Menu

Help, please! Need a "basic" Algebra 1 curriculum.

Hi all. I have a 9th grade son with high functioning autism/ADD.  I need a suggestion for the most basic (read: easy) Algebra 1 program out there. No, I'm not a slacker mom. LOL Please no judging. He's just not a math kid at all. We didn't like Teaching textbooks, as I know that's a common recommendation. We need just the very basics. VERY basics to get him enough for an Algebra 1 credit. Has anybody used AGS Algebra 1 or Pacemaker Algebra 1?  This was such a difficult year in math for us. We repeated Pre Algebra, as he wasn't able to do the Algebra 1.  Thanks so much.  :confused1:

• Like 1

I agree that Math U See might be workable.  My mom has it and I know a lot of people have liked it.  

I have a rising 8th grader that struggled horribly in math.  We are still on this journey, too, so my recommendations are based on what people recommended to me, not great success at the other end so take what I say with a grain of salt.  :)

I know how challenging this can be and I wish you all the best.  DD is tackling pre-Algebra in the Fall if all goes well this summer.  We will be using Hands on Equations among other things to prep for the Fall and pre-Algebra but I have heard it works well for solidifying basic Algebra concepts, too.

Have you looked at Hands on Equations for helping with the basics of understanding Algebra 1?  It comes with a DVD that you and your son could watch together.  Very hands on.  There are 27 lessons.  You might do that slowly over the summer then start with Algebra 1 of some kind in the Fall.  Have you considered doing two years of Algebra 1?  I ended up doing that in High School.  I struggled in math. Breaking it up into two years really helped.

You might look at Jacobs Elementary Algebra and going really slowly.  

Or go through the Key to series.  How is he on percents/fractions/decimals?  You could go through the level one workbooks of each of those, then the level twos, level threes, etc. over the summer to make sure he is solid on those, along with Hands On Equations, then do the Key to Algebra workbooks along with Real World Algebra and maybe some Khan Academy videos.

I'm sure others will chime in with more concrete suggestions.

Best wishes and good luck!

• Like 1

Get the Keys to Algebra series. It is composed of 10 leveled workbooks. Each workbook is about 40 pages and he can write directly in the book.

Each workbook starts out simply and gently, each one focuses on a specific topic. Book one is Operations on Integers--when he is done, he'll know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide with positive and negative numbers.

Each book contains a bit of history (in case he likes that sort of thing) some explicit explanation, several examples and a good amount of practice all in the single book. If your boy does them, he'll know Algebra 1

• Like 3

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!! You are the best. OK, I had been looking at the Key to Algebra books, but, from reading  posts in other forums here , was under the impression that it would not be considered a full year of Algebra 1. Not "rigorous" enough. Having looked at the scope and sequence of the KtoA books, they DO seem to be a year of Algebra. I also like the idea of going back this summer to the Key to Fraction, Decimals, Percents, etc. books. 

I have eliminated Math U See, sadly. I like what I see, but think ds would become too distracted with the manipulatives. 

We have the Hands on Equations, but didn't even get to it this year. Another great summer idea! Power Basics is another great idea. I will also look at the homeschoolmathonline site.

Thanks SO SO much. I feel better about tackling this next year. All the options you guys mentioned are perfect.

Thanks,  Nan (who hates the word rigorous! LOL)

• Like 1

I'm not sure but I have heard Lial's comes with excellent explanations. We aren't at Algebra yet (still in MM) but I picked up Lial's basic College Math as well and the PreA and A. You might want to check them out too. I think on a scale, they are considered more incremental and maybe less rigorous.

Good luck.

• Like 1

My son, who actually has pretty good math aptitude, struggled with the sequential aspects of problem solving and with writing those steps down. He had become pretty discouraged and felt like he was no good at math, when he actually understood concepts fairly well. He was successful in making the transition to Algebra by using Hands On Equations and Key to Algebra. Given where he was at in both skill and motivation, it didn't matter whether a program could be called a full-credit course. He just needed to work with the ideas in a way that was broken down into small enough steps and carefully sequenced. These two programs did that for my son.

After he finished Hands On Equations and Key to Algebra, he did the Tablet Class Algebra I curriculum to extend and solidify his understanding. The video instruction worked well for him and the pace of the curriculum is manageable. He then did Tablet Class Algebra II before going into a brick and mortar school and taking their math classes. The pace and sequencing of the curriculum helped him to build his confidence. He is now and advanced math student.

• Like 3

This looks good! Do you know what the difference is between this program and the Tablet classes by the same instructor? Thanks!

Nan

I'm not sure of the differences between these two sites. It looks like the free site gives homeschoolers a taste of the full course materials. I will say that John Zimmerman is personable and accessible. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions you have. My son did Tablet Class Algebra I and Algebra II a few years back. He also did tutoring with Mr. Zimmerman for a few months while he was going through Algebra II. The tutoring really helped my son gain confidence in his math abilities. Mr. Zimmerman only has a small number of tutoring slots available because of his schedule, but it could be worth considering if you are up a brick wall. I receive no compensation from Tablet Class and have rarely mentioned our experience with the tutoring on a public site. We just happen to have had success using the curriculum and the tutoring opportunity.

• Like 2

You might also check out Time 4 Learning. I've read in other forums moms that say the algebra was a perfect fit for their child. Just a thought. (it would come with three other courses for, I believe, $30/mo.) Good luck.

• Like 1

You might also check out Time 4 Learning. I've read in other forums moms that say the algebra was a perfect fit for their child. Just a thought. (it would come with three other courses for, I believe, $30/mo.) Good luck.

