Menu

I'm pretty dissapointed in Expedition Earth (Knowledge Quest).

AimeeM

I'm not sure what I was expecting - but not this. It's essentially an overpriced atlas with printable flash cards and a quiz at the end of each continent. The outline maps aren't great quality, and other than there are internet links - nothing I couldn't get myself from the internet (for free).

Just had to say it. No big deal - it was cheap enough (although, imo, too pricey for what it is) that it isn't a huge loss, but I really don't want to start from scratch with something else.

*sigh*

Shopping for geography is very discouraging. I mostly teach with bits of vintage books and handwritten worksheets, because I can't find anything for sale that I like better.

Yeah - she hates vintage and she isn't a literature approach kind of gal (I, on the other hand, love vintage and would have loved a lit based approach as a kid, lol). It does seem like finding a decent geography is a thorn in my side. Blech.

Yeah - she hates vintage and she isn't a literature approach kind of gal (I, on the other hand, love vintage and would have loved a lit based approach as a kid, lol). It does seem like finding a decent geography is a thorn in my side. Blech.

:grouphug:

How about Expedition Earth from Confessions of a Homeschooler? Her blog is filled with posts on her units, so you can get a good feel before you buy. I believe it is $15 for the download, I am impressed with it.

I've *heard* that it's very... oh, what's the word... difficult to implement fully? And it did seem pretty dependent on literature - or am I thinking of the wrong program? This particular kiddo cannot handle having a ton of resources.

I keep looking at MP's program, but it doesn't look much more comprehensive than what I have.

I feel this pain.

There are many different ways to approach geog and I don't have the best way for us yet. (Pair it with history, or science, or lit or do stand alone . . )

This is an area that we need better materials for.

Have you looked at Evan Moor Geog? They have Daily Geog Practice, as well as regional books you can find at various online stores, or take it to your seat workbooks. And it's not lit based.

After printing off COAH's program, and not really using it. And then trying to do it on my own from the net, I think the EM books now look better to me than I originally thought they were.

But I too am still searching. :closedeyes:

I gave my dd10 the option of dropping MP's geography bc I didn't think much of it, but she refused and wants to do it because she is learning a ton and she finds it interesting and enjoyable. She loves it. So there ya go.

I gave my dd10 the option of dropping MP's geography bc I didn't think much of it, but she refused and wants to do it because she is learning a ton and she finds it interesting and enjoyable. She loves it. So there ya go.

Good to hear.  We have MP geography lined up for next year.  I doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but the samples do look "interesting and enjoyable".  :)

My favorite way to do geography is through current events. It is easy and has the enormous benefit of slowly but surely preparing kids for real life as informed citizens. I love doing it this way, and it is quickly becoming our favorite subject. I find myself wondering why no one ever seems to talk about studying geography this way.

Bright Ideas Press is coming out with a Geography curriculum.  It is a year long course for Jr High and High School kids but might be able to be adapted for older elementary age kids.  They have a sample up that can be downloaded, and they are always happy to answer questions.  It will be available in both hardcover and digital versions.  I can't say anything about it as I haven't used it yet, just wanted to put it out there since you don't seem to be able to find anything to your liking.