Menu

Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Soror

I'm working on losing weight and would love a support group. Any desire for one here?

I'm on the auto-immune paleo diet for Hashimoto's and started thyroid hormones for my hypothyroidism. Starting the diet helped my weight finally start going down, while feeling good and cutting the cravings and the hormones have helped even more. Right now I'm working desperately on improving sleep and increasing my activity level (which go together).

I'm down 12 lbs since starting and have 11-14 lbs and 2.5 inches left on my hips and stomach I'd like to lose. I've got it broke down into little goals though. 

I'm hoping to be down 1.4 lbs by the end of the month as that puts me at a nice even number :)

I'll check in from time to time .... I've lost 25 lbs. since November with about 10-15 to go.  I've lost 30-35 lbs two or three times in the last 15-17 years and I'm tired of putting it back on so I'm going into this with a "fit by 50" -- I'm 47 -- lifestyle change mentality. To get there, I'm eating less and moving more.  I've found when I eat less, I eat better. I'm also implementing the 5:2 intermittent fasting approach -- eating normal for five days a week (although admittedly I'm eating less than I used to on those five days, too) and eating 500+/- calories two days a week. As for moving more, I've been "power walking" (3.5 to 4.5 mph) three to five days a week for a couple of months. I also add in interval training 2-3 times a week, meaning during my regular walk I sprint for 20-30 seconds at a time 10-14 times.  I just joined the gym this week and will be doing TRX strength training 2-3 times a week as well over the next two months.  Finally, although this won't apply over the summer but it's something I started in March or April, I now have a standup desk for my work.  I transcribe high school classes live for a living and I used to sit on my bed for this.  Now I stand for 80% or so of my classes (I work 30-ish hours a week so it's a significant amount of time).  Have been reading studies about how just standing and not sitting has huge benefits -- that we can work out like an animal for several hours a week, but if we sit most the time otherwise, it's really not helping in the end. 

I'll join in. Milovany, I'm 47 and have lost 25 pounds as well. I lost it from the end of January through May. I've not lost anymore, but I have kept it off. I lost it by cutting down on carbs, especially sugar, potatoes, rice, and pasta. I didn't deny myself totally, because I felt like that would be a recipe for defeat. With summer here, I've definitely had more treats and been eating more, so I'm glad I've kept it off.

I lost it without any exercise, and I've been walking at least 3 times a week. That might be how I've done it. I would like to lose more, though. I know I probably sit too much, but I've been trying to change that. 

I would be happy to lose 15 more but excited if it were 20.  

How will checking in work, a thread, a group? 

Hello ladies! Usually I like a weekly thread as a lot of people measure loss by the week. 

milovany it sounds like you are making some wonderful lifestyle changes! I like to sprint some as well when I'm up to it, I'm hoping I can start back again next week.

I'm not generally a fan of fad diets but my body prefers a paleo diet and the auto-immune diet has been great for me. I'm hoping to go back to regular paleo in august once I retest my thyroid, assuming I'm feeling better and my antibodies are down. 

mom31257- Congrats! My diet is "lower" carb although not super low. I love walking as well, it is a good family exercise.

Are your husbands/families on the same type of diet as you or losing weight? Dh has lost about 25 lbs in the last 10 weeks just cutting back on sodas and the really bad treats. I started at the beginning of May myself. Dh is joining me with paleo now though as his latest labs are not good, he has got to cut the carbs and sugars, he is at pre-diabetic with sky high triglycerides. He doesn't eat terribly, not compared to many, but unfortunately some of us have to watch ourselves more. So, I've got to get more creative in the kitchen here to get him some more veggies to replace the carbs.  We are also starting an elimination diet for the baby although I'm already off of everything the rest of the family isn't.

I can't seem to lose weight to save my life and I have been trying a LOT of things.  I may actually go to a nutritionist/therapist soon if I can't figure this out.

So, I want to join you, but I am afraid that I won't lose anyway since nothing is working (currently very low carb.)

My husband has always been thin so no weight issues there.  I have one child who is very thin and two who could stand to lose some weight.

Dawn

Dh doesn't need to lose any weight. He could stand to eat less sugar, though.

Ds is super skinny and wants to gain weight.

