Menu

Has anyone had their student go for a semester abroad?

momofkhm

DD is an international affairs major so it's mandatory.  (She wants to anyway.)

How helpful is the sending school with practical information about where they will be?  Things of concern - plane, phone, food, ??  She's applying to University of Mannheim in Germany and at earliest will know in November to be there in January.  She's found out that she can get university housing but either they don't have a meal plan or the international students aren't eligible.  So how much for food?  Will they have student rates for airfare?  (Prob not, but worth asking right?!)  How should we deal with a phone so we can talk with her?  She will be in school in Germany but plans to travel while there.

Or am I better off discussing all this stuff with a travel agent that we know?

Thankfully, we do have family that will treat her like family 2 hours from Mannheim.  And she found someone last spring that will be going to Mannheim the same time she is.  I think they plan to room together.  They seem to actually be friendly, maybe not yet friends.

The study abroad section of the College Confidential forums is extremely helpful.

My son spent a year at Oxford. He went through a program at Butler University (not his home college but the provider of the program he went through. Butler has the largest study abroad program of any American university). The folks at Butler were enormously helpful. They responded to any and all questions we had, arranged for his visa, etc. They even provided a travel agent who found much better rates than we could.

My dd spent a mini-semester studying in Holland, but that was through her university so the logistics were completely arranged for her.

** I would definitely talk to the folks who are in charge of the program. If the program is through an American school, the college will have plenty of information available. If the foreign university is the only institution involved, it will be more difficult to find these things out, but most likely it will be used to having foreign students and may even have a website full of information for foreign students. Contact the folks in charge of the program!

** Find out if anyone from her college has done this program before? If so, touch base with that person to get BTDT details.

** As far as phones go, my kids found that it is best to just buy a phone in the country for communicating within the country. Assuming internet is available, Skype is a great FREE way to stay in touch with out-of-country folks. Unless something new has popped up in the past year or two, using phones internationally is expensive.

When we lived overseas there were some numbers we could use to call home or have them call us. I think it basically routed the phone call through the Internet. Don't just call direct from your phone unless you check the rate. It could cost hundreds to direct dial.

You might look into Vonage. Skype can be good too.

Budget for things like linens and dishes. A friend did a semester in England recently and mentioned it was cheaper to buy stuff there and give away than to try to mail anything there or back.

** Find out if anyone from her college has done this program before. If so, touch base with that person to get BTDT details.

I second this. 

My daughter spent a semester in New Zealand at the University of Otago.  A student at her college had previously participated in the same study abroad program and shared her blog link with my daughter.  That proved quite helpful.

One odd suggestion:  See if your daughter can find out about laundry facilities.  Dryers were cost prohibitive to use in NZ and are rare in South Korea where my daughter is currently working.  My daughter has a new found attachment to clothes made with modal which dry soft rather than stiff.

Regards,

Kareni

I wouldn't expect the college to send YOU any information.  Your child is an adult!

My oldest dd did a semester at the Sorbonne in Paris.  There was an agency that handled the details, matched her with a host family, etc. In her case, housing and food was included and her financial aid transferred.  We paid our share to the agency instead of to her college.  She bought her own airline tickets through Travelocity, but she was used to travelling so that was no big deal.  She just bought a cheap cellphone there and communicated with us by Skype.  She had a great experience!  She is my traveller -- this fall she is going to Morocco to teach English on a Fulbright.

Thanks ladies!  Especially the lnk to U of Mannheim.  

And Muttichen, I know they won't tell me.  But in looking for info, where should I look.

Trying to get her to do things..  Oy vey!  She needs to renew her passport.  She's 19 and needs to do it herself.  I've given her the info and how and where.  But has she even started yet?

Yeah -- it's hard to trust them to handle things like that.  I remember the first time dd went abroad alone at 19 for a missions trip.  I was really bothered at first because all of the emails, etc. went to her.  She was over 18 so I was out of the loop.  She'd forward me things if I asked for them, but she didn't always think to.  It was hard for me to learn to let go and let her work it all out.    And I've seen mine mess up some and have to deal with the cost and hassle that results.  But I guess that's how they learn, right?  I'm sure I drove my mom crazy when I was 19 or 20!

Be sure her phone will work in Germany. She can get a new sim card there. The kids text via what's app when on the internet. We mostly skyped. I don't think there is a food plan either. I've never known anyone to get a special airfare rate. Prices can very quite a bit so check around. Since you have friends there maybe her travel dates could be flexible. If she's flying about Europe be sure she checks the luggage fees and regulations. Ryan Air is only cheap if you keep it down to a small carry on. Food costs will very depending if she can keep food in her room or not. I think the college should be able to give you info about that. Very exciting for her! We love Germany.

I know how you feel. Dd is doing a term in Kobe and the school isn't helping much. The room doesn't include utilities. Ok, how much should she budget for utilities and internet?  How much is an average meal on campus?   She can 'save money' living with a family because they provide 2 meals a day. But they can live 90 minutes away from school.    Oh, she needs health insurance but we don't know whether her school health insurance OR your private health insurance will work there.   All of these unanswered questions are making dd nervous. She doesn't know how much she needs to put aside for this trip and these logistics are worrying her.   It's a great opportunity but I wish the schools would be more forthcoming with info on a study abroad program they recommend.