Menu

NO I don't want your Ava Anderson junk, "friend"- a rant

poppy

I now have 4 friends shilling this health & beauty line.

I get Facebook posts about it. And I get 'stealth' Facebook posts about it: gosh did you know most other products can kill you? Here's a link! So glad I switched....

I get invited to online "parties"

I get invited to house parties.

I have been asked Ă¢â‚¬hey have you thought about hosting a party? "

No!! Why would I do that?

Why is it ok to prey on your friends for your income ? And to make it about how most health & beauty products people use are toxic just adds a whole new layer of shamelessness. Oh friend I need to save you by educating you about your deadly moisturizer. And by the way I am selling the way to save yourself !

And I can't even vent online at my usual haunts about how obnoxious I find it because *they are all there*!

Ugh.

I have a friend  (who I have not really interacted with for at least 6 yrs) who just started selling skin care. Now this line is all over my new feed. Thanks pal.

I was invited to a 'party' and after I ignored the invite I was messaged "hey are you going to come? It'll be so much fun!" I didn't want to mislead her so I politely wrote back ' while I totally support you in your new venture, I am not in the market for new skin care. Best of luck though!'

Just shoot me on the Advocare stuff. I have a friend who brings it up every single time I see her. I am not buying any! Stop asking!

I totally feel your pain.

Well, that just totally stinks. 

DD had a tutor that started trying to sell us on these magnetic bracelets.  I let her give me the spiel once then politely indicated we were not interested.  Every.single.time I dropped DD off she would bring it up.  Then she started pitching it to DD so when we were driving home DD would tell me she needed one to be healthy.  DD was 8.  We stopped going to that tutor.  Ugh!  At least she wasn't bombarding me on Facebook....

Yep, but it's not that bad anymore. I put the worst people on important stuff only. 

I did have one friend who went so far as send me a private IM hinting that my son wouldn't have his medical difficulty if we tried her nutritional product. I did have to unfriend her. I think she probably didn't mean it the way it turned out but the second time she sent an IM in that vein I was far too emotional to leave myself open to anymore. 

As long as I know the host I don't have a problem going. I've gone to many parties and bought nothing, but enjoyed the company and evening out. I've told the hosts flat out when I'm not planning to purchase and they often are the ones who have encouraged me to attend anyway. And occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised by the company and purchase items, like with Thirty One. I actually hosted a party which I thought I'd never do, because my friend was a new consultant and I needed some bags/storage items for homeschooling. It ended up being a good deal for me.

I also completely eschew Facebook and Twitter, so any invitations to this sort of thing are in person which helps immensely to cut down on the annoyance ;)

Oh I wouldn't think so. A facebook invite you can ignore, in person it's impolite to not an answer.

Awkward.

Yep, but it's not that bad anymore. I put the worst people on important stuff only. 

I did have one friend who went so far as send me a private IM hinting that my son wouldn't have his medical difficulty if we tried her nutritional product. I did have to unfriend her. I think she probably didn't mean it the way it turned out but the second time she sent an IM in that vein I was far to emotional to leave myself open to anymore. 

Whoa.  Yeah, that's well beyond tacky!

Over the years I have perfected my rejection of these wonderful offers. " I don't buy from multilevel marketers. "

Rinse and repeat.  Lost out on some "wonderful" friendships but that is their problem, not mine.  Ick.  

But they're friends? If it was a stranger that would be a little more odd. I just don't find conversations with friends awkward. And if I can't or don't want to go I'll just decline and we'll be on our merry way, no hard feelings. But it's rare I do that, because what's not to like about an evening over at someone's home with chatting, food, and a few catalogs?

I've been pleasantly surprised, actually. I used to decline more and now I just show up and have a good time, with no pressure to purchase. But I'm stubborn like that :)

I don't view it as chatting, food, and a few catalogs. It's a sales event, a commercial. You are essentially watching a live infomercial. 

Definitely not my thing, but I realize that some folks enjoy it. I'm not generally fussed to get a straightforward invitation. It does annoy me when people persist after I decline, especially when they say, oh, I don't care about making sales, it's just an excuse to have friends over. I always ask why they need an excuse to have friends over, but no one has ever had an answer, lol. 

People trying to engage me in "warm chatter" or pretending that they aren't concerned about making sales, not at all? They make me all stabby. 

If it is medical or even nutritional or in any way "healthy" there is a large dose of stress with those pitches for me.  If the person didn't know that I was chronically ill then I wouldn't feel that way but invariably these pitches are combined with a "if you care about getting better then you will do this" talk.  Of course I care about getting better but not necessarily taking their product.  But saying no to something of that sort is emotional for me and stressful for me because if they keep pressing and I finally snap (even if it is more in frustration and exasperation than anything else) I'm met with a wide-eyed "but I wanted to help you".  The fact that it would help to fatten their own wallet doesn't seem to be acknowledged.  

But they're friends? If it was a stranger that would be a little more odd. I just don't find conversations with friends awkward. And if I can't or don't want to go I'll just decline and we'll be on our merry way, no hard feelings. But it's rare I do that, because what's not to like about an evening over at someone's home with chatting, food, and a few catalogs?

I've been pleasantly surprised, actually. I used to decline more and now I just show up and have a good time, with no pressure to purchase. But I'm stubborn like that :)

I love evenings with friends and chatting and food! But somehow I don't get invitations from any of these friends until there is potential to make money from me. With the implicit promise that if I don't buy something, I at least hold my tongue about how lousy I think the product is.

I want to be liked , not used.

I don't go to "home parties."

I know everyone says you don't have to buy anything, but let's face it, the purpose of the party is so the hostess can sell stuff. I would feel incredibly rude if I showed up and didn't place an order, even though the products would almost certainly be things I neither wanted nor needed nor could give away as gifts to unsuspecting friends or relatives.

And let's not forget that if I attend a party, someone will try to talk me into hosting my own party, so I can get lots more of the things I neither want, need, nor can give away -- at a big discount or even for free -- if I can get enough other people to come to my home party and buy a bunch of stuff they don't want, need, or have anyone to whom to give the stuff away.

No.

Just no.

Oh my goodness! My news feed is full of people trying to sell skin care products, fake eyelashes, cosmetics, sex toys, candles, bags, exercise regimens, diet regimens, kitchen products, oils, and more. I am really not a fan of these multilevel marketing schemes and I find it really annoying.

I was just telling a friend the other day that I estimate there are no more than five of my FB friends NOT selling an MLM product. It's INSANE.  Young Living oils (which I actually use and like), Mary Kay, 31 bags, Plexus (tried and GAINED WEIGHT), Rodan & Fields facial care stuff, Jamberry nail wraps (tried. They peel off my fingers within 2 days and I was told that was extremely rare and likely due to my body's PH and I should soak my nails in black tea before applying again.  Um, no. How about I not apply again and we're all happy?), Melaleuca, Norwex cleaning products, and the list goes on.  And yes, I've had people specifically message me when I say anything about my son's diagnosis (ADHD) and tell me that their product could cure him.  Sigh. It's really irritating. I actually don't mind trying a product here or there, but I really get annoyed with my FB feed completely full of spam like it is. 

Multi level marketing makes me insane. I've banned it from the office, no Avon books on the coffee table, no email blasts, no parties here, etc. When we used to go to church, we had to deal with it a lot more. For some reason, it's okay to pass out those flyers and brochures in Sunday School? No. It is not. I don't understand not understanding that the majority of business conducted in Multi level marketing is "obligatory" in that it is family and friends who are only buying the crap because they love the person selling it, not because they feel that it is their favorite way to buy mascara. Advocare is huge here, now. I cannot, simply cannot wait for it to go away. 

The one that REALLY annoys me is "It Works" wraps. I have friends who supposedly "do it for Jesus" (seriously). The real kicker is they are all over weight. If it "works" shouldn't it be working for them?

And, no one seems to believe me when I tell them that no, I don't have a "problem area" that I want to fix. I'm happy like this thank you very much, and no, I don't appreciate your assumption that I *must* be unhappy with my body.

Argh. Can you tell that one REALLY bothers me?

Our chiropractor was putting pressure on us to buy her nutritional products, which she confessed once that she marked them up 100%. This was done after she got us to agree to "Wellness Visits." 

Then she started pushing us to become part of Viridian Energy (which sells electric power and is purported to be a greener way of using electricity). Both these things are multi-level marketing. She was really aggressive on both things.

She is now our former chiropractor.

The one that REALLY annoys me is "It Works" wraps. I have friends who supposedly "do it for Jesus" (seriously). The real kicker is they are all over weight. If it "works" shouldn't it be working for them?

And, no one seems to believe me when I tell them that no, I don't have a "problem area" that I want to fix. I'm happy like this thank you very much, and no, I don't appreciate your assumption that I *must* be unhappy with my body.

Argh. Can you tell that one REALLY bothers me?

The wraps JUST DON'T make any sense on any level. One person I know was selling pads that go on the bottom of your feet to soak up toxins. I can't remember what company it was. Nice. 

