Menu

Ebay-Selling Not for Resale-TOG

RebeccaS

Not for Resale-TOG  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Ebay Auction Listing Not for Resale TOG WWYD?

• Report the auction
    • Ignore it-not my problem
    • Buy it! It's a great deal!
    • Alert TOG and let them handle it however they choose
    • Other

I'm looking for Tapestry of Grace.  There is an auction on ebay for a full year of TOG (4 units).  When I looked closer at the pictures, the pages say Not for Resale along the side.  I'm assuming this is the print copy that is sold along with the digital.  So, I'm curious, WWYD?  

I voted - ignore it. I don't care what others do with their copy so I would not report it. However, I would not buy without the Loom (you get Loom on CD with paper copy or it is a part of your Digital Edition.) You will not be getting either if this is a "not for resale" edition.

I voted - ignore it. I don't care what others do with their copy so I would not report it. However, I would not buy without the Loom (you get Loom on CD with paper copy or it is a part of your Digital Edition.) You will not be getting either if this is a "not for resale" edition.

Ahhh...ok.  I did not know that the Loom was digital.  Good to know!  It had a lot of extras that are nice and I'd never buy for myself.  But without the Loom...  And I already bought a different unit off ebay and got a bootleg Loom CD with it.  I asked the seller if it had the loom and just got a reply that it did not.  I'm glad you mentioned that.  I'm a TOG newbie.

One cannot resell work books because they are intended to be consumables, other than that I don't think anything like that would be enforcable. Where is that printed? On CDs?

It says Not for Resale down the side of the TOG book.  

I believe I learned in my business law class that companies saying you can't resell tangible products like books or CDs is not legal. I don't think we should allow companies to control how we dispose of non-digital products.

Very interesting!  I just assumed I could not buy it legally...

If I buy a book, including a workbook, it is my property and I am free to sell it if I want to. The company can try to tell me not to, but they have no power to stop me once I own the property. It is no different than buying a skirt or a car or a chair.

I have bought workbooks and then never used them and resold them.

• Like 14

I believe I learned in my business law class that companies saying you can't resell tangible products like books or CDs is not legal. I don't think we should allow companies to control how we dispose of non-digital products.

It is only illegal (according to them) to resell if you buy their digital edition. It is not illegal if you buy a hard copy.

Basically they are saying that if you buy DE, you have the option to have TOG print it for you. They will do that or you may print it on your own, but you cannot sell the copy that was printed. Does that change your opinion?

• Like 4

and this is why text book publishers *require* their authors to put out a new edition every two or so years.  not much may have changed, but that way students have motivation to buy a new book.

we have a friend who is a college prof who writes a textbook - and his PUBLISHER requires him to produce a new textbook regularly.

• Like 1

If I buy a book, including a workbook, it is my property and I am free to sell it if I want to. The company can try to tell me not to, but they have no power to stop me once I own the property. It is no different than buying a skirt or a car or a chair.

I have bought workbooks and then never used them and resold them.

Agreed, 100%. A company can request that you not sell them, but it is in NO way enforceable by law. The first sale doctrine is an extremely well known and solid legal principle.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01854.htm

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

If this has been mentioned, please forgive me. 

Tapestry of Grace sells a digital version of the curricula and a print version. They offer a digital plus print package. It is clearly stated before purchasing the print copy sold with DE is not re-sellable (and Not for Resale is printed on each page). Because the Loom is contained in the digital portion, the print w/DE should not be sold separately. Some folks will print a copy of the curriculum from their digital version and offer that for sale. Illegal, I believe, because of copyright laws (selling something you printed at home and selling it for profit takes away from the author) and no Loom cd. When one prints from DE, the Not for Resale message appears.

Only the print version sold with the Loom cd is re-sellable.

From Tapestry of Grace's website:

"DE + Print combines the best of both the Digital Edition (DE) and Print options, and at $20 more than Print Only, it's a great deal. You get all the benefits of Tapestry DE, plus the printed pages. In this option, your printed units are purchased under the same license as the DE, so they are not resalable."

