Menu

7 year old boy handwriting and spelling

My son has been in public school the past two years (k and 1st).  Originally I was working with him prior to kinder and throughout kinder.  Last year we just did the homework school sent home and I am a bit frustrated.  He actually went backwards with regards to many of his skills while he was in school.  Anyway, I feel the need to undo some of the methods and thought processes they have hammered into him because they have created problems where there weren't any. 

One of those issues is handwriting...and spelling kind of gets tied into it because when he's sloppy with his writing (and slow), words that he generally knows how to spell, get spelled incorrectly anyway (even his own name!).  He looks uncomfortable when writing.  I have thought of maybe jumping to cursive as I know some children do better with cursive than print, but just not sure. 

Can anyone tell me their experience with this with boys.  My son's ideas come faster than he is able to write...I just want to find a method to kind of wipe the slate clean and start over with something engaging and not completely painful that moves as quickly as he does!

Thanks!

My son has been in public school the past two years (k and 1st).  Originally I was working with him prior to kinder and throughout kinder.  Last year we just did the homework school sent home and I am a bit frustrated.  He actually went backwards with regards to many of his skills while he was in school.  Anyway, I feel the need to undo some of the methods and thought processes they have hammered into him because they have created problems where there weren't any. 

One of those issues is handwriting...and spelling kind of gets tied into it because when he's sloppy with his writing (and slow), words that he generally knows how to spell, get spelled incorrectly anyway (even his own name!).  He looks uncomfortable when writing.  I have thought of maybe jumping to cursive as I know some children do better with cursive than print, but just not sure. 

Can anyone tell me their experience with this with boys.  My son's ideas come faster than he is able to write...I just want to find a method to kind of wipe the slate clean and start over with something engaging and not completely painful that moves as quickly as he does!

Thanks!

Spalding. :D It addresses reading, spelling, penmanship, basic capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing, all in one fell swoop.