Menu

5-HTP success stories and tips

IfIOnly

I've had a Naturopath Dr. (years ago) and MD (recently) suggest that I'm low in serotonin.  The ND did medical tests showing that I am low in progesterone and cortisol which are precursers to serotonin.   I agree with their assessments, but it's their different RXs that have me trying to find a middle ground between the two.  

ND suggested homeopathics primarily and a nutritional supplement secondarily.  I know now that not all NDs go the homeopathic route, but I didn't do my homework at the time.  The MD is suggesting an antideppresant called cymbalta.  After researching the side effects and hearing the scary experiences and side effects, I just can't do the antidepressant without giving more natural measures a fair trial first. Dh feels the same way.

I have a friend who has been helped by 5-HTP, and I think that's what I want to try first.  If don't mind sharing what dose and brand helped you, I would appreciate it.  I know it may need to be taken for a while just like a pharmaceutical AD to see results.  I read hundreds of the thousands of reviews on various sites (Amazon for one) of the different supplements and feel like I have a good handle on what side effects to look for and to know when to discontinue.

There is also something about taking the 5-HTP with a harmless protein that has helped others.  I'm kind of fried on research right now, so if you're knowledgeable about this, I'd love to hear more.  

Also, I'm going to start taking low doses of OTC cortisol and progesterone.  I'm very familiar with the progesterone cream as I've had to take it with several of our children because my levels were so low. After my research, I have no problem with these supplements.   I'll mention it to my Dr. when I see her next.  

Thanks so much!

I have a genetic mutation that is responsbile for my lowered serotonin and precurser levels.

I've had prescription antidepressants, and used 5-htp. (along with high quality b-complex as my body doesn't absorb/use b-vitamins well.)  there are other supplments that can go along with the 5-htp to improve mood.

I chose 5-htp hands down- it's a much better improvment to the mood, more functional, and no side-effects.  I had been taking 100mg - as that was what the bottle said as a limit.  I wasn't noticing much, and had thought it didn't work for me.   then I was reading something, and decided I'd do on in the am and one pm.  it was much better.  then my dr (DO) said I could take up to __mg per day, and I decided to up it to two am, and one pm. (still under the max she gave me.)  it was much better - my motivation increased too as well as mood.

eta: as for brand, I have only used NOW and tried whatever costco sells.  I did NOT like the one from costco, and buy almost nothing in the supplement section of costco. I do not like their (lack) of quality.  I've been unhappy with almost all of them.  (I use their d3 - which may also be low for you and can be a big factor in mood - but that's it.)

speaking of d3 - did you have your d3 numbers checked?  the recommendation used to be above 30 for general health, but I've heard recommendations of a blood serum level above 50.  it can play a big part in mood stability.  I take 4,000 IU's a day (plus whatever is in my multi)  In a year, my d3 level rose 9 points, up to 43.  

A website I found recently in reading about neurotransmitters, FWIW:  http://www.neurosupport.com/ (interesting articles along the left side)

I don't know the extent to which it is possible, but I'd like to know whether there were possible deficiencies of co-factors before supplementing directly with precursors.  At least that would be my information goal (we have another appt with a nutritionist this week).

At any rate, it seems like it's worth a try, understanding that one might need to alter dosage and additional supplements.  I gave my ds some 5HTP along with tyrosine the other day and it did nothing, unfortunately (dealing with some anxiety/OCD stuff).

there are blood tests that will tell you what those cofactor blood levels are.  three of my kids have had them.  not sure a nutritionist would do them.

one reason I don't like anti-depressants, they do not take into account levels of precurors or cofactors.

as for brands - my ND likes thorne, but they're expensive.  (I buy them off amazon, same price as everywehre else)

I saw the picture of justina and her "stuff" and I could recognize a thorne bottle.  :)  they all have pictures of a crystal on teh front.

A website I found recently in reading about neurotransmitters, FWIW:  http://www.neurosupport.com/ (interesting articles along the left side)

I don't know the extent to which it is possible, but I'd like to know whether there were possible deficiencies of co-factors before supplementing directly with precursors.  At least that would be my information goal (we have another appt with a nutritionist this week).

