Menu

Coconut Oil for health benefits?

JessReplanted

This has probably already been discussed, but who uses coconut oil for health benefits?

I have tooth pain that was a mystery to the dentist I went to (I need to find another one), so I am going to try to

start 'oil pulling' and see if it helps. Since I bought a big thing of coconut oil, I was wondering if I should try to eat some every day - does it really help your metabolism?

Also, when cooking with it, do you just use it the same way you use butter?

I can't address your health benefits question because I haven't researched it. Coconut oil is solid at room temp, but melts like oil when heated. So think of it more as an oil than like butter. (It has a higher temp before it burns for instance.) However, some coconut oil tastes a lot like coconut and you might not like the flavor on your foods. I just got Trader Joe's organic and it is very coconutty. Before that, I had, I think Louella's and that was more neutrally flavored. You can also use coconut oil for skin care.

It definitely helped my metabolism.  My basal temperature is now normal instead of a degree or more low for the first time in years. Not even thyroid medicine or iodine supplements made my temperature return to normal.  My temperature increased in the first 3 days I started using it regularly.

I don't understand oil pulling, but you might look at things like trigeminal neuralgia, cluster headaches, or ice pick headaches (there are a few others, but I'm blanking on them right now) if you have sudden tooth pain that the dentist can't find a cause for.  I knew someone who had all the teeth on one side of his face pulled because of chronic horrible tooth pain.  He later got diagnosed with cluster headaches and he had constant trigeminal pain in between headaches.  Some of those headache disorders are more treatable than others, and the internet is full of scary stuff so don't rely too much on Dr. Google if you think one of them might fit your symptoms.

I use it in place of butter or oil in cooking, and choose virgin oil or refined oil based on whether I want the sweet coconut flavor included or not. For some things (like searing beef), if butter is a really complimentary flavor I might replace half the butter with coconut oil.

I have done oil pulling in the past (heard someone talk about it at CC and just had to try it).  It was a pain to do but my teeth and mouth never felt so clean in my entire life.  I don't do it regularly but keep thinking I want to go back to it.

I never really used it for cooking other than to put a small spoonful in oatmeal.

There is also an awesome body scrub recipe on Pinterest.  I use it before shaving my legs and it is amazing and leaves my skin so smooth.  It is coconut oil, sugar, and lime juice.  I also sneak some tastes before I use it on my legs...

I use a lot of coconut oil.  It makes the best popcorn.  I use it in place of butter to make eggs.  I stir fry with it. I make chocolate candies with it (The best peanut butter and jelly cups).

For oil pulling I mostly use sesame oil but I mix it up with coconut oil every few weeks.

It makes a great Make up remover.  

I buy 2 kinds. The one that tastes like coconut and the one that does not.  I order them both from tropicaltraditions.com

For me personally, it has not been a miracle weight loss oil but then I am not consistent with taking it every day.