Menu

Writing for 1st grader

socody

My 1st grade dd struggles a lot with writing. She is reading at what I would probably consider a 2nd or 3rd grade level, but her handwriting is not good at all! I have been searching around for different writing programs that will start at the beginning with letter formation or simple copywork (no more than one sentence at a time) for her, but not sure which direction to go. We have done Handwriting Without Tears, and I like it okay, but I want something beyond just "here's a letter, write it 10 times"-- she does better if she can write something with a purpose. 

What helps my ds is tracing my printing. I choose poems and Shakespeare passages. I use a Sharpie to print an amount he is able to do (I started with one line, less than a sentence. He now does three or four lines.) I use a clipboard so the paper won't slip while he is tracing. I clip down a sheet of waxed paper (to prevent Sharpie bleedthrough) with unlined paper on top. I print the passage, then clip a plain sheet of paper on top of everything. Ds traces the passage in pencil. The Sharpie is dark enough that it is easy to see through a sheet of paper. We tried this with regular felt pen and it was very hard to see.

We also do WWE copywork so he has practice with printing that is not traced. The combination has helped ds' printing improve, as has being consistent with practicing every day.

The DonnaYoung site has lots of info about making your own handwriting practice worksheets.  You could just make your own from books she is reading, her history, her science, etc.  http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/index.htm    .... that link probably has more info than you would ever care to read about the topic. 

For when I just want to get the job done without a lot of planning, I also use a worksheet creator thing like this one:  http://www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting.html    You enter in what you want the child to practice (sentence or whatever) and the style you want it in, then it creates the sheet to print. 

Knowledgebox central also has sets of copywork you can purchase.  I have some older ones.  If you search rainbowresource or whatever for "copywork notebook" you can probably bring up a bunch of those prepared for you on a theme.