Menu

I'm losing my ability to handle stress!

goldberry

How do I get it back???

I've always been able to handle things.  I didn't like stress more than anyone does, but it certainly didn't disable me.  I *always* handled everything logically and efficiently, and often even thrived.    In the last year or so, it seems like I just get closer and closer to "shutting down" when in the middle of stress.

Last year with DD's schooling there was an onging activity that we really enjoyed but which required tons of work and busy-ness, plus lots of involvement on my part.  Sometimes I felt like, "I can't do this, I can't do this, I'm just going to fall apart.."  That's not like me normally.  Normally I'm, "This is rough, but it has to be done, so I will do it."

Right now, we are getting ready to put our house on the market.  Of course there is a ton to do, last minute repairs, painting, packing, sorting, cleaning, donating... I've moved before.

I find myself thinking again, ""I can't do this, I can't do this, I'm just going to fall apart.."  What is wrong with me?  Is it possible to lose your ability to handle stress, if it is something you have done your whole life?

And if so, how do I get it back??

I am prone to anxiety. I need to keep some routines in order, but actually the big thing for me is getting enough exercise. I get up very early regular to do that. If I fall off my exercise routine my ability to respond to stressful situations or even the little extras that life throws in just goes out the window.

Well, we are not really made to handle it all - sometimes we need enforced breaks...but have you increased your B- Vitamins a little, tried a little Fermented Cod Liver Oil (Green Pasture) and done some yoga, solitary walking or taken just one hour for yourself to regroup?

I am prone to anxiety. I need to keep some routines in order, but actually the big thing for me is getting enough exercise. I get up very early regular to do that. If I fall off my exercise routine my ability to respond to stressful situations or even the little extras that life throws in just goes out the window.

You are so right about this.  I know I feel better when I exercise, I just can't seem to fit it in to the day.  I am NOT a morning person.  I tried for awhile getting up early to exercise but I was tired and cranky the whole day.  I need to try again though.

I heard somewhere the other day that when humans experience lots of stress, they lose their baseline of the amount of stress that they can handle.I don't know if this is true or not.

I know since my breakdown that even a small amount of stress  is almost more than I can handle and completely stresses me out.

You are so right about this.  I know I feel better when I exercise, I just can't seem to fit it in to the day.  I am NOT a morning person.  I tried for awhile getting up early to exercise but I was tired and cranky the whole day.  I need to try again though.

Nothing would get me up early to exercise. You can do it in the evening as well or whenever it fits - I know it's hard to fit anywhere.

It could be a sign "overload" you need to heed.

Don't get up early to exercise. Early is when our bodies make most of our serotonin. Don't get in the way of that!

Stress makes us tired. No amount of positive thinking will convince me I'm not tired and stressed when I am tired and stressed. As far as I can tell the only cure is to lower one's expectations dramatically. Not that this is an easy thing to do either.

For me, that is what depression looked like. I pride myself on being a no-nonsense get-it-done type of person. But after a series of stressors, that changed. There was a constant refrain of 'I can't do this' in my head, along with 'I'm so tired'. I knew that a course of antidepressants was the right choice when I woke up one morning and thought (objectively and calmly, not euphorically) 'The sun is shining' . It had been so long since I'd woken up with anything other than 'I can't do this. I'm so tired' in my head. I took a low dose of antidepressants for 6 months (probably should have been a little longer) and I've never really sunk back. I don't always cope with stress well, no one does, but my baseline is back to normal, and I'm also more objective about my varying ability to cope with stress, that it might fluctuate with general emotional state, and I can see that it's just a temporary slump. Be kind to yourselves and don't add stressing about stress to your list of stressors :-)

I'm appreciating all the responses...but I wanted to come back and say that aging also is a factor.  As we age we are less able to handle stress like we could when we were younger.  I know I've noticed this in my parents/grandparents as they aged.

Plus,  as we age we experience more disappointments and sadness throughout the years.  I think it just adds up, and after awhile it's hard to keep that steady disposition we had when the world seemed simpler and full of possibilities.  Does that makes sense?