I don't ever see anything in my feed like what's described here.  I'm really glad about that, but you all are almost making me feel left out.

Do I have boring friends?  Unmotivated friends? What's wrong with these people that they aren't trying to sell something??!!!!  :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

It Works just as much as icy hot and an ace wrap. Yeah, it will suck water out of you for a while and dehydrate you really nice and tighten that skin up. FOR A WHILE. In the military, the wraps are gold for passing a PT test last second (when they tape measure your middle). Tomorrow, you'll be right back to where you started. Unless you want to keep on shelling out 25 bucks a wrap.

Icy hot is two bucks.

BOTH methoods are bogus, and not healthy at all.

Am I the only one that reports the spammy posts as spammy if a friend tries to push them on FB more than 3 times in one day?  Some of these are very close friends so I don't want to block them, but...  The worst example stopped posting about her products so much but got a business page and spams on that constantly.  I suppose after being reported so many times? I don't mind that, I just unfollow.

Also: do not invite me to your "online party." I'm not foolish enough to believe that your trying to sell me something in someone's home is a "party." I certainly don't consider you sending me an online notice that I can buy from you to be a "party."

I'm glad I don't get too much of that on FB!  A couple of friends have small businesses and their promotions for that get a little old, but it's not that bad.  Someone else sold MLM bags for a while.  While I have personal style, I don't have a good sense of what's trendy and this lady did, so I actually did learn a thing or two. :laugh:   But recently my neighbor friended me and it turns out that she's a brand-new coach for some workout video and energy drink program.  Multiple posts per day, and I don't want to block them and never see her personal updates (sometimes they affect me because I'm next door, plus her kid is just stinking cute).  I'm always getting invitations for their launch party.  Location?  My living room!  Mine!  :huh:  I get that it would only be her coming over to give her spiel, and that it's supposed to be more convenient for me to never have to leave my house.  But...no, just no. 

The funny thing is that just yesterday I saw some "top coach" advice: don't use the company logo as your profile picture or cover, because people are so much more interested in you and your personal story!  You'd think it'd be a major clue to them that people only buy this stuff because they like their friend/family/neighbor and want to make them happy.

I rarely see any of these things, so I guess I'm just lucky and don't have a bunch of friends selling things!  I did have one friend selling something that I had interest in, so I approached him.  I tried it, I didn't care for it, and that was it.  

I don't mind going to the home party things on occasion.  Sometimes I buy things and sometimes I don't, but I never get offended by the posts or the invitations like some seem to be reporting.  I suppose maybe I would if that was the only thing these "friends" ever wanted to talk to me about.  That would not sit well with me.

I also have no problem not buying my friends' kids' school fundraiser items, either, so maybe it's just a difference in personality.  I just never feel pressured by this sort of thing.  (For the record, I stopped allowing my own kids to participate in school fundraisers a few years ago, but that's another story).

Over the years I have perfected my rejection of these wonderful offers. " I don't buy from multilevel marketers. "

Rinse and repeat.  Lost out on some "wonderful" friendships but that is their problem, not mine.  Ick.  

I love the spirit of this, but "my" multilevel marketer was a mom of my kids' cherished friends. So I listened and listened and listened and just never bought.

It was some sort of nutritional supplement. What cracked me up is how she would tout it by saying, "I woke up feeling awful, but took x,y,z and felt amazing."

Yeah. It's called caffeine. The product was full of caffeine. (Not that I have anything against my drug.)

Alley

I rarely see any of these things, so I guess I'm just lucky and don't have a bunch of friends selling things! I did have one friend selling something that I had interest in, so I approached him. I tried it, I didn't care for it, and that was it.

I don't mind going to the home party things on occasion. Sometimes I buy things and sometimes I don't, but I never get offended by the posts or the invitations like some seem to be reporting. I suppose maybe I would if that was the only thing these "friends" ever wanted to talk to me about. That would not sit well with me.

I also have no problem not buying my friends' kids' school fundraiser items, either, so maybe it's just a difference in personality. I just never feel pressured by this sort of thing. (For the record, I stopped allowing my own kids to participate in school fundraisers a few years ago, but that's another story).

That's exactly how I feel.

Right now in my feed there are at least 3 different supplement/shake companies popping up in my feed daily.  (Advocare, Isogenix, and something else similar.)  Uh, no.  Do you see all my posts about gardening, farmer's markets and trying to cut out chemicals?  I'm happy it works for you.  Looks like cutting out that daily McDonald's/Starbucks/Taco Bell stop had nothing to do with your magical weight loss, it's all about the shake. 

