Menu

Should I move to Texas?

Guest jg.jgarcia.jg79

Guest jg.jgarcia.jg79

So I currently live in Kentucky. I want to move, and I have been considering moving to Texas.Should I stay here or should I move to Texas? I've done some research, but i'm still a little unsure. Any advice?

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. We Texans can always be counted on to do a hard sell and it would help to know your particulars and what you hope to find here. I know nothing about Kentucky, so can't do any sort do comparison.

Where in TX?  It is a big state.  Lots of territory to cover.  Houston is different from Corpus Christi or Dallas or Austin or Amarillo.  It is hard to compare to KY without knowing a general location.  What would be your motivation for moving? 

Another Texan, here! Central Texas, that is. I think the Hill Country is beautiful. We're experiencing a drought, though. The lake-levels are well below average and there seems no relief in sight.

Leaving Kentucky would be a tough choice; it's a beautiful state.

We moved from Austin TX to Louisville last year. If you're looking for a growing economy with jobs available everywhere, Texas is so much better there's not even any comparison. Building and expansion is everywhere in the cities. Here in Louisville...not so much. I had always heard that Texas' governor had done an excellent job protecting the state during the downturn, but I didn't have any point of comparison until we moved to KY.

Texas doesn't have state income tax, but it does have stupid-high property taxes. We paid over $4000 in property tax the last year we were in Austin. In Louisville, for a home the same price, the tax is less than $1000. We've found that the cost of living is a wash. Pay is higher in Texas, but expenses are higher. Pay is lower in KY, but expenses are lower.

Texas is also a very hands-off state in terms of government. I was appalled at the homeschooling rules in KY because in TX, there are literally NO rules. You don't have to notify anyone about anything; no rules about what to teach; no required record keeping. It was great, and I really miss that freedom.

HOWEVER. Texas is HOT. Really hot. Like, mid-90s in April or May. Three years ago, we had over 100 days that were over 100 degrees. It's so hot that swimming is not a pleasure from late June on...the pools all feel like bath water. If you don't do well in the heat, I suggest you take that into consideration. I've heard that people in the far North can get depressed in the winter...it got to the point that I got majorly depressed every summer from about June through September, and I had a hard time functioning. Also, the further south you go, the more humid it gets. Austin is very similar to Louisville in its humidity levels. Go further south in TX, and you'll get even more humidity, along with the heat.

Hope that helps!

East Texas is pretty darned special! So. Many. Trees! Small town-ish but not far from real big cities. I live in a small town but am 2hr from DFW and 1.5hr from Shreveport. Plus, very close to Tyler and Longview (the two main East Texas cities). It's humid sometimes, but not ALL the time like Houston. I super duper love it here!

Texas is awesome. But what are you looking for.

And I have to laugh hysterically at people who say it is humid. We moved to San Antonio from southern MD. People are always saying it's so humid here. They are insane.

Never been to MD; however, I was born in Houston (why, yes! I am that rare species - a native Houstonian) and now live outside Austin. People here don't know humid. Even after decades away from Houston and nearly 25 years living in Central Texas I just don't think a day is humid unless I see fish swimming in front of my eyes as I walk outside.

Texas is a big place with a lot of variety. I love living in Houston, but I would never, ever move to Midland. I wouldn't even move to the western suburbs of Houston because of the difference in the microclimates. It really is that diverse. If you tell us what you're looking for or where a job offer is, you'll get more practical advice.

You should also know that Texas' media image is a bit of a caricature. There's a lot of cultural diversity in addition to the physical diversity. Not everyone wants to secede, most big cities are quite blue and Austin really is weird.

As a Texan myself, remember it is a very big state (obviously)....but sometimes outsiders tend to forget that. Saying moving to Texas could be like my saying I'm going to the East Coast. (Will it be South Carolina or Maine?)

I think TX is great...but, for the most part, the weather will be very different than what you are used to. 

Texas is a big place with a lot of variety. I love living in Houston, but I would never, ever move to Midland. I wouldn't even move to the western suburbs of Houston because of the difference in the microclimates. It really is that diverse. If you tell us what you're looking for or where a job offer is, you'll get more practical advice.

You should also know that Texas' media image is a bit of a caricature. There's a lot of cultural diversity in addition to the physical diversity. Not everyone wants to secede, most big cities are quite blue and Austin really is weird.

Just out of curiosity, why? My husband is considering applying for a job there, and I know nothing about the area. I am assuming it is dryer than Central Texas, lol, but that is all I've got.

Just out of curiosity, why? My husband is considering applying for a job there, and I know nothing about the area. I am assuming it is dryer than Central Texas, lol, but that is all I've got.

