Menu

Elements of Mathematics - could this replace AoPS?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My knee jerk reaction to this is "Khan Academy for people who want something less well-designed and dislike free things."

LOL - I did buy the first unit.  Dd isn't all that crazy about it.  She likes Khan Academy and Alcumus both much better (and free!).  We'll stick with those after she's done with the first unit.

My knee jerk reaction to this is "Khan Academy for people who want something less well-designed and dislike free things."

FWIW, the focus of Elements of Mathematics is entirely different from Khan Academy and serves a different purpose.  KA is strong with explaining procedure and performing drill and weak with explaining concepts and requiring problem solving (I'm not alone in this thought); accordingly, KA may be a good tool for drill.  In contrast, Elements of Mathematics is about building a solid foundation that stretches ways of thinking about numbers - lots of depth.  The interactive graphics (for lack of a better term) are quite nicely done and significantly add to interest.  There is a place for each.

DS just finished the first course today. I've been very happy with it. It is challenging but not insurmountable.  It does require a good bit of attention to detail as it requires thinking in a totally different way from the usual +,-.x, /.   It certainly is effective if you are looking for something that requires a bit of thinking effort from your child.