We're using Time4Learning this year! It's not bad. I like the Physical Science very much. George Wolf is an amazing teacher. Didn't care for the American History. I do like the English I very much. I looked at the Algebra but felt there wasn't enough practice. DS needs to go over and over things. Of course, I could supplement this with some of the other suggestions. Thanks!

Nan

• Like 1

IMO, Keys to Algebra is good enough to call it a credit.

I also agree that the manipulatives aren't necessary for MUS algebra. 

I'm leaning towards Keys to Algebra. I like that there's ample practice, and it doesn't move too quickly. Thanks!  Nan

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards Keys to Algebra. I like that there's ample practice, and it doesn't move too quickly. Thanks!  Nan

I am using Key to myself to solidify my own math skills.  I was always weak with Fractions especially.  Love Key to Fractions.  I just wish there were more contrast on the page.  I have bad eyesight.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the differences between these two sites. It looks like the free site gives homeschoolers a taste of the full course materials. I will say that John Zimmerman is personable and accessible. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions you have. My son did Tablet Class Algebra I and Algebra II a few years back. He also did tutoring with Mr. Zimmerman for a few months while he was going through Algebra II. The tutoring really helped my son gain confidence in his math abilities. Mr. Zimmerman only has a small number of tutoring slots available because of his schedule, but it could be worth considering if you are up a brick wall. I receive no compensation from Tablet Class and have rarely mentioned our experience with the tutoring on a public site. We just happen to have had success using the curriculum and the tutoring opportunity.

What a nice man! We've been emailing back and forth today and he offered to call and talk about my ds. Very impressive. There's a sale right now on the full course, so I think we might give it a try. Part of the problem is me. There are so many options, and when we hit a wall last year in PreAlgebra, I just tried too many things to see what might work, and we accomplished little.  I need to pick something and stick with it. :banghead:

• Like 2

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. I'm torn between Keys to Algebra, Power Basics Algebra,  and the online Tablet Class. I am a huge part of the problem, as I keep flip flopping. We tried more than a few PreAlgebra programs this year and made less progress than if we had just stuck with one thing. I think I'm looking for THE perfect program, and it doesn't exist. Still obsessing over this one. LOL

• Like 1

I know it isn't popular on this website (many think there isn't enough practice) but I have a friend who has a son who sounds like yours and he has done well with Life Of Fred. The chapters and assignments are short but when I looked through it, I thought it looked well explained. All the math problems are incorporated into the life of Fred, a 5 year old genius professor at KITTENS University in Kansas. If you don't use it, just reading it is a kick.

After doing Lial for several year (my foster daughter IS a math person) and finishing calculus earlier this year, we have now started in Statistics. But we decided to take it easy and we are just doing Life of Fred Stats. It's a hoot.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the Algebra book but I've used several of the AGS science books with my DS. They would be really good choices for a student with dyslexia or other reading struggles because they cover high-school level material but the text is written at about a 3rd or 4th grade reading level.

At my high school, the general ed students take Algebra 1 in a two-year sequence. Algebra 1A covers the first half of a traditional algebra 1 course and algebra 1B covers the second half. Then they take geometry in 11th and in 12th they take either no math (only 3 years are required to graduate), business & consumer math, or algebra 2 if they need that course for CC or trade school.

• Like 2

Life of Fred and Keys to Algebra work well together, if you wanted to try that route. LOF provides some life, and Keys to Algebra provides practice.

One thing I like about Keys to Algebra-there's a real motivating factor in the books being so small and thin and being able to finish a book fairly quickly. Other Algebra books tend to be a bit imposing.

• Like 2

Life of Fred and Keys to Algebra work well together, if you wanted to try that route. LOF provides some life, and Keys to Algebra provides practice.

One thing I like about Keys to Algebra-there's a real motivating factor in the books being so small and thin and being able to finish a book fairly quickly. Other Algebra books tend to be a bit imposing.

Agree with this completely.  At least it motivated me.   :)

• Like 1

More great ideas! We actually tried life of Fred (I think Fractions). I loved it, DS didn't so much. He's a "get to the point" kind of guy. Also, there wasn't enough practice, but I see that there's a workbook for Algebra 1. So, that might work. So much to think about. Thanks for all the ideas.  :thumbup:

How about Basic Algebra by Brown? You can get is used on Amazon. It's a great book. You can also get a teacher edition for it, but make sure the editions match. If you can't find a matching TE, you probably don't even need it. http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Algebra-Richard-G-Brown/dp/0395564808

I was just coming to post this one (there may be more than one edition).  Dolciani is one of the other authors.

• Like 1

CLE Algebra 1 is very simple to use, comes in 10 workbooks that are non threatening, less scary than one giant textbook. LOTS of review in each lesson, which made a huge difference to my son. Also, inexpensive. One lightunit is only $3 or so, so you could get one, try it, show it to him, etc. 

• Like 1

Drum roll!!!!! And the winner is....TabletClass Algebra 1. I like how Mr. Zimmerman presents the topics, there's adequate practice,the tests seem reasonable and his lectures are to the point with great explanations. He was very approachable when I contacted him, and I think this will work. I'm glad the worry is off of me having to teach it all. I vow to stick with this, and NOT change throughout Algebra 1. I think if we go slowly (we plan on doing math during the summer) it's doable.

Thanks so very much for all your thoughts! 

MomatHWTK and Tokyomarie, thanks so much for suggesting I look at John  Zimmerman's math classes! I'd never heard of his programs. 

Nan  :party:

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread.  Time to choose an Algebra I curriculum for my son with ASD. 

He needs:

Step by step incremental instruction

Lots of visuals

Lots of examples

More mastery, some review 

Real life applications would be a bonus

Reading comprehension level is about 4th-5th grade, so basic word problems only.

Thanks!