Menu

If using LLftLotR, is Vocab needed separately?

LLftLotR has a worksheet practicing at least a dozen vocab words per chapter, and then there are regular quizzes on the vocab. So if you plan on using the vocab. in the program, I would think that's plenty and you could save the roots study for the following year.

On the other hand, if DD is already familiar with LotR and the vocabulary, then I'd skip the vocabulary in LLftLotR and go with a separate vocab. program. (We skipped the fill-in-the-blank comprehension pages and all the vocab. pages, with no detriment to the program; in fact, it was better to us without the "busy work".)

On a side note: you WILL want some sort of writing program, as there is no writing instruction and no grading rubric, just a suggested writing assignment idea, about one every 1-2 weeks.

Enjoy your journey through Middle Earth! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I was crossing my fingers that you would chime in!

She is not familiar with LOTR vocab...... So looks like we can wait on separate vocab.

She will be using IEW continuation course B for writing. You can see where I have posted on Logic board about dd's transition year. I would link it but I am on my phone. 😉

Thanks for your help, as always, Lori D.

I think it depends on what you are shooting for.  The vocab is nothing that is going to help with SAT prep.  It is more just great for descriptive language and helpful words for future Great Books.

The vocab is from the chapter, so it isn't really anything specific and does not follow a progression.  My son really enjoyed it.  He learned a significant number of words.  They were just random words, and many are of a more antiquated British bent, but it has definintely been positive.

I don't think that adding a bit of vocab would necessarily be overkill if it was something which focused on roots.  The reading intensity of LLftLotR is quite fast paced for some kids.  I'd play it by ear.  If she is easily rockin' it, you could add a bit no problem.  Just be aware if she is already at the point she is being stretched.

...The vocab is nothing that is going to help with SAT prep...

And just an FYI for anyone specifically doing vocabulary programs for the SAT : as of Jan. 2016, that will no longer be an issue, as the current vocabulary portion is being dropped from the new SAT Reasoning test rolling out at the start of 2016, in favor of a "relevant words in context" type of testing… Read more about the upcoming changes at the College Board article "Redesigned SAT".

We will be doing LLftLotR for 8th grade, and I've been debating about dropping our vocabulary program also.  We enjoyed Caesar's English, but I'm concerned about some of the reviews I've of Word Within the Word.  I'm not sure if we will do all the vocabulary from LLftLotR, or if we will even need to (glancing at the vocab lists I think my girls know most of them).  Between reading LotR plus other additional reading I'm adding in, I think we will be okay.

I do need to find out what the changes will be to the new SAT though.