Dd is actually the heaviest of us all now that I've lost weight. She is 5' 9" and built bigger. She was always 95th percentile height and weight on charts while growing up, but now she's slightly above the 95th in height, and about 10 pounds above 95th in weight. She has started walking several days a week, but her problem is sitting too much. Every single thing she enjoys doing is sitting...writing, reading, editing videos, etc. She helps us clean the 10,000 sq. foot building we clean twice each week, but she didn't do any exercise before walking this summer. She wants to lose and it is a sensitive subject for her. 

Dawn, I know that feeling :( I hope you can get it figured out. For me it was a combo of thyroid and eating foods that were causing inflammation.

mom32157- my kids are all very thin but my husband has struggled with a bit of weight for awhile, it has definitely gotten worse this year though. I usually keep my weight stable, this is the first time I gained it back after losing it but my thyroid has been thwarting me.

Do you want to use this thread as a check in for this week?

I'm really hoping to increase the activity level as we're working hard on sleep here. Food is generally meat, vegetables and a bit of fruit. 

This thread is fine with me for checking in. I weighed yesterday before I posted, so I can use that as my checking point for this coming week. 

So I keep hearing about the autoimmune diets. Are they all paleo? My mom had an autoimmune disease, sarcoidosis. Both my sisters have fibromyalgia. I have a cousin who is supposed to have 5 autoimmune diseases. I have wondered if I need to consider a diet just as prevention. 

I'd love to join in! I'm down 6 lbs with 25-30 to go. I have had a really hard time figuring out what works for me. What's gotten the scale to move is changing my coffee to black and eliminating most dairy. The dairy thing started out as a grocery bill saving idea when I realized how much of our grocery budget was going to milk, cheese and yogurt, but eliminating it has helped clear my face up, gotten rid of some congestion and helped the scale move down, so it's been good all around. I will still have a bit of cheese on occasion (pizza and spaghetti) but it's a rare occasion now instead of a multi/day occasion. 

Welcome Amanda! It seems dairy causes weight issues for a lot of people. I know I've seen lots of people on various low carb and paleo sites over the years have trouble with scale moving until they dropped dairy.

mom32157- I'm not familiar with other auto-immune diets other than the various paleo versions. 

I'd love to join you ladies! I have 40 to lose. Trying to stay motivated. DH loves to run and stay active as well. I will admit his energy levels annoy me at times, especially when he is waking me up wanting to run or workout! I want to do those things and even with him. Just annoys me when he points out I need to do them, lol.

I'm in, I need some more accountability. I had lost 60 lbs a few years ago, kept it off for 2 years and then went back to my old eating habits, had to take several courses of prednisone and gained 40 lbs in the last year. I started again April 21st, my DH joined me two weeks later and two weeks ago 22 yr old my son got on board. I still have a good 60 lbs to lose. I have lost 11 lbs since April 21st. My DH has lost 18 lbs with about 20 more to go and my son has lost 9 lbs, with about 15 left to go.

We are doing low carb/high fat. We keep to under 20 carbs per day.

Welcome Mandy and Berta- 

Mandy- that is cool that you guys can workout together though. I've done that some with dh, especially biking and hiking and it is our favorite family time. Do you have a particular plan you are following?

Berta that is awesome that you are doing it together. Hopefully it will be much easier for you now that you are off the prednisone.

Dh has told me he is aiming to lose about 30 lbs more and see where he is at. He was about at that weight when we met and had a bit of pudge but not much. He hasn't been there in years though. He bought a WiiFit yesterday and did a bit with it. He did some laps when we went swimming and is planning to go a couple days a week before work. He used to go swimming after work when he worked nights but then his schedule changed and he couldn't make it before well now they open earlier so he can easily get in 30 minutes. We all took a short walk after supper as well. I'm hoping we can start getting in at least a short walk after we eat so he can get his fasting glucose down. He did really well with eating. I have him on lower carb but not keto, with his carb during the day while he is active. 

I was hungry yesterday but it seems to go that way, I didn't have much of an appetite the previous few days (I never do when I start my period- weird I know) and then my body is like starving. Anyway, I try to just roll with my appetite. I put my goal of 6.4 pounds into the Wii, I'm hoping to hit that by the end of July. After that I'd like to lose at least 5 more pounds and anything else is gravy!

I'd love to participate.  I lost about 20 pounds a few years ago and have stayed around that, +- 5 lbs.  Ideally I'd like to lose another 15-20.  We are going on vacation soon so I'm cramming for the exam, so to speak :) 

I seem to be most successful by reducing my carb intake  and just cutting calories overall.  I also boost my exercise.  Dh and I walked this morning and are planning on doing so each morning before he goes to work.  In addition (since I'm trying to lose a few pounds before vacation) I will do a 4 mile walk DVD and some spot exercising each day too. 