HTH,

Teresa

• Like 1

ToG can say whatever they want, but they would have an extremely hard time making their license hold up in court because the first sale doctrine has been part of the legal system for so long.

Tons of knitting pattern companies or fabric companies say that you can't sell items made with their pattern or fabric (and print it all over their stuff), but the law is extremely well established that says you can.

• Like 6

ToG can say whatever they want, but they would have an extremely hard time making their license hold up in court because the first sale doctrine has been part of the legal system for so long.

Tons of knitting pattern companies or fabric companies say that you can't sell items made with their pattern or fabric (and print it all over their stuff), but the law is extremely well established that says you can.

I disagree. The TOG thing would be like making a copy of a workbook you own and then selling the copy you made for profit. Clearly illegal and not subject to the first sale doctrine.

• Like 4

I disagree. The TOG thing would be like making a copy of a workbook you own and then selling the copy you made for profit. Clearly illegal and not subject to the first sale doctrine.

Disagree. It's a printed book that you receive directly from the company. Now, I *would* agree that I* would find it unethical to sell that one while continuing to use the digital version, but I don't think it would be illegal. Just my non-lawyer opinion.

• Like 1

I'm with you, Mrs. Mungo.  The book says you can't resell it, but that's untrue.  They just don't want you to.  Obviously, photocopying it and then selling it is illegal (though you could fair use copy a few pages here and there, you cannot legally copy the whole thing), but that's not the case with the book.  As for the CD, my understanding is that if it's software, it represents one licensed copy (unless otherwise stated) and you can still resell it if you stop using the software.  These are physical items and my layperson understanding of the law is that you can always resell the physical items.

Anyway, that's why I chose "other" - I refused to choose "ignore it" because it's not a problem at all.

• Like 2

I'm with you, Mrs. Mungo. The book says you can't resell it, but that's untrue. They just don't want you to. Obviously, photocopying it and then selling it is illegal (though you could fair use copy a few pages here and there, you cannot legally copy the whole thing), but that's not the case with the book. As for the CD, my understanding is that if it's software, it represents one licensed copy (unless otherwise stated) and you can still resell it if you stop using the software. These are physical items and my layperson understanding of the law is that you can always resell the physical items.

Anyway, that's why I chose "other" - I refused to choose "ignore it" because it's not a problem at all.

I think we're talking around eachother. It's not a book. It is a printed copy, a photocopy if you will, from the "CD", i.e. from your digital download. It's illegal to sell because it was never purchased in a print format.

You can purchase print sets from TOG that can be re-sold at will, they do not come with a digital liscence.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how this applies to the DIVE curriculum?  I bought a DIVE lesson CD (a physical item) .  The writer claims that it is licensed to me and that I cannot sell the CD when I am done with it.  I always found that odd.  I do know that he watches ebay for auctions and writes to people selling them telling them that is against the license agreement.

From his website:

Used CDs  
All DIVE CDs are copyrighted and contain an End User License Agreement which states you have purchased a license to use the intellectual property for your immediate family. This license is non-transferable which means the DIVE CDs cannot be sold, loaned, or given away. This is important for many reasons but most importantly it allows us to serve you better by permitting us to offer the Replacement CD Program described above and it helps protect homeschooling families from purchasing used CDs that are damaged. At only 41 cents per lecture, we hope you agree our CDs are a great value, without reselling

There are three ways to buy ToG:

1. Print. This is the "book" form and is fully resale-able.

2. DE. Digital Edition. You download it, you get nothing physical at all.

3. DE+ Print. The "print" here is a printout of the DE version provided for your convenience so you don't have to print it out yourself. It's therefore considered the same as if you printed it out from the digital copy yourself in terms of resale. Just like you can't buy a digital copy of Writing with Ease, print it out, and sell the copy you made, you can't sell this print-out version of TOG either.

You could buy 1 and 2 separately and then you could sell 1 while keeping 2. But if you buy 3, you can't sell the print-out part of your purchase.