Dry, flat, & brown is my down and dirty synopsis. Some people love it.

It is almost the antithesis of Central Texas as far as geography, climate, etc.

Texas is either a love-it or hate-it place for most people.  I was born and raised in Texas.  At eight years old, on a trip to Colorado, I told my dad, "Dad, I wasn't supposed to live in Texas, I was supposed to live in Colorado."  :)  That should tell you where I fall on the scale!

That said, many people fall on the love-it side, and maybe you will too.

I couldn't stand the lack of trees. I live in the last vestige of piney forest before the landscape gets drier. It makes a huge difference in my personal happiness to be able to be surrounded by trees. Not everyone has this hang-up and there are people who would be happy in Midland. I know my limits.

Austin is GREEN!

I live SW of Austin in the 'hill country'-- DH works in Austin proper-- he says commute is worth it!

We have 12 acres of TREES on top of a hill with beautiful views...

Nothing dry, flat and brown where I live!

-- PS

Even if the OP has only 1 post we Texans LOVE TO BRAG!

I've lived in CA, OK, IL and Texas-- I L.O.V.E. Texas!

Ditto this. I wouldn't go there, either. 

I couldn't stand the lack of trees. I live in the last vestige of piney forest before the landscape gets drier. It makes a huge difference in my personal happiness to be able to be surrounded by trees. Not everyone has this hang-up and there are people who would be happy in Midland. I know my limits.

I need sun for my personal happiness, so pretty much anywhere in TX I have that covered. :tongue_smilie:  I guess I will have to wait and see if my husband gets called for an interview, then we will all go out there and see if it is somewhere that we could tolerate living. My husband is an avid hunter, though, and I am afraid that flat, dry, and treeless would mean not very much hunting - that might be the dealbreaker for him. He can tolerate a lot for a double in salary, but he won't give up stalking animals through the trees for it, I am sure, lol.

My impressions of TX:

1. The traffic is horrendous. It took us 3 hours to get from one side of the DFW metro to the other. We sat on I-35 for hours trying to get from Dallas to Austin. Austin and San Antonio both have pretty awful rush hours as well (3-8pm).

2. Food prices were reasonable. So were gas prices. Most of the produce is was pretty decent.

3. It is dry. People who don't think TX is dry haven't ventured out into the normally hydrated parts of the US. Most of TX is dry, flat and brown. (As opposed to Colorado which is dry and brown and not flat. Drought is not flattering on you, CO!).

East Texas is pretty darned special! So. Many. Trees! Small town-ish but not far from real big cities. I live in a small town but am 2hr from DFW and 1.5hr from Shreveport. Plus, very close to Tyler and Longview (the two main East Texas cities). It's humid sometimes, but not ALL the time like Houston. I super duper love it here!

Hey, that's where I live. We must be neighbors:)

Just a PSA, you know the Texas Shakespeare festival at Kilgore College is going on, right?

Don't let those stuck up Houstonians and Dallasites talk you out of moving west.  We have cooler weather, bigger skies, less traffic, and nicer folks.  We also have easy access to weekends in the New Mexico mountains.  I grew up in Dallas area and spent a few years in Houston.  I wouldn't trade West Texas to move back to either!

Now you've got me curious. I'm in a western suburb of Houston (my mailing address is Houston, but it's technically Katy) and I've lived here for 20 years. I've never really noticed that huge a difference in climate between Katy and Houston. What differences do you notice? The only difference I've really observed is when you get closer to Galveston or really anywhere on the coast.

OP, it really just depends on what type of work you are looking for. If you're in IT or in energy development, you've got a pretty good chance of making a good living. The COL in my area is pretty low in comparison to most of the country although our property taxes are horrendous and they just raised everyone in our area's appraisals 10% which I believe is the capped amount that they can raise it.

I would suggest that if you were to move here, you'd be better off renting for awhile to figure out what area you want to live in. I know in my town there is a definite North/South divide along the freeway with most of the nicer neighborhoods, schools, and shopping on the South side. I've seen this in a few other towns in Texas as well so it's good to get a real lay of the land before you make your ultimate decision.

I haven't started homeschooling yet because my oldest is only 4, but I really do appreciate the total freedom here. I was a Paraprofessional for the school district for several years at the elementary level and one year at the high school level, and that was enough to convince me not to put my kids in ps here.

I am from Texas originally.  I loved Austin as a kid (in the early 90s) and Rockport/Corpus Christi as a younger kid (in the 80s).  

I would not for all the tea in China live in Texas now.  It is inhospitable.  Traffic, climate, demographics, politics, etc.  

If I had a choice I wouldn't be living where I am (Kansas City) now either, though.