Good luck to everyone!

I'd love to join the weight loss thread.  I've lost 20 even pounds since late March, and have more to go.  I don't follow a particular diet, just cut back on calories and carbohydrates (my weak spot and the source of my aggravation, LOL) and increase the movement a bit.  I have a goal weight, but not a set goal each month.  Instead, I like to play a game called "how much can I lose in __ time" and see how well I do with that.

Hello, all.  I've lost 14 pounds over the last year and a half on the 5:2 diet - slow but steady.  I find the diet easy to stick to.  I have four more pounds to lose but am finding that last bit hard.....

Husband is slim and the boys are skinny.  On my fasting days, I make lean fish/chicken and lots of veg for all of us, then just add in a buttered/oiled carb for everyone else.

L

I'd like to join! I started Trim Healthy Mama, which is a carb-conscious way of eating, at the end of April and I am down about 10 lbs (I would like to lose another 15-20). I have never been able to stick to any eating plan for the long-term, well...other than eating too much crap. ;)  I'm actually pretty good at that one - lol! I actually think I could stick to this because I really enjoy eating this way. Also, there is a lot of grace in THM...one of the premises is that you eat every 3 to 4 hours, so if you mess up, you just start over in 3 hours. One word of caution...the THM book is full of Christianity, so if that isn't for you, let's just say I warned you.

I would love  to be part of a group to support one another. Excited to see how this might work. :)

I did THM for almost 3 months.  It took a LOT of prep and time in the kitchen, and I lost 0 pounds.  It was very frustrating for me.  Even though it was a lot of work, I liked it because it was quite a bit of food and I was never hungry.  But I think that is one reason I never lost anything.

Dawn

I'd like to join! I started Trim Healthy Mama, which is a carb-conscious way of eating, at the end of April and I am down about 10 lbs (I would like to lose another 15-20). I have never been able to stick to any eating plan for the long-term, well...other than eating too much crap. ;)  I'm actually pretty good at that one - lol! I actually think I could stick to this because I really enjoy eating this way. Also, there is a lot of grace in THM...one of the premises is that you eat every 3 to 4 hours, so if you mess up, you just start over in 3 hours. One word of caution...the THM book is full of Christianity, so if that isn't for you, let's just say I warned you.

I would love  to be part of a group to support one another. Excited to see how this might work. :)

I did THM for almost 3 months.  It took a LOT of prep and time in the kitchen, and I lost 0 pounds.  It was very frustrating for me.  Even though it was a lot of work, I liked it because it was quite a bit of food and I was never hungry.  But I think that is one reason I never lost anything.

Dawn

How frustrating! THM is really working great for me...and I don't spend any more time on food prepping than I did before. I will say that there are many ways to do the plan...and it does work for some and not for others. It is working for me though, which I am so happy about. :)

Can I join? I only want to lose 5-6lbs but I want to lose it badly.  I have always been small and this is new to me. I hadn't gained any weight since I was 14 except for pregnancies until recently. Since I'm short, 5lbs is a lot on me. 

I have hashimoto's and have been gaining about a half pound a month for the past year and a half. I actually eat less than I have in the past but it doesn't seem to matter. I looked at the paleo/auto-immune diet and it looks too hard. I'm going to try to eat less gluten and more protein and veggies and see if paleo-light will help. I don't eat much dairy anyway. I've been keeping track of my calories and doing some light weights and stretching in the evenings. I don't want to start too hardcore because I don't want to get too sore. 

I can't talk to anyone IRL because they will think I am crazy. DH thinks I'm crazy too, but darn if those 5lbs don't annoy me. Even if I don't lose the 5lbs, I'd be happy to at least not keep gaining every month. The women on my mom's side all have thyroid and autoimmune disorders and they all gained a lot of weight in middle age. It's kind of scary. 

My DH could stand to lose a good 20-30lbs but won't diet. I'm hoping that if I cook more paleo then he will at least lose a little. My DS is significantly underweight, and my DDs are all fine. 

I started tracking the calories about 2 weeks ago and have lost at least 1lb, maybe 2. It's hard to tell with the bloating and stuff that comes with menstruation. I've found that I'm very sensitive to salt and caffeine and it makes me gain weight or retain water so I'm focusing on weaning myself off those. I love salt. I love caffeine...I don't think I can give up my morning coffee. 

