundry room, bedrooms and halls. It was really bizarre, but oh so productive!

Dh and I played about an hour of double tennis tonight because we just can't stay away from the courts. Now it's time for some chocolate, wine and a good British detective show - perhaps Inspector George Gently (I love this show!).

WO done. 

Well wishes to everyone who has an injury or is otherwise struggling.

Right now it's 90F and humid *inside* my home.   I think I am melting.

Wow! I'd be non-active in those conditions. How do you stay cool enough to move?

Negin, just focus on what you can do and don't worry about what has to wait. I am glad you are doing yoga and you found a yoga you like (I am sick of sun salutations also, lol) You need that serotonin level up. It will make a difference in how you feel. Some regular exercise will also help your body manage cortisol.

Good luck with a rotation. I have never been able to manage that. I long to be the type of person who says she did TA Meta or Ballet Body 

Redsquirrel, thank you so much  :grouphug: . Your helpful advice meant a lot to me, as always. 

Yes, the thread on hating sun salutations on the Video Fitness forums was funny. Most of us were saying how we will never do them again or just do downward dog/whatever during that part of any DVD that has them. 

Yes, I don't think I'm much into rotations either. 

I HATE that plank sequence at the end of the ab section. I cannot, cannot, cannot do fancy planks. I cannot even to full regular planks. For most of it I end up in a super modified plank (knees and elbows) just holding the plank while she does all kinds of acrobatics. Maybe I alternated lifting a knee up for one of them. I am pathetic. 

I'm fine with regular planks, not fancy ones, just regular ones. But I really hate push ups. Yes, I really do hate those fancy plank moves. 

Negin- Redsquirrel had great advice.  Do what you can and count it as success.  There is no "arrival" in fitness.  It's all a process- with many setbacks.  

:grouphug: Thank you. 

You know, one of the things that has helped me tremendously is to think not about eating less, but about eating MORE of the good stuff (however you define that for you). 

If you need inspiration, tons of people find a power smoothie to be a great way to get tons of nutrients in an easy to eat/make fashion.  There are zillions of ways to make them, so for sure you can find something that suits you.

Tammy, thank you. I'm at the point/age (46) in my life, where even that approach doesn't always help. I should eat more veggies. I've been a bit neglectful lately. Thanks for the reminder. Power smoothies, actually, most smoothies, cause me to gain. I'm usually healthy and eat healthy, but I'm also usually overweight. 

No Kundalini Yoga today - just lots and lots of stretches and things that make me feel good (taking advice from here :grouphug: ). The former does make me feel wonderful. I just needed a break and am taking the time to re-evaluate my workout plan in my usual OCD manner :lol:. 

Just wondering, how is kundalini different from Ashtanga (I did that years ago)?  Also, what is a rotation?

No Kundalini Yoga today - just lots and lots of stretches and things that make me feel good (taking advice from here :grouphug: ). The former does make me feel wonderful. I just needed a break and am taking the time to re-evaluate my workout plan in my usual OCD manner :lol:. 

Negin, perhaps it's time for some lovely Denise Austen. :)

This morning was all low impact. Abs, cardio, low impact HIIT, and lovely stretches. Then I spent a few minutes rolling with my foam roller.

I just finished a book about healing and strengthening knees and he talks a lot of rolling and stretching along with strength moves. I think I need to make it a point to make rolling part of my routine. I need to buy some tennis balls.....my dog made off with the ones I had. He also talked a little about shoes and discussed how shoes with an elevated heel are bad for knees. He recommends workout shoes that are flat/minimal or barefoot. I just bought 2 pair of shoes to try out.

I may read his other book called Total Knee Health

30 minutes of Pilates video (then my computer crashed, so I took that as a sign :laugh:  that I was supposed to be done).

I may have to go take a pilates class somewhere.  I keep reading how pilates is supposed to be great for your core, but I just feel nothing when I get done (and I know it's not because my core is so strong) except that I wasted an hour.  I think there must be some amount of instruction in the video that I have that I'm just not getting.

Just wondering, how is kundalini different from Ashtanga (I did that years ago)?  Also, what is a rotation?

Kundalini is very different from Ashtanga or vinyassa flow.  You can have a warm up (which can incorporate sun salutes) but then you do a "kriya" which is a series of exercises done in repetion or long holds.  There is usually breath of fire involved (a breathing technique) and Kundalini has more chanting than Ashtanga.  

It's hard to explain the differences well.  You would need to take a class (or view one online) to see how it's different.  

Negin.  :grouphug: Stress stinks. Don't worry about weight or setbacks. Focus on your overall health.  Keep up the yoga!  It's good for helping get your mind steady. :)

I ran 7 miles on Sunday. Sunday night I was able to do some Yin yoga.  Today (Tuesday) I ran 5 miles, then did some kettlebell.  I did 3x5 goblet squats, clean and presses, 1 arm rows, 20 swings, 45 sec planks. 

yoga practice.  I plan on doing more weeding this evening as it's in the 80's today.  ds is *supposed* to dump my wheelbarrow for me.  I may take his mouse until he does . . . .  :glare:   I have some piles out there there will more than fill it up. again.  of course, I did tell him if he doens't dump when asked, he'll get to fill it up again from my piles.

Skillwork, MA, stretch and roll.

I think I need to make it a point to make rolling part of my routine.

Yes you do.   If  I have to suffer, so do all ya'll.

He also talked a little about shoes and discussed how shoes with an elevated heel are bad for knees.

Essentially, most shoes are high heels including most trainer shoes people wear.   Not good.   Minimalist shoes all the way baby.

Did kettle bell this morning while it was pouring. This evening it was nicer so did a 12 mile bike ride. I keep hearing about massage and foam rollers and such but what exactly do they do if you aren't tight? The folks at the Y keep offering them but They look like rolling pins and I am not pie crust.

