Menu

God is love question

Carrie75

Has anyone heard someone use this statement before? If God is love, then faith in love equals faith in God.

I have a friend who is opposed to religion per se, but says this. Just wondered if she is the only one who feels this way or if there are others.

"God is love" is a direct quote from the Bible, but it is not whole counsel of the Bible about God.

We don't have the right to cherry pick through what God has revealed to us about Himself in order to craft a set of beliefs that are acceptable to us.  That's a very post-modern way to approach things, but it doesn't take into account the presence of actual Truth.  Either God is real or He is not.  Either He has revealed Himself to us or He has not. 

Has anyone heard someone use this statement before? If God is love, then faith in love equals faith in God.

I have a friend who is opposed to religion per se, but says this. Just wondered if she is the only one who feels this way or if there are others.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Faith in love equals faith in god? Like, the bible god or a deist god or a pantheistic/universe is one and we're all connected god? 

Logical fallacy. You might as well say: If Jesus was human, then faith in Jesus equals faith in humanity. That would sure spark a doctrinal debate! Someone has a wonderful comic in their siggy that exemplifies this very well...wish I could remember who.

Who is it that has in their signature that piece that says something about everyone in space has eaten chicken so eating chicken sends you to space, sort of thing.

This type of logic reminds me of that. The problem with it is that God is not defined as just being love. That is one of His attributes, but not his only attribute. The other problem would be in how she might define what love is.

Who is it that has in their signature that piece that says something about everyone in space has eaten chicken so eating chicken sends you to space, sort of thing.

This type of logic reminds me of that. The problem with it is that God is not defined as just being love. That is one of His attributes, but not his only attribute. The other problem would be in how she might define what love is.

Yup. That's exactly the one I'm talking about!  :001_smile: