Menu

My dd is going to have one more year before high school. For the most part, I have given her the reigns of choosing her studies. She has done quite a nice job with all of this and is extremely excited about what is to come. It is a full plate but we school year round. I am hopeful we will accomplish most or all of this! There are still some subjects up in the air...... Science in particular..... She wanted multiple things for this so we will see where it leads us.

Please share your plans! I love seeing what everyone chooses!

LA:

Writing: IEW CC-B.......if finish early, move to essay writing

Grammar: AG Review Book(every other week) Shakespeare

Lit: LLftLotR, TTC casual discussion (almost finished w/6 week TTC) with Middle Ages book basket

Vocab: Undecided.... Don't think she will need it with all the lit she will be reading.... Could add in IEW's Analyzing Words sheet?? Whatcha think?

Math: 4-5x week

Algebra 1 with Saxon Teacher

This is her second round of Alg. Used TT this past year.

History: 3x week

Middle Ages Level 2 History Odyssey w/Human Odyssey Spine, parts of Project Passport, lots of docs & book basket, Renaissance Festival, Artist/Composer tied in, wall timeline (this subject is her love & her choice)

Geography:

Mapping the World with Art is what she would like to do 1x week.........

Science: 2-3x week

ES Chemistry, Conceptual Physics for Resource Book, Human Body Study (using an array of stuff including some of GuestHollow's schedule), watch agriculture docs.

Current Events over breakfast:

Channel One & CNN

iCivics

Getting started with Spanish (as a family) with workbook (3-4x week) Visual link suppl.

Entrepreneurs, Sewing

IEW Lemonade to Leadership

She sews doll clothes and hopes to sell them on her blog. She is trying to make enough to be able to sell. She is quite good and has learned to make her own patterns.

Health: Nutrition Made Clear(1x week), PE at YMCA, Girls Heath (1x week)

Drama Class, Guitar lessons, keep up piano

Volunteering:

For the past few years she has volunteered at our local ps in the Grade K classrooms reading to children, helping with activities, running errands for teachers, and she has shelved/stamped books in their school library.

She is taking a detour this upcoming year to volunteer at a Theraputic Riding Center at the stables.

Intermingling "How to Become a Superstar Student" throughout the year!

😜

Grammar: AG Review Book(every other week) Shakespeare

Has your daughter been through Analytical Grammar already? I'm trying to decide if we should do a quick run-through of AG or just start the review books. The samples seem to be just a review of what my daughter has already learned in her other grammar programs. I'll give her the post-test to see how she does.

She has gone all the way through.

Post test would give you a better idea about what she knows. Maybe she could go through season 1 at a fast pace to touch on certain elements and only do some exercises if she gets it. Then do season 2, which is a bit more challenging than season 1 & 3. Hummm.... That's a tricky question to answer. Do the post test then see where that leaves you.

Seems like an expensive program to be doing just a bit of it, IMO.

What has she been using up until now?

She has gone all the way through.

Post test would give you a better idea about what she knows. Maybe she could go through season 1 at a fast pace to touch on certain elements and only do some exercises if she gets it. Then do season 2, which is a bit more challenging than season 1 & 3. Hummm.... That's a tricky question to answer. Do the post test then see where that leaves you.

Seems like an expensive program to be doing just a bit of it, IMO.

What has she been using up until now?

She's used MCT and Hake. The post test went well. She did, however, tell me she wants to get the program anyway in case something is presented differently. That doesn't help... :sneaky2: :toetap05:

I'm so OCD... I'll probably order the text so she can skim through it. How can I say no to a request for a grammar book? I'm a pushover...

(Of course, when I see the total for next semester's books, I may change my mind.... ;) )

I do feel reassured that now it's just a matter of keeping things fresh in her mind. The review books look perfect!

Woodland Mist Academy, I definitely had my husband's hairy brows raised at my book totals already!

Good for her that she wants to tackle AG anyways! Not good for the pocketbook, I know!

Maybe you can find it used?

Don't forget to come back to this thread to tell us what you have decided for your transition year!