Seems like a lot on your plate for the last couple years, and moving is definitely stressful on so many levels. I would make sure that you are eating well, getting enough sleep, and doing some daily physical activity that is at least somewhat enjoyable (it could be related to moving, though sometimes it's better to do something completely different).

Also, treasure your family time and relaxing time. Say "no" to extra activities than you normally would, and prioritize you tasks and time. If you are a check-list person, make a list to check things off so you feel good about that.

I also wonder if there is research on age and handling stress and changing circumstances. My parents seem to have a much harder time handling changes than they ever used to. Going with the flow is something they have more trouble with - and they don't admit it, either. They think they're relaxed, but it tires them out to change from their regular routine.

I don't know that this is your issue....but this is what I sound like when I'm not getting enough sleep and not feeding myself decently.  I can tell you that as I've gotten older, it's taken less sleep deprivation/poor diet to put me in this state.  When I get into this state, I go into "recovery mode", a three step process:

1. Commit to immediately getting AT LEAST  7 hrs sleep per night EVERY night, and 9 hours that night.

2. Feed myself a power smoothie (this is partially a nutrient catch up meal and partially a symbolic gesture, you can choose any food that fills those needs for you)

3. Immediately, as in that very moment when I realize I need it, get mysef a win of some kind.  For me, this often means going for a run, but it could be anything where I feel good about accomplishing SOMETHING (shine your sink, pack a box, declutter a drawer, paint a wall, whatever).

Good luck.  This too shall pass. Just keep swimming.

How do I get it back???

I've always been able to handle things.  I didn't like stress more than anyone does, but it certainly didn't disable me.  I *always* handled everything logically and efficiently, and often even thrived.    In the last year or so, it seems like I just get closer and closer to "shutting down" when in the middle of stress.

Last year with DD's schooling there was an onging activity that we really enjoyed but which required tons of work and busy-ness, plus lots of involvement on my part.  Sometimes I felt like, "I can't do this, I can't do this, I'm just going to fall apart.."  That's not like me normally.  Normally I'm, "This is rough, but it has to be done, so I will do it."

Right now, we are getting ready to put our house on the market.  Of course there is a ton to do, last minute repairs, painting, packing, sorting, cleaning, donating... I've moved before.

I find myself thinking again, ""I can't do this, I can't do this, I'm just going to fall apart.."  What is wrong with me?  Is it possible to lose your ability to handle stress, if it is something you have done your whole life?

And if so, how do I get it back??

I'm appreciating all the responses...but I wanted to come back and say that aging also is a factor.  As we age we are less able to handle stress like we could when we were younger.  I know I've noticed this in my parents/grandparents as they aged.

Plus,  as we age we experience more disappointments and sadness throughout the years.  I think it just adds up, and after awhile it's hard to keep that steady disposition we had when the world seemed simpler and full of possibilities.  Does that makes sense?

It does to me.  I agree with you totally, and was thinking of posting the same thing until I read your post.

Honestly, don't get up early to exercise.  Not unless you are willing to make your bedtime earlier also and you can stick with that.  Just figure out what the right time in your day is and put it there with commitment.  I run.  Even though I do get up somewhat early (by 6:30), I don't run that early.  I'm not a morning person, my house is very busy in the morning, and I have an at-home job with a 10am deadline.  I usually run around 9am, or as soon as I'm done my work.  I just build it into my day that this is what happens after my morning work is done.  As it is, I'm in bed by 10:30 or 11 at the latest.  If I had to get up earlier to exericise, it would be, like 5.  Meaning, it wouldn't happen.  At least this way, I have a time I can stick with.

I heard somewhere the other day that when humans experience lots of stress, they lose their baseline of the amount of stress that they can handle.I don't know if this is true or not.

I know since my breakdown that even a small amount of stress is almost more than I can handle and completely stresses me out.

I lost my ability to handle stress after spending a few years depressed and under constant high stress (that I worked extremely hard to bury and ignore). I used to thrive under pressure - in fact, I *required* pressure to thrive - an ever-increasing amount of pressure, in fact. Unsustainable, and as my house of cards fell, I became unable to function under pressure at all.

