Menu

Can I vent for a minute without offending anybody? RE lack of secular or catholic homeschool support options...

AimeeM

I have been told many times that I should just sign the SOF, even if I don't agree with it, because it doesn't really matter. :confused1:  Apparently many people in my heavily Catholic area sign protestant SOFs with impunity.

I can't, by my faith, and I wouldn't, even if I could. I have no interest in an exclusionary group. Tbh, I would find anything taught to be suspect.

I have been a member of many secular groups and have never encountered any statement of anything. I have heard some suspicious rumblings about one group I am a part of. The leader is an outspoken atheist, but that has never ever once come up at all in the group. It's a field trip type group. I don't think I have seen her more than twice since joining the group.

I could see having to sign a nonexclusionary statement to join a secular group, just to be clear if one is in an area where proselytizing is the norm.

I guess I will admit to something that others will probably ream me for..but here goes....

The statement of faiths are more or less to keep people from teaching something opposite to what they want to teach their children during group times and such. I treat others and their religions with respect. So, I glance over what they expect, then I sign. I take the statement of faith to not so much be what I believe inside but rather what I am willing to speak about openly at the group and to the children in the group. I do feel people should be allowed to join groups of their own faith and feel safe in them. So, I sign. I doubt I will ever believe anyone else's statement of faith 100%. To me, the statements of faith are more about a code of behavior that a declaration of one's inner belief. I know the first home school group I was in made an altered statement of faith for a Mormon member that she would not teach other people's children contrary to what was in the statement of faith. I have had where early on, I pointed out that I did not fall 100% within the guidelines of the SOF, and they said that is fine, it is more about what you bring to the group and teach the other children.

SO..you could be open with the leaders and ask them to let you promise to just not teach anything to the contrary to the other children in the group. Or you could just sign and not worry about it (just don't violate it during group time). But if this is a big issue with you, where you only want to be in a place where you can preach your own religion, than you will likely have to form your own coop.

But if you're not teaching, why be forced to sign an SOF? At one point in our homeschooling I could and did sign one. I can't now, nor would I "fake it". 

If I'm signing my kid up for a class outside of a theology class, I expect him to learn about that subject, not have a worldview slant on it. 

A couple have been willing to let me sign just to state that I understand the group's beliefs, but their materials and classes are pretty centered on that worldview. I cannot, will not, sign something stating that I *agree* with the SOF, when I don't. To me that is too close to lying (just me, personally).

Honesty is a more important character trait to teach my child, imo, rather than having a class. We never lied about his age for movies or kids' meals, why would I lie about something more important like his education. 

The only group in our town is christian only. Thankfully, ds is at the age where it's pretty irrelevant because he can do dual enrollment just as easily. 

A few years ago, I almost signed my kids up for Classical Conversations because it seemed like a good idea to a newbie.  (We're Jewish and I was going to sign the SOF.)

I use a wide variety of currics - Memoria Press, Rod & Staff, etc.  I have no problem explaining to my kids about others' beliefs - wether the people are in a co-op or the author of a book.

This stuff doesn't bother me at all, just saying.

In no way am I trying to minimize the OP's frustration.   :)  :)

The only actual co-op here not only has a strict Christian statement of faith, but they also have a code of conduct that says they'll kick you out if you swear or don't dress the right way.  So I feel your pain. :P  As non-Christians, not only are we not the right flavor, we aren't even in the right food group.

I haven't read the thread but have run into the same sof issue as active LDS. Our solution was to start our own coop ;) and be decidly inclusive of all. We(myself and a couple like minded friends who started it) have been very successful. We have all religions and "types" of homeschoolers. We offer a variety of classes and when there have been religious based classes we always spell it out at registration and make sure there are other choices offered at the same time. My kids have made great friends, built relationships with awesome adults etc.

Just to encourage you that it can be done and most likely there is a need for it in your area too ;)

I did attempt to start a group a while back. It was a complete disaster. The rabid unschoolers against the more traditionally scholastic - the angst actually had nothing to do with religion! Within no time it split into cliques. I disbanded it not so long after it started :P

One christian group here has a classical co-op that meets twice weekly. Years and years ago when I looked at it, the SOF was fine for a Catholic. By the time my kids were older and I was considering it, they'd changed it enough to eliminate Catholics and are decidedly Protestant now. It's not that big a deal for me because I have inclusive, secular options (blue state perk) but I KNOW I'd be frustrated if I had very little choice or non at all and kids who craved regular, predictable group interaction.