At any rate, it seems like it's worth a try, understanding that one might need to alter dosage and additional supplements.  I gave my ds some 5HTP along with tyrosine the other day and it did nothing, unfortunately (dealing with some anxiety/OCD stuff).

My ultimate goal would be to find the cause of the problem, if possible, and then fix it (e.g something in the intestines?  highly controversial, I realize)

ITA.  I've had GI tests that show that my system is a wreck.

I think in my case though that I do need some support to be able to implement major dietary, physical (exercise), and supplemental stuff.  I've been trying for years and when I fail by getting overwhelmed or not being able to keep up with the work, it's gets harder each time and I get more discouraged.  It almost feels like a hopeless situation, and I'm finally starting to see that it's probably the depression (symptom most likely in my case) keeping me in this cycle.  .

there are blood tests that will tell you what those cofactor blood levels are.  three of my kids have had them.  not sure a nutritionist would do them.

one reason I don't like anti-depressants, they do not take into account levels of precurors or cofactors.

The articles were so over my heard, but is there are simple link you have that will explain what the cofactors are and what the tests are?  

I have a genetic mutation that is responsbile for my lowered serotonin and precurser levels.

I've had prescription antidepressants, and used 5-htp. (along with high quality b-complex as my body doesn't absorb/use b-vitamins well.)  there are other supplments that can go along with the 5-htp to improve mood.

I chose 5-htp hands down- it's a much better improvment to the mood, more functional, and no side-effects.  I had been taking 100mg - as that was what the bottle said as a limit.  I wasn't noticing much, and had thought it didn't work for me.   then I was reading something, and decided I'd do on in the am and one pm.  it was much better.  then my dr (DO) said I could take up to __mg per day, and I decided to up it to two am, and one pm. (still under the max she gave me.)  it was much better - my motivation increased too as well as mood.

eta: as for brand, I have only used NOW and tried whatever costco sells.  I did NOT like the one from costco, and buy almost nothing in the supplement section of costco. I do not like their (lack) of quality.  I've been unhappy with almost all of them.  (I use their d3 - which may also be low for you and can be a big factor in mood - but that's it.)

I did find out that my vitamin d levels were borderline, took it for awhile and actually felt some improvement.  it wasn't enough/all that i was hoping for and I just stopped.  I like the d3/5-htp combo. Thank you!!

I take 100 mg a day of 5-HTP. It works very, very well for me. I started with 50 mg a day and then upped it.

Thank you!

Thank you both so much for sharing your experiences.  

I take 100mg of the Natrol brand (available at Costco).

From what I have read:

- don't take if also using an SSRI or other anti-depressant

- separate if also taking fish oil or other Omega-3 supplement (i.e., take one in the am the other in the pm)

My experience:

- very mild; it takes the edge off of the irritability and mood-swings of depression / PMS, and I feel more naturally calm / in control

- if taking at night, I dream a ton, and all very vivid and active, to the point of feeling like I didn't actually "rest"

- I take the 5-HTP in the morning, and fish oil, multi-vitamin, and calcium at night

- for the first few months, I did feel sleepy and "nappy" about 5 hours after taking the 5-HTP, but drinking water, and getting up and getting active helped me "push through"

Other things I have found to be extremely needful/helpful for me maintaining good mental health naturally:

- regular (3-4x/week) aerobic exercise (throws off stress, deep regular breathing, releases endorphins & seratonin) -- for me, swimming laps for 30-40 min/session 3-4x/week, hands-down, has been the single most effective thing I've done to combat depression

- get off of all processed foods, sugar, wheat, and artificial dyes

- you may want to look into also removing grapes, cheese, and mushrooms if Candida Yeast build-up in the digestive track is causing depression (that is one of the symptoms…) -- those foods "feed" the yeast

- several times a day, stop and stretch, and esp. take a minute to take a half dozen deep regular breaths -- breath in, hold for a mental count of 8, slowly release to a mental count of 8 -- also, sometimes tense all muscles while holding the breath and then relax while slowly exhaling (meditation type breathing)