• Like 5

The only time a CD is involved is in the first option I mentioned, just Print. The CD, called the Loom, is not the curriculum, it's an aid to using it. In options 2 and 3, it's part of the digital download, so someone selling their printout from option 3 will not have the Loom CD to sell and the purchaser will not have access to it.

• Like 1

For the same reason that when I found a whole slew of Clinton Anderson (horse trainer) DVDs at bargain prices I reported.  They were just dubs (which is essentially what the above is, btw).  No, I'm not really that concerned about CA's copyright, I just don't want to see crappy copies being passed off on eBay.

It drags down the entire community.

• Like 1

For the same reason that when I found a whole slew of Clinton Anderson (horse trainer) DVDs at bargain prices I reported. They were just dubs (which is essentially what the above is, btw). No, I'm not really that concerned about CA's copyright, I just don't want to see crappy copies being passed off on eBay.

It drags down the entire community.

I can understand it when it's something like bootleg DVDs, because it's a quality issue as well as a legal one, but when it's something like a textbook and the seller isn't listing hundreds of them, I wouldn't bother ratting anyone out.

OP: No reason to report.

However, absolutely do not buy it. TOG knows all about copyright laws, and they have figured out a way to make it very difficult for customers who buy DE + Print to resell. The Loom is digital. Although technically it is not part of the curriculum, you REALLY need it to implement TOG successfully.

• Like 2

Used CDs  
All DIVE CDs are copyrighted and contain an End User License Agreement which states you have purchased a license to use the intellectual property for your immediate family. This license is non-transferable which means the DIVE CDs cannot be sold, loaned, or given away. This is important for many reasons but most importantly it allows us to serve you better by permitting us to offer the Replacement CD Program described above and it helps protect homeschooling families from purchasing used CDs that are damaged. At only 41 cents per lecture, we hope you agree our CDs are a great value, without reselling

I thought this was weird too.  I can see them asking you to please not resell...but how in the world can they ask not to loan or give away?  That seems crazy.

Yeah, but since the seller owns the digital version, s/he can print unlimited copies and then sell.

It's the exact same thing.

Is there any evidence that the seller is doing that?

I'm not sure why you would think it was any of your concern.

• Like 1

If a seller is printing or photocopying something they have, then that is clearly illegal and it does hurt the company and the author of the work.  If you like the company or feel strongly in general about creative property rights, then I think it makes total sense to report it if that's happening.

This whole TOG thing is weird.  I don't know if they can sell you the physical copy and not allow you to resell it - it seems like saying they printed it from your digital copy is just an attempt at a workaround.  It's a printed, published material and if they sold it to you, you can resell it.  And I'm sure that you can resell the CD.  I just don't buy that you can't from my understanding of the law.  If you buy a downloadable version of something you can't resell it.  That's one of the reasons that it's good to get a physical CD sometimes.

A number of homeschool companies try to tell people they cannot resell materials.  And it's a lie.  So I'm always a little suspicious.

• Like 10

If a seller is printing or photocopying something they have, then that is clearly illegal and it does hurt the company and the author of the work. If you like the company or feel strongly in general about creative property rights, then I think it makes total sense to report it if that's happening.

This whole TOG thing is weird. I don't know if they can sell you the physical copy and not allow you to resell it - it seems like saying they printed it from your digital copy is just an attempt at a workaround. It's a printed, published material and if they sold it to you, you can resell it. And I'm sure that you can resell the CD. I just don't buy that you can't from my understanding of the law. If you buy a downloadable version of something you can't resell it. That's one of the reasons that it's good to get a physical CD sometimes.

A number of homeschool companies try to tell people they cannot resell materials. And it's a lie. So I'm always a little suspicious.

You're exactly right. And that's why the TOG copy that was referred to by the OP shouldn't be up for sale. There is no physical CD with it. It's printed from a digital download, which makes it illegal to resell. If you own a physical TOG Loom CD, then you also own a physical copy of the curriculum that can be resold. The copies of TOG that come with the Loom CD do not have "not for resale" printed down the side.

For instance, I happen to own Year 2 that I bought prior to the existance of digital TOG. I now live in another country and I did not bring the original with me (It's in storage). While here I bought the digital version. I could still legally sell my original version, even though I now own the digital version as well. I could not legally print out a copy and sell that.

• Like 3

3. DE+ Print. The "print" here is a printout of the DE version provided for your convenience so you don't have to print it out yourself. It's therefore considered the same as if you printed it out from the digital copy yourself in terms of resale. Just like you can't buy a digital copy of Writing with Ease, print it out, and sell the copy you made, you can't sell this print-out version of TOG either.

You could buy 1 and 2 separately and then you could sell 1 while keeping 2. But if you buy 3, you can't sell the print-out part of your purchase.

Yeah, but since the seller owns the digital version, s/he can print unlimited copies and then sell.  

It's the exact same thing.

It seems to me that it is more like: I own a print version of WWE, I change my mind and to buy the digital version, then sell the printed version. If a company sells you a *physical* copy (which it sounds like this is? I don't use ToG), then my understanding is that you can sell it, no matter what're company tries to claim. They can put whatever they want in their license agreement, that doesn't mean it would stand up in court.

• Like 1

This whole TOG thing is weird. I don't know if they can sell you the physical copy and not allow you to resell it - it seems like saying they printed it from your digital copy is just an attempt at a workaround. It's a printed, published material and if they sold it to you, you can resell it

I think something is getting lost in translation. The printed material IS re-sellable. TOG even says as much.

However, what the OP saw was the digital version, printed out on a home printer (hence the "not for resale" disclaimer. The print verdion doesnt have that, just the digital). The seller was not sold a physical copy. And, because it's digital, they can print as many bootleg copies as they want, just like standing at a copier making duplicates of an original print version.

However, what the OP saw was the digital version, printed out on a home printer (hence the "not for resale" disclaimer. The print verdion doesnt have that, just the digital). The seller was not sold a physical copy. And, because it's digital, they can print as many bootleg copies as they want, just like standing at

That isn't what the OP said.

"I'm assuming this is the print copy that is sold along with the digital. "

If it is a physical copy sold with the digital copy, then I think it is fair game.

• Like 1

That isn't what the OP said.

"I'm assuming this is the print copy that is sold along with the digital. "

If it is a physical copy sold with the digital copy, then I think it is fair game.

TOG offers the service of printing a copy from your purchased digital product for you. The same way as if you had kinkos/office max/staples print out a copy for you. It is a physical copy of a digital product. Instead of printing it at home, for a few extra dollars, TOG will do it for you. This way you get the advantages of the digital format and you don't have to use your ink or drive down to office max.

ETA: It is the exact same thing as having it printed by my printer from the digital source or having an office store print it from my digital source. Also, in this case, the printed copy will not be the full curriculum because it lacks the Loom. This would be like buying the digital SOTW, having a company print it out for you, and then selling that copy on ebay.

• Like 2

TOG offers the service of printing a copy from your purchased digital product for you. The same way as if you had kinkos/office max/staples print out a copy for you. It is a physical copy of a digital product. Instead of printing it at home, for a few extra dollars, TOG will do it for you. This way you get the advantages of the digital format and you don't have to use your ink or drive down to office max.

ETA: It is the exact same thing as having it printed by my printer from the digital source or having an office store print it from my digital source. Also, in this case, the printed copy will not be the full curriculum because it lacks the Loom. This would be like buying the digital SOTW, having a company print it out for you, and then selling that copy on ebay.

I don't see how it is the same thing (digital vs. digital + print), when the digital (for year 1) is $175 and digital + print is $315.
  • Like 3

No, it isn't the same to me. It is more like buying the printed pages of SOTW and the digital downloads, realizing you don't need the former and selling them. If ToG doesn't want people selling the physical form, then they should not provide (and charge extra for) it. Providing a physical copy with the sale of the program means that the first sale doctrine is applied, IM(non-lawyer)O.

• Like 3

No, it isn't the same to me. It is more like buying the printed pages of SOTW and the digital downloads, realizing you don't need the former and selling them. If ToG doesn't want people selling the physical form, then they should not provide (and charge extra for) it. Providing a physical copy with the sale of the program means that the first sale doctrine is applied, IM(non-lawyer)O.

