Menu

Starting TOG halfway through high school?

I used TOG for about half a year a few years ago, so I'm familiar with it, but my son wil be a junior next year and has not been using TOG so far.  Because we've been eclectic thus far, he has an American History credit and a Geography credit.  He will still need to get a World History credit as well as a semester of Government and a semester of Economics.  Is there any way I can use TOG and count it for a World History credit this year?  I am flexible on what year we use, but own yr 1 and 2.  Thanks for the input.

FYI, I also have kids in grades 9, 5, 4, 1, K.

I used TOG for about half a year a few years ago, so I'm familiar with it, but my son wil be a junior next year and has not been using TOG so far.  Because we've been eclectic thus far, he has an American History credit and a Geography credit.  He will still need to get a World History credit as well as a semester of Government and a semester of Economics.  Is there any way I can use TOG and count it for a World History credit this year?  I am flexible on what year we use, but own yr 1 and 2.  Thanks for the input.

FYI, I also have kids in grades 9, 5, 4, 1, K.

I don't see why not.

I think that any two consecutive year plans would work very well. Fwiw, the y2 government elective is an excellent overview of the foundations and structure of US government. Add in a bit about state & local government and you'd have an outstanding stand alone government course.

As I'm sure you know, y1 is ancient civilizations (world), y2 is the fall of Rome to about 1800 (mostly world, but explorers, early colonies, American Revolution, and establishment of US government are typically covered in US history), y3 & y4 are each about half world and half US in context with world. So, it depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to have a solid history credit, any year plan would work. If you want to cover everything in a one-year survey course of world history, you'd have to just skim the surface of y1, most of y2, and roughly half of both y3 & 4. Survey courses are quite limited in how deep they can go.

As a Christian, I find y1 to be very valuable. Studying in depth the ancient civilizations that shaped the culture into which God entered history as a man is invaluable as context for lifelong Bible study. Were I limited to just two years, I'd definitely include y1. For the second yr, I personally would chose to go deep into whichever units from whichever year plans I chose rather than try and go a mile wide and an inch deep. Just my 2c.