I recently realized that all that buried stress didn't magically go away when the external stressors did, which is what I sort of assumed (and you know what happens when you assume ;)). It had been lurking in my body all that time - my baseline stress level was at just under red alert levels 24/7 - and so it's no wonder that any additional stress, however small, would cause my stress cup to overflow. And it would take longer and longer for me to consciously feel stress - I'd "feel fine" with a stressful event looming - and it frankly puzzled me. But in retrospect I realized that I was still burying stress unconsciously, and it was erupting in lots of ways that I never connected with "being stressed".

I've been doing a stress relief program for the past seven months (and started exercising), and my baseline stress level has gone way down, and my muscles are less tight (and I can sorta consciously relax them). Plus, my awareness of my body's reactions to stress have increased - before I'd "feel fine" yet be snapping at people every two seconds, but now I consciously feel physical and emotional stress reactions before they hit the "curled up sobbing on the floor" stage.

I'm still not great at handling stress - I now realize all the not-so-good ways I deal with stress (eating and buying stuff) - and though my overall stress levels are way down, I am consciously feeling stress more - downside of learning to pay attention to it, I guess. It's not been a magic fix or anything, but reducing my baseline stress levels has helped a lot. It's an ongoing thing, though.

Stress hormones (cortisol etc.) wear down your adrenals.  Drink lots, get plenty of sleep, do exercise but not so much that it puts your body under stress, take care of allergies/infections/blood sugar issues if you have them (these stress the body).  If you need to, there are some adrenal supplements that help too though I try to avoid the ones that have stimulants in them because I think they actually stress the body instead of heal it.  

For me, that is what depression looked like. I pride myself on being a no-nonsense get-it-done type of person. But after a series of stressors, that changed. There was a constant refrain of 'I can't do this' in my head, along with 'I'm so tired'. I knew that a course of antidepressants was the right choice when I woke up one morning and thought (objectively and calmly, not euphorically) 'The sun is shining' . It had been so long since I'd woken up with anything other than 'I can't do this. I'm so tired' in my head. I took a low dose of antidepressants for 6 months (probably should have been a little longer) and I've never really sunk back. I don't always cope with stress well, no one does, but my baseline is back to normal, and I'm also more objective about my varying ability to cope with stress, that it might fluctuate with general emotional state, and I can see that it's just a temporary slump. Be kind to yourselves and don't add stressing about stress to your list of stressors :-)

I had postpartum depression after DD was born, and was never able to stop taking antidepressants after that.  In general, I have always been a pretty "low energy" person.  I don't like days with too much planned or too busy.  I am also rather introverted, and DD is extroverted - extremely!  She talks non-stop and wants to be around people all the time.  I love it and her....but it's like a constant drain on me.  When I don't engage with her she takes it personally (like a 15 y/o!) so I try to stay engaged and not withdraw.  But it takes all my energy.

I've been thinking lately that my life has become the total opposite of what my "norm" would be.  Busy, full of people and activities.  Which is fine, I mean, that's what she needs right now, and I know that's not forever.  But I think maybe the underlying stress of my current "normal" is making it harder to deal with the extra stress. 

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.  Getting older...too much time in a stressed state...all makes sense....

I had postpartum depression after DD was born, and was never able to stop taking antidepressants after that. In general, I have always been a pretty "low energy" person. I don't like days with too much planned or too busy. I am also rather introverted, and DD is extroverted - extremely! She talks non-stop and wants to be around people all the time. I love it and her....but it's like a constant drain on me. When I don't engage with her she takes it personally (like a 15 y/o!) so I try to stay engaged and not withdraw. But it takes all my energy.

I've been thinking lately that my life has become the total opposite of what my "norm" would be. Busy, full of people and activities. Which is fine, I mean, that's what she needs right now, and I know that's not forever. But I think maybe the underlying stress of my current "normal" is making it harder to deal with the extra stress.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Getting older...too much time in a stressed state...all makes sense....