:iagree:

One of the reasons I prefer to buy hard copies of educational materials is because I want to be able to pass them on to someone else when I'm finished using them.

The "you can't resell it because we said so," argument doesn't hold water with me. I also dislike the publishers who post guilt-inducing comments discouraging the resale of their materials because they're a small business and they lose money when people buy their products used, instead of directly from them. Sorry, publisher, but that's a part of doing business. If you're not making enough money, that's not really my problem.

In this eBay situation, it doesn't appear that the seller is some sort of serial bootleg TOG seller, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about. She probably bought the materials (maybe she even bought them used! :eek:) and when she was finished with them, she decided to resell them on eBay so she would have the money to help pay for next year's books.

• Like 3

(Honest question, I am trying to understand this.)

If TOG worked out a deal so that Staples (for example) would print digital TOG with a 10% discount, would it be okay for the customer to resell this copy? If not, is it simply the difference in who is mailing it?

I just bought TOG this year and bought the digital + print version. I paid extra to have both versions.  I have access to the digital version, but they ALSO sent me a big package delivered by FedEx which contains the print version.  Every page that came in the big package delivered to my door is marked "not for resale".  That's not the same as just buying the digital version for yourself and printing out a second copy to sell.  If I bought the digital version and then went back later and bought the printed version, I would be allowed to resell.  The fact that I bought them together and got a discount for doing so makes TOG say that the paper version is now not able to be resold and that is a bit annoying.  What should I do with it when I'm done using it? I'm only going to be using it twice. Should I throw away four big binders of curriculum just because the publisher doesn't want me to resell it? In the future I will probably just buy one version and if it's print I will sell it, so the policy may actually be causing them to lose sales.

No, it would be like major publishing companies including a copy of the ebook every time you buy a paperback, and then saying, "Hey, we printed this hardcopy of the book from the ebook, so now you can't ever resell it."

It doesn't matter where the content of the book was stored when ToG printed it.  If someone has purchased a physical copy of something, they can legally resell it, period.  ToG can say whatever they want, but it doesn't change the law.  ToG copied and printed the material, THEN sold it.

• Like 4

"DE + Print combines the best of both the Digital Edition (DE) and Print options, and at $20 more than Print Only, it's a great deal. You get all the benefits of Tapestry DE, plus the printed pages. In this option, your printed units are purchased under the same license as the DE, so they are not resalable."

I only think this is printed "under the same license" in the imagination of ToG. They printed it, they sold it. You can resell it, it's yours. 

Yes, you can resell it, it is a product. 

If a seller is printing or photocopying something they have, then that is clearly illegal and it does hurt the company and the author of the work.  If you like the company or feel strongly in general about creative property rights, then I think it makes total sense to report it if that's happening.

This whole TOG thing is weird.  I don't know if they can sell you the physical copy and not allow you to resell it - it seems like saying they printed it from your digital copy is just an attempt at a workaround.  It's a printed, published material and if they sold it to you, you can resell it.  And I'm sure that you can resell the CD.  I just don't buy that you can't from my understanding of the law.  If you buy a downloadable version of something you can't resell it.  That's one of the reasons that it's good to get a physical CD sometimes.

A number of homeschool companies try to tell people they cannot resell materials.  And it's a lie.  So I'm always a little suspicious.

In this case, they sold a printed copy and a digital copy. Both can be resold. I am equally suspicious. 

I just bought TOG this year and bought the digital + print version. I paid extra to have both versions.  I have access to the digital version, but they ALSO sent me a big package delivered by FedEx which contains the print version.  Every page that came in the big package delivered to my door is marked "not for resale".  That's not the same as just buying the digital version for yourself and printing out a second copy to sell.  If I bought the digital version and then went back later and bought the printed version, I would be allowed to resell.  The fact that I bought them together and got a discount for doing so makes TOG say that the paper version is now not able to be resold and that is a bit annoying.  What should I do with it when I'm done using it? I'm only going to be using it twice. Should I throw away four big binders of curriculum just because the publisher doesn't want me to resell it? In the future I will probably just buy one version and if it's print I will sell it, so the policy may actually be causing them to lose sales.

