Menu

Thank you to whoever it was who suggested doing Format Writing for my 13yo...

Nan in Mass

We were doing Writing Strands (successfully) and it suddenly became a huge hassel. Someone said they had switched to Format Writing at the same point and it had been just the thing. I would like to thank them. It has been working nicely for us. My son says the examples are very very bad, but has decided to follow the directions (!!!! - this was our problem with WS) exactly for now with the idea that after he has figured out how to do this, he can go back to being more subtle and making things flow nicely, in his usual style. I think he is right (now that he has pointed it out to me) and am glad he has figured out how to continue improving his writing. Thank you again for the suggestion.

-Nan

I've recommended it before, but it was back in the days of the old board. We moved from WS to Format as well. I agree with your son's assessment...although the examples are not the greatest writing, the method is good. I think it is great that he came up with that assessment himself.

good luck and good grace!

Excellent. I know it was recommended on the old boards--that's where I got the idea. My dd hates it, but then she hates anything to do with expository writing. I think it's great. Plus, I don't have to teach much, and the less I have to teach dd in academics, the happier we are. There are so many other areas I'm constantly teaching her...