Those, along with Norwex and the essential oils.  Ugh.  I can see benefits to the oils, I really can.  But, again, when I say we eat real food, I mean actual food.  I'm going to eat an orange, not add a drop or two of oil to my water.  

However, I did "go" to a Facebook party for Usborne books a few weeks ago because I actually needed a few books.  Best party ever.  It was over and done in ten minutes, and I had my books in less than a week.  There was no pressure because it was all via facebook post.  The salesperson would post short videos that I could click on to watch or not.  When she asked if anyone wanted to host a party, it was easy to ignore.  

I honestly have never even heard of many of the things people are posting about here.  Isogenix?  Plexis?  Nail wraps?  Oils?  

I'm amazed.  

I haven't heard about most of this stuff either, but it just takes one friend who gets hooked by one of these companies and then your friend will tell you all about it.

Especially w/ the nutritional supplements it becomes somewhat insulting. . . IMO. . . because the person pushing her nutritional supplement didn't bother to ask me whether I was interested in nutrition. I am. I read a ton on the subject. I looked at the ingredients in her supplement and could see it was the caffeine that was doing the heavy lifting.

Alley

I've seen a few posts in my feed in the past few months for Jamberry, but only one person sent a PM that felt like a sales pitch. I don't mind if people post about home biz stuff if they don't do it all the time and aren't obnoxious, but it doesn't take much to cross that line. The most annoyed I've ever been was when we were looking through the kids' Halloween candy and found Mary Kay coupons stapled to some candy.

It Works wraps -- I thought they were a girdle? That's not what it is?

I totally thought that people were selling a MLM Spanx.

Its something you put on for a short period of time that sucks out the water and tightens your skin. You like saran wrap on a pad or something like that. Apparently you can stick 'em wherever, and it will be "like, SO healthy for you" :001_rolleyes:

Its something you put on for a short period of time that sucks out the water and tightens your skin. You like saran wrap on a pad or something like that. Apparently you can stick 'em wherever, and it will be "like, SO healthy for you" :001_rolleyes:

I've seen these.  One of my sisters uses this company's products.  She was visiting another sister and took these wrap things, and a mask product for the face.

Sister A swears by the wraps.  she loves them, and really thinks she sees a difference, even if it is temporary after use.  She uses them before events, like her high school reunion she's attending right now.  Sister B called me as soon as Sister A was gone and said they do nothing, I see no difference whatsoever, do not waste your money (in case I was considering it).

As for the skin care, I don't know if it works for not and I have not tried it, but I will say that Sister A's skin looks fabulous.  Noticeably better than a few months ago (I don't see her often).  I don't know what she was using before, or if she was using nothing and just using anything at all consistently has made a difference, but her skin looks great.

I'm still not trying it, though!

I wish my SAHM friends would get real jobs and stop asking me to supplement their DH's income.

I don't want you to sell me stickers for my nails, spa items, candles, kitchen items, food mixes, diet shakes, oils, make-up, skin care, purses, toys, or books.

I don't want to hear about how peddling this overpriced stuff has changed your life.

Thank you for starting this thread! I've been holding that in for two years! (Seems we have a higher number of independent consultants on Okinawa, since it's challenging for SOFA-status spouses to find jobs.)

I do want to add that I appreciate those that make something and sell it. I find that impressive and try to support those WAHMS. I'm just not into catalog parties and most of the things sold that way are not my cuppa.

I was just telling a friend the other day that I estimate there are no more than five of my FB friends NOT selling an MLM product. It's INSANE.  Young Living oils (which I actually use and like), Mary Kay, 31 bags, Plexus (tried and GAINED WEIGHT), Rodan & Fields facial care stuff, Jamberry nail wraps (tried. They peel off my fingers within 2 days and I was told that was extremely rare and likely due to my body's PH and I should soak my nails in black tea before applying again.  Um, no. How about I not apply again and we're all happy?), Melaleuca, Norwex cleaning products, and the list goes on.  And yes, I've had people specifically message me when I say anything about my son's diagnosis (ADHD) and tell me that their product could cure him.  Sigh. It's really irritating. I actually don't mind trying a product here or there, but I really get annoyed with my FB feed completely full of spam like it is. 

We share some friends, but yes! I'm thinking about taking a facebreak for a while until everyone gets over their young living frenzy. I use oils, but good gracious, I don't need constant inundation from so many people! 

At least the jamberry nonsense is cooling off. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't sold them. 

Everything from cloth diapers to workout tapes is being pitched by true believers. 

I am not opposed to direct sales. I worked with a direct sales company and it was a great experience. But I never pitched anyone. I didn't have to. If they wanted my product, they let me know.