Welcome Mandy and Berta-

Mandy- that is cool that you guys can workout together though. I've done that some with dh, especially biking and hiking and it is our favorite family time. Do you have a particular plan you are following?

Berta that is awesome that you are doing it together. Hopefully it will be much easier for you now that you are off the prednisone.

Dh has told me he is aiming to lose about 30 lbs more and see where he is at. He was about at that weight when we met and had a bit of pudge but not much. He hasn't been there in years though. He bought a WiiFit yesterday and did a bit with it. He did some laps when we went swimming and is planning to go a couple days a week before work. He used to go swimming after work when he worked nights but then his schedule changed and he couldn't make it before well now they open earlier so he can easily get in 30 minutes. We all took a short walk after supper as well. I'm hoping we can start getting in at least a short walk after we eat so he can get his fasting glucose down. He did really well with eating. I have him on lower carb but not keto, with his carb during the day while he is active.

I was hungry yesterday but it seems to go that way, I didn't have much of an appetite the previous few days (I never do when I start my period- weird I know) and then my body is like starving. Anyway, I try to just roll with my appetite. I put my goal of 6.4 pounds into the Wii, I'm hoping to hit that by the end of July. After that I'd like to lose at least 5 more pounds and anything else is gravy!

Wellllll we don't have a set plan. I'm diabetic and need to be low carb. I also need to limit dairy. Limiting carbs and dairy is my downfall. I love it all.

I enjoy jogging. I have been know to stick with Insanity workouts for a month and quit... no gym for us. Not in budget nor convenient.

I suppose it'll be more counting calories, limiting carbs and dairy, and jogging religiously with bodybweoght exercises like squats, push ups and the like.

Wow, welcome everyone!

Paige of course anyone is welcome, no matter how much they have to lose. fwiw I've been gluten free for about 6 years now and I fought myself about going on the auto-immune diet but I got to the point that I was desperate to start feeling better and my weight kept climbing, it was hard at first but I've adapted and feel good now (well better except for the lack of sleep-thank you baby). I have experience with paleo though. I would say the primary thing would be going all the way gluten free, especially with Hashi's. Good luck to you! I hope you figure out what works!

mom32157- Perhaps this is a week you'll be happy to maintain, huh?

It is great to see a variety of different approaches working for people!

What is everyone's biggest challenge? Mine has got to be sleep, by a mile. I'm not having cravings really but the lack of sleep kills my energy to cook and to be active in general.

Does anyone else have goals for this week? Mine is get more sleep and lose 1.4 lbs by July 1st. I hope to continue with my bodyweight/kettlebell work and walks (sprints here and there if I'm up for it).

I would say the primary thing would be going all the way gluten free, especially with Hashi's. Good luck to you! I hope you figure out what works!

Ugh! That's what everyone says. I just don't think I could ever do it without a diagnosis forcing me and forcing the family to go along with it. And no doctor would check me since my symptoms are pretty mild right now. When I asked the Dr she blew me off. She said my hashi's was obvious but since my tsh is good and my weight isn't bad that I don't need to worry about it or change anything.

My kids and DH are white carb freaks. They already think I'm crazy for not buying food with dyes and additives. They would revolt and the nagging and cheating by bringing stuff home and contaminating the kitchen would be awful and I'd have to buy all new bakeware, right? I can't even get DH to quit buying stuff with milk for DD. I was hoping I could get *some* benefit by avoiding wheat products. I mean, after I finish my chimichanga leftovers. 

My biggest challenge is finding the time to exercise and sleep. I end up doing it late at night after everyone goes to sleep and then I stay up too late because I'm all energized. 

My biggest challenge is just these last four pounds.  It's that round number thing - 9 stone.  If I think in pounds, then I'm already at a round number - 130.  In kilos, 59.

I've posted this before, but I've been having fun tracking my way through the countries on this site.  I know that BMI is not a perfect measure, but it's been fun.

L

My biggest challenge is feeding my family. My dh works out of town most of the time and sadly my kids are picky!!! We are dealing with some food issues with ds and it is difficult for me to make sure he is fed while keeping myself (mostly) away from carbs. I love food and love planning food, so doing my lower carb diet with new flours and such works fine for me. But food has become such a THING for ds...it makes dinner time extremely frustrating. Seriously, the kid wants to live on goldfish crackers, pizza, hot dogs, and pancakes. I think he might benefit from a gluten free diet, but the thought of going through that, when I'm not sure it would help him, is just scary for me. So I will just keep serving good, healthy foods and hope (for now) that he starts to enjoy them.