I would love to do a transition year with my dd, but I think it's only me selfishly wanting to keep her home another year. My dd will be 14 on Sept 9th, so she's always had this birthday that is on the cusp of the normal cut-off. I have 9th grade curricula planned for her. I guess at this point we will just do an extra year in four years if needed. She's academically ready and mature for her age.

What would you do?

My dd will turn 14 in September as well. Most of the girls she went to public school with will be turning 15 starting 9th grade.

In my case, we are interested in dual enrollment for dd. I feel better knowing she will be 17 & 18 at a CC instead of 16&17. I'm not, nor is she, in a hurry to get through high school and be off to college at 17. An extra year of volunteering, shoring up some subjects, and having some interest led studies under her belt is going to do wonders before the high school schedules roll around.

Have you mentioned a transition year to your dd? If so, how does she feel about it?

It is definitely a family decision.

I think Murrayshire is just looking ahead.

My boys are also on the young end for grade - just make the deadline by a few days.  I have tended to think of the transition or gap year as something we'll do later on, at the end of high school, not the end of middle school.  That's interesting.

My dd will turn 14 in September as well. Most of the girls she went to public school with will be turning 15 starting 9th grade.

In my case, we are interested in dual enrollment for dd. I feel better knowing she will be 17 & 18 at a CC instead of 16&17. I'm not, nor is she, in a hurry to get through high school and be off to college at 17. An extra year of volunteering, shoring up some subjects, and having some interest led studies under her belt is going to do wonders before the high school schedules roll around.

Have you mentioned a transition year to your dd? If so, how does she feel about it?

It is definitely a family decision.

I guess we're having kind of a transition year.  Dd will turn 14 in December.  I originally had her a year ahead, but then after 5th, was having a hard time seeing her as a middle schooler already the next year, even though she was still fine where she was academically.  It was basically for maturity reasons. So I moved her ahead doing everything I would have called 6th, but called it 5th again.

Dd's been a bit annoyed about this since.  She's asked if next year can just be 9th after all.  I've told her maybe.  If after the end of the year I determine she's really done 9th grade work, then I'll consider it.  But I'm thinking a better plan would be to have her go to a local math/science charter for the last two years (counting next as 8th), where the 12th year is actually a year of college (but through this high school).  So she'd be a year "ahead" once she starts college for real, but wouldn't graduate early.  If she doesn't get in there, I'm thinking she could dual enroll the last two years, and I could always retroactively count next year as 9th if she's ready to move on at that point.  Or if she totally punts next year and drives me batty, she may just go off to the ps 9th the next year...  (though I'm hoping that doesn't happen.)

Anyway, if you want to know what I've got planned for her:

Lit: Most of LL8, a few other books

Writing: WriteGuide

Vocab/Grammar: MCT WWtW/4Practice

Math: Wilson Hill's Geometry class

History: US w/ Hakim concise & slightly altered Hewitt syllabus

Science: CPO Physics: A First Course

FL: German @ Sat. School

Tech: Java programming

She's also probably going to be doing Robotics and joining Venture Crew.

We are starting "7th" this year, but keeping the idea of a transition year open.  She missed the cut-off by 2 months, but through odd circumstances was able to start K early using an umbrella school and then did 3 years of public school.  We are in the situation where she's smart enough to handle the academics, but between lagging EFs and some social awkwardness (due to her introversion and a language-based LD) giving her another year to mature may be the best thing for her. She would have a hard time in college, or even going to the high school part time for things like drama and art classes. Haven't decided (and I haven't discussed it with her yet).  So I'm following you all to see what your plans are and how the coming year(s) go for you.   :D

I also have a dd who started K at 4 so is kind of a year "ahead" age wise.  It's been my idea all along to do a transition year after 8th grade, so that she would be more "normal" age and graduate hs at 18 rather than 17.  Up till the last few months . . . I don't know, now.  She has matured so very quickly the past couple of months.  I'm starting to see why older, wiser mums say just keep your options open and wait and see . . . I could see just moving along on our current path, and then let the last couple of years of "high school" being largely de at the local cc.  Anyway, I totally get the idea of the transition year and I think about it all the time.  I'm very interested in reading about how it goes with all y'all.