Foam rollers can help with tightness, but that isn't their primary function.  Their primary function is to work out knots and myofacial (probably spelling that wrong) release.  Basically, it's self deep(ish) tissue massage.  Got a sore spot that you wish you could have someone work over?  Foam roller to the rescue.  Look up some Youtube videos. 

Did kettle bell this morning while it was pouring. This evening it was nicer so did a 12 mile bike ride. I keep hearing about massage and foam rollers and such but what exactly do they do if you aren't tight? The folks at the Y keep offering them but They look like rolling pins and I am not pie crust.

About to do 3 Miles of Leslie and am looking forward to it. It's been a while.

Tammy, I've never tried Ashtanga. I've heard that it's like the P90X of yoga. That's all I know. I'm very new to Kundalini. Kim described it very well. 

Negin, perhaps it's time for some lovely Denise Austen. :)

Yes :D. Very soon. 

Stress stinks. Don't worry about weight or setbacks. Focus on your overall health.  Keep up the yoga!  It's good for helping get your mind steady. 

Kim, thank you so much for your kind encouragement. You're always so sweet.  :grouphug:

I've never used a foam roller but I have noticed that doing some yoga really helps with how my body feels. I like that my MuTu workout has stretches as I can get lazy remembering to do them.

Yesterday was crazy busy. I only got in my MuTu workout, today should hopefully be much more calm!!! I've already done my MuTu workout, planning to walk later but not sure when as ds has day camp today so the morning will be busier than usual. Dh and I are kayaking this evening, should be a few hours or so. Feeling kind of nervous about it!

I have to pause on my pull-up work for now it is not recommended while I'm on this phase of MuTu. On the plus side I swear I'm already feeling an increase in my core strength, so I'm going to back up a bit and just do this until I get stronger and then I should be able to start in with more and better than ever. I looked at my bodyweight workout but there is just too much that I have to cut out due to the core work to be able to really do it now. However, in thinking more this is probably what my healing body needs right now. So, plan 2- do MuTu workouts daily and enjoy hiking, biking and kayaking a few times a week with the family. Walking is supposed to be every day so I'm hoping to get that in the schedule at a consistent time. I've been doing some squats and lunges with dh as well and if I'm awake when he's doing them, other wise I think I'll aim for 1-2 x a week- my MuTu workout does have some squats though and it is every day. 

. He recommends workout shoes that are flat/minimal or barefoot. I just bought 2 pair of shoes to try out.

I may read his other book called Total Knee Health

What shoes did you buy? I have some Vibrams but I've had them awhile and am ready to replace them. I bought some Keens to wear while hiking and kaying and they are not minimalist but I find my Vibrams are crazy uncomfortable when walking on a trail or gravel as I can feel every knot and root. I've always liked flat shoes though, even in every day life I wear very minimally soled shoes, it just feels right to me.

Foam rollers can help with tightness, but that isn't their primary function.  Their primary function is to work out knots and myofacial (probably spelling that wrong) release.  Basically, it's self deep(ish) tissue massage.  Got a sore spot that you wish you could have someone work over?  Foam roller to the rescue.  Look up some Youtube videos.

Ok. I guess nothing hurts so I'll just keep it in mind.

I've never used a foam roller but I have noticed that doing some yoga really helps with how my body feels. I like that my MuTu workout has stretches as I can get lazy remembering to do them.

I'm pretty regular with yoga and just stretching so maybe that's why I don't use the roller.

I did half my wo this morning. Toning and I'll do the second half this afternoon. My neck is still stiff. Can I roll my neck with something? A ball I guess?

I bought theses shoes: Reebok and Asics

I don't think they're minimal shoes, but they don't look like they have much of an elevated heel. I'll see when they get here today. If they're not comfortable I'll return them and check into real minimal shoes.

Ninja Mom, be very careful rolling around the neck region.    I had good release from hand massaging the upper trap region near the top of the shoulder.    If you want to know more about trigger point therapy, rolling, myofascial release and referred pain in general, I can't recommend enough The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.   It's a very good introductory and get started right away kind of book.

what is a rotation?

Forgot to answer this. I'm sure that others can explain it better. It's when you have a certain plan/program and you pretty much only do that for a set amount of time, for example, only doing Jillian Michaels for say, 30 days, or whatever. 

I've got a pretty bad headache this morning and feel sort of sick so I'll postpone working out until I'm feeling better today.

Hope you feel better very soon. 

If you want to work on your neck, there is a product called "The Stick" that is good for that (and other things).

I wouldn't foam roll on the neck.  Too easy to strain something.

I did half my wo this morning. Toning and I'll do the second half this afternoon. My neck is still stiff. Can I roll my neck with something? A ball I guess?

I bought theses shoes: Reebok and Asics

I don't think they're minimal shoes, but they don't look like they have much of an elevated heel. I'll see when they get here today. If they're not comfortable I'll return them and check into real minimal shoes.

Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! Thanks, Snickerdoodle. :)

I'm a tiny (well, used to be tiny) Asian woman who had hardly exercised for all my life. I moved to the U.S. last summer and I've gained about 15 lbs. since then... just in a year! Probably because of different foods... I'm recently feeling tired all the time and not happy that I need to buy bigger-sized clothes... so today I decided to put an end to my laziness and get down to business! 

I hate running so I started at home with the workout videos I found on Amazon Prime streaming. I tried NMTZ of Jillian Michaels but it was too much for me so I moved on to her Yoga Meltdown video. Well, it was ok but still hurting my knees. Does Billy's Bootcamp or Bob Harper better for a novice than Michaels? I might just try Ballet Beautiful on Amazon tomorrow...