Menu

What is the best "fashion" advice you've received?

unsinkable

I tend to lean towards the t-shirts and jeans end of the spectrum. But I realized I look so much better in V-neck shirts after seeing something to that effect on a TV show.

The best advice I've received:

I had a dress I loved that I wore in winter w/tall boots and I wanted something similar for spring/summer. But I couldn't find one anywhere.

I was telling another woman about my problem and she said to just buy a crocheted shrug and new jewelry and wear it with flats instead of boots. So I did!

And I've worn the shrug and jewelry over a tank top with jeans, too!

I thought she was a genius! :lol: she probably thought I was a moron, that it never occurred to me.

Fitted over loose or loose over fitted. Or as my fashion-conscious grandmother phrased it, "Baggy top and bottom and you'll look like a babushka. Tight top and bottom? Well, I shouldn't say what you'll look like."

And while it isn't fashion, exactly, my most useful look-your-best advice (also from Grandma) was Stand Up Straight.

Wear the right-sized bra.

Yes!  

I hate trying to find the right size bra (small boned but busty), and now that I'm nowhere near even on both sides (breast cancer), it is virtually impossible...but when I DO find one that actually fits, it makes a huge difference in not only how decent my clothes look but how comfortably they fit.  And I didn't really understand how to find a well fitting bra until I went with someone else to help her shop.  Great advice!

Yes on the bra. Last year I used splurge money to buy myself 2 nice bras from a shop where they fitted me. Yes, I wear a strange size, which is why I never had owned a bra that fit before. But they are soooooo comfortable. And I feel secure. No bouncing or weird lumps. Sorry-TMI.

On What Not to Wear, I learned that ladies like myself, who are...well-endowed...should wear low-cut necklines. I had avoided that because it felt too revealing. But I realize now I look MUCH better with a v-neck or scoop-neck t or blouse that is unbuttoned one button, than I did in turtlenecks and other high necklines. I just look more proportioned somehow.

I also learned how to live with curly hair and it's made a big difference in my confidence in my appearance. I hated how it looked before, because I was trying to make it do things it is not capable of doing-look smooth and neat. Well, it can look neat, but not smooth.

Jeans with small back pockets makes your bottom look smaller. Such a simple thing, but once I heard that I started noticing that a lot of brands (including gap and old navy) have huge pockets that extend far down and emphasize things I'd rather not.

I think the exact opposite.  Small back pockets rarely flatter anyone's backside.  

* Have one "interest" piece to your outfit, but no more. If you're wearing jeans and a plain t, put on a nice necklace or scarf. If you're wearing a top with a bold print, keep the bottom half plain and wear simple accessories.

* Every woman needs at least one tube of red lipstick. (of course, finding the right shade of red for your skin tone can take some effort, but when you find it, rock it!)

Wear beige under garments over light colored clothes. I was taught this as a teen.

??? Over ???

Best advice I ever received was to learn which colors work best with my skin tone and use them closest to my face.

Getting things tailored can make a gigantic difference.

When I was just starting work after college, my Mom took me to a store called Jacobson's (no longer exists) to buy some nice work clothes.  They had a seamstress on staff, who would come "fit" the clothes to you for maybe $10 (depends on what you had done, but it was not a lot)I .  I have short arms and legs, so she shortened the sleeves on my jacket and did some alterations on the pants.  It made such a difference.

If I knew a good, affordable seamstress, I'd take some of my favorite pieces and have them all tailored.  

Some one already said check yourself in the mirror, but I'll add check in the mirror from BEHIND too  :)

Learned for myself that thin waistbands look terrible on most people.  Wider waistbands seem to be far more flattering.

ETA: Fitted - skinny fitted waistbands that dig into the waist.

The whole winter/spring/summer/fall colors thing was very helpful. I'm in between a summer and a winter, but it was so helpful. I stopped wearing the color that was in vogue and now only wear what looks good with my skin, eyes, hair. When colors I look nice in are "in", I buy more clothes.

No, they stay put and don't budge an inch. I spent ~$35 for a pair of the Spanx hose which I thought was outrageous, but I've worn them twice now and think they're worth every penny.

Also, TMI but I use the gusset when I use the restroom so I'm not messing with the waistband at all. this may help prevent the rolling.

I always feel naked with the spanx with the gusset.  I'd feel better if it had snaps or something, like old-fashioned bodysuits did.

Advice...  The most flattering cuffs and hems are at the narrowest parts of your body.  Shorts or a skirt that cuts off at the widest part of your leg is only going to make a skinny person look fat.

Narrow parts are generally: in the thigh gap (if you are so blessed), just above the knee, just below the knee, and at the ankle.

And...  For trendy items, get cheap stuff from a store like Forever 21.  For classic items that will look good as long as they fit, go to a nice department store (the sort that has free alterations), ask the salesperson for advice about nice values, and take advantage of the free alterations.

I just learned this from the saleswoman in the nordstrom dress department: high-waisted Spanx with no underwear. I cannot believe how much this smoothed out my bulgy bits.

Yes! I just bought a Dress Barn brand of that style shapewear. It makes a big difference in how I look and feel. I haven't had any problems with rolling.

Wear your actual size is a good one...if it's too big or too small, it will make you look bigger than you are.

The other one is something like dress in threes. So, if you're wearing jeans and a shirt, add a third item. A blazer, a scarf, something to complete your outfit. Makes you look much more polished.

Three things:

Get a properly fitting bra. (from my mom)

Wear clothes that fit you. (from a friend I admired who also lost a lot of weight)

Quit pretending you aren't tall and wear some heels, already! (from my husband)

Stick with a basic color or two and build your wardrobe around that. Mine are black white and blue.  I have three black skirts, one tan, and one grey. I have nude, black, and brown heels. I have two black cardigans and one white. All of my blouses and camisoles go with any of this. Putting together outfits that look completely new but are just mixing up my pieces is really easy. 