Sounds familiar. I find if I don't get enough alone quiet time I start losing my coping skills. Introverts recharge with alone time. Are you getting enough? Sometimes I just need to be in the house by myself.

I so know what you are saying, and I have found something that works for me.

Magnesium in both forms, but more importantly magnesium chloride oil. Spraying behind the neck, and legs and feet at night. It's amazing. I think I was lacking it, so it has eased my anxieties.

I have had 2 years of on going dramas, with operation, house on market for 6 months and then contract collapsed etc...

This week had skin cancer removed, and totally fine and positive with it all.

So, can't hurt giving it a go. Also, try Epson salt baths- 2 cups at least, 3 times a week. Get it at an animal produce place though. So cheap, and exactly the same product. Even though it might state otherwise. I rang the suppliers and they said its pharmacy grade but by law they need to write not for humans etc... All about money!

Yes, definitely. I think about those novels with neurotic older ladies that get stressed about the tiniest thing and I can imagine them having just been overloaded with stress in earlier years and losing the coping skills.

I definitely think my ability to deal with stress has gone way down over the last couple of years.

Someone mentioned adrenal fatigue on the forum. It's not totally scientifically proven, but I think they are observing something that is happening even if it isn't quite defined yet.

My coping strategy if I'm feeling totally overwhelmed is bed by 10pm, a walk every day in sunshine and three proper meals. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself to be able to care for others.

I don't know, but if you figure it out please let me know.    

Me too. The older I get, the harder it seems to be. I used to be known for my resilience. Not anymore :(. 

This is me also. I need to focus more on trying to be healthy. If I don't exercise in the morning (and not everyone is like this), I'll find a million excuses not to do so later. I have to exercise in the morning or it won't get done at all. My rigidity does not help, but this is the way I am. When it comes to exercise, I'm not an exhibitionist and need my private time. 

I'd rather crawl in a hole and pretend things are always peachy.

This. I fantasize about crawling into my hole so many times a day. 

I know since my breakdown that even a small amount of stress  is almost more than I can handle and completely stresses me out.

Yes, this is the case for me also. The smallest thing can send me into a downward spiral. Didn't used to be like this before. 

Don't get up early to exercise. Early is when our bodies make most of our serotonin. Don't get in the way of that!

Stress makes us tired. No amount of positive thinking will convince me I'm not tired and stressed when I am tired and stressed. As far as I can tell the only cure is to lower one's expectations dramatically. Not that this is an easy thing to do either.

I'm a natural early riser and barely remember a day from the time I was a teen when I've not been up before the sun rises. I love that alone time. Without that, I get more stressed. I'm an introvert and I have a very strong need for private time. I'm sure that if I lived alone, I'd get up any time that I wanted to, but even back then, when I did, I've always been a morning riser. Again, if I don't wake up early, I wouldn't get anything done, which would stress me out further. I have to confess that I do nap. 

Positive thinking has not been working for me at all. Neither does lowering expectations. Nothing seems to work for very long. 

As we age we are less able to handle stress like we could when we were younger.  I know I've noticed this in my parents/grandparents as they aged.

This is so true - frustratingly true :(. 

1. Commit to immediately getting AT LEAST  7 hrs sleep per night EVERY night, and 9 hours that night.

This too shall pass. Just keep swimming.

I have tried and tried to get at least 7 hours of sleep and I hardly ever am able to. That in itself stresses me out. I can take all the melatonin and sleep supplements ... nothing. I've gotten to the point where I no longer focus on the number of hours, but the actual quality. It really helps. I'd rather get 3-4 hours of quality sleep versus 7-9 of tossing and turning. Obviously, my ideal would be 7-9 of quality, but that's just not happening anytime soon. 

When it comes to "this too shall pass", I hope so, for all of us. In my case, I've been waiting for a few years, but in the meantime, this brings a smile to my face. 

10471036_702295886510064_477031608937783

Sounds familiar. I find if I don't get enough alone quiet time I losing my coping skills. Introverts recharge with alone time. Are you getting enough? Sometimes I just need to be in the house by myself.