I did realize today that if I lose just two more pounds, I will weigh less than I weighed when I got pregnant with ds. I haven't been that weight in 11 years...so that's exciting!!

Paige- I got the line about how I wasn't overweight either and my tsh isn't "bad" but it isn't optimal and my weight was going up and up and personally wanted to address it before my body kills my thyroid and I'm really overweight. I was feeling really rotten as well. I think the evidence for going gf for Hashi's is pretty compelling though. I was already Celiac however so it wasn't a big factor for me (my last pregnancy really triggered it I believe). You have to be committed though as it isn't easy (not to be a downer) but if you decide to try it you can always just give it a 2wk or 30 day trial. You don't have to commit to a lifetime off the bat. 

Laura- I like the calculator. I'm like a women from the Philippines right now :) I like round numbers too, that's why my goals are in 5 lb increments :)

Kate- WooHOO! Ya for you! Almost there!

I've posted this before, but I've been having fun tracking my way through the countries on this site.  I know that BMI is not a perfect measure, but it's been fun.

Interesting link!  I didn't change it from kg to pounds when I did it and my results were "Your BMI is higher than 100% of your own country and of the rest of the world, too."  :ohmy:   It wasn't quite so dire when I fixed that little bit.  :)

Milovany- LOL- 

I'm so proud of dh he is really embracing this all. He wore a pedometer yesterday and got 15k steps and it was a slow day for him. Besides our walk he also did some exercises when we got home and is trying to cut his carb count even further. 

I'll check in periodically too. I've been doing Trim Healthy Mama too since February--loosely. It's one of those things I have to change one thing at a time.

I'd lost 30 lbs eating paleo last year. But stalled out. 

I'm still stalled out. As in no pounds going down. 

But YESTERDAY..... I bought a pair of size 12 blue jean shorts. :)) 

Inches are coming off even though the scale hasn't moved. 

I will join in too!  

I have lost 25 lbs. I worked with a personal trainer/food coach who got me started and I've worked on my own since then, although I took a lot of time off last summer/fall/winter. My goal this summer is to lose 10 before Labor Day.  I'm on My Fitness Pal if anyone wants to friend me (MFP was KEY in my 25 lb weight loss!). Message me if you want to know my username--it involves my last name so I'm not going to post it here.  (ETA: I am on week 3 of a nutritional cleanse so I haven't been posting much in My Fitness Pal but will start again in the near future.) 

My family eats the same stuff I do.  We are unprocessed food eaters for the most part.  I haven't been exercising regularly since I had a second-trimester miscarriage last summer that really made my body go haywire.  But now I'm able to do more, so I'm going to increase my exercising!  

I'm really determined to make my 10lbs-by-Labor-Day goal so I'm excited to have a little group where I can check-in here!

I'd like to join in!  I have thyroid issues and gained about 30lbs after having my kids.  Last year I lost about 15 lbs doing whole 30 and I've stalled since then.  I would like to look into immune protocol paleo since paleo works best for me.  Does anyone have any resources they'd be willing to share?

I don't have a goal weight in mind but I think I need to lose about 35 lbs to be healthy. 45 to be college weight, but that might be a pipe dream   :rolleyes: .  My husband and I are both looking to be healthier overall. 

Mango- Congrats, fabulous news on the new shorts! If your not already you should start measuring inches to keep track!

Pehp- Welcome! Congrats on your loss so far, it seems we have a similar goal.

Alexigail- Check out www.paleomom.com for more details about the auto-immune paleo diet. It is like the whole 30 without eggs, nuts and nightshades. The Whole 30 site actually has a auto-immune shopping list, they tend to vary a bit from place to place but the basics are the same. Paleo mom actually has a book with a boatload of scientific studies and such about auto-immune diseases and diet. Dr. Terry Wahls has a book about auto-immune disease and diet as well, the Wahl's Protocol and they are doing clinical trials as we speak. 

I'm down .8 pounds today, woot! .6 to go in 6 days!

I'd like to join. At this point in my life, I have a very hard time even thinking much about dieting and/or very intense exercise. I have a LOT of weight to lose, but quite frankly, any weight loss would be a dream come true. And keeping it off also :glare: - keeping it off is my challenge always. 