If you paid for the printed version, no matter how much or how little, it is yours and you can resell it. If you paid for a digital version and you are no longer using it, you can resell it. If you paid for both and are no longer using the digital version, you can resell it. 

TOG can say whatever they want, but I have found that many homeschool companies either don't understand copyright law or are intentionally deceiving their customers in order to boost sales. Basically, if it is your personal property and was not intended to be consumable, you can resell it.

I, too, am not a lawyer, so take whatever you want and discard the rest. 

If you paid for the printed version, no matter how much or how little, it is yours and you can resell it. If you paid for a digital version and you are no longer using it, you can resell it. If you paid for both and are no longer using the digital version, you can resell it.

TOG can say whatever they want, but I have found that many homeschool companies either don't understand copyright law or are intentionally deceiving their customers in order to boost sales. Basically, if it is your personal property and was not intended to be consumable, you can resell it.

In the case of TOG there is no possible way to sell your digital edition apart from giving someone your computer as well. It will not open on another device. Every time you open the program it checks to see if you have a license to use it. It seems very user specific. If I copied it to another computer in my house, it would not work. I imagine if you are a computer guru you could do it, but most of us aren't ;)

Yep, I think some of you are thinking cd, but the DE is all online.  So you don't have a cd to sell  and like she said it won't even work on other computers in your household unless you make some kind of special arrangement.

Yes, I was thinking CD. There probably is a techie way to do it, though. 

Ummm no it does not. Only if you get just the print and not the DE can you resell. If you get the print WITH the DE then you may not.

Print Only delivers Tapestry in printed units, hole-punched and binder ready, with the Loom on CD-ROM. It is fully resalable.

DE PLUS Print Copy format combines the best of both the DE and Print options. The printed portion is a static printout of the DE copy at the time of purchase. In this option, your printed units are purchased under the same license agreements as the DE, so they cannot be resold, transferred, or given away.

Just to clarify, from the POV of the law, there is no difference between these two print copies.

TOG is not provided as a pdf.  If they are still using the same LockLizard framework for DE that they were using when if first came out (I reviewed one unit of one year back then, oh goody), not only can you not sell it, but I think it even limits the number of copies you can print (like really limits, as in only a couple of copies).  The program is designed to check your registration every time.  If your computer dies and you want to transfer it to another one, you have to contact them directly so they can look up your purchase and transfer it for you.  For real---this is one of those companies that is obsessive about protecting their intellectual property.

My husband said at the time:  "This company obviously hates their customers.  They are so intent on protecting their intellectual property that they are willing to scr*w them over."

Given how much this program costs, I think that stinks.  There will always be some thievery in the world---why punish everybody?

• Like 1

TOG is not provided as a pdf. If they are still using the same LockLizard framework for DE that they were using when if first came out (I reviewed one unit of one year back then, oh goody), not only can you not sell it, but I think it even limits the number of copies you can print (like really limits, as in only a couple of copies). The program is designed to check your registration every time. If your computer dies and you want to transfer it to another one, you have to contact them directly so they can look up your purchase and transfer it for you. For real---this is one of those companies that is obsessive about protecting their intellectual property.

My husband said at the time: "This company obviously hates their customers. They are so intent on protecting their intellectual property that they are willing to scr*w them over."

Given how much this program costs, I think that stinks. There will always be some thievery in the world---why punish everybody?

I think this is an unfair characterization. I've had the hypothetical computer die (more than once!) and getting it on another computer was not a problem. I've not had a problem printing multiple times, for my multiple children or upgrading various bits and pieces at different times.

In fact I would say just the opposite, that they bend over backwards to make sure their customers are satisfied.

• Like 5

There may be a legal contract involved if you agree not to resell when you buy. I think when I did a print-to-DE upgrade I signed a form saying I would not resell. Would that hold up in a court of law? I don't know, but I consider myself bound by an agreement I signed my name to.

• Like 2