Menu

So many worries and tragedies here lately

Catwoman

I know this is probably a stupid thread to post, but I just wanted to send everyone here a huge hug, and to say that I'm so privileged to know all of you.

There has been so much bad news here on the forum lately, and I keep thinking things can't get any worse, but then they do. There have been terrible accidents, horrible illnesses, the death of a child, and now Moira has passed away. I can't even imagine. :crying:

I never told Moira how nice she was or how funny she was or how I thought she was a great mom, and I'm realizing that I've never told most of you how much your posts mean to me, or how I come here whenever I need advice or whenever I need a break from worrying about something in "real life."

So I'm thanking you now, because I guess we just never know what's around the next corner.

I'm not the type to sit around and pray over every little thing, but I'm saying a prayer for all of us today. :grouphug:

I know this is probably a stupid thread to post, but I just wanted to send everyone here a huge hug, and to say that I'm so privileged to know all of you.

There has been so much bad news here on the forum lately, and I keep thinking things can't get any worse, but then they do. There have been terrible accidents, horrible illnesses, the death of a child, and now Moira has passed away. I can't even imagine. :crying:

I never told Moira how nice she was or how funny she was or how I thought she was a great mom, and I'm realizing that I've never told most of you how much your posts mean to me, or how I come here whenever I need advice or whenever I need a break from worrying about something in "real life."

So I'm thanking you now, because I guess we just never or know what's around the next corner.

I'm not the type to sit around and pray over every little thing, but I'm saying a prayer for all of us today. :grouphug:

:iagree:  and :grouphug: to everyone, especially those dealing with tragedy.

I'm going to watch a Sam Rockwell movie in her honor and eat popcorn and cry. 

I know some people think Internet relationships aren't real, but you know, they can be if you try. I thought of JFS this morning and how she's posted about her children and hoping she will be all right. I've been thinking of you, Rosie, and would love to hug you for real, and Moira....a few months ago she gave me an Amazon gift card (my life is chaotic and broke) so I could watch "The Way, Way Back" with, of course, Sam Rockwell. I learned a lot from here over the years. 

You're right there are so many on here that touch me and while I may never meet you, you mean something to me. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug: We may not always agree with one another, but that would be boring now wouldn't it. 

It's just stunning.

I guess the lesson is to appreciate each other, and articulate that appreciation in the kindest way you can, while you can.

I appreciate you all, every day.

And SWB, once again, it's proven how your vision of a supportive, online community affects far more people than I'll bet you ever dreamed. Thank you.

I just noticed that as soon as Laura Corin passes kalanamak in post counts, kalanamak and nmoira will be next too each other.

I don't know why that gets me so choked up, looking at those numbers and knowing that's it, they won't change.

:crying:  :grouphug:

I just noticed that as soon as Laura Corin passes kalanamak in post counts, kalanamak and nmoira will be next too each other.

I don't know why that gets me so choked up, looking at those numbers and knowing that's it, they won't change.

I can't quite figure out how to put it into words either.

I have been re-reading some of my favorite threads Nmoria posted to and remembering her with bittersweet joy.

It's just stunning.

I guess the lesson is to appreciate each other, and articulate that appreciation in the kindest way you can, while you can.

And SWB, once again, it's proven how your vision of a supportive, online community affects far more people than I'll bet you ever dreamed. Thank you.

Yes, I come here to relax, read, perhaps vent, and hopefully learn something. I've enjoyed this community for many years now.

I'm so saddened at the losses our group has suffered of late.

<sigh>

It's just stunning.

Well said.

Yes to everything, Catwoman.  I haven't been on these boards as a regular poster nearly as long as many, but I have come to truly value the advice and counsel of many here and have definitely formed some friendships, even if we may never meet in real life.  If I were to never be able to post again, for whatever reason. I too want everyone to know that I am grateful for this community.  It has made a significant impact in my family.  My kids and I are in a much better place because of all the wonderful help I have received here.  And I have had some great fun, too.   :)  And my house smells better (thanks for the cat pee advice).   Hugs to those who are suffering.  And thanks to everyone who has impacted my life.

Best wishes.

I've benefitted so much from you guys, whether it be knowledge gained, support, or laughter. I get worried when I notice that I haven't seen someone post in a while. And I wonder how many of us have someone who would/could let the Hive know if something happened. You all are "real" to me. :grouphug:

I don't post often; I'm an introvert so I enjoy the forums quite a bit and I visit daily to read and learn from you all. You ladies feel like friends to me, and I can truly say that I am heartbroken for the losses and tragedies. I still miss Kay and the wisdom she spoke to me in some of her posts and PMs. I appreciate all of you and the opportunity to learn from each of you.

Hugs to you all!

No, no it's not a stupid thread to post. What you wrote was beautiful. I wish I could have you all over for coffee and a girls' night. Seriously. It would be fantastic.