What stores offer free alterations? (I'm seriously asking for examples) I've never heard of that or thought to ask.

Yes, this!

I have been trying to figure out what store (Detroit area) I can go to to get well made classics - and maybe even have them fitted.  Oh, and in plus sizes.  Does that rule me out?

I think the exact opposite. Small back pockets rarely flatter anyone's backside.

Hmmm... It looks like it has more to do with where they start and end rather than size:

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/mom-jeans-and-dreaded-long-butt.html

Mom jeans often have the same size pockets but start higher and end before the curve. Nice fitting jeans have pockets that start lower down. I think smaller (but not too small) pockets just happen to hit me at the right spot for my body shape on most jeans and that's why it works for me.

Hmmm... It looks like it has more to do with where they start and end rather than size:

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/mom-jeans-and-dreaded-long-butt.html

Mom jeans often have the same size pockets but start higher and end before the curve. Nice fitting jeans have pockets that start lower down. I think smaller (but not too small) pockets just happen to hit me at the right spot for my body shape on most jeans and that's why it works for me.

Where should the pockets go if my a$$ looks like two hams in a grocery sack?!

:lol:

I got a big back end, even when I am thin.

I learned a lot from watching Trinny and Susannah in the original BBC's "what not to wear".  This rule generator is useful.

I need to look put together for work, but don't have much time to think about what to wear in the morning.  What has worked out well  was to throw all my clothes on the bed and spend a morning putting together outfits.  I purged everything that didn't fit properly or which I no longer felt good in and I wrote each oufit down, including accessories and shoes. Now I keep the notebook in my closet and just flip a page every work morning. 

Yes, this!

I have been trying to figure out what store (Detroit area) I can go to to get well made classics - and maybe even have them fitted.  Oh, and in plus sizes.  Does that rule me out?

Nordstrom's at Somerset and whomever bought out Hudson's probably have seamstresses on staff.  I'm sure Needless Markup and Saks do as well, but I'd try the previous two first. :)

Talbots has plus sizes, and might have a seamstress. Catherine's might as well.  Just call.

I miss mom jeans. They look a lot better on me than anything now does. I love high-waisted pants. Poo.

Take heart. High waists will come back and the people who are calling them "mom jeans" now will be the same fashionistas who are going on and on about great they are. I can hear them now. "Why would anyone wear low-rise jeans. They're so awful. They create muffin top and and make your legs look shorter. They give you a stretched torso! Such a fashion disaster!"

I've come to the conclusion that "mom jeans" is whatever jeans were in style twenty years ago. Pants that fall at the natural waist will come back, but they'll act like it's a new thing.

I learned a lot from watching Trinny and Susannah in the original BBC's "what not to wear".  This rule generator is useful.

I need to look put together for work, but don't have much time to think about what to wear in the morning.  What has worked out well  was to throw all my clothes on the bed and spend a morning putting together outfits.  I purged everything that didn't fit properly or which I no longer felt good in and I wrote each oufit down, including accessories and shoes. Now I keep the notebook in my closet and just flip a page every work morning. 

I loved Trinny and Susannah. I had never heard the term "mutton dressed as lamb" before watching them...such an awesomely descriptive phrase!

Now, if i could just figure out shoes. I *NEED* comfort... 

The Walking Company is great - even better if you have an actual store near you. 

Those red and yellow plaid pants really don't go with the different-red and different-yellow striped shirt.

:lol:

I seriously need to find one. 

If I knew a good, affordable seamstress, I'd take some of my favorite pieces and have them all tailored.  

I just learned this from the saleswoman in the nordstrom dress department: high-waisted Spanx with no underwear. I cannot believe how much this smoothed out my bulgy bits.

I often wonder about Spanx and the extremely hot weather where we live. 

What stores offer free alterations? (I'm seriously asking for examples) I've never heard of that or thought to ask.

Yes, I hope someone here can give suggestions also. 

The other one is something like dress in threes. So, if you're wearing jeans and a shirt, add a third item. A blazer, a scarf, something to complete your outfit. Makes you look much more polished.

I've heard this before, but wonder how practical it would look here in the tropics - a blazer or scarf - pretty much any third item that I can think of would feel hot. 

I miss mom jeans. They look a lot better on me than anything now does. I love high-waisted pants. Poo.

I definitely think that that a big reason that back fat and love handles are such a problem now is that clothing is often so ill-fitted and/or the cut is just not suitable. The term "muffin top" only came into existence when hipster styles came into fashion  :glare:. 

I do wish that designers would stop, stop, stop with all the sleeveless dresses and tops. Most women do not look good in them - especially after the age of 25 or so. 

Charla Krupp's book is great.  

Take heart. High waists will come back and the people who are calling them "mom jeans" now will be the same fashionistas who are going on and on about great they are. I can hear them now. "Why would anyone wear low-rise jeans. They're so awful. They create muffin top and and make your legs look shorter. They give you a stretched torso! Such a fashion disaster!"

I've come to the conclusion that "mom jeans" is whatever jeans were in style twenty years ago. Pants that fall at the natural waist will come back, but they'll act like it's a new thing.

This. I need to hang around you more often. Love this. I cannot wait for low-rise jeans (as well as all the sleeveless tops and dresses) to go, go, go!

The moment I figured out that makeup is supposed to be used to hide flaws, emphasize strengths, and contour.....magical. Seriously; it had never occurred to me before then. I learned to make my eyes seem wider apart, I "lost" 20 lbs., and my skin looks porcelin smooth instead of beat up by the wind and sun. Awesome.