Yes, me too.

Wow.  You sound like me.  Introverted mom of an extroverted 15 year old.

You HAVE to get the excess people under control.  Sure your daughter needs it, but she doesn't need you involved directly with all of it.  Try to do more dropping her off and leaving (if you can't go back home, find a quiet coffee shop where you can hang out alone until you pick her up, take along a book or knitting or something).  Also, I have over the years found it very, very helpful to borrow other people's children for my son.  I pick them up, bring them over, the kids play, I retire to somewhere and work on something alone. 

This one is important: you must have an absolutely non-negotiable quiet period every. single. day.  When my son was little this started as naptime.  He's 15 now, so the baby naps, and 15 year old has to go somewhere and be where I can't see or hear him.  I have a rule about naptime: you do not disturb me unless you have blood or fire to show me.  Otherwise, I don't want to hear about it.  And for the 15 year old, who is plenty old enough to attend his own boo-boos, it had better be a significant amount of blood. 

You need to do this for yourself.  It's not a luxury, it's a survival skill for life with extroverts.  They will drain you and leave you, just like vampires, if you don't.  You'll be a bloodless, white corpse on the living room floor otherwise.

I've been thinking lately that my life has become the total opposite of what my "norm" would be.  Busy, full of people and activities.  Which is fine, I mean, that's what she needs right now, and I know that's not forever.  But I think maybe the underlying stress of my current "normal" is making it harder to deal with the extra stress. 

In the past year my focus has shifted from getting things done (there will always be zillions) to self-care.  Doesn't mean I've abandoned my to-do list, which is impossible especially at this stage of our lives, but there are a handful of things that help me feel good, and I try to do most of them every day:

1.  Go to bed by 10:30

2.  Eat well, especially lots of greens and fewer carbs

3.  Run or walk outdoors, preferably alone

4.  Yoga

5.  Meditation--I found a CD that has 33 10-minute guided meditations, so it's easy to fit in, and I can really feel the shift and my mind and body afterward.  Dd8 likes them too, so it's something we like to do together that requires no energy from me :)  

So the to-dos are always there, and I'm always plugging away at the essentials every day, but my energy is more focused on when can I get outside for my run?  Could we fit in a meditation before bedtime?  What kind of salad do I feel like today?  I'm more productive when I focus on these things, instead of anxiety about endless responsibilities.  There are days it all flies out the window, but it's easier to get back on track knowing how much of a difference it makes in the way I feel.

All the previous posts about getting introvert time make tons of sense too.   

Amy 

Sounds familiar. I find if I don't get enough alone quiet time I losing my coping skills. Introverts recharge with alone time. Are you getting enough? Sometimes I just need to be in the house by myself.

No, I don't get enought, since I started homeschooling...uh, 5 years ago?  We live rural, so DD doesn't have friends close by.  She has friends "in town" about an hour away, so when I take her for visits I usually end up visiting with the mom myself, or running 20 errands that need to be done while she visits.  Part of our moving goal is to move closer to town.  We love rural, but want to move to a smaller town that is only about 20 minutes or so from the bigger town. 

DD just got her drivers permit.  In Colorado, they have to drive accompanied for a year before they get an unrestricted license, but at least I know that is on its way.

Also, DD is about to go visit family in Texas.  I will have about a week.  I love that!  But the results and happiness from it only last awhile.  I would rather have less time but regularly!

Possibly low cortisol. Not able to function in the morning and handle stress are key symptoms, but so are low blood pressure/dizziness when standing, hypoglycemia, and eye sensitivity to light. Its a simple salavia test to find out how your adrenals are doing. http://www.endfatigue.com/articles/Article_the_adrenal_gland.html

This is really interesting and I will investigate.  To all of you who mentioned sleep..I get plenty of sleep!  I am usually in bed by 10.  I get up around 7.  I am still always tired and have been that way since I was young.  I had my thyroid tested, and supposedly normal. At various times in my life, I have exercised, eaten extremely healthy diet, etc...and it NEVER did anything to help my low energy level. 