One thing I like about this board is that there are so many differing viewpoints, so many opinions, and yet most of the time, respect despite disagreements. So many smart people, and crazy funny people. I know I can always find a laugh here, or someone to listen.

I'm so sorry about all the recent sadness. The way to get through is to support each other, whether that is IRL or here.

One thing I don't like is that it's through a computer screen. Ah well.

So I'm thanking you now, because I guess we just never or know what's around the next corner.

No, no it's not a stupid thread to post. What you wrote was beautiful. I wish I could have you all over for coffee and a girls' night. Seriously. It would be fantastic.

One thing I like about this board is that there are so many differing viewpoints, so many opinions, and yet most of the time, respect despite disagreements. So many smart people, and crazy funny people. I know I can always find a laugh here, or someone to listen.

I'm so sorry about all the recent sadness. The way to get through is to support each other, whether that is IRL or here.

One thing I don't like is that it's through a computer screen.

So true. I've thought that before, that I wish we could have a big IRL retreat. We could wear tee shirts with our user name and avi on them. What a blast that would be!

In some ways, I feel as though our cyber-relationships are more "real" than many of our IRL relationships. (Stay with me; I promise I'm not going weird." On boards such as these, we "meet" one another without the barriers that exist IRL. We learn things through the topics and threads that are infrequently revealed IRL. I've learned so much from others here that would be unlikely or never in the circles in which I travel. I don't know any Canadians or Australians IRL; I don't know people from some faith or political views IRL. And on an on and on. Even when I do meet people IRL who could greatly change my understanding of the world, I may not discover these things about them until I have known them a very long time. People don't generally walk around saying, "I'm an Atheist; is there anything you wanted to know about that?" ;)

P.S. I have told DD that she needs to tell "my online homeschool ladies" if anything happens to me and I can't post!

Everything is hitting so hard lately. So many, many blows to our community. My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering right now, particularly Laura, Rosie and Moira's families. 

For those who say that we're just "internet friends"....well, maybe. But maybe "internet friends" means friends who don't judge, who support you, offer advice, a shoulder to cry on (virtually, of course), and allow you to screw up and act like an idiot but be welcomed back with grace and love despite it all. If that's an "internet friend"...well, I'll take it.

I have been on these boards for almost 8 years now, and the things I've learned and the people I've gotten to know mean so much to me. It's hard to imagine my life without you guys. I guess that's why I'm in tears. 

So true. I've thought that before, that I wish we could have a big IRL retreat. We could wear tee shirts with our user name and avi on them. What a blast that would be!

In some ways, I feel as though our cyber-relationships are more "real" than many of our IRL relationships. (Stay with me; I promise I'm not going weird." On boards such as these, we "meet" one another without the barriers that exist IRL. We learn things through the topics and threads that are infrequently revealed IRL. I've learned so much from others here that would be unlikely or never in the circles in which I travel. I don't know any Canadians or Australians IRL; I don't know people from some faith or political views IRL. And on an on and on. Even when I do meet people IRL who could greatly change my understanding of the world, I may not discover these things about them until I have known them a very long time. People don't generally walk around saying, "I'm an Atheist; is there anything you wanted to know about that?" ;)

P.S. I have told DD that she needs to tell "my online homeschool ladies" if anything happens to me and I can't post!

half of my facebook friends don't even know I'm in the process of divorce, yet I've posted multiple times about it here. I think about the people I may never have encountered much less approached IRL, yet because of here and we can "talk" almost more openly, I am a grateful to peer into the lives of people and places I may never have the chance to understand without this board. 

You are all "real" to me.  Reading about nmoira made me think of Kay again.  Still miss her greatly.  :(

yes, me too.

Cat - this was a nice idea. I was thinking the same thing earlier about all these sad and worrying things happening to members here.   I wonder if there's anyway to make a Memorial sticky for those from our group we have lost. 

Thanks, Cat. I've been thinking the same thing.

I'm a newbie who has only been posting since last July so my condolences and clicks on the hug smilie probably seem a bit hollow, but they are sincere and I wish I knew you all better so that I could say or do something more meaningful to ease all these tragedies.

Thank you, Cat, for posting this. I've enjoyed these last few years so much coming here to seek advice, read about the lives of others, vent, question, learn, laugh, cry, grow. Thank you to all who have contributed to this wonderful place of refuge. 

Praying we all have peace and comfort and love!   :grouphug:

I'm a newbie who has only been posting since last July so my condolences and clicks on the hug smilie probably seem a bit hollow, but they are sincere and I wish I knew you all better so that I could say or do something more meaningful to ease all these tragedies.

No you're not and no they don't.

This season on the boards just plain sucks.  Not the boards themselves of course but there is just too much sh*t going on, losses and worries, and stresses and it sucks.  I would much rather we get back to the season of kilts and cupcakes and even political throw downs if it means the losses stop.  I am so glad I joined this group back when I did, it's been my happy place, my refuge.  In fact when something happens here irl my first thought is "I wonder what the hive would think about this".  I don't have to have met ya'll in person to know you are my people.  