I'm going to try to eat more mindfully and have smaller portions. 

Exercise-wise: trying an experiment for the next month or so and seeing if it will help with cravings, etc. 

Thank you for starting this, Soror.  :grouphug:

I would like to join in. I lost almost 20 pounds last year and have recently gained 5 back. I lost weight through a jump start with a fad diet, and then I became more conscious about eating healthily. Also, I was put on thyroid medication during this time which I believe helped me to lose weight. My husband would like to lose a bit, too.

Welcome Negin! Progress not perfection, movement is good, eating healthy is good.

Welcome abcinnc! Seems there are many of us trying to recover from thyroid issues. Are you and your husband doing the same thing to lose?

In good news I've lost another .4 of a pound (.2 to go to my July 1 goal). In bad news I'm afraid that I'm losing more because I'm going hyperthyroid. I'm having issues with my heart racing and extreme difficulty going and staying to sleep. I don't know that I'll be taking my hormones this weekend and I believe I will be calling the dr on Mon for a retest. 

Welcome Negin! Progress not perfection, movement is good, eating healthy is good.

In good news I've lost another .4 of a pound (.2 to go to my July 1 goal). In bad news I'm afraid that I'm losing more because I'm going hyperthyroid. I'm having issues with my heart racing and extreme difficulty going and staying to sleep. I don't know that I'll be taking my hormones this weekend and I believe I will be calling the dr on Mon for a retest. 

Thank you, Soror :). 

Great job on your weight loss. Hope that all goes well on your hyperthyroid.  :grouphug:

I'm on the auto-immune paleo diet for Hashimoto's and started thyroid hormones for my hypothyroidism. Starting the diet helped my weight finally start going down, while feeling good and cutting the cravings and the hormones have helped even more. Right now I'm working desperately on improving sleep and increasing my activity level (which go together).

Huh, and while I was eating paleo I gained weight. I also have Hashimoto's and take thyroid meds. Also, eating paleo did not help my auto-immune diseases (I have 2). The whole year I ate paleo my Hashimoto's got worse and my thyroid did as well.

I hope it works for you though. That would be great!

Well I am a bit late joining in but my weight shot up in the past month and my muscle tone has been deteriorating for quite a while.  I need to drop weight and build up muscle strength to support my weakened knee joints or I may be facing joint replacement surgery.  I have Graves disease and hypoglycemia so I need to take into consideration thyroid and blood sugar levels and I am a terrible cook but I need to do something soon.  If you don't mind, I think I will jump on board!  :)

Huh, and while I was eating paleo I gained weight. I also have Hashimoto's and take thyroid meds. Also, eating paleo did not help my auto-immune diseases (I have 2). The whole year I ate paleo my Hashimoto's got worse and my thyroid did as well.

I hope it works for you though. That would be great!

I'm not eating straight Paleo but the auto-immune version. I was having some difficulty with regular paleo/primal, especially when including some dairy as dairy causes issues and weight gain for me. I also I have to watch that I don't let my carbs get too low as that can cause thyroid issues. Right now I'm eating about 100-150 or so. It is easy to go too low carb on paleo though. I also think that on straight paleo people can increase intake of some foods that are bothersome for auto-immune issues and obviously we have individual needs and body chemistry to take into account. The science behind the auto-immune is compelling to me and seems to jive with what has wokred in the past for me.

I'm not eating straight Paleo but the auto-immune version. I was having some difficulty with regular paleo/primal, especially when including some dairy as dairy causes issues and weight gain for me. I also I have to watch that I don't let my carbs get too low as that can cause thyroid issues. Right now I'm eating about 100-150 or so. It is easy to go too low carb on paleo though. I also think that on straight paleo people can increase intake of some foods that are bothersome for auto-immune issues and obviously we have individual needs and body chemistry to take into account. The science behind the auto-immune is compelling to me and seems to jive with what has wokred in the past for me.

Okay, I was doing the regular paleo/primal. I was not getting enough carb or fiber. What's the auto-immune look like?

I'm interested in participating. I feel like I lose poundage ever so slowly, but I think I was in size 12 jeans after my last baby (18 mos ago) and now I'm in size 6, so my shape must be changing! I did drop my body fat percentage 6 points this month (32% to 26%) so that feels good.

Exercise alone only maintains for me. I've recently found Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian diet ideas and am thrilled.

Hi--I'm in.