I also take a decent multivitamin and omega-3 supplements. 

Wow.  You sound like me.  Introverted mom of an extroverted 15 year old.

You HAVE to get the excess people under control. 

You need to do this for yourself.  It's not a luxury, it's a survival skill for life with extroverts.  They will drain you and leave you, just like vampires, if you don't.  You'll be a bloodless, white corpse on the living room floor otherwise.

I'm hoping the move will help this situation, plus DD getting her license soon. 

Your words resonated!  Something I say often is that when we are done homeschooling, DD will have a great education, and I will be an empty shell of a woman!  Very similar to a "bloodless, white corpse on the living room floor"!  I didn't connect it directly to the lack of alone time....but I think you are right, I think that is what the main issue is.

I found a CD that has 33 10-minute guided meditations, so it's easy to fit in, and I can really feel the shift and my mind and body afterward.  Dd8 likes them too, so it's something we like to do together that requires no energy from me :)

Would you mind sharing what CD you have and enjoy?

I have anxiety, so as I've gotten older I've have had more difficulty with stress. My psychiatrist told me that coping with stress meant not allowing it to overrun my life. So even if I feel overwhelmed, I pull up my bootstraps and do it anyway. Every time I do that I consider myself successful. This is despite how I'm feeling inside. So I'm not worried about losing the anxiety. It's with me for life. As long as I can continue to follow my coping skills, things really are okay.

:grouphug:

To all of you who mentioned sleep..I get plenty of sleep!  I am usually in bed by 10.  I get up around 7.  I am still always tired and have been that way since I was young. 

:grouphug:

My anxiety and stress levels have little to do with the amount of sleep. Again, obviously, the quality helps, but sleep issues are easier said than done. You can't force a good night's sleep. Regardless, I usually feel the most tired on those rare nights when I got 7-9 hours. I'm a bit of an oddity. My fatigue and anxiety are much more related to external stress factors and trying to deal with all the things that give me stress. Put me in any depressing/stressful situation and I immediately start yawning. 

when we are done homeschooling, DD will have a great education, and I will be an empty shell of a woman!  Very similar to a "bloodless, white corpse on the living room floor"! 

I'm really, really dreading the day when I'm done homeschooling both my children. I'll feel it greatly since they'll move thousands of miles away because of our location. I won't get to see them that often. That and the fact that I have absolutely no friends where we live. Lots and lots of acquaintances, but no friends. Anyway, I apologize for  hijacking this thread. 

things I found affected my ability to handle stress.

adequate sleep.

nutrition  (I would be deficient in something other than b vitamins.)

other stressors.  (stress is cumulative, so the more stress you're under, the less new stress you can handle.)

These are the 10 minute meditations that dd8 and I both like:

http://www.amazon.com/33-Spirit-Journeys-Meditations-Peacefully/dp/1401937357

Some are better than others, but I'd listen to any of them more than once.  I could see myself getting a little more ambitious with meditation when my time opens up, but for now I really appreciate feeling the benefits from doing something so short and effortless.  You could also google meditation and find a few free favorites online.  

Amy

Ever since I went through major debilitating depression, my ability to handle stress is way down. I'm happy to say that after a year of antidepressants I felt better and weaned off. However, since I became pregnant with our 4th, Some depression returned. I'm ok overall. I'm more exhausted than before, but it has been hot out, I'm pregnant and have 3 little ones go take care of! I tend to get bored easily, but often tend to not want to deal with potential chaos of an outing!

I will not lie, part of me looks forward to the day I can take antidepressants again. I feel bad saying that. Please don't think I think they shouldn't be taken, on the contrary! I needed them, and feel I still do, but for the sake of my baby (playing it safe) and because I'm ok overall, I'm going to hold off. Still, I know once I have 4 children, that extra pick me will help so much. It doesn't take problems away, but it's helpful!

I do hope to exercise more. A friend of mine who struggles with this same thing said she too knows exercise will help, but just doesn't want yo do it. Same for me. The things that I know will help just don't get done because I just don't want to do it.