The board fills a real void in my life for sure. All the people who take time to post their lives, their thoughts, enrich my life, even when I don't understand or agree with them. I was on the old boards all the time when my kids were young and now I am not a home school mom anymore. My youngest just finished her last year of home school. But my life has been too crazy for me to hand out with the girls for a long time and this board has filled that void. I have spent more than a year at a time away from the boards, but I am always rewarded with new information/ thoughts, when I return. I appreciate all the people who come here. If it were not for the board I would not have found my favorite books, workouts, curriculum, parenting techniques.  I have worked an irregular schedule my whole adult life as well as been an active volunteer in children's ministry in my church and now I am self employed, so socializing has always been on the back burner for me. The ladies on the board give me a social group I would not have otherwise. I love and appreciate you all. 

:grouphug:

Life is precious.  Thankful.  I am just thankful for another day, and good friends. 

I've had a difficulty lately (minor comparitively!), and it has been my TWTM friends who have been there for me.  No one irl would understand, let alone care.  You are some of my very best friends ever, even if we never meet.

Cat, that was beautiful, and I'm so glad you posted it.  I've only been here a couple years, but I wonder what I did with all my time before I found these boards!  I will occasionally tell DH something about "a friend on the boards" and he knows exactly what I'm talking about.  I know this is a place I can come to vent, brag, be silly, get advice, or have a delightful debate.  Oh... and ask about homeschooling stuff, too!!  ;) 

And I've learned so, so much from all of you... I admit my views on some things have been changed to a place I never thought they'd be, thanks to conversations from this group.

I'm very thankful for you all. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug: We may not always agree with one another, but that would be boring now wouldn't it. 

And you know... that's what makes us like a big family, isn't it??  We might disagree at the top of our lungs one day, but we'd go to the mats for one another the next.  We've a special place here!

There are so many things I have gained from this community.....so much more than just unbelievable support for educating my children at home.

When we finally got a diagnosis of ASD for our oldest child I found support and advice as I processed and regrouped.

When all around me the homeschool groups seemed to be horrid fits because we are "too this" or "not enough that", this community has made me feel less of an oddball.

Being able to be more candid here than I am IRL about my PTSD and my experiences built up my confidence in speaking up about it IRL.

So many issues I could not express my position on I have, through reading so many of the well stated opinions here, been able to refine and reshape my opinion into a coherent and express-able set of thoughts.

And, when I feel as though I am trudging through some dark and lonely places, I can laugh and be absolutely ridiculous with some of the most hilarious people I have ever had the privilege to have not met face to face.

I just wondered how many of you have met another WTM boardie IRL? Also, if something happened to you, is there someone who would let the other boardies here know?

I met one boardie because I happened to read a post of hers that she was going to a conference I was also attending, so i sent her a PM and we met briefly.

I just wondered how many of you have met another WTM boardie IRL? Also, if something happened to you, is there someone who would let the other boardies here know?

I met one boardie because I happened to read a post of hers that she was going to a conference I was also attending, so i sent her a PM and we met briefly.

Yes.  Milovany, Patty Joanna, TWells, JenniferB....all of these ladies would hear about anything that might happen to me and would make sure to post.

I wasn't going to post to this thread as I try to keep myself distanced a bit but the truth is, between the chat board and my Orthodoxy Social Group, this is where I've found release and community over the past several years.  I don't post often anymore but I read every day.  Thank you to all.  :grouphug:

Not sure if my absence would be noted, but I'm Facebook friends with a couple of people here and IRL in a homeschool group with a couple more.

I've met a skillion boardies IRL.  If I list them, I'll forget someone and that would be sad.  But I can name without thinking hard at all at least 25 boardies I have met and several who have become IRL friends.  Some are no longer posting here, but we met here.  

Yup, there are those who would post if anything serious happened to me, and I, likewise for them.  

I hope we don't have to, though.  

Kalanamak was one I got to meet IRL.  She came to one of the WTM Open Houses I used to host each year.  THOSE were fun.  :0)

I've never been fortunate enough to meet any of you IRL, though I'd love to if the opportunity arose! So no, I don't think anyone here would be able to inform you all.

Would it be morbid to leave instructions for my DH: if I am ever permanently unable to post on the internet, here is a very brief list of groups you must notify. :)

Adding my agreement that this board is truly special, and I am thankful for it.  Recently I met a woman at an event our children were attending--not even homeschool related--and we hit it off right away (unfortunately, she lives two states away) but after a while we realized we were both members of the Hive.  Small world! It felt really great to be in the company of someone who "gets it."  I am thankful for all the advice, support, encouragement, that you all give not just to me but to each other.  I want to be like you all when I grow up.