I started at over 200 lb. Lost over 35 lb--combination

of calorie counting, walking, and stopping

the huge pasta feasts at our house. I

then gained 17 lb in the past couple months.

Fell off the wagon with fried chicken and ice cream.

Trying to get back on it.

Cutting back on carbs. Pretending to think

about paleo.

I am now at 190 lb. Need to lose 40 lb.

DH is 230 lb. He needs to lose about 50 lb.

Thank you for starting this.

My goal is to lose the over 15 lb that I gained in

the past few months, by the end of the summer.

The thing that shocks me the most is how

slowly the weight comes off, but within a week

of a few treat days, I have gained at least 5 lb.

Those 15 lb I gained were over about 2 months,

which is 2 lb a week!!! You can gain weight

crazy fast!!!! I find my body gives me absolutely

no leeway for error--the scale shoots up

with a couple days of movie treats. One box of

raisinets, one packet of hershey's kisses, and

I blow up! Also, the regained weight is coming

back all on my belly, which looks worse than

where it was before!

Anyway, I'm in. I will report every week. This

will help me be good, since I will have some

accountability with this thread.

Okay, I was doing the regular paleo/primal. I was not getting enough carb or fiber. What's the auto-immune look like?

Auto-immune eliminates high inflammatory foods (eggs, nuts, seeds, nightshades, dairy, grains, chocolate), presumably for the first 30 days and then you do trials to see what works for you. However, of course one can eat higher carb with paleo, focusing on starchier and carbier items paleo is often billed as lc. AIP however talks about how lc isn't good, especially with thyroid issues and encourages lots of veggies (ala Wahls protocol). However, I wouldn't just jump into it unless you had health issues. I don't think one should try to make your diet anymore restricted than you have to do. I had tried to loosen up on paleo myself and it just wasn't working for me and then I found out I had Hashi's so right now I'm trying to get to where I'm feeling good and the Hashi's is in remission. After that I plan/hope to go back to a more looser paleo diet for long term.

I did very good with eating this past week. My only "off" day was Tuesday when we were out of town. I only exercised two days though, and I need to do five. I've got to improve there. I lost one pound this week, so that's good.

That's wonderful, one pound a week is a great loss.

I'm interested in participating. I feel like I lose poundage ever so slowly, but I think I was in size 12 jeans after my last baby (18 mos ago) and now I'm in size 6, so my shape must be changing! I did drop my body fat percentage 6 points this month (32% to 26%) so that feels good.

Exercise alone only maintains for me. I've recently found Joel Fuhrman's nutritarian diet ideas and am thrilled.

That's awesome, wonderful that you found something that is working for you, welcome! 

I started at over 200 lb. Lost over 35 lb--combination

of calorie counting, walking, and stopping

the huge pasta feasts at our house. I

then gained 17 lb in the past couple months.

Fell off the wagon with fried chicken and ice cream.

Trying to get back on it.

Cutting back on carbs. Pretending to think

about paleo.

I am now at 190 lb. Need to lose 40 lb.

DH is 230 lb. He needs to lose about 50 lb.

Thank you for starting this.

My goal is to lose the over 15 lb that I gained in

the past few months, by the end of the summer.

First congrats on your loss! It is crazy how much easier it is to gain than to lose but I bet you'll lose a good amount when you get going again.

Dh is at 6.5 lbs lost for the week, just like a man :) I expected it though as he was making some pretty big changes. He also lost an inch in his waist. I'm really proud he resisted temptation several times and is really jazzed about getting in better shape and being healthier.

Oh I would like to join! I have about 8-10 to lose. I am headed back to work in the fall and I really don't want to buy all new clothes a size up from my usual weight. I am down 2 this week, not surprising given it is the first week. I imagine things will slow to a snail's pace from here on out. I am just focusing on clean eating and getting some more exercise.

Sounds like everyone is off to a good start!

soror, please tell me what one does eat after eliminating all those things? Eggs, nuts, seeds, grains (though not a lot) and nightshades I eat everyday. When I was grain free I had um, not enough fiber in my diet even though I eat veggies and fruit a bunch. 

What's funny is that I just read a book about how to prevent Alzheimer's and eggs, nuts, seeds, grains, and dark chocolate are listed as really healthy brain beneficial foods one should eat daily. :lol:

What does in remission mean with Hashi? My antibodies are pretty much the same regardless. My thyroid hormones are now managed with meds. I feel so much better now.

I hope you find you start to feel better soon. I know you've been struggling for awhile.