Menu

Violin: Suzuki vs Russian method

I would like to ask pro and con between these two teaching methods.

DS is 8 and currently working at Suzuki Violin book 2. His progress is very slow and his teacher is not very organized. He loosely follows Suzuki but focus more on bringing up child's interest first so DS does not have good bow hold and he cannot read music either. I have friend's daugter learns violin with Russian teacher almost at the same time as DS but her progress is much faster than us. I think it's ok to take it slow and build the interest first for beginner so I did not think of switching teacher. Now the teacher cannot continue teaching next semester and I think it's time to make a change. I found two Suzuki certified teachers and one Russian teacher (friend's daughter's teacher) nearby. One Suzuki teacher and Russian teacher both work with music center and the other Suzuki teacher teaches at her house. I am debating between Suzuki or switching to Russian teacher. Few friends warn me that DS may have trouble to switch to traditional teaching method as he is used to Suzuki.

You may want to observe the teacher and ask for a trial lesson (also with the Russian teacher). The issue may not be Suzuki but your teacher's personality and style.

I have a professional violinist friend who drives her son half an hour away, past 10 or so Suzuki schools, to a different Suzuki teacher. Just because they are all "Suzuki" doesn't mean they are the same.

The teacher matters more than the method.  And the parents matter more than the teacher.  And sometimes a student just doesn't progress despite having the best teacher and most dedicated parents.

I teach violin but do not adhere to any particular method.  I teach the way I was taught, starting with basic method books then progressing to a combination of etudes, scales and solo works.  Sometimes the Suzuki books are the best fit for my students, and I often turn to Suzuki teaching tips when I'm at a loss for how to help a student.  The success of my students is most tied to the parents and to the student's own interest.  The students who do well are those who want to learn, and more importantly who have parents that make lesson and practice time a priority each week.  The students whose parents skip lessons, who forget lessons, who don't take a look to see what is expected during practice time, whose students can't find their music -- those are the students who quit, whose bow holds are still lousy after years of lessons.

I'd visit some teachers, do some trial lessons.  Also, think about your ultimate goals for your ds and consider his own interest in the instrument then look for a teacher who would be a good fit for your family.  

Can you observe?  I know that can be tricky in a private setting.  Word of mouth from other parents would also be helpful.    

One issue I see is that with an official Suzuki teacher, you know what you're signing up for pedagogically.  (Though your Suzuki teacher sounds as though he threw technique out the door -- not typical).  But when someone refers to a Russian method, that's harder to pin down.  In early music training it generally it implies a dogged emphasis on fundamentals, note reading included.  But there are plenty of teachers who claim the Russian method who are not dogged about fundamentals.

Good teachers are good teachers, and if one teacher shines above others, I choose her regardless of philosophy.  If you have a selection of good teachers from either side, I can vouch for the Russian approach.  My instructors came from Moscow and I thrived under their teaching.  Too, I believe it is eventually the approach any career aspiring string player will experience.  

Stella 

Thanks all the comments. I do not know any instrument but have been in chior all my life so I know some music. DS begged for violin since he was 4 but I delay the lesson till he was 6 as I knew that he cannot handle the length of individual lesson. Since DS started violin class, I have been sitting in the room with them and help on his practice at home. Few times that teacher has to teach me first and then I spend time to teach DS at home. DS loves violin but he could be unfocus in lesson.

The Suzuki teacher who teaches at her house is the recommandation from a friend. Friend's daughter (middle school age) is taking private lesson with the husband but she mentioned her teacher is very strict (will yell at student if not progress well) so she recommanded me to try the wife who is teaching Suzuki method and more patient as a mom. She was trained traditionally and got the Suzuki certification later so she will be able to work with both methods. I just contact her and she wants to see him first before talking more about the lesson/fee/progress.

I have two Russian teachers from recommandation and both are with music center. The comments from the recommandators about their Russian teachers are "more pushy" and "strict". But I see their children are doing great with violin.

DS has great passion about violin but does not want to spend much time to practice. We argued all the time at the beginning and finally we found the balance point.

A big no to the teacher who yells in a private violin lesson.  

Meet with the female Suzuki instructor.  She sounds promising.  

I'd also want to see the Russian teachers in person.  "Pushy" and "strict" are too subjective to give real meaning.  If it means these teachers have standards and expect students to work hard in the context of a warm teacher-student relationship, I think that's good teaching.  If being "pushy and strict" refers to a generally distant demeanor which is never pleased, I'd say no.   

Stella 

• 1 month later...

Quick update. DH does not want me to go too far as we both work and schedule will be tight during weekday evening. Therefore, we decided to stay with current music center and trail other violin teacher. There are 6 violin teachers we can choose from. First chose is Russian female teacher but she was fully booked. We ended up with an Ukraine male teacher who is using Suzuki books but teaching in traditional way. He is firm but not scary. DS who is suspect with ADD was extremely focus in the trail class. The teacher managed the lesson very well and was able to pinpoint his issue. The teacher wants him to back off to basic scale practice with his new bow hold and wrist position which is also something i really see he needs to work on. He explained everything to DS (not me, finally!) very detail and make sure he understands what he needs to do at home. The way this teacher talks is calm but firm. That's the teaching style DS needs to get progress. It is very different experience from previous teacher. He is very loose and wants his students to be happy with violin. Some students can work with this style and progress well but not DS. He felt happy and easy with previous teacher but not progress well as well as not getting proper training with his basic techniques such as bow hold and wrist position. With new teacher, he thinks he is cool and matching his learning style. For me, I think new teacher is great. He explains basic techniques very well. I finally learn where he should put his thumb and fingers without looking up online when we practice at home.

Sounds like you have found somebody who will work out well for you and your son :)

I think it's crucial that the teacher spends time and effort on good technique. That's why you are paying for lessons. If the teacher isn't going to bother correcting the child's bow hold you might as well not have a teacher! And it really helps if you as the parent understand exactly what your child is meant to be working on so that you can help and encourage him at home. (Although spending a week reminding your kid to avoid rigidity of the pinky finger on up bow isn't the most fun thing, it's easier to fix issues sooner rather than later!)