Oh, wait! I think I misunderstood. What is a transition year? I thought it was just a term for transitioning from middle school to high school aka 8th grade.

This is what I took it to mean.

I think Murrayshire is just looking ahead.

My boys are also on the young end for grade - just make the deadline by a few days. I have tended to think of the transition or gap year as something we'll do later on, at the end of high school, not the end of middle school. That's interesting.

I see how this could be confusing to some......

I see a GAP YEAR as a year of no structured school, a self study the year after hs..... Let loose, work, travel, apply to colleges, etc. before jumping into college/career.

We are about to have a TRANSITION YEAR or you could call it 4th year of middle school. She has completed 6,7,8th grades. It could have easily been 5,6,7th grades since I pulled her from public school.

We are happy about our choice, whether weird or not!

This Forum has "What's Planned for Your 1st - 8th grade" threads so why not add a "Whatcha planning for your Transition Year" thread. I know we have some families that have done this on here..... I have read their posts!

Now that this is all cleared up, let me see what ya'll are planning if you are having a transition year.

😉

Makes sense! I was just using the term differently. :)   I had heard of gap years, but not transitions years--at least not by that name.  Thanks for explaining.

Like many others, DD started K at 4 and on our current schedule will graduate at 17.  Right now the plan is to keep progressing without a transition year. Looking ahead, I don't have any real plans for her junior and senior years, I'm just making a list of options: DE at a CC or a 4 year university, IB, AP (outsourced or at home), private school, homeschool, etc. I have a hunch about the path we will start on, but no idea where it will lead.  ;)   

So, I guess we're not doing a transition year after all.  :001_unsure:  Sorry for the confusion!

I would love to do a transition year with my dd, but I think it's only me selfishly wanting to keep her home another year. My dd will be 14 on Sept 9th, so she's always had this birthday that is on the cusp of the normal cut-off. I have 9th grade curricula planned for her. I guess at this point we will just do an extra year in four years if needed. She's academically ready and mature for her age.

What would you do?

I responded to your question in your other thread, but will copy my response here as well:

Why do you need to make a decision now? Your student looks academically strong. I would simply continue where she is with her coursework, keep meticulous records, and postpone the decision whether this is "9th grade" or "transition year". You do not have to decide yet; the hard date to decide is when to declare Junior year for the PSAT. I'd keep the options open and ultimately let the student decide. She may not have goals yet, but she may have a definite opinion two years from now.

I responded to your question in your other thread, but will copy my response here as well:

Why do you need to make a decision now? Your student looks academically strong. I would simply continue where she is with her coursework, keep meticulous records, and postpone the decision whether this is "9th grade" or "transition year". You do not have to decide yet; the hard date to decide is when to declare Junior year for the PSAT. I'd keep the options open and ultimately let the student decide. She may not have goals yet, but she may have a definite opinion two years from now.

This is probably what we will do. I'll let her know that it's a possibility to take an extra year since she's a little young, and if she decides to do that at some point we can adjust her transcript to reflect her last four years. Thanks for the replies!

Makes sense! I was just using the term differently. :)   I had heard of gap years, but not transitions years--at least not by that name.  Thanks for explaining.

Like many others, DD started K at 4 and on our current schedule will graduate at 17.  Right now the plan is to keep progressing without a transition year. Looking ahead, I don't have any real plans for her junior and senior years, I'm just making a list of options: DE at a CC or a 4 year university, IB, AP (outsourced or at home), private school, homeschool, etc. I have a hunch about the path we will start on, but no idea where it will lead.  ;)   

So, I guess we're not doing a transition year after all.  :001_unsure:  Sorry for the confusion!

Kinda this.  lol  Next year I will have an 11 year old 8th grader who is working two years ahead of his public school grade.  I take one year at a time, check in with him frequently and offer him the choice of slowing down.  He is doing well both academically and emotionally being in an "advanced" grade at this point so I will take things one year at a time. 

Evidently we are not doing a transition year at this point, either, but I am open to it in the future.  :)