- eat lots of dark leafy greens for B-complex and iron (brain function and energy)

- get outside for a walk around the block or just a change of scene and a moment to mentally refocus on beauty and readjust attitude to one of gratefulness and peace

- stop all screens (TV, computer, e-reader, etc.) 2 hours before bed (allows brain cells to stop firing and calm down for good rest)

- get to bed by 10-11pm, and get a solid 8-9 hours of sleep

BEST of luck in your journey of discovering what helps YOU best restore mental health! Warmest regards, Lori D.

as for brands - my ND likes thorne, but they're expensive.  (I buy them off amazon, same price as everywehre else)

I saw the picture of justina and her "stuff" and I could recognize a thorne bottle.  :)  they all have pictures of a crystal on teh front.

Thank you for this.  Reading reviews I found that some people used other brands but didn't get the results they did with Thorne.  I think I'll go with a less expensive but quality brand first and upgrade if necessary.  

I am diagnosed low progesterone, have borderline low thyroid numbers, and have diagnosed myself :lol:  with low serotonin through the Mood Cure book. I have been using the progesterone cream, taking 500 mg of ltyrosine and am taking the Natrol brand Mood Positive 5 HTP. It has 50 mg 5 HTP as well as b-6 and b12. I also take sublingual b12 and vit d3 when I remember. So, I can't say what it is that is really working, but I do feel better, My b12 levels were low but  I haven't retested to see what they are now. My d3 level was 50, so I take 5000 twice a week or so to keep my levels up. 

I haven't had any side effects. My issue wasn't so much a dark depression, more of a blah and apathy. I do feel better. Maybe it's summer, maybe it's the supplements, I don't know. I think with my progesterone numbers and hitting perimenopause, the cream is probably having the biggest impact. I use Kokoro professional strength that I buy on Amazon. 

I am diagnosed low progesterone, have borderline low thyroid numbers, and have diagnosed myself :lol:  with low serotonin through the Mood Cure book. I have been using the progesterone cream, taking 500 mg of ltyrosine and am taking the Natrol brand Mood Positive 5 HTP. It has 50 mg 5 HTP as well as b-6 and b12. I also take sublingual b12 and vit d3 when I remember. So, I can't say what it is that is really working, but I do feel better, My b12 levels were low but  I haven't retested to see what they are now. My d3 level was 50, so I take 5000 twice a week or so to keep my levels up. 

I haven't had any side effects. My issue wasn't so much a dark depression, more of a blah and apathy. I do feel better. Maybe it's summer, maybe it's the supplements, I don't know. I think with my progesterone numbers and hitting perimenopause, the cream is probably having the biggest impact. I use Kokoro professional strength that I buy on Amazon. 

:lol:  :p

and

me, too, and it's been that way for a while.  I've learned to manage my depression (starting a sleep aid was huge for me) so that I don't get in despair, but I'd like to do better than that.   I do better in the summer, as well.  I was so encouraged to read about people who were able to laugh again on 5htp.  So glad you're felling better and thank you so very much for sharing! 

one thing to please keep in mind with vitamins - molecular form matters!

for example: b12

there is a big difference in how the body reacts between cyanocobalimin (which is very common.  the body must covert it to another form in order to use it, and is left with a waste molecule your liver must get rid of.) and methylcobalamin - which is the form your body actually uses.

you always want to read labels to know which *form* of a vitamin is included.  and if it doesn't tell you the form - save your money because it's probably the cheapest version on the market.

dh picked up some 100mg 5htp at the hfs. Im nervous about side effects but am hoping for the best. it seems like dosage is all over the place for individuals. I think im going to roughly follow this MDs recs:http://www.health-matrix.net/2010/09/03/boosting-your-happy-brain-chemistry-with-5-htp/

so I guess ill start with 100 mg and take with food, wait 4 days and go up. to 200, and then repeat til at 300 mg. then see if that works and if not try up to 500 mg.

I've used 5htp for a few years on and off with out any side effects. I found I don't need a very high dose. I get bad side effects from so many other things I was surprised not to get them from 5htp.

This has been my experience too.  For dosage I prefer to take 200mg, but currently I'm getting by on 100 b/c I need to save money.  

Be sure to do your research about interactions w/ other meds and supplements.  

Glad I check the board today. I've dabbled a bit with HTP-5 with one of my students but I did not stick with it consistently. Mainly because of the cost being so high. I am learning a lot here!

I don't find the cost that bad.  I mostly use Natrol, though last month I bought Doctor's Best (I think that's the brand name) from Walgreens b/c they had a sale.  2 months worth cost about $11.  

This has been my experience too.  For dosage I prefer to take 200mg, but currently I'm getting by on 100 b/c I need to save money.  

Be sure to do your research about interactions w/ other meds and supplements.  

:grouphug:  

I didn't have any reactions taking the 5htp last night.  I was concerned about the side effects of getting a stomachache (common side effect, but I took it with food) or not being able to sleep (since 5htp can keep some people up and they have to take it in the am), but I was fine.  I had no problem sleeping but my dreams were more vivid but not scary or anything.  From what I read people still had good sleep and better mood even with the vivid dreams, so for now I'm okay with that.  

I'm really not sure when I should try upping to 200mg, especially since the mood effects can take a while to happen.  I don't want to take so much that its making me feel worse not better.  Also, some people get drowsy taking it in the daytime so need to take it before bed.  I guess I'll just try taking it in the am soonish and see what happens. 

Guest markdjacobs

I started taking 5-HTP several months ago as I found a lot of people talking about it in the context of mental health. I found pretty much straight away that it made me feel more 'me' and helped me to wake up in the morning. And I feel more tired at night time too, so I sleep better. I would recommend the patches though rather than the tablets because they help to overcome the issue of serotonin going up and down every time you take a tablet and personally I just find them more convenient. Also I don't get stomach aches anymore yay!

Update:  I got immediate, miraculous results from 5htp.  Then I started not sleeping (one of the side effects for some and so it's rec. to take it in the am) and took a few days off, then, the depression just hit hard.  Hopelessness, despair, suicidal thoughts (had these for year and I've learned to deal with them though, and just ignore/resist them).  Started taking them in the am and everything's bright and sunny again.  No depression at all.   I feel like my old self which is weird because it makes me feel so young again.  You know when you were a kid and had no worries?  Kind of like that.  It's nice.

I don't know if my sleep is being disturbed because I've had coffee later in the day the last few days (family visiting and needing that boost), so hopefully I sleep okay from here on.  I know it can be hard to find what works for you and dose for raising serotonin levels, so this may be a process. 

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.depressionblog.com/archives/000043.shtmlote:

"For those wondering what a large dose is, some of the newest studies have shown that as little as 10 – 25 mg per day or a couple of times a day, is enough.

In Canada we can easily purchase 5-HTP standardized to contain 5% which is a 25mg pill. We can also purchase it standardized to 10% equalling a 50 mg pill.

What I have gathered from reading suggestions of starting off with 25mg a day, it says you may need to crack a pill in half – so I am assuming it is harder to find 25 mg pills or low dose pills in some places.

I have also read that the most recent studies have found there is a very narrow window of how much drug one needs in their system to work efficiently within each individual and it substantially varies among each person.

Awe, the loveliness of being an individual.

The only way to find out how much YOU should be taking is by starting off with the low dose of 25mg in the morning and again at night. Take this for four days and then increase to 50. Again four days later, increase to 75.

You may find that before you even reach the 75mg mark, you have found what works. Many, many people are taking too much.

If you are incurring upset stomach, nausea, or other side effects, (after the first few days) then you are probably over dosing yourself. Cut the amount back even if it means braking a pill in half. If after some time, you feel the dose is not working well enough, you can always increase it again by another 25mg.

I can’t even imagine taking 300mg at one time, let along several times a day. Just the thought of it makes my stomach go queasy.

They have also read that research is showing there is no difference in taking high doses 1,200mg a day or taking (what they THEN called low doses) 300mg a day in the effectiveness of the supplement. The difference that was noted was side effects – NOT effectiveness. So if you are feeling bad, try cutting back. Take some time to investigate this